rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone quit their smartphone?

I only actually upgraded to a smartphone in late 2012, when my company basically required a phone that I can use to check work email when necessary.

Till then, I was still rocking a flip phone since late 2008.

I don't mess with any apps aside from whatsapp and maybe viber and Skype to stay in contact with international friends. I'm also considering trying Tinder soon because I live in a sprawling wide city that doesn't make for much foot traffic and day game opportunities.

Unfortunately I find myself looking at the phone during idle time such as at the airport, at work, when eating solo at restaurants - often looking up the same old sites like sports forums or wikipedia, when I could be making conversation to those around me and keep my social energy strong.

I guess its easy to blame the smartphone for declining social energy but I benefitted a lot from 2008-011 (when I first started getting into game) by just constantly socializing with those around me. Its harder to justify doing even that these days though since its like everyone around is also playing with their smart devices.

I don't think I'm addicted, at all, especially compared to most people and will rarely check the phone out when with friends, but overall, I think I felt better during those years without the smartphone. Anyone have any experiences quitting or finding ways to limit use of the smartphone?

I was feeling like that a few weeks ago, but at the same time it is a good tool that would work.So what I did was get rid of all the time waster apps such as social media or turn off notifications that works wonders since you will only check it when you really have nothing to do, altough last year I did switch to a smart phone for a few months and it was good. Although Im in the cellphone business I recommend people to unplug from their devices often it is not healthy to be there 24/7

I still don't even have a smartphone. Still got the same cheap flip phone I've had for the past 4 years. It works so it is goo in my book

Pleased to say I have never owned a smartphone. My last phone (an outdated slider with very basic internet that was quite useful sometimes) just died, so I downgraded to one that cost less than £10 and doesn't even have internet. Just calls and texts. In a few months I'll go back to one that probably has a few more features, or I might decide I like having a phone again that was like my first one, when a mobile was just a mobile and nothing else.

"As wolves among sheep we have wandered"

I just got a smartphone. Im amazing how nice they are. I got an app for audiobooks in Chinese. I listen to it all the time walking. Lots of things I was missing out on.

After stubbornly refusing to get a smartphone over all these years, I finally broke down earlier this fall and bought one.

At first, it was an ephiphany. As someone who runs a business online, it was hugely convenient to have full-time access to email, and it was also helpful running my GTD app, which kept all my many projects organized in my pocket. I also used google translate quite a bit and looked a lot of stuff up spur of the moment.

That said, I did spend a bit too much time updating Facebook and fucking around with my phone when I otherwise would have been reading or jotting in a notebook.

After about 3 weeks, maybe 2, I got way too hammered and some third world slut I don't even remember meeting stole my first smartphone.

It has has been more than two months now, and as nice as it was to have one, nothing is really calling me to run out and get another. It was convenient but not necessary.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I think that this ties into a deeper question about how much we really want the Internet in our lives.

I think that this would be a good thread in its own right, if it hasn't already been created. There are serious benefits to being connected to the Internet only in one or two places - at school/work, for example, and the Starbucks down the street. But not at home.

I lived unconnected from the Internet (except for at work, etc.) for many years not long ago and it was really, really wonderful.

Imagine how much shit you'd get done, upon coming home, with naught to do but read and exercise, or go out. No Internet.

I lost my smart phone for a week and things like eating lunch was so much better. Just relaxing and paying attention to your surroundings. Eating with someone and making conversation with them, as opposed to cheking Facebook. It felt great. Like a fog had been lifted or something. It really made a bigger impact not having it than I thought it would.

On the flip side it's great for a lot of things as well. Probably much better off without them, but I find it hard to give it up voluntarily.

I no longer use one as they'd only last me a few weeks before the screen would get cracked. I definitely agree with RioNomad, that it felt like a relief to no longer have one.

I think some people do find it strange that I don't have one, and I've had a few comments from men in my social circle. Girls have never said anything yet though, probably because they can sense I don't give a shit.

The industry that I work in makes having a smartphone rather useful. Also in North America , they have integrated creature comforts into the assumption that one has a smartphone. They can scan your flight ticket in from the receipt you got via email..directly from your smartphone. A smartphone is merely a micronised laptop and a laptop is a smaller version of the desktop PC. The only difference with a smartphone is that you have the ability to also make and receive calls.
It's equivalent to saying: Is a car important? No, not in New York city but in Florida and Texas, you're practically illiterate without one.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I honestly feel that the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Smart phones have a huge range of applications that can help the average man get ahead. I have found in my own experience that it has afforded me greater opportunity for a lesser amount of time spent.

It is a question of self restraint. Simply assign yourself certain rules and stick to them.

Rules like not downloading apps without value such as games and popular gossip apps, or limiting use when with company.

You can use workout trackers such as mapmyrun, cookbooks, tinder (if that's your game) News apps, stock checkers, trading platforms, the ebay app for quickly stealing the last bid on an item you've been watching. To name a few.

I have a nice iPhone 5c, when you're in a foreign city and don't know how to get anywhere it's really reassuring.

But what I do do when I'm not trolling for a girlfriend is try to have all sounds turned off. I tell people I am not on call, I look at it if and when I want to , and that point will reply to their message.

I don't find myself attached to my laptop at home. I use it when needed, for listening to music, emailing friends, and when I need to get work done.

But the phone tends to get used at times when I know I could be more "present" and in the moment. That's why one reason I would love to ditch it and go back to a flip phone. I think I'd keep the smartphone around, perhaps leaving it at home and to use it message friends through whatsapp or access Tinder, etc.

Smartphones are a indispensable tool these days. The problem though is overuse. Limit your time on it, especially with social media apps and you'll be fine. Back in the day I'd go home a spend a couple hours on the laptop checking emails, surfing the web. Now I can do that during work, clearing my evenings for other shit. I'm a firm believer in NOT using online game during anytime you can be chasing tail in real time.

I don't have a smartphone and I don't need one.

- I know where I'm going before I leave my house.

- If I get lost, I ask people for directions.

- I don't need social media, I have plenty of social interaction in real life.

- I don't use email for work.

- I don't like to surf the web all day

- I don't do online dating

I have never said to myself -- "I wish I had a smartphone right now"

Everyone around me has a "smartphone" so if I really need to look something up I can just ask my friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., to let me borrow their phone. This has happened only once or twice.

I prefer to less connected.

Quote: (11-15-2014 01:32 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

- I know where I'm going before I leave my house.

- If I get lost, I ask people for directions.

- I don't need social media, I have plenty of social interaction in real life.

- I don't use email for work.

- I don't like to surf the web all day

- I don't do online dating

I have never said to myself -- "I wish I had a smartphone right now"

Everyone around me has a "smartphone" so if I really need to look something up I can just ask my friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., to let me borrow their phone. This has happened only once or twice.

I prefer to less connected.

How would you check the RVF if away from home?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Seems to me lots of people like talking shit on smart phones and how they don't need them and it causes more problems then benefits. I think that just shows a lack of discipline in how they use it.

If used properly and not as a crutch to always solve your boredom it might be one of the greatest tools to come about in the past decade.

Having a smartphone has saved me so much pain and anguish I wouldn't want to live with out it. When I travel having google maps is invaluable. Not having to sit at my desk and wait to reply to an email means I can go out and do other things. When the owner of an airbnb apartment doesn't show up on time and I can log into the airbnb app and get all their info instantly can be a life saver. The list of useful things it can be used for is almost endless.

My life has significantly improved because of having a smart phone.

I have a smartphone with no internet (use wifi!). This limits my smartphone use to flip-phone except with better camera taking abilities and a calendar.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (11-15-2014 01:52 PM)Moma Wrote:  

I bring my laptop to work. We have free wifi

Other places to get online are:

- public library
- Apple store, Microsoft store, computer stores, etc.
- University book stores

I have occasionally used the internet for free in all of these places

In an emergency, I just borrow someones phone or tablet. (I've never had an emergency regarding internet access, email, or checking RVF)

Last week, I asked the customer service at Whole Foods to look up a pizza place for me. They got me the phone number in seconds!

Most importantly, I tried to be prepared with all the information I need before I leave my house.

I will get a smartphone when I feel that not having one is costing me $$$ + 18-19 year old girls.

I'm not there yet, but, ironically, I hope to get there!

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (11-15-2014 03:34 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2014 01:52 PM)Moma Wrote:  

I bring my laptop to work. We have free wifi

Other places to get online are:

- public library
- Apple store, Microsoft store, computer stores, etc.
- University book stores

I have occasionally used the internet for free in all of these places

In an emergency, I just borrow someones phone or tablet. (I've never had an emergency regarding internet access, email, or checking RVF)

Last week, I asked the customer service at Whole Foods to look up a pizza place for me. They got me the phone number in seconds!

Most importantly, I tried to be prepared with all the information I need before I leave my house.

I will get a smartphone when I feel that not having one is costing me $$$ + 18-19 year old girls.

I'm not there yet, but, ironically, I hope to get there!

It seems tedious to ask someone for their phone to get online. Could spend that time doing other things. For instance, if a lizard asks me to meet her at a place that I don't know if she texts me the address, I can put it into in my smartphone and use the internet application to get me there. If I need to find out some information, I can go online from the phone instead of looking for someone with a phone.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

I wish I could.

It's so useful for work.
But the downside is that it feeds my internet addiction.

WIA

I had a smartphone back in like 2009, I gave it up because I was going through massive financial problems and couldn't handle the bill.

I'm thinking about getting one again now...

I've got an "ObamaPhone", which you can get for free if you receive EBT or Medicaid. It comes with 250 mins a month (which I've never come close to using).

I think I would buy a Tablet before I would buy a Smartphone.

I hate my smartphone, but it is just too useful to get rid of it.

Deus vult!