rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

12 things I learned from Robert Rodriguez talking about film
2 things I learned from Robert Rodriguez talking about film
I just started out as a self employed videographer, and have been running my business for less than a year. I watch a lot of videos online about different aspects of video production, however I rarely find any information about running a video business, because most videos is about equipment reviews, tutorials and that sort. But then I fell over a video with Robert Rodriguez's 10 minute film school, but all I heard, was how to start a business.

Here are the 12 things I picked up:

1. So you wanna be an entrepreneur? Fine, are already an entrepreneur. Make a business card that says ‘entrepreneur’, and start thinking like an entrepreneur.

2. Creative people are born creative, you need to be technical. If you are not technical you will depend on technical people. The technical know-how can be learned. Technical people can’t be creative, but if you become technical, you become unstoppable.

3. You have experience from other businesses, you have bought goods and services. Now it is time you get business experience. Start a business, and learn from you mistakes. Some mistakes look like decisions, claim that your mistakes are decisions. You can get away with a lot.

4. Start with a business plan. Can you write a business plan? No? Good! Then you won’t write a business plan like everybody else.

5. Don’t start something with a big budget. There will always be problems along the way, you can either wash them away with money you don’t have, or you can solve the problems yourself. Make a cheap business, who do you know? Do your dad run a liquor store, start there! Do your mom work at a nursing home, start there!

6. How do you visualize your business? Close your eyes, think. Do you work fast or slow? Who are your customers? How do they buy? Does it all make sense? Write down what you see, and go out and make some contacts.

7. Equipment. The worse the better, this is your first business. Borrow what you need. Don’t use new and smart solutions, then you don’t know how it works or what you really need. Do it manually.

8. Don’t spend your money on marketing, have a few interested contacts, and work from there. It’s exclusive, use your shortcomings to your advantage.

9. Use digital solutions, and don’t be afraid to experiment. Don’t use paper, you’ll just misplace them.

10. You have made your business. You are out there, and everybody wants you, now what? The world is full of sharks, you need some of the sharks to work for you. Get an accountant and a lawyer, they will help you get the best deals, and you won’t leave money on the table.

11. Now you can start a cheap business. Nobody from business school can do that. Businesses with small budgets can look like big businesses, but money can cheat you, with a big budget you will get a big responsibility. If you spend a lot of money, you have to earn a lot of money.

12. Stop aspiring, start doing. See you at the top, and be dangerous!

Pretty spot on with reality.
Great video. I don't know if this dude can really teach you how to run a business or even how to make a film; a lot of his advice sounds simple but as is so often the case, amounts to a professional chef telling you to "just cook it until it's done". But something definitely worth learning from him is how to speak in public and run a room. His charisma and ability to command attention goes about as far as is possible along his own super-successful X-er hipster asshole lines. The video was filmed a year after Glengarry Glen Ross came out and he certainly watched his Baldwin closely, as well he should have.

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it a great deal.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...
Quote: (11-29-2014 09:31 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Great video. I don't know if this dude can really teach you how to run a business or even how to make a film; a lot of his advice sounds simple but as is so often the case, amounts to a professional chef telling you to "just cook it until it's done". But something definitely worth learning from him is how to speak in public and run a room. His charisma and ability to command attention goes about as far as is possible along his own super-successful X-er hipster asshole lines. The video was filmed a year after Glengarry Glen Ross came out and he certainly watched his Baldwin closely, as well he should have.

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it a great deal.

Yeah, it is not so much about running a business, but to get started, and I still have a lot to learn before I consider myself established. I think there are some great lessons to be learned here, and I definitely enjoy his happy-go-lucky honest hustler approach. For a long time I had analysis paralysis, till the point where I just had a 'Fuck it' moment and punched my information into the business registration form.

Being good at public speaking and having some social intelligence is huge plus, you can be the worlds best, but if you can't sell it, you ain't worth it. I'm throwing everything at my contacts that I have learned so far about gaming.