rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

HIIT

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) seems to be the most efficient way to do cardio these days. I've switched between steady state and HIIT for years now, mainly because I am not entirely sold HIIT is better for fat loss. I've done tons of reading on it over the years, but still remain conflicted. I know I sound like a dinosaur, but enlighten me.

What is your HIIT routine?

Do you think it's better than steady state for fat loss? How so?

HIIT

Quote: (05-01-2011 11:04 AM)Luckystar Wrote:  

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) seems to be the most efficient way to do cardio these days. I've switched between steady state and HIIT for years now, mainly because I am not entirely sold HIIT is better for fat loss. I've done tons of reading on it over the years, but still remain conflicted. I know I sound like a dinosaur, but enlighten me.

What is your HIIT routine?

Do you think it's better than steady state for fat loss? How so?
I just started a cutting phase so I´m doing HIIT now. Last year I was running 5-10 miles on the beach 1-2 times a weak and it would take at least 40 minutes. Now I´m doing sprints on the beach, 5 minute warm up, then 5-10 reps of 10-20 second full speed sprints followed by 60-90 seconds rest, then a 5 minute cooldown. The whole thing takes about 20-25 minutes and I definitely like it better because it´s less time consuming and puts less demand on my joints. It definitely gets my heart pumping and doesn´t really get in the way of my leg workout at the gym which I like.

HIIT

Be sure to do anaerobic exerise (weight lifting) while sticking to HIT principles as well.

They are both better for fat loss because cortisol is minimized (and the entire sugar cycle swing), as opposed to high volume workouts (long cardio, high rep weight lifting). Also, testosterone (and other anabolic hormone benefit) is maximized in HIT, especially with weight lifting.

Think of it like this: The higher the intensity (weight/speed), the more anabolic it is. The higher the volume (time jogging/lifting reps), the more hormonally catabolic it is. Anabolic hormones keep tissue in a state of maximum health and repair. Catabolic hormones break down tissue.

Having a maximally efficient insulin response will keep the fat off. That can't be entirely controlled by working out. But sticking to HIT principles will skew your hormones, as much as working out can, in the favor of insulin efficiency / sensitivity.

HIIT

i heard about this a couple years ago, my buddy really dropped alot of weight fairly quickly

HIIT

Quote: (05-02-2011 12:34 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Be sure to do anaerobic exerise (weight lifting) while sticking to HIT principles as well.

They are both better for fat loss because cortisol is minimized (and the entire sugar cycle swing), as opposed to high volume workouts (long cardio, high rep weight lifting). Also, testosterone (and other anabolic hormone benefit) is maximized in HIT, especially with weight lifting.

Think of it like this: The higher the intensity (weight/speed), the more anabolic it is. The higher the volume (time jogging/lifting reps), the more hormonally catabolic it is. Anabolic hormones keep tissue in a state of maximum health and repair. Catabolic hormones break down tissue.

Having a maximally efficient insulin response will keep the fat off. That can't be entirely controlled by working out. But sticking to HIT principles will skew your hormones, as much as working out can, in the favor of insulin efficiency / sensitivity.

Thanks Hydro.

So, what does your HIIT workout look like?

Empty stomach, first thing in morning?

HIIT

Quote: (05-02-2011 01:07 PM)kickboxer Wrote:  

i heard about this a couple years ago, my buddy really dropped alot of weight fairly quickly

How much weight and how quickly? Interested to get some real world feedback.

HIIT

Quote:Quote:

Yup. Exactly. That's the best time to work out, imo.

My workout varies. I don't do much cardio, but if I did it would be wind sprints. I know from my sports days that everything else pales in comparison as far as getting in cardio shape is concerned. Additionally, they best keep in line with HIT principles.

As far as everything else goes, whatever it is for the day, I just try and keep maximum tension on my muscles with the maximum weight that I can handle. So, its usually 4-6 reps. But they are reps where I move very slowly. The extended tension on the muscle is what builds strength, not the reps.

I like using bands because I don't need a spotter and I can do it in my limited space at my house. But I use 2 100 lbs bands on each handle, currently, if I'm working out my chest for instance. You have to get heavy bands if your using a band system to make it worthwhile. Yeah, I would definitely prefer free weights. But I don't have the room here and I don't have a gym membership. For now, the bands work well as long as I keep the tension high and the reps low.

Also, a big consideration is to make SURE that your breath rate stays even and calm when you lift weights. If your breath rate becomes elevated, your body is going to start to release catabolic hormones and you are no longer conditioning your body anaerobically, but aerobically. Aerobic and anaerobic conditioning are at hormonal odds with one another, and so you are counteracting your progress with weights if you lift with an elevated breath rate. Stopping before your breath gets elevated, and working to keep it low, is one of the best ways to make sure that you are lifting slow enough to make a maximal anabolic impact on your body.

Yes, your breath rate gets elevated when doing wind sprints. However its best to think of it like this: Wind sprints are the best way to keep aerobic conditioning as close to anaerobic as possible. So, your still training aerobically, but in a way that has maximum anaerobic/anabolic impact and minimum catabolic impact for an aerobic workout.

The last consideration is to take enough time between workouts. When you train with HIT, you need much more time in-between workouts. Remember that your muscle builds in-between workouts, and if you don't give it a chance to do so without breaking it down again with lifting then you won't realize the maximum benefit of all of your effort. I wait at least 6-7 days before working out the same muscle group again when doing HIT. Thats because HIT is designed to put maximum stress on your muscles, and so the bodies adaptation and recovery from that stress (muscle building) takes longer.

HIIT

he was well over 200 when he started and by the time he left the area for college he told me he was around 190

HIIT

Quote: (05-02-2011 06:42 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

Yup. Exactly. That's the best time to work out, imo.

My workout varies. I don't do much cardio, but if I did it would be wind sprints. I know from my sports days that everything else pales in comparison as far as getting in cardio shape is concerned. Additionally, they best keep in line with HIT principles.

As far as everything else goes, whatever it is for the day, I just try and keep maximum tension on my muscles with the maximum weight that I can handle. So, its usually 4-6 reps. But they are reps where I move very slowly. The extended tension on the muscle is what builds strength, not the reps.

I like using bands because I don't need a spotter and I can do it in my limited space at my house. But I use 2 100 lbs bands on each handle, currently, if I'm working out my chest for instance. You have to get heavy bands if your using a band system to make it worthwhile. Yeah, I would definitely prefer free weights. But I don't have the room here and I don't have a gym membership. For now, the bands work well as long as I keep the tension high and the reps low.

Also, a big consideration is to make SURE that your breath rate stays even and calm when you lift weights. If your breath rate becomes elevated, your body is going to start to release catabolic hormones and you are no longer conditioning your body anaerobically, but aerobically. Aerobic and anaerobic conditioning are at hormonal odds with one another, and so you are counteracting your progress with weights if you lift with an elevated breath rate. Stopping before your breath gets elevated, and working to keep it low, is one of the best ways to make sure that you are lifting slow enough to make a maximal anabolic impact on your body.

Yes, your breath rate gets elevated when doing wind sprints. However its best to think of it like this: Wind sprints are the best way to keep aerobic conditioning as close to anaerobic as possible. So, your still training aerobically, but in a way that has maximum anaerobic/anabolic impact and minimum catabolic impact for an aerobic workout.

The last consideration is to take enough time between workouts. When you train with HIT, you need much more time in-between workouts. Remember that your muscle builds in-between workouts, and if you don't give it a chance to do so without breaking it down again with lifting then you won't realize the maximum benefit of all of your effort. I wait at least 6-7 days before working out the same muscle group again when doing HIT. Thats because HIT is designed to put maximum stress on your muscles, and so the bodies adaptation and recovery from that stress (muscle building) takes longer.

Thanks for all the input, Hydro.

HIIT

It sounds similar to crossfit. Yesterday; 4 rnds 45 secs max front squats w 45lb dumbells 15 sec break then immediatly 45 sec renegade row w 45lb dumbells. I got 137 reps before 5-200 m sprints. Times were 31s,31s,34s,60s (body was locking up @ this point), 32s

HIIT

The last thing to keep in mind is that the number of sets that you do is a secondary consideration. I almost never go above two sets per exercise, and sometimes I stop at one.

That's because I try and tax my muscles enough during those 1-2 sets, using high as possible resistance/weight and doing the reps as slow as possible. I'll do a second set if, after I recover for a few minutes, if my muscles still feel like they are ready to go. However, a lot of times it feels like I will puke if I do one more set, with the second option being to drop the weight dramatically.

I'll notice great gains doing 1-2 sets, and you will too, if you do the sets right. Its not about the numbers, its about the technique with what you do.
[Image: smile.gif]

I would say two sets is optimal, but don't feel bad if you bust your ass hard enough with the first one that your muscles are completely taxed. Especially at the beginning.

Now, if you feel up to three sets then by all means, do three sets. But I would suggest that if you feel up to three sets of anything, that you probably need to either up the weight or slow down your technique. Or both. Just something to consider.

Last, try to keep the time between sets, if you do more than one, to the minimal amount possible. I usually recover enough to let any cardiovascular elevation (no matter how slight) return to normal. Then I jump on the next set. Its usually about 2-3 mins between sets, and only more if I really pushed it in the first set. You will almost never go above 5 minutes between sets. Usually is about 2.5 minutes. But go when you feel ready, but don't let any more time pass once you do. Keeping the sets close together is important.