rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Miami: A Different Perspective

After reading this thread I wanted to offer a different perspective on Miami. After getting so much value from this forum I thought I would contribute something by offering a differing opinion on a city that I know very well.

First a disclaimer I was born and raised in Miami and I think the world of it. Obviously my perspective is biased but I think it can add value to people are thinking of moving here.

After living here for almost 30 years I have seen Miami go through vast changes, especially in the last 5 years. Miami has always had a reputation as the playground for the rich and famous. Since the 1940s with the rat pack in the Fountainbleau through the 50s and 60s, Miami has always been a vacation destination.

Through the 70s Miami went through a dark period of crime, huge immigration waves, and general malaise. When the show Miami Vice came out in the 80s it change the Miami forever. It made Miami cool again and with the reemergence of South Beach in 90s it made Miami a worldwide party destination. It's still very good party destination but today Miami has a lot more to offer than nightlife.

The Entrepreneur Scene

Over the last 5 years the start up scene and particularly the tech scene has exploded. With the help of the Knight Foundation millions of dollars of poured into the local economy. A good summary is here

According to this study Miami is the #1 ranked in the country in terms of entrepreneurial activity on a per capita basis. I used to think of Miami as a cultural wasteland full of ignorant people who only cared about partying and showing off their tats, but my perception has changed. Every week I meet someone interesting who has shit going for them. A lot of smart ambitious people have made Miami their home the last few years.

Every time I meet someone who recently moved and they don't like the people in Miami it means they haven't been meeting the right kind of people or just haven't anybody yet. Miami is 65% foreign born but unlike other US cities Miami truly gets the best and smartest immigrants. All the South Americans that move here are usually pretty well off. We also get a lot of hot Eastern European Immigrants [Image: smile.gif]

As others have pointed knowing Spanish is important in this city for business and for the women. But I believe you can still make it here even if you don't know Spanish. In fact I've met a few SF entrepreneurs (who don't know Spanish) who have made Miami their home. If you can hustle and work hard you can make it in this city.

The Women

This subject has been beaten to death on this forum and Jariel gives a pretty decent breakdown. I wanted to add that Miami has girls from all over the world and so trying to give a wide sweeping conclusion on this subject doesn't make any sense. These girls have different cultures with different value systems than a lot of girls that grew up in Miami and the States. I can't tell you how many Russian or Brazilian girls I have met in South beach that just recently moved here. I wouldn't consider them Miami girls but a lot of the false conclusions come from gaming these girls. And the tourists from NY or some other US city? South beach is full of them. Eventually, as Roosh has pointed out, before women take the characteristics of their environment. Unfortunately, these girls usually get corrupted by the Miami scene.

It seems the forum's conclusion is that Miami is a very difficult place to game and I wouldn't disagree but this is viewed in the wrong perspective in my opinion. Miami takes a lot of work but if you put in the work eventually, it will bear fruit. I read Roosh's Moscow trip report and he came to the conclusion that if you settle long term it can lead to a very positive outcome. Miami should be viewed in the same way. It's an international city with an insane amount of talent with Foreign women that this forum loves. I've read some posts here that say that you need money, looks, and connections to even have chance here and while those things are very important here those are ridiculous conclusions. I know several men who don't have any of those things and do really well here. Granted some of them did grew up here and they know how Miami works.

I know one guy from Boston who's not particularly good looking but is in good shape, has laid close to 50 women this year. He's a approach machine on South Beach and given his job (male stripper) is insanely confident. He doesn't have a lot of money or a lot of connections and most of his approaches are during the day.

I know Miami women can be superficial but to make general conclusions that all the women here are superficial is idiotic. As Roosh pointed out in his most recent book when he talks to men about women and they conclude women are superficial it means they don't know what they are talking about.

In Conclusion

If you're a young guy who has a lot of drive and ambition you can make it here. It's a great place to start a business, to meet a lot of cool international people and plenty of hot foreign women.

By the far the biggest positive of living in South Beach the last 4 years is the sense of community that I have. I know many of my neighbors and when I walk around Ocean Drive I can see a lot of people I know. Amazingly I get the small town feel here even though there are a shit ton of tourists. I actually enjoy meeting them.

If you guys have any questions or want of further breakdown of spots to hit up let me know!

This guy gets it. When people make blanket statements about how dumb the people in Miami are, it always makes me laugh. Are there a lot of dumb people in Miami? Sure. There are idiots everywhere. Are there a lot of smart people in Miami? Yes, there are. Here's some facts. The biggest ethnic group in Miami is Cubans. Cubans are smarter and more successful than most other (definitely not all) immigrant groups in the United States. Cuban Americans are even more successful and more well educated than Cuban immigrants. A member of my immediate family is a Mensa person and is constantly telling me about how much he learns about mathematics and other topics from his Cuban colleagues in Miami. The belief that Miami people are all stupid is both ludicrous and innacurate.

One of the things that I want to do in 2015 is spend at least a couple of days in Miami with one or more of the forum members who have struggled there and at least a couple of days with one or more of the forum members who have had so much success in Mexico with little or no Spanish skills. Hopefully, that will help answer some of the questions that I struggle with when I read the forum.

^^ The success story of a male stripper approach machine that is portrayed as your example of underdog doesn't change what has been painted about Miami on the forum.

Plus the phrase "Yes that's all important, but.." is a last resort approach of convincing in my experience.

Spanish
Looks / Style
Hustle
$$$$
(all at decent to high levels)

is that picture that's been painted.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Quote: (12-03-2014 09:57 PM)borntomack Wrote:  

And the tourists from NY or some other US city?

The girls who are transplants from other parts of the U.S. who end up here are usually the biggest bitches... way more so than foreign girls or local Miami / Florida girls. Thankfully there's enough foreign pussy to go around that you don't even have to talk to them once you recognize them.

My theory is that they get pissed when they see how much more presentable the foreign girls are and the way the guys around here react to them and they realize they don't have that kind of competition in the rest of the U.S. As long as they're not fat it's penis paradise with tons of obedient males.

Quote:Travesty444 Wrote:

^^ The success story of a male stripper approach machine that is portrayed as your example of underdog doesn't change what has been painted about Miami on the forum.

Plus the phrase "Yes that's all important, but.." is a last resort approach of convincing in my experience.

Spanish
Looks / Style
Hustle
$$$$

Yeah that's true to an extent, but there's a lot of bullshit that got mixed with the paint that went on that canvas. A lot of the Miami threads on this forum contain blatant misinformation and it's disappointing to me because it makes me question the integrity of a lot of the travel posts if some of the other cities have the same quality of info.

borntomack:

Can you tell us a little about the cost of living? Or maybe some stories about people who have moved there from other parts of the country?

Also, you talked about a lot of small businesses being started there. What types of businesses are we talking about? Restaurants, retail, small grocers?

Quote: (12-03-2014 09:57 PM)borntomack Wrote:  

if you settle long term it can lead to a very positive outcome

^^^This. Honestly, I've only been to Miami once and didn't have much luck but I definitely got the vibe it's one of those places you may have to put some time into and then you'll flourish. I have no hard feelings against Miami.

Quote: (12-03-2014 11:19 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

Spanish
Looks / Style
Hustle
$$$$

All those things you highlighted are important in any part of the world (except the Spanish part). I'll give you other examples. I have a couple of boys who are from Miami and are in their mid 20s and their notch count is over 100. One is a good looking charismatic guy and the other is just a regular dude who got started early. They don't have much money or connections but they do really well in Miami. I can give you a few more examples but the general consensus of the forum is that Miami is an impossible city to game is simply not true.

Usually when guys come to visit South Beach they find it difficult to get in the clubs and find stuck up bitches and they get beaten down. What else did you expect here? South beach is a unique beast. It's not a short term play. You have to meet people, grease doormen and bartenders, bring girls to promoters to unlock a lot of these places. But once that work is done these places can be your poosy paradise.

Quote: (12-03-2014 11:29 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

borntomack:

Can you tell us a little about the cost of living? Or maybe some stories about people who have moved there from other parts of the country?

Also, you talked about a lot of small businesses being started there. What types of businesses are we talking about? Restaurants, retail, small grocers?

Quintus:

The cost of living is right in the middle of a lot US cities. It's not crazy expensive but not cheap either. Unfortunately, due to foreign demand a lot of the real estate prices has gone up considerably the last couple of years.

I have a friend who moved to South Beach two years ago from LA. He pays $2400 for a 3 bedroom apartment with his own parking spot. He's a personal trainer and doesn't make a lot of money, but he rents out his two other rooms and turned his living room into a 3 bedroom. His rent is basically $0/month. There's a few other stories like this. Heck, the Flamingo on South Beach has always someone new moving in.

A lot of tech companies of gotten their start recently here. You can read a good breakdown here. The real estate market and the hospitality industry are still Miami's strength. Construction is also booming here.

How do you feel about so many people including Floridians saying Miami is nothing more than a smoke show full of fakes and snakes?

Miami, the tech hub of Florida?? Hahaha! And did you mention that Spanish is almost a requirement to make it pop in Miami? Also, I've gone out numerous times in Miami and most of the people I spoke with were dumb asses. Let's keep it 100, Carl Hiaasen called it the anus of the United States for a valid reason. You cannot use outliers as a baseline for how successful life in Miami is.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (12-04-2014 10:54 AM)Brian Shima Wrote:  

How do you feel about so many people including Floridians saying Miami is nothing more than a smoke show full of fakes and snakes?

Honestly, I don't care. They're entitled to their opinion. I know how popular this forum is and by shedding light on Miami's characteristics that are not so well known people might start moving here based on what I write. I honestly don't need more competition here [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (12-04-2014 11:24 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Miami, the tech hub of Florida?? Hahaha! And did you mention that Spanish is almost a requirement to make it pop in Miami? Also, I've gone out numerous times in Miami and most of the people I spoke with were dumb asses. Let's keep it 100, Carl Hiaasen called it the anus of the United States for a valid reason. You cannot use outliers as a baseline for how successful life in Miami is.

Read this article and you might change your opinion. There is a growing tech scene in Miami that still in it's infancy. I've personally met many successful entrepreneurs who just moved here from other cities and have made Miami their home. They're smart and ambitious people moving here everyday and whether you choose to believe or not it is not my job to convince you [Image: smile.gif]

I respect OP for making his case and repping his home town.

But personally, you could not pay me to live in Miami.

Overall views on Miami with the beach as a reference point tend to be limited at best.

Construction is "booming" because once the deal is struck the project must go on, just because something is being built doesn't mean the developer is winning.

I could go on, but I don't want to seem like I don't agree with anything the OP has to say, and I at least respect his POV since he actually lives here, but I stand by my assessment that Miami is a city chocked full of illusions.

Successful people can afford to move here and enjoy the city for the playground that it is, meanwhile, regular people will more likely than not continue to move out of the city as they have been for at least the last five years, except Cubans who enjoy a privilege here that they won't find anywhere else in the country.

Moma's statement on outliers is definitely on point.

Quote: (12-04-2014 02:07 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Overall views on Miami with the beach as a reference point tend to be limited at best.

Construction is "booming" because once the deal is struck the project must go on, just because something is being built doesn't mean the developer is winning.

I could go on, but I don't want to seem like I don't agree with anything the OP has to say, and I at least respect his POV since he actually lives here, but I stand by my assessment that Miami is a city chocked full of illusions.

Successful people can afford to move here and enjoy the city for the playground that it is, meanwhile, regular people will more likely than not continue to move out of the city as they have been for at least the last five years, except Cubans who enjoy a privilege here that they won't find anywhere else in the country.

Moma's statement on outliers is definitely on point.

I have lived all over Miami. I went to public school here so I am not using South Beach as a reference. Believe me Jariel all those things you are saying about Miami I once believed as well. I believe Miami had a brain drain with a lot "cool" people but not many "interesting" ones.

My perception has changed this year. Earlier this year I made a concentrated effort on going to networking events and meeting a lot of entrepreneurs and professionals. Talking to and meeting them has changed my perception. I believe there is a growing movement to make this a "real" city with a soul.

Of course Miami still has a lot issues but if you go and meet these types of people you'll feel differently about this city and where it's headed.