rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Writing children's books

Writing children's books

I am planning to start writing children's books. Anybody that is into this type of writing? Any tips on how I can become a good writer in this area? How do I become my own illustrator for my children's books?

They say that in order to become a good writer, you need to become a bookworm. Do I have to read lots of children's books in order to become a good children's book writer? Sure, I have read them when I was a kid (mainly in portuguese and spanish), but I am not sure if I should read them now as an adult in order to become a good writer.

Any input is welcome.

Writing children's books

There's a bit of info in this on the Kindle Publishing Club over at the Warrior Forum. Costs money to get in the door, though.

I bet there are some good books on Amazon too.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Writing children's books

Thanks man.

Just checked out the forum and they are charging 97 bucks for the whole year. Do you think that is worth the price? I am finding it to be a bit expensive but if you think that is worth the price then I will probably pay for it.

Writing children's books

Damn - hope I caught this in time.

No. Do not pay that just for their Kindle Publishing club. I don't think it's worth that price.

When I paid it was $45 for a lifetime membership.

For Kindle Publishing, I think you'd be better off with a book called "Write. Publish. Repeat."

You'll have to do some research to find good books on children's lit specifically, but I'm sure there's some great stuff out there.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Writing children's books

Thanks man, I didn't pay for it.

Writing children's books

I recently learned my moms friend is a published childrens author. She is not someone I'm at all impressed with and having seen and read her books I'm not at all impressed but she's having alot of success which really blew me away.

I think finding a good illustrator is probably the biggest thing even more so than the writing.

Writing children's books

Quote: (03-22-2015 10:55 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

I recently learned my moms friend is a published childrens author. She is not someone I'm at all impressed with and having seen and read her books I'm not at all impressed but she's having alot of success which really blew me away.

I think finding a good illustrator is probably the biggest thing even more so than the writing.

How did she market the material?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Writing children's books

Quote: (03-22-2015 10:55 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Not sure about the finding an illustrator part. I was looking at the best sellers in children's books on amazon and they have nearly zero illustration on their books.I think if you are a good story teller, you can succeed without having to do any illustration, it also depends on what children age group you are targeting.

Writing children's books

PM Grasshopper, I believe he has some expertise in this area.