rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fitting Sprints Into Your Training Regimen

For those of you who do windsprint workouts, how do you work them into your routine? Do you squeeze them in on a lifting day? Do you give them their own day? How often are you sprinting?

I'm want to peel off some extra pounds, which I know lifting and diet will handle alone, but I also like the idea of training my ability to get the fuck out of dodge if my life every depends on it. To me, it seems a no brainer that all-around fitness should include an advanced ability to scramble a few hundred yards when all hell breaks loose. They're also a challenging, fun way to mix up your routine. You feel like a real boss after you get done with that type of workout - your whole being just glows.

Currently, I work out every other day, which adds up to four days a week. I could use one of those days to sprint instead, but do you think one day a week of solid sprinting is enough for steady gains in speed and endurance?

On the other hand, throwing them in on days when I'm lifting might be a bit too taxing on my body right now, and I don't want to overdo it. I know I can take the punishment, but I'm not sure it's the best thing for me - it has been a damn long time since I've been anything close to serious about exercise, and while I'm getting somewhere, I've still got some catching up to do.

Feel free to discuss anything else regarding sprints here too.

Here's another thread with a hill sprint workout and some other info: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26915.html

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

In the beginning, I would recommend that you do them right after your lifting for a short period of mini sprints(5-10 minutes). After you feel you can push it a bit more, to do a 20-30 minutes sprint session on an empty stomach separately from your lifting. For example on an off day to do these sprints right after you get out of bed, and then later in the day complete your regular workout. It'll be hard, but with a great diet you'll be in great shape.

Sprint day and resistance training day are different.

The resistance training day is for endurance from sprint day while sprint day is for cardio, more oxygen.

Use your jump rope for a while to build up your feet, ankles and knees to handle the load from sprinting, to prevent injury. And please don't wear toe shoes.

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:41 AM)Captain Gh Wrote:  

For example on an off day to do these sprints right after you get out of bed, and then later in the day complete your regular workout. It'll be hard, but with a great diet you'll be in great shape.

Good idea.

I usually go walk for about an hour every morning when I wake up. Nothing fast-paced - I just take it as a time to relax, listen to audios, and maybe take a dip in the ocean. If it's a training day, I hit the gym after writing for a couple hours.

Could cut the walk short and switch the time out for sprints a couple days a week, so it wouldn't rob any additional time for my schedule. Would be nice to avoid the heat here in the tropics anyways.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

In the beginning, I would recommend that you do them right after your lifting for a short period of mini sprints(5-10 minutes). After you feel you can push it a bit more, to do a 20-30 minutes sprint session on an empty stomach separately from your lifting. For example on an off day to do these sprints right after you get out of bed, and then later in the day complete your regular workout. It'll be hard, but with a great diet you'll be in great shape.

I think it would be a good thing if guys in general (not you personally BB) realised that it is possible to do more than one workout per day without dying.

There is nothing at all, other than time, stopping a healthy man doing a long run, a weights session and a boxing/springting/sports activity all on the same day, 4-6 days per week.

Sure it will be painful at the beginning and rest and nutrition become even more important but it's plain sailing after a few weeks if those elements are taken care of.

^ I feel like that sometimes too. I mean, never did I get in shape as quickly as wrestling season when I was a youngster, and we most certainly did not honor rest days. Same with basic training. I've been having to hold back from not working out more because I'm amped to do it. I get jittery as fuck on my mellow days at the moment because I want to get out there and push myself.

My main concern with overtraining is the possibility of decreasing testosterone. A lot of guys who say it's impossible to overtrain (Victor Pride being one of them) seem to ignore that issue.

Either way, it wouldn't kill me. I could just pay attention to what my body was telling me and back off for breaks as needed, as well as get some proper testosterone screening after I adapted to the routine.

The overtraining issue would make a great thread in its own right; I know there are a lot of different ideas about it.

Beyond All Seas

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:01 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

^ I feel like that sometimes too. I mean, never did I get in shape as quickly as wrestling season when I was a youngster, and we most certainly did not honor rest days. Same with basic training. I've been having to hold back from not working out more because I'm amped to do it. I get jittery as fuck on my mellow days at the moment because I want to get out there and push myself.

My main concern with overtraining is the possibility of decreasing testosterone. A lot of guys who say it's impossible to overtrain (Victor Pride being one of them) seem to ignore that issue.

Either way, it wouldn't kill me. I could just pay attention to what my body was telling me and back off as needed, as well as get some proper testosterone screening after I adapted to the routine.

The kind of schedule I mentioned above is pretty much a day in the life of a serious fighter. Guys not known for low Testosterone.

Interesting point though; it'd be good if there was (there may be) some research out there on this topic.

^ A fair point, indeed.

Beyond All Seas

Going to go do sprints now. Tabatas.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Just to throw this out there; I recommend running hills and/or steps. You burn so much fat doing that it is ridiculous. You also get a great burn and improve your speed. So it is also great for sports players.

When I do them it's separate from my lifting days, but keep the duration short. With lifting, BJJ, and then sprints, it's extremely hard on my body.

In terms of the over-training issue, it's something guys need to find out for themselves. I agree that most guys don't train hard enough to overtrain. However, this is something I don't see eye to eye with VP on. Saying it's impossible is incorrect.

Taking myself as an example, I used to be able train BJJ 5x a week, roll hard every class, lift 3x a week, and do cardio on top of that in my 20s. Nowadays I simply can't maintain that schedule. Some days I just drill instead, and go light on the weights.

It's not a testosterone issue, my last blood test was ~750 ng/dl.

As you get older where you really start to take a beating is your joints. More is not better. The HS wrestling regimen of training everyday no longer applies.

There's a reason some pro MMA fighters are going on TRT once they hit their 30s.

Quote: (11-15-2014 11:55 AM)Neo Wrote:  

When I do them it's separate from my lifting days, but keep the duration short. With lifting, BJJ, and then sprints, it's extremely hard on my body.

In terms of the over-training issue, it's something guys need to find out for themselves. I agree that most guys don't train hard enough to overtrain. However, this is something I don't see eye to eye with VP on. Saying it's impossible is incorrect.

Taking myself as an example, I used to be able train BJJ 5x a week, roll hard every class, lift 3x a week, and do cardio on top of that in my 20s. Nowadays I simply can't maintain that schedule. Some days I just drill instead, and go light on the weights.

It's not a testosterone issue, my last blood test was ~750 ng/dl.

As you get older where you really start to take a beating is your joints. More is not better. The HS wrestling regimen of training everyday no longer applies.

There's a reason some pro MMA fighters are going on TRT once they hit their 30s.

To give Victor some credit, his writing style is very shove-the-info down a newbie's throat, shut up and just do it kind of advice. I think when he said that, his point was more that overtraining was impossible for a beginner, and his point was probably more that beginners are just pussies who have no idea how much it really takes to overtrain. I doubt he meant that nobody could overtrain, but his book is written for newbs.

There's obviously some danger in that advice still, though, as beginners are more susceptible to injury.

I like his writing, but he most certainly exaggerates and lays his advice on thick. That's what makes his style so motivational and entertaining though.

Beyond All Seas

Quote: (11-15-2014 12:20 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

To give Victor some credit, his writing style is very shove-the-info down a newbie's throat, shut up and just do it kind of advice. I think when he said that, his point was more that overtraining was impossible for a beginner, and his point was probably more that beginners are just pussies who have no idea how much it really takes to overtrain. I doubt he meant that nobody could overtrain, but his book is written for newbs.

There's obviously some danger in that advice still, though, as beginners are more susceptible to injury.

I like his writing, but he most certainly exaggerates and lays his advice on thick. That's what makes his style so motivational and entertaining though.

I agree. I like the guy. I haven't read a lot of his blog, but he's very helpful and inspirational, I've corresponded with him through email. I like the 'get off your ass and just do it style' which is how I am as well when people ask me for fitness advice. I just tend to be more of a realist since I've got a bad knee and other injuries from going all out like a moron when I was younger. I don't regret it, but some days I wake up and feel like my body's been hit by a truck.

I think I've definitely over-trained a few times but I probably have low testosterone, if I'm honest with myself (although it's never been checked).

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Why do I keep reading Spirits?

In that case I would say yes you should.

I do sprints as a fun replacement for leg day. I sprint up sand dunes at the beach. I also run up the dunes backwards.

After sprinting, I do a few sets of body weight squats, lower back exercises, hip exercises, and lots of stretching.

Quote: (11-15-2014 12:20 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

overtrain

Most people don't work hard enough to "over train" -- But, they get symptoms of over training because they under sleep and under eat. (low quality food)

It's essentially the same thing as "over training".

Quote: (11-15-2014 01:38 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Why do I keep reading Spirits?

In that case I would say yes you should.

hahaahahah

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:51 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

Use your jump rope for a while to build up your feet, ankles and knees to handle the load from sprinting, to prevent injury. And please don't wear toe shoes.

I can agree with this. Jumping right into a sprint workout is hard on the feet and ankles.

When I do sprints, that's my only substantial exercise of the day. I sprint once or twice a week. I make sure not to sprint the day before I do squats since I feel it impacts my squatting.

I always do my sprints on grass fields, and I always wear toe shoes for sprints. I don't recommend toe shoes for distance running, but I think they are perfect for sprinting on a grass field.

When I sprint, I warm up with a short jog across the field, and then a faster run across the field (about 70% of max output) I also do a couple minutes of stretching. Since sprinting is so intense and you are pushing yourself to the limit, I feel a warm-up is absolutely necessary.

As for form, I make sure that I am always springing off the front part of my foot, and my heels never touch the ground. I sprint across the field, and then do a light jog/walk back to the starting point, take a small breather if needed, and then do it again. And again. Until the thought of doing one more makes me feel like puking. When I'm sprinting, I clear out all thoughts and just focus on my breath. It can be very meditative.

If I want to make it more intense, I emphasize each twist my body makes as I run. Kind of like power-walking, but with sprinting. When I do this I always feel it in my obliques.

Nothing fatigues me more than a sprint workout. For a little while afterwards I feel completely wiped out. Slowly I'll regain my energy but I'll be very chill/blissful for the rest of the day.

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:57 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

I think it would be a good thing if guys in general (not you personally BB) realised that it is possible to do more than one workout per day without dying.

There is nothing at all, other than time, stopping a healthy man doing a long run, a weights session and a boxing/springting/sports activity all on the same day, 4-6 days per week.

Sure it will be painful at the beginning and rest and nutrition become even more important but it's plain sailing after a few weeks if those elements are taken care of.

I'm in the process of testing this out. The fear of overtraining is strong, but how many have actually tested their limits, especially NOT by doing excessive endurance training but doing varied workouts?

Lots of calories, lots of sleep, lots of exercise.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (11-15-2014 07:02 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:57 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

I'm in the process of testing this out. The fear of overtraining is strong, but how many have actually tested their limits, especially NOT by doing excessive endurance training but doing varied workouts?

Lots of calories, lots of sleep, lots of exercise.

Last time I was in Thailand, 18 months ago, I was doing 5 hours of training per day (2 x 2hour classes, 1 1-on-1 padwork session and 1 run) I managed about 8 weeks of this 6 days per week before I got sick and just couldn't train for a week.

Working out twice a day is normal if you want to take it to the next level.

When I ran track I would do my pylometrics and lifting in the morning and then lifting in the evening.

Just remember to stretch each body part for 20 seconds, work on flexibility, spend plenty of time of warm ups.

If you want I can put together a short workout list to break you in.

Sprinting will increase your squat due to the increased connection between fast twitch fibers-brain, overall gain in leg muscle development, increase in bone strength.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Horrible for your knees and lower back in the long term.
Read this:
http://fabfitover40.com/2014/10/10/runni...heelchair/

Quote: (11-18-2014 02:26 PM)StrengthBySonny Wrote:  

Horrible for your knees and lower back in the long term.
Read this:
http://fabfitover40.com/2014/10/10/runni...heelchair/

This applies to distance running on hard surfaces, not sprinting, and definitely not sprinting on grass fields.