rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I'm having trouble gaining mass

Since having joined a gym ~7 months ago I've noticed some positive results - more defined muscles, more strength and improved fitness.
However, the one thing that just doesn't seem to shift significantly is my weight.
Currently I stand at 5' 11" and weight circa 60kgs. Sometimes it hovers a little above or below.

I'm not sure whether it's due to my diet or exercise regimen so I was wondering if someone could take a look and see where I might be able to improve some areas.

I'll start with my diet information and then with my workout.

Breakfast:
-1 Coffee & 1 squash
-Large bowl of cornflakes

Lunch:
-Sandwich (usually all-day breakfast or chicken & stuffing)
-Bag of crisps
-Drink
I don't do lunch very often though due to work.

Dinner:
-Microwave cooked mixed vegetables
-2 grilled beefburgers
-Portion of oven-cooked chips
-Breaded fillet fish/steak pie (alternating days)

Accounting for snacks between meals and assuming the websites I've been using have valid information then I estimate my daily calorie intake at somewhere between 2100-2450.

I workout 3 times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's the same routine every day but sometimes I'll vary depending on how busy certain pieces of equipment are.

-Stretches
-2's and 20's decreasing from 20kg
-Treadmill run approx. 2.5km in 11 minutes.
-6 sets of 6 reps of shoulder presses at 29kg.
-6x6 leg presses at 86kg.
-6x6 chest presses at 47kg.
-6x6 twist sit-ups weighted with 10kg.
-6x6 seated rows at 41kg
-6x6 bench presses at 25, 30 and 32.5kg.
Sometime I'll throw in some chin-ups or squats to mix it up a little.

I don't take any supplements or enhancements. It's all diet and water.
I'd appreciate any insights.

Whole milk.

That's a ton of sets for a hardgainer as well

I've gained considerable weight doing this 1x a week:

3x5 heavy weighted dips
3x8 a modified reverse curl / bent row

That's it with little cardio and tons of food.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

First off, how old are you?

Second, you'd probably get better results ditching the cable-based machines in favour of free weights.

Step 1: eat until you want to puke
Step 2: eat some more.

Fundamentally you're missing the most important part of the equation to gain weight, i.e.: calories in must exceed calories out.
You need to vastly increase your calorie intake. Not just bump it up a little. At your stats it really doesn't matter what you eat, just eat ( certainly until you've added a shit ton of mass). As a hard gainer and if your stats are true a pretty skinny guy (so am/was i), then your metabolism will likely up regulate to try to burn off those extra calories, so you will have to go way beyond your body's ability to do that.
For any sort of fast result you'll need to go at it hard and just keep eating all day. It's hard if you're an ectomorph, as you likely don't have a huge appetite. I used to think i did as a skinny guy, as i could eat huge portions, but when i added it all up, i was 'only' eating 2500 calories a day. Which is nothing if you're trying to gain.

Try to add at least 1000 cal a day more than you are now for a few months and then if you haven't added some weight... which you will have if you genuinely add that many calories a day... look at tailing off some of that cardio. Agree with Travesty, up the weights a little and drop a set or two from each lift*.
As mentioned, i'm a very hard gainer and i need to take a quality mass gainer (some are junk & some are ok) to get an extra 600-700cal which even if i skip a meal through being busy, always puts me over my minimum target of 3000cal a day and often takes me to 3500. I'm still only adding around pound of mass a month. I would add more calories and dial back the cardio to speed up the gains, but i like my 6 pack too much..

*Counting reps and sets is not really the ideal scenario unless you can't trust yourself to genuinely go to failure over and over until you can't get to at least 5 reps, regardless of whether that is on set 3 or set 6.

You're having trouble gaining mass...well no kidding.

What are you doing to gain mass?

Ditch the cornflakes and crisps. The last thing you need are empty calories. For breakfast eat a bowl of granola with yogurt and 4 scrambled eggs.

For lunch eat a sandwich but pack it with roast turkey and bacon. Drink a high calorie smoothie.

For dinner eat protein and vegetables. Make sure it's at least 6 ounces of protein, ideally twice that much.

Drink 2 full glasses of full fat milk with each meal. You'll get gassy but this is just a phase.

I went from 180lbs to 215 after a year of this off and on. I got a gut in the process which I'm working on burning off (I'm down to 192 now)

Gaining mass isn't all it's cracked up to be, meaning if you're trying to gain mass, a good portion of that is going to be fat. It's incredibly hard to gain *lean* mass. At best, you're looking at 1-2lbs per month. That's with perfect consistency and a nicely formulated high protein diet. You need to push either your weights or your reps harder, preferably both and switch up your routine every 2-3 months. This is why guys go through phases of bulking and cutting. You really have to determine if bulking is for you. If it's not, then you're in for a very long, very gradual journey.

Ditch the leg presses and start squatting and deadlifting. If you've got juice later on you can bring the leg presses back in.

On your compound lifts, make sure you're progressive loading either weight or reps. I.e. 5x5 but adding weight every week, if not every workout. Or keep the weight the same but work up to 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps and then increase the weight.

If you're not sore and/or drained by the time you leave the gym, you're not going hard enough. We all have some workouts that are better than others but for the most part you should definitely feel the the next day. Push your body harder and then replenish it harder.

Don't wait until you're hungry to eat. The minute you feel like, "Yeah, I could eat some more without being too uncomfortable" then eat something.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

You won't gain any mass lifting puny weights. Your body has no reason to grow muscles if you don't give it at least one, as muscles are costly to build and maintain.

The golden gate to building muscles is time under tension. To elaborate, spend as much time as possible under as much tension (i.e resistance or weights) as possible. This means lifting heavier for higher volume.

Coupled that with eating more proteins, and you're set. Forget about counting overall calories. A skinny guy should just focus on counting proteins, and don't worry about carbs and fats. Get minimum 2g per kg of bodyweight daily, more if you find it hard to gain.

Your daily food sounds more like a diet to me then something someone wanting to gain mass/weight would eat.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (11-14-2014 05:26 PM)Hardy Daytona Wrote:  

-Stretches
-2's and 20's decreasing from 20kg
-Treadmill run approx. 2.5km in 11 minutes.
-6x6 seated rows at 41kg

You leg press 190lbs and bench press 71lbs. And you wonder why you're not gaining mass?

I hope you are talking about 32.5kg dumbells and not 32.5kg total on barbell.

I'm in a similar position. My thread: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-42178.html

You're not eating enough (same as me). As long as the weights are heavy (i.e. your muscles are sore and swollen after you leave the gym), the eating is the limiting factor.

Basically, you need to eat about 50%-100% more, by whatever means necessary.

Quote: (11-14-2014 09:44 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

You won't gain any mass lifting puny weights. Your body has no reason to grow muscles if you don't give it at least one, as muscles are costly to build and maintain.

Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. Are you progressively increasing the weight of your lifts? Progressive Overload

Eating well is just as important as upping your intensity when it comes to bulking.

Conversely, if you aren't eating to gain weight, but have intense workouts, then you should look cut / ripped.
-
Moving to free weights or even body weight doesn't matter too much. One advantage of both of these is that they tend to be compound exercises, e.g. squat and deadlift. One advantage of body weight exercises are that you can safely increase your speed or change up a variation to simulate increased mass.
-
In the end, the universe doesn't care which methods you use. If you put in more calories than you expend and you slowly increase intensity, you will grow. Best of luck :>

If you did even basic research before posting this thread you'd see you're having trouble gaining mass because you've screwed the pooch with your whole program, if it can be called a program.

If you put in even a little bit of effort on your own you'd get a lot more help from people on the forum.

You are over complicating the whole thing.

1/ Ensure you are getting good wholesome meals with as many being homemade as possible. Things like rice and white potatoes are your friend when bulking. Find interesting ways to cook the food to make large volumes of it more bearable. (I find Paella etc useful when bulking without putting on too much fat)

2/ Smoothies for health: in the morning blend protein powder with mixed berries, spinach and oats.

3/multi-vitamins and EFA's : Take a multi vit supp and an omega 3 6 and 9 supp

5/focus on the core lifts: Squat, (snatch grip) dead lift, Pull/chin up and Dips - look for time under tension and focus on form above all else

Typical routine:

A

5 set of 5 reps: Front Squat
5 set to 1 before failure: Dips
5 Sets to 1 before failure: Chins
Ab work
Foam roll/ Stretch

B

5 Sets of 5: SG DL
5 set to 1 before failure: Dips
5 Sets to 1 before failure: Chins
Ab Work
Foam roll/stretch

Week 1: Monday A Wednesday B Friday A
Week 2: Monday B Wednesday A Friday B

6/ Cardio is your friend. focus on short bouts of intense exercise such as HIIT. through keeping strong cardio vascular systems you are ensuring the supply chain to your muscles is working at its most efficient. to counter the extra calories spent keep your intake high.

7/ Ditch the junk. Be aware of how your body reacts to foods. Ditch anything that makes you queasy or phlegmy. this food often inflames the intestines which leads to poor absorption of nutrients. Anything processed will also have a similar effect.

Buddy, you aren't lifting heavy enough or eating properly.

It's as simple as that.

Diet is not healthy enough and workouts are not intense enough.

Lets look at his diet:

Breakfast:

-1 Coffee & 1 squash
-Large bowl of cornflakes

Replace the cornflakes with Oatmeal.

Add a few eggs and/or a protein shake.

Lunch:

-Sandwich (usually all-day breakfast or chicken & stuffing)
-Bag of crisps
-Drink
I don't do lunch very often though due to work.

Eat lunch everyday!

Add more lean meat!

Replace the crisps with real potatoes or rice

Add some fresh fruits and vegetables.

Dinner:

-Microwave cooked mixed vegetables
-2 grilled beefburgers
-Portion of oven-cooked chips
-Breaded fillet fish/steak pie (alternating days)

This looks okay.

Meat and vegetables is a good dinner.

snacks

Try some fresh fruit, nuts, shakes, and salads.

===

Lets look at the workout:

-6x6 seated rows at 41kg

Push yourself to gradually go heavier.

Add some squats, deadlifts, chin ups, over head press, wide grip pull ups, and dips.

===

Quote: (11-14-2014 06:33 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

I went from 180lbs to 215 after a year of this off and on. I got a gut in the process which I'm working on burning off

(I'm down to 192 now)

If you got a gut, obviously, you were eating too much.

I mean, you gained 35 pounds and you got a gut!

Then, you proceeded to lose 23 pounds and you still have a gut!

These vast changes in weight are not necessary, in my opinion.

Getting a gut isn't necessary, in my opinion.

Muscle mass can be added without adding the gut.

===

Let me explain...

If you are going to lose your gut, you will likely have to lose another 5 pounds of so...

So, in the end you will only have gained around 7 or 8 pounds.

These 7 or 8 pounds can be added without the the creation of a gut.

How?

Eat less calories but eat dense, nutrient rich, protein packed food that will keep you feeling satisfied. Eat when you are hungry but don't over eat.

Lots of meat, lots of eggs, lots of beans, lots of nuts, lots of fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, yams, rice. (Stew, soup, chili)

Eat less carbs but get fuel from nuts, fruits and vegetables and meats.

High quality protein shakes.

Eat cleaner at night. Just lean meats and vegetables at night.

Cut out the sugar, flour, and alcohol.

It is possible to add muscle without adding excess fat.

===

This guy needs to eat more but he should not over eat. He also needs to eat better, higher quality food that is more likely to tun into muscle and less likely to turn into fat.

And, he needs to workout with more intensity.

I've just come back from the gym with my girl.

She's 5'8" and 57Kgs and in her second week of training.

Aside from shoulders she is lifting heavier weights than you are OP.

Quote: (11-15-2014 03:53 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

That's not very constructive.

There are plenty of people who may very well out lift him as there will be you.

The point is self improvement.

Comparing a marathon runner to a power lifter gets us nowhere.

Quote: (11-15-2014 04:31 PM)SJE Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2014 03:53 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

That's not very constructive.

There are plenty of people who may very well out lift him as there will be you.

The point is self improvement.

Comparing a marathon runner to a power lifter gets us nowhere.

It's constructive in that it's an illustration of the points I made in my first post of the thread; that the guy isn't pushing himself hard enough and is clearly capable of a lot lot more.

Now, do you have anything constructive to add?

Don't listen to about 98% of the shit these guys have said beyond their diet comments. Eat more.

Absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, do not listen to anyone telling you you're not lifting enough weight. If it is heavy enough for you struggle to hit your fifth rep, it's heavy enough to activate growth. These retards don't seem to comprehend that everyone must start somewhere.

Google Starting Strength and watch Mark Rippetoe's videos on proper form. Read Jason Ferruggia's website. Buy Huge in a Hurry by Chad Waterbury or Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey. Hell, try StrongLifts. However, Medhi, the program's author, is not a Fitness professional (has a Finance degree?) but he and the program are well-regarded, especially for beginners.

Here is my most important piece of advice. Buy a book from Cressey, Waterbury, or Rippetoe and read it. For years I relied on guys on forums and reading fad workouts on MensFitness, etc and pieced together workout routines. This is probably the worst thing anyone looking to radically change their body can do. The amount you learn by shelling out 15 bucks is invaluable to meeting your goals. AND STICK TO THE PROGRAM UNTIL IS IT OVER AS PER THE AUTHOR. Then move on to another professionally designed program because every pro will tell you no program works forever.

Here's a good, detailed list of food and recipes. I made the chili earlier this week and really liked it.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_arti...n_20_weeks

Quote:Quote:

These retards don't seem to comprehend that everyone must start somewhere.

That's the reason I asked how old he was. I'm also 5 11/6ft (depending on how straight I stand) yet I weigh 25kg more and am still a slim, lean guy. I just can't picture a grown man with that little muscle mass, but when I thought back, I realized I was that sort of size when I was 13 or 14 years old. If he's in the same age bracket and expecting to get jacked, I've got some bad news for him - It's going to take years.

I still remember finding out my first 1RM bench press at 13/14 years of age - 48kg. Granted he's using a chest press and I was doing free weights, but he's still doing 6 reps where I could only do 1.

It wasn't until I was 18 or so, after years of regular training that I started to get some size, and at 85kg now, some would argue I still haven't got much. But what I do I know is that if I hadn't put in long, hard hours, I wouldn't have packed on another 20+kgs of muscle, and wouldn't be posting numbers the envy of people another 20kg's bigger than me.*

*competitive powerlifters not included.

Quote: (11-15-2014 01:36 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (11-14-2014 06:33 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

I went from 180lbs to 215 after a year of this off and on. I got a gut in the process which I'm working on burning off

(I'm down to 192 now)

If you got a gut, obviously, you were eating too much.

I mean, you gained 35 pounds and you got a gut!

Then, you proceeded to lose 23 pounds and you still have a gut!

These vast changes in weight are not necessary, in my opinion.

Well, it's not the whole story, and as I mentioned, bulking and cutting isn't for everyone.

I had a gut when I started. I was textbook skinnyfat. When I grew, I grew proportionally. I got lats, I got shoulders, I got quads, and I got an ass. I just looked bigger. Clothes fit better. Yes, the gut grew in proportion as well but it was worth it, except the fact that it stuck out more than I cared for.

I've still got a layer of fat on my abs, but it's nothing like it was, and I've kept decent mass and definition (though I've noticed some strength loss)

Here's a before and after. The first pic is of me at 23, but I was like this all the way up to my late 20s. I was an embryo. Zero testosterone. Zero gym time. All around dufus and weakling. Sometime around 28-29 I started going to the gym but just sticking to machines, cables, and not really pushing myself. I was intimidated by the weight room. It wasn't until I was 31 that I started lifting and that's responsible for about 95% of the results I've seen. I started lifting almost exactly 2 years ago, and not gonna lie, I've had some consistency issues due to work and trips abroad. Second pic is pretty recent.

23, probably about 165:
[Image: tumblr_nf47n3LKBy1rkla7mo1_1280.jpg]

33, about 192:
[Image: tumblr_nf47o0OH6i1rkla7mo1_1280.jpg]

Obviously I've got some fat to shed, but at least there's something on my body besides skin, bones, and a blob of fat on my belly.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (11-15-2014 06:57 PM)sp_johnnyutah Wrote:  

Good luck with that. Might want to tone down the language when you're the new guy on an established forum.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (11-15-2014 11:51 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

Good luck with that. Might want to tone down the language when you're the new guy on an established forum.

When a poster comes in looking for help without a hint of “know-it-all-ism” or douchiness, and obviously doesn’t know what he’s doing and clearly is at the earliest beginner stage an adult male can be, responses that amplify and jeer at his physical weakness warrant being called out. Especially when the “constructive” criticisms couldn’t be more off-based. When you’re a dick and you’re also completely wrong, I don’t give a fuck if you have 20 posts or 20,000. I’ll call you on it.

Yeah.. that language isn't going to fly here.

Quote: (11-16-2014 12:12 AM)sp_johnnyutah Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2014 11:51 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

When a poster comes in looking for help without a hint of “know-it-all-ism” or douchiness, and obviously doesn’t know what he’s doing and clearly is at the earliest beginner stage an adult male can be, responses that amplify and jeer at his physical weakness warrant being called out. Especially when the “constructive” criticisms couldn’t be more off-based. When you’re a dick and you’re also completely wrong, I don’t give a fuck if you have 20 posts or 20,000. I’ll call you on it.

Calling someone on it is fine. If you can give evidence to the contrary then great. The ability to discuss and conclude with a logical answer is great. The ability to discuss is a power that all men should have

However the ability to fly off the rails with wild accusations about someones mental ability and phallus like appearance and claiming it is calling them out. Well, that's quite feminine.