rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Can anyone here give a non-SJW influenced review of Marco Polo

I've watched a few shows recommended here before like Black Mirrors which has become one of my top shows of all-time. Before deciding whether or not to binge 10 hours away on Marco Polo and the "critics" reviews for it were horrible. The current average on Metacritic for critics is 48 while the userscore is nearly twice that coming in at 88. It's also at a 27% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and over 3 times the userscore at 94. The one common theme I noticed in most critic reviews was the SJW word salad. Here's some examples

Quote:Quote:

But among the first key problems sensed upon the initial release of the show's trailer was its apparent embodiment of that tired storytelling trope, the "white-guy-in-Asia adventure." As Phil Yu of Angry Asian Man. Ooh. Lots of swords and gongs and mysticism and opium and sexy Asian ladies on silk sheets and shit. And dude, did I just see a naked person doing some kung fu?
-I'm sure Mr. Angry Asian has a non-biased review

Mic's Zak Cheney-Rice similarly called on Netflix to "do better" in its portrayal of Asian characters, criticizing Marco Polo for leaning on ludicrous Orientalist stereotypes and privileging the white, Western point-of-view. He also noted that Netflix must have "missed the memo," referring to a list released by the Media Action Network for Asian Americans in 2008 on ways good-intentioned media-makers can bust stereotypes.

O.K., the Women Can Kill, but They Have to Be Nude
- The title of the New York Times review

I'm not gonna post all the reviews but the common theme among them is the words
-White privilege
-Diversity and Representation
-Objectification of women and hatred of anything sexual
-Muh soggy knees
-Whining about why women aren't dominant alphas and the unrealistic portrayal of women
-Something complaining about how it isn't Game of Thrones quality even though I'm sure the creators weren't trying to make a Game of Thrones clone

So can anyone here who might have seen the show give an honest review of it. I know that if it makes SJWs this mad then it has to be something worth watching.

I liked it, give it a watch.
If you don't like it after the first few episodes, then don't watch the rest.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

So a show about medieval China is accused of being 'orientalist' and 'sexist'? Do these people think the mongols, known for brutal massacres and rape, would create a postmodern society in China where women could vote in the 14th Century?

What's next - calling the Sopranos racist and sexist for showing Italian mobsters owning a strip club?

[Image: laugh3.gif]

I kinda stopped taking movie critics seriously after I saw that movie Bridesmaids (foul-mouthed Americunt comedy) had a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's well above average. Movie quality show. Well developed, multi-dimensional characters that you will actually give a shit about. Lots of tits. More tits than game of thrones first season. Lots of dancy/make-believe martial arts.

The portrayal of women is unrealistic at times because there are scenes where they single-handedly win fights with men that are bigger than them or with multiple dudes. But, it's fantasy so don't expect realism or historical accuracy.

Hope to see a season two.

Are we going to have a #MovieGate too? Because once upon a time, while certainly corrupted with excessive product placement, Metacritic, IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes really did provide people with valuable insight about whether a movie was well made or not, regardless of whether they vibed with it personally. With some exceptions (attention whoring pieces like Wanted and Apocalypto being rated highly - dafuq?), they generally provided pretty good barometers.

With reviews taking the turn for the worse, even this last function has been made obsolete. What a pity.

As for the show I haven't watched it so I can't contribute. I only know that Italians frequently get pissed about Croatians claiming that Marco Polo is from the island of Korčula rather than from Venice [Image: biggrin.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

But among the first key problems sensed upon the initial release of the show's trailer was its apparent embodiment of that tired storytelling trope, the "white-guy-in-Asia adventure."

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

They should've changed the story so Marco Polo explores Europe, or something.

But really, Marco Polo isn't the only televised microaggression against social justice.

The Right Stuff relies on the problematic trope of the white heterosexual American astronaut going into space!

Band of Brothers showed a bunch of patriarchal Christian men glorifying militarism and war!

Schindler's List was full of skinny people. What about all the plus-sized victims of the Holocaust, you fat-shaming shitlords?!?

Quote: (01-06-2015 01:35 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

I kinda stopped taking movie critics seriously after I saw that movie Bridesmaids (foul-mouthed Americunt comedy) had a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Same but with the movie "Crash", a laughable farce of a flick that made me stop taking critics and what the academy awards considers "best picture" seriously.

The reviewer has a double barreled name.

That's all you need to know.

I'm going to give this a watch.

I've watched both seasons of The Vikings and thought that was awesome.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Of course a patriarchal show like this is going to ignore the intersectional lives of all the disabled black lesbians who explored medieval China.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Amazing show. Better than Game of Thrones has become.

Quote: (01-06-2015 02:35 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Are we going to have a #MovieGate too?

Not really with this show, even without the sjw rantings it's still bad, The main character basically gets offered a harem of sexy ass bitches, and pretty much a seat in kublai khans court, and throws it away due to one-itsing over one of Kublai's wives IN THE VERY NEXT SCENE. I stopped watching it immediately after that. Like the dude just walked through a giant ass harem of hot ass naked Asian chicks who were hotter than the wife the dude is pining over anyway. The writers could have chosen other way to advance the plot, but they didn't. The writing isn't consistent. . .its not "congruent" at all, pissed me off to no end.

Isaiah 4:1

Quote: (01-06-2015 11:51 AM)CJ_W Wrote:  

Not really with this show, even without the sjw rantings it's still bad, The main character basically gets offered a harem of sexy ass bitches, and pretty much a seat in kublai khans court, and throws it away due to one-itsing over one of Kublai's wives IN THE VERY NEXT SCENE. I stopped watching it immediately after that. Like the dude just walked through a giant ass harem of hot ass naked Asian chicks who were hotter than the wife the dude is pining over anyway. The writers could have chosen other way to advance the plot, but they didn't. The writing isn't consistent. . .its not "congruent" at all, pissed me off to no end.

No, the Khan presented him the harem whorehouse and told him that could be his one day, but Marco Polo didn't deserve it now and if Marco gave in to the temptation on that day the Khan would know he has no self-control and would be banished from the court, and that Marco has to earn these good things.

Quote: (01-06-2015 11:51 AM)CJ_W Wrote:  

That was a test. He was after the only remaining blood of a defeated tribe who has been kept under watch and protection by the Khan. Not his wife or part of his haram, but a virgin to be used in future power struggles.

I liked the show. Of course it takes too long for the drama to build to points, but that is my problem with all TV. They take liberties with the historical story too, which is completely up to them, so unless someone has helped foo the $130 million dollar bill for this they can just fuck off and go read a history book if they want accuracy.

Its good entertainment. The Khan is larger than life and fantastic to see a smart, capable no bullshit leader.

Women are also smart, capable and play the shadow politics very well.

Marco has a good look and its easy to like him, even though it takes a while.

Actually there are lots of great characters.

I recommend it for entertainment value alone. Dont think too much about it, especially if you are a huge fan of Dan Carlins epic Mongol podcast.

At first I was a little turned off when I saw that they included the martial arts aspect into the story. I felt it was a little unnecessary but it didn't bother me as the episodes progressed.

If anything the show is entertaining. It's no shakespearean drama, but it is a fun watch. I burned through it all on Xmas eve. The Khan was by far the most interesting character.

I read some of the reviews after the fact and almost put a gun in a mouth. These SJW leftist retards can find racism, sexism in anything.

It's a great watch, I've watched 9 episodes, I prefer The Vikings but for entertainment value it's up there.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

SJW rants aside, this is still not a great show. It's a decent for pure entertainment because the production value is quite high.

1) plot threads are very cliched and easy to spot. This is child's play compared to GOT. I'm on episode 6, but not even capable of something like the red wedding.

2) Main character is a dumbass. As is said before, he's unrealistically trying to "save" one of Khan's concubines. In a forum that calls out white-knighting and oneitis routinely, how does this not bother people?

3) Main character is also a little bitch. He should be grateful the Khan is taking favor to him, but he's often stubborn in voicing his opinions or what he thinks is true (when he shouldn't), or lying when it's patently obvious he will be easily caught by the Khan.

4) The scene where the bride wrestles him and then fucks him. I mean come on - are we to assume marco polo is some kind of exceptional specimen of masculine energy and all the other mongols are a bunch of brutes? Yes, it's a SJW criticism to say this is basically every white guy last samurai/pocahontas cliche/stereotype we've seen before - but that doesn't make the cliche/stereotype any less stupid or unbearable. Is this forum so reactionary that there is no room to criticize white patronizing of other cultures or ethnicities just because SJWs are against it?

The main character is a white-knighting bitch.

But, a lot of hot and naked Asian girls, so I watch it as my dirty pleasure.

I can not wait until Vikings season 3 comes out in February though....

Deus vult!

Quote: (01-07-2015 11:48 PM)SHANbangs Wrote:  

SJW rants aside, this is still not a great show. It's a decent for pure entertainment because the production value is quite high.

1) plot threads are very cliched and easy to spot. This is child's play compared to GOT. I'm on episode 6, but not even capable of something like the red wedding.

2) Main character is a dumbass. As is said before, he's unrealistically trying to "save" one of Khan's concubines. In a forum that calls out white-knighting and oneitis routinely, how does this not bother people?

3) Main character is also a little bitch. He should be grateful the Khan is taking favor to him, but he's often stubborn in voicing his opinions or what he thinks is true (when he shouldn't), or lying when it's patently obvious he will be easily caught by the Khan.

4) The scene where the bride wrestles him and then fucks him. I mean come on - are we to assume marco polo is some kind of exceptional specimen of masculine energy and all the other mongols are a bunch of brutes? Yes, it's a SJW criticism to say this is basically every white guy last samurai/pocahontas cliche/stereotype we've seen before - but that doesn't make the cliche/stereotype any less stupid or unbearable. Is this forum so reactionary that there is no room to criticize white patronizing of other cultures or ethnicities just because SJWs are against it?

1) Season gets better after half way unfortunately
2) She's not the Khan's concubine, she's a political pawn as she has royal blood, there's a big difference
3) He is a little bitch, he's italian and not raised by his father (abandoned twice by the guy) but his aunt (which explains a hell of a lot)
4) I took that as being the first time she'd seen a white man so she'd take the opportunity to fuck one, they didn't have television back then to see people of all colours

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Well to be honest, it was last samurai with tits. 'Twas awesome.

Quote: (01-06-2015 12:51 AM)EuphoricWizard Wrote:  

Before deciding whether or not to binge 10 hours away on Marco Polo and the "critics" reviews for it were horrible.

So, instead of binging 10 hours on a show you binged one hour reading reviews and writing a post.

You could have used that hour to watch one episode of that show and decide for yourself if you like it despise "SJWs" opinions on it.

It takes less than 15 minutes to read critic reviews of a show when they're all compiled together and blatantly obvious about bias. And one episode isn't enough to form an opinion on an entire series. I would have never watched Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad or The Wire if my opinion was formed on the first episode.
Most shows tend to start off strong in the first season and fall off or start slow and then get better. I also got to episode 4 since making this thread and there's plenty of red pill in episode 4.

The critics are fags. This show has tons of Asian chicks with full frontal nudity, beautiful vistas, and lots of violence. In other words, it's a show men would love, but women and feminized men would hate.

I found the first season to be ridiculously unrealistic but fun to watch. The second season is cringe worthy.

WB Kokachin.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT