rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How Spending $162,301.42 on Clothes Made Me $692,500 (Lifestyle Marketing)

How Spending 2,301.42 on Clothes Made Me 2,500 (Lifestyle Marketing)

I thought this was a a very cool post:

http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/12/10/ho...me-692500/

With marketing, I suspect the way you dress and present yourself as a lot to do with your success.

Here's another post related to Lifestyle Marketing:

http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/12/15/ho...ion-bucks/

I actually spoke to Neil Patel once and he's actually a very humble guy. It's interesting how this image compares to reality.

A good example of confirmation bias within the business realm.

He has no clue how to dress or buy clothes. $162k on fancy label off the rack shit from Rodeo Drive? You can get 3 Savile Row custom suits for $10k each, another $20k to round out your wardrobe, and you are James fucking Bond for $50k.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

A blog post by an internet marketer selling his Internet Marketing "System"...and you're really going to believe him?

IM is shadier than PUA, which itself is only slightly less shady than arms trading.

His fashion advice is terrible. You can pick up better stuffs with a lot less money.

Obviously it's true people will treat you differently based on how you dress.

I wanted to check out this commercial space. I was in casual clothes. (not shady sweatpants type but I say just neat casual)

This guy scanned my shoes and pants and he said he wasn't sure if I could afford it in indirect way.

I don't think it was my fault since small business owners run around in common clothes but that hit me hard at that time.

[Image: qRHwyij.png]

Nope.

I agree with you guys that he has no style and he could of gotten nicer looking clothes in different places but the whole point of the exercise was how spending all this cash on designer clothes gave him more business. I thought it was pretty interesting.

I understand your skepticism when it comes to internet marketing but this guy has been around for years and is the real deal. I've gained tremendous value reading his blog throughout the years in the marketing realm.

Shut up guys, "he spoke to Nick Patel once"

Quote: (12-15-2014 09:54 PM)borntomack Wrote:  

With marketing, I suspect the way you dress and present yourself as a lot to do with your success.

I actually spoke to Neil Patel once and he's actually a very humble guy. It's interesting how this image compares to reality.

Seems a bunch of people responding didn't actually read what he said about how people are attracted to shiny objects.

I read the Ferrari one yesterday and it confirms a lot of what I know from my handful of high-net worth friends.

One of my boys flew his GT-R to Germany to drive the Nurburgring. He met a ton of people that also flew their GT-R's to Germany to do the same thing. The kind of contacts he made continue to make him money.

But getting a bunch of internet yokels to shed their "modest protestant" mindsets...not possible

WIA

Quote: (12-16-2014 08:16 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Seems a bunch of people responding didn't actually read what he said about how people are attracted to shiny objects.

I read the Ferrari one yesterday and it confirms a lot of what I know from my handful of high-net worth friends.

One of my boys flew his GT-R to Germany to drive the Nurburgring. He met a ton of people that also flew their GT-R's to Germany to do the same thing. The kind of contacts he made continue to make him money.

But getting a bunch of internet yokels to shed their "modest protestant" mindsets...not possible

WIA

Not at all. It's because he's intentionally misleading the way Internet Marketers (and PUAs) always mislead.

This Internet Marketer goes "Buy a Ferrari and expensive clothes and earn money through people who will now respect you." This is the same BS that PUA markets: "You don't have to go to the gym or eat right and work on self-improvement, you just need to say these lines and you're-in-like-flynn."

Both of these gimmicks are just the opposite of the truth, which is: People won't respect you unless you earn it. You earn it through hard work, smarts & dedication.

Instead you're going to have all these pathetic wanna bes all of a sudden drop thousands of dollars on clothes "because Patel said so." And it's not going to look good (because they haven't earned the confidence to dress nicely), they're not going to make any deal$ and they're going to be in the hole. This is essentially the same thing as RSDJulien-gate: "Choke bitches and pull their head to your cock and you're gonna get laid." All these wanna-bes are going to do that and get arrested. Lose your shirt, arrested...it's all the same.

In the case of your friend, if one of these poor schlubs following Patel were to buy a GTR and fly to Germany not only would he be in debt up to his head but everyone would see right through his poser-attitude because he did not earn it.

Quote: (12-16-2014 08:30 PM)monster Wrote:  

Both of these gimmicks are just the opposite of the truth, which is: People won't respect you unless you earn it. You earn it through hard work, smarts & dedication.

"I posted a picture of me sitting in the car years ago on Facebook. The image generated 193 likes, and over the years, exotic car dealerships have hit me up because they saw the image and assumed I liked fancy cars. Once these dealerships learned I did marketing, they asked me for help."

So far, I’ve collected $1,041,493 in commissions for sales I’ve helped generate. Not too bad for just posting a picture of me sitting in a Ferrari, especially considering I don’t own it.

Don't really know what to tell you, but posting some pics of you in a Ferrari that you don't own isn't hard work/smarts or dedication.

Marketing is the exact opposite of credentialism.

"I'm a good bet because I look like a good bet. "
"Seeing is believing"

People judge books by their covers.

It's one of the reasons why face-to-face interviews are notoriously unreliable

Rich and powerful are just as susceptible to the same implicit biases that we all are.

It's like so many guys consider Victoria Secret models as quality chicks - when all they have to go on is what they look like.

WIA

Quote: (12-16-2014 09:36 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

So far, I’ve collected $1,041,493 in commissions for sales I’ve helped generate. Not too bad for just posting a picture of me sitting in a Ferrari, especially considering I don’t own it.

WIA, you're one of the most intelligent posters here and tend to see through all the PUA bullshit to the real truth so I'm very surprised you're being gamed by this.

IM & PUA are two sides to the same coin and some of the biggest hustles on the net and they share many of the same cons.

PUA Equivalent to Patel posting a pic of him in a Ferrari: "I'm fat, out-of-shape and a computer-nerd and I banged 40 hot chicks this year. Learn how, just sign up for my free newsletter where I'll then upsell you on a $500 course."

PUA Social Validation Equivalent: "I posted this selfie of me and this total babe on Facebook and now all the girls who would never look at me twice just 6 months ago want to go on a date with me." Doesn't mean any converted to sex.

I want to see the proof. Honestly, there's nothing easier to prove than commissions: post the receipts or payment stubs for everyone to see. But he'll never do it because this data doesn't exist.

If you're gonna lie, at least go for the big lie. This fool's proud of a 196 likes. Is he serious? 196 likes is fucking absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing to marketing.

It's definitely true that clothes make the man, but if he really spent that much he would need to be in an environment - and a career field - that could tell the difference. He's in LA doing Internet marketing, and likely surrounded by people - both gay and straight - who recognize brands immediately. But I still think he might be overdoing it.

In a place like DC however, you would be wasting your money on that kind of clothing since the average government drone can't tell a clip-on from a Ferregamo seven fold silk tie. Remember, that's the land of the women with the "I don't wear heels because they hurt" outlook.

Yes, when meeting with senior business leaders you need to look the part. You don't need to be a male model, but you can't come across looking like a bag of smashed assholes either. A well fitting suit (from someplace other than Jos A. Banks, please) is a requirement but it doesn't need to cost thousands. Spending six figures on high end clothes in DC would not lead you any closer to winning government contracts, but it might get you more casual observer attention around places like DuPont Circle. Your mileage may vary.

One thing about the friend with the Lambo mentioned in the article though:

"Granted, once he drove it off the lot, the car depreciated, but he can still resell the car and make a profit of $12,000 to $13,000 after taxes, which he is planning on doing."

Unless they gave him the car, that sentence doesn't even make any sense. If it depreciates so rapidly, how the hell is he supposed to make a profit when he sells it? If it was given to him as a gift or at a substantial discount and he plans to sell it for profit, he's a cheapskate and a shitbag - that kind of behavior will hurt whatever gains he got by upgrading the wardrobe.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:06 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

"Granted, once he drove it off the lot, the car depreciated, but he can still resell the car and make a profit of $12,000 to $13,000 after taxes, which he is planning on doing."

I had to reread that sentence a few times too. I think he's implying that he bought it at such a discount that even after depreciation is considered he could flip it for a profit. Basically he's trying to sound like a big shot - "you know cars depreciate as soon as they're driven off the lot" - but comes off like a doofus. Maybe people who don't have money would be impressed but to anyone with any means at all it's try-hard and newbie.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:13 PM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:06 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

I had to reread that sentence a few times too. I think he's implying that he bought it at such a discount that even after depreciation is considered he could flip it for a profit. Basically he's trying to sound like a big shot - "you know cars depreciate as soon as they're driven off the lot" - but comes off like a doofus. Maybe people who don't have money would be impressed but to anyone with any means at all it's try-hard and newbie.

The whole page made him look and sound like a doofus, actually. Kind of reminds me of that rich Indian i-banker who bought his model girlfriend a BMW right before she shitcanned him and spread her legs for some MMA guy.

It seems like the only guy getting the point of the post is WestIndianArchie. Neil Patel is not some yahoo internet marketer. He's a multimillionaire marketer who's blog is one of most widely read internet marketing sites in the world.

Look at the marketing guides he has put out. They offer an insane amount of value for free. His name is a worldwide trusted brand. The reason you think this post might be bs is because he's operating on a whole different level.

Perception sometimes is more important than reality. I have never wore these designer brands but this post gave me insight on how some high net worth individuals can perceive what you wear and what you drive and how that can lead to more business opportunities.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:26 PM)borntomack Wrote:  

His name is a worldwide trusted brand.

He works for Gawker & Jezebel and writes their Sensationalist Headlines. 'Nuff said.

I admit to not being familiar with this internet marketer, although I'm aware of others with similar pitches. That said, anyone who isn't still living in a fraternity house or mom's basement should have the idea that sweatpants and flip flops aren't going to cut it in the broader business world. A older but still very good book on the subject of dress clothes, generally, is Dress For Success. Of course, fancy cars and uber-trendy clothes are going to impress the right people in the right circumstances, but in some instances not everyone will even notice, much less be impressed. In fact overdoing it can be off putting in some industries.

The only level I see him operating on is a very brief article used as a front for brochure-ware. Presumably though, he gets favorable responses or he would not keep doing it. I don't mean to come off as dismissive as I'm sure he knows his business, but much of this talk about wardrobes and cars seems self-evident to me as an older guy.

It's probably an indicator of a major disconnect the past couple of decades where many young people think dressing up means a collared shirt and pants other than jeans. I knew a law student fifteen years my junior who asked me to show him how to tie a tie, for crissakes. I don't really blame him and was happy to demonstrate, but I think it's demonstrative of the dearth of fathers or other influencers in the lives of young American men in this post-feminist infected Western world we share.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:39 PM)monster Wrote:  

His name is a worldwide trusted brand.

He works for Gawker & Jezebel and writes their Sensationalist Headlines. 'Nuff said.

But clearly they work, or you wouldn't be talking about them [Image: lol.gif]

More mentions (whether positive or negative, doesn't matter) = more eyeballs = more money... So I guess Neil Patel did a good job for his client.

And seriously those of you calling this guy an IMer — how many IMers have founded multi-million dollars companies? Before starting quicksprout, kissmetrics et al, he was the co-founder of CrazyEgg. It was one of the first heatmap services out there.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/183044
^^According to that article, his consulting company did $2.5M in sales in 2007.

inb4 that was "sales", *show me the exact receipts or it doesn't count* [Image: lol.gif]

--

I found all that with 2 minutes of research. I'm sure you could dig deeper if you wanted to but I'd rather not waste my time.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:42 PM)Vice Wrote:  

Unscrupulous & misleading headlines are written by unscrupulous & misleading people.

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:50 PM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:42 PM)Vice Wrote:  

Unscrupulous & misleading headlines are written by unscrupulous & misleading people.

A marketer is a mercenary. Are you telling me that if you were, let's say, a copywriter, that you would refuse to do copy for Gawker even if they offered you $20K?

I'm not defending Gawker or the vile tactics they use but a marketer writing/advising on clickbait doesn't make make him a fraud.

I believe it is his lifestyle. he didn't burn the savings hoping to meet some business partners there. (a guy getting bottle service all the time because he can VS a guy getting a bottle service hoping to get the girl that night)

They figured he is one of 'us' or at least he can hang with 'us'
That gave him key to the door.

met a young guy. he invited me to the party and started ordering bunch of shits, 'all on the menu' in beverly hills hotel.
It could've lead to some connections if I kept going but I figured I couldn't keep up with him nor did I want to just get freebies. (he didn't mind paying for people. that was his personality)

Thats just the people. Although they actually don't need anything from you, they still want to hang with 'one of us'

It's up to you to decide how far you want to go (or fake)

The greatest marketing is Selling the Dream. (or cloud, vapor or whatever you call it that doesn't actually exist)

So you can't blame the marketer if he is utilizing resources to make him appear more successful.
You can't market yourself well then how can you market the product?

Quote: (12-16-2014 08:16 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (12-15-2014 09:54 PM)borntomack Wrote:  

WIA

Quote: (12-16-2014 10:56 PM)Vice Wrote:  

I'm not defending Gawker or the vile tactics they use but a marketer writing/advising on clickbait doesn't make make him a fraud.

No, but claiming:

from a Facebook pic with 193 likes does make him a fraud.

Even Kim kardashian doesn't make a million off an instagram pic and she has 500k likes per pic.

It seems like the only guy getting the point of the post is WestIndianArchie. Neil Patel is not some yahoo internet marketer. He's a multimillionaire marketer who's blog is one of most widely read internet marketing sites in the world.

Look at the marketing guides he has put out. They offer an insane amount of value for free. His name is a worldwide trusted brand. The reason you think this post might be bs is because he's operating on a whole different level.

Perception sometimes is more important than reality. I have never wore these designer brands but this post gave me insight on how some high net worth individuals can perceive what you wear and what you drive and how that can lead to more business opportunities.

Good points so I did some digging and I found this...

http://www.quicksprout.com/the-beginners...marketing/

Anything else you recommend in particular borntomack?

Here is a different version of the same post from the OP:

http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/12/15/ho...more-29865

It reads a lot better and gives more detail into his perspective on spending money to make money.

I think his idea is sound: success breeds more success and people do base a lot off what they perceive to be true.

If anyone has more info from this guy I would like to see it.