rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A company for my internship?

Hi everybody !
After good responses to my first post I have decided to do another one. This time I want to talk about find an internship in USA with my background.
I am currently a student in a french engineering school specialized in Energy and process which correspond to a Master of Science in USA.
I study :
-Heating
-Air conditionning
-Ventilation
-Electricity (bases)
-Plumbing
-Mechanic (bases)
-Process for industries (pharmaceutical, oil & gas, food …)

I do a sandwich course, so I also work as a project manager in a big French Plumbing company.

Does America have a Master of Science which include all these subjects ?

For my internship I would like to work as a quality manager. I looked for it on the internet, but to do this job companies ask a BS degree.
What kind of job can I do with my master of science ?

To me, it’s not only an internship, I want to live in America later. And If I find a good place for my internship for sure I will apply for a job in the following year (just let me finish my studies ^^).

Pretty sure this is mechanical engineering, maybe some civil undertones.

How does some French program transfer to a masters degree in the USA?

The main thing you need to worry about if you want to work in the USA is getting your professional engineer lisence. Easiest way to do so is by becoming an engineer in training in America by writing the fundamentals of engineering exam and then working in the USA for five years. Absolutely no way will ABET grant you licensure until you write the FE exam.

I could be wrong but this is the process I require as a Canadian in the USA.

Quote: (12-05-2014 01:55 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

Pretty sure this is mechanical engineering, maybe some civil undertones.

How does some French program transfer to a masters degree in the USA?

The main thing you need to worry about if you want to work in the USA is getting your professional engineer lisence. Easiest way to do so is by becoming an engineer in training in America by writing the fundamentals of engineering exam and then working in the USA for five years. Absolutely no way will ABET grant you licensure until you write the FE exam.

I could be wrong but this is the process I require as a Canadian in the USA.
Actually since September 2013, things have changed for the french students. If you are graduated from a french engineering school you can do a PhD in USA without getting an American diploma.
I have some information about it:
"The meeting revolved around the AACRAO EDGE database’s credential advice regarding French education. The conversations focused largely on engineering education in France – specifically the engineering grande ecoles which are the elite system of schools that exist alongside the university sector in French higher education. The two teams closely examined information pertaining to the educational path resulting in the award of the diplome d’Ingenieur (Dip d’Ing) which in EDGE has been described as comparable to the U.S. Bachelor of Science in engineering. The French view is that this degree is more comparable to a U.S. master’s degree in engineering. ...
A decision was made to change the credential advice for the Diplome d’Ingenieur to “attainment of a level of education comparable to a master’s degree in engineering in the United States.” The IESC agreed with the U.S. team involved in the Paris meeting that the duration of the program, the number of credits required for the degree, and content supported a change to the new credential advice."

I didn't know yet for the FE exam. But it won't be really a problem. Because I just have to find a company (in order to improve my vocabulary in the speciality), work over there for several months and then I will allowed to take the FE exam.

-

This is unrelated to mechanical engineering but Y combinator seems to think that these are the best companies to work for during this generation of tech startups/companies:

http://www.breakoutlist.com/

-

Ouch.

In the US this is just a certification. My dad was a high school drop out and had one of these along with a business license. If anything I'd just say try to start working for yourself as soon as possible and don't try for more degrees to impress an employer

Quote: (12-06-2014 09:28 AM)Sonoma Wrote:  

Ouch.

In the US this is just a certification. My dad was a high school drop out and had one of these along with a business license. If anything I'd just say try to start working for yourself as soon as possible and don't try for more degrees to impress an employer

It's not only to impress an employer. For some jobs you need to have minimum degree. It's like you are not allowed to work as a doctor if you haven't passed your exams.
I don't really want to impress anyone. I just want to earn a good salary for my skills.

"This is unrelated to mechanical engineering but Y combinator seems to think that these are the best companies to work for during this generation of tech startups/companies:

http://www.breakoutlist.com/"

I had a quick look on your page, but I have found only 2 companies which can be interested in my skills. I will try to apply for an internship.