rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Luggage Data Sheet

Luggage Data Sheet

I’ve been stuck figuring out in which ways I can contribute to the forum and help people better themselves, asking myself what knowledge I can share. I know there are a few other posts about luggage, but I wanted to write up quite a bit of info and didn’t want it to get lost in with all the other stuff. I did commission luggage sales in college, and learned waaayyy too much about what people use to keep their shit together while traveling.

Luggage. You’re traveling, you need it to haul your stuff from timezone to timezone. Luggage is often (certainly not always) one of those things that you get exactly what you put into it.

There are three tiers of luggage: The cheap stuff, the mid-range, and high quality.

The cheap stuff can be bought anywhere - Walmart, Target, Macy’s, Sears, Piggly Wiggly, etc.. and is usually a simple plastic or wire metal frame surrounded by cheap badly colored canvas. It’s usually found in sets but occasionally is sold piece by piece. I would really only recommend you buy this stuff if you a)have unimaginable luck, b)don’t travel often, or c)are in desperate need to get some more stuff packed and don’t have money to spend on better luggage. The upside to these besides their cheapness is that they typically weigh the least - what they sacrifice in protection for your stuff, they make up for in their light weight. Even the mid-range and high quality pieces advertised as light weight typically won’t weigh as much as the cheap stuff. Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein luggage fits into this category. These are almost always soft-sided, meaning they offer little protection for what’s inside.

Typically if it looks like this, it's not a long term investment...
[Image: U.S.-Traveler-4-piece-Exotic-Zebra-Print...528332.jpg]

Mid-range are recognizable brands - High Sierra, Delsey, Samsonite, Atlantic and so forth. While they have sets, they’re typically purchased individually. The fabric used in these is typically a nylon (sometimes ballistic nylon) basket weave, and they often have lightweight but strong plastic or metal frames. These pieces usually are expandable, have garment bags, and a long (5+ year) warranty. Typically soft sided, most hard shell cases fall into the mid-range category as well.

Delsey
[Image: Helium_Breeze_3_6pc_Set_green.jpg]

High quality - Anything made by Victorinox, more expensive Travelpro series, and Tumi. These pieces are almost always made of ballistic nylon with a high thread count, they’ll typically have metal or very durable plastic frames. The zippers are almost always metal, which makes them last longer and hold up to travel beatings. They’ll typically have “self-repairing’’ zippers, which helps you repair the zipper by yourself when they get stuck - very handy if you’re one of those people who overstuffs their bag on the regular. I don’t see much of a difference between higher end Travelpro, Victorinox, and Tumi. While typically Tumi is seen as the highest quality luggage typically available, I personally find it to be a waste of money - an extra hundred or more dollars for extremely similar quality. Most of these bags are water resistant, as well. They typically come with a lifetime warranty. These bags are typically used by people who travel frequently, though usually not to off the beaten track places. The bags are heavy, their durability comes from the materials used, which can lead to these pieces reaching their weight limit very quickly.

Victorinox
[Image: 312IH7qEG-L.jpg]

Tumi
[Image: tumi_detail.jpg]

Note: Very high end luggage like Hartmann needs a quick mention - it’s typically not worth it. It looks pretty when it’s brand new, but I saw one too many occasions where it looked like the baggage handlers had run it over then pissed on it a couple times for me to think it could hold up well considering the price.

Speaking of weight, large pieces and hard shells often end up weighing 1/3rd the weight limit completely empty. It can be a total pain in the ass.

Types of Luggage:
Carry-On: CHECK THE SIZE BEFORE YOU PACK
For a general idea of what different airlines allow for carry-on, take a look at this graph from luggagepros. http://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml
Typically any piece under 21 X 14 inches will be allowed as long as it’s under 50lbs. Check it in the little “Does your luggage fit” box at the ticket counter, nothing sucks more than missing your flight because your carry-on was half an inch too wide.

Garment Bag: A large bag designed with high end clothing in mind (the kind you don’t really want fold a zillion times to get it to fit). Useful for your suits/pants/quality shirts. Typically comes with a hanger and will unzip to display your clothes like a mini-closet. Two basic types, a free form bag known as a sleeve, it’s basically a cloth cover around a clothes hanger that fits one or two suits comfortably. The other type is a rolling garment bag which is the bigger, badder version of the sleeve. They usually fit three to five suits and offer a little more protection on account of being soft-sided.

[Image: Wheeled-garment-bag.jpg]

Backpacks - With these I tend to trust High Sierra, I’ve had really good luck with a big ass High Sierra bag I picked up and has held up against camping for weeks in the Boundary Waters, getting rifled through by customs officials in Asia, Latin America, and the TSA here in the US. I also have a smaller duffel that’s out of production these days but I can only imagine they designed it to survive the fucking apocalypse, it’s heavy as hell but it as best as I can determine is invulnerable.

Larger backpacks are good for traveling to places where there won’t be taxis or sidewalks, where wheeled luggage may not be the the best option.

I wouldn’t recommend buying a backpack where you buy your other luggage, instead buy them from camping stores - these are built to take a beating and are designed to be relatively lightweight.

My personal favorite is the Kitchen Sink. This is the backpack to end all backpacks. I imagine it’s heavy as hell, but it looks sweet and I’ve heard nothing but good about it. I’ll probably pick it up as a Kwanzaa present to myself later this year, in fact.

Duffel Bags: When you positively, absolutely, have to pack damn near everything with no concern about the condition it arrives in, this is the bag for you. Keep in mind that the really large ones are more prone to tearing, and being over the weight limit because people tend to pack them full of every goddamn thing they can think of.

If nothing else, always remember that ballistic nylon is tougher than a nylon-polyester weave, and a nylon-polyester weave is tougher than polyester.

Questions? Want help purchasing the right luggage? Want to know if yours sucks? I'll try to help out.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Luggage Data Sheet

I have been using this backpack (although a much older version but very similar):

[Image: 1005_night_sky_stratus_l.jpg]

It has lasted me over 8 years now. It shows no signs of ending anytime soon although one of the straps is starting to tear a bit, but this would be a pretty easy fix if it did shit out on me.

Luggage Data Sheet

Sometimes stores will do free repairs if they carry that brand. Just a quick phone call of, "Hey I bought this bag from you guys years ago..." is all it takes. Turn around is usually 1-2 weeks but no longer.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Luggage Data Sheet

Tumi is worth considering to be sure, and definitely if you can get it on sale. I recently picked up a midsize and carry-on T-tech (Tumi moderate priced line, but comes with a full warranty and then an extended partial warranty, for which they're notably generous on repairs), for more than 100 dollars off retail on each one, by shopping on E-bags. Free delivery as well. I bought them through the Alaska Airlines Mileage plan shopping portal as well, so for spending 500 USD, I got 3000 Alaska miles as well, which for me has a financial value of probably another 60-90 dollars, minimum.

Rimowa is another amazing choice, if price isn't an issue, or if you travel enough (like I do) to justify spending that kind of money. I've never seen "handling" on luggage like Rimowa, its like driving a ferrari around the airport.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Luggage Data Sheet

I would recommend Briggs and Riley above Tumi. I am actually sick of Tumi's designs for some reason, I have a few of their things and haven't really liked them that much from a few of their lines (ballistic nylon, t-tech, alpha bravo and leather rollers).

I have my Rimowa alumnium, but I'm scared to actually ding it up. I'm sure after a while I'll get over it, but I've been using other bags and just saving the Rimowa for trips to vegas and things like that since its a bit flashy.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (10-27-2014 01:05 AM)Drazen Wrote:  

I would recommend Briggs and Riley above Tumi. I am actually sick of Tumi's designs for some reason, I have a few of their things and haven't really liked them that much from a few of their lines (ballistic nylon, t-tech, alpha bravo and leather rollers).

I have my Rimowa alumnium, but I'm scared to actually ding it up. I'm sure after a while I'll get over it, but I've been using other bags and just saving the Rimowa for trips to vegas and things like that since its a bit flashy.

I personally don't like a lot of Tumi stuff. Is everything made by Rimowa a hard case? Looks like it from what I've seen online.

Luggage Data Sheet

Yes. Either Polycarbonate or Alumnium. I think they have titanium cases too.

Its more flash factor though, whenever I use either of my rimowas (aluminum roller or black polycarb boarding case) I always feel like a spy or something.

Briggs and Riley makes a nicer polycarbonate case (Torq line http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/gro...x?col=torq) due to their lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Rimowa is only 5 years I believe. If I were to buy a check in bag, I'd definitely go with a Torq, however the Rimowas are a better buy for carry on travel due to their aesthetic minimalism.

Luggage Data Sheet

I did just buy this, got a discount using my Verizon points (yes, wtf?), paid 325, and I like it a lot. Its a bit heavyweight, so you're not streamlining, but I'm down with carrying a heavier bag for the storage and protection tradeoffs. and it looks great.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Luggage Data Sheet

Nice post! I picked up a Ricardo Beverly Hills Garment bag which can hold 4 blazers and a few dress shirts...love it! The size is also a carry on which was a big plus for me!

Luggage Data Sheet

I have a Jaguar (JC Penney house brand?) carry on that has lasted 10 years. It is built better than your cheap luggage though.

The trick to making your luggage last longer is never checking it, those guys can beat the shit out of any nice piece on a single flight.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (10-27-2014 10:23 PM)rcraig33hb Wrote:  

Nice post! I picked up a Ricardo Beverly Hills Garment bag which can hold 4 blazers and a few dress shirts...love it! The size is also a carry on which was a big plus for me!

I googled this but was not sure which MODEL you mentioned. Can you link to it?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

Luggage Data Sheet

Every year Macy has a huge sale on Tumi on Black Friday and on a few occasions right before Christmas.

Best time to get TUMI in my opinion.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (10-28-2014 12:38 PM)Mentavious Wrote:  

Every year Macy has a huge sale on Tumi on Black Friday and on a few occasions right before Christmas.

Best time to get TUMI in my opinion.
You should definitely consider checking through ebags on a shopping portal of your choosing.

Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Luggage Data Sheet

After doing a great deal of research years ago, I decided to use Eagle Creek luggage, because I believe that it provides the best bang for the buck. I also like their packing cubes. I am adding some information to this old thread, because I just took advantage of Eagle Creek's "No Matter What" warranty.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/warranty

I have an Eagle Creek check-on roller bag that I purchased used on ebay for a good price. It is now probably about ten years old. After a recent trip, I noticed that two of the pull tabs on two zippers were now missing (one had been missing from a prior trip). They probably got caught on luggage conveyors and were yanked off. They appear designed to do exactly that, rather than damaging the entire zipper mechanism. Upon further inspection, I found that one of the wheels was beginning to crack.

After filling out a short form, I shipped it back to Eagle Creek. They replaced both pull tabs, replaced both wheels, and even sewed up a corner of the bag that was beginning to fray. You must pay to ship your luggage to their warehouse, but Eagle Creek will pay to ship it back to you. I was impressed not only with it offering a high-quality product at a reasonable price, but also with the warranty and the customer service. A top-notch company that stands behind its products.

Luggage Data Sheet

I don't see the point of getting stylish/costly luggage:

1) They will get ruined because flight cabin screws literally throw them in the airplane cockpit
2) You can get incredibly cheap and tough luggage in any developing country
3) I'd rather spend my money on some stylish clothes and a good suit because I'll be wearing it way more often
4) This is the rvf, and no comment is complete without a mention on its impact on game....and having flashy luggage will add zero points to your game/style

With all that being said....Good Info OP - I never actually knew he differences between different kinds of luggage until you posted this

Stick with the cheap shit gentlemen

Luggage Data Sheet

I bought a few Eagle Creek pack organizers for a recent trip. They worked great and did save space in my luggage.

I also bought a Pacsafe backpack for everyday use and as my carry on and it was the perfect size for my needs. The one I got was made to carry DSLR cameras. I used it everyday carrying my camera body, a 24-70mm and a 50mm lens along with spare batteries, a power bank, water, and a jacket. The security features on it made me feel safe while walking around the city. The straps were comfortable even after walking around all day with it on my back.

My check luggage is a hard case made by Atlantic Luggage that I bought at Winners for a really reasonable price. I've been using it for over 3 years now on multiple trips around the world and have to say it's top notch. When I was moving, I loaded it up full of books and the case was over 100 pounds, my movers didn't even want to carry it up the stairs, I grabbed it by the handle and pulled it up the whole flight of stairs without the handle or any zippers breaking multiple times.

I have considered getting a Tumi or Rimowa but so far I am happy with my setup.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (06-18-2018 12:26 PM)Crash_Bandicoot Wrote:  

I don't see the point of getting stylish/costly luggage

I think of luggage like shoes. Do you need italian calfskin mocassins? Certainly no, but they're nice.

Hell, you could use flip flops everywhere - but if you're walking all day, you might want to invest in comfortable ergonomic shoes.

High-end stuff tends to be more stylish so I can see why it would look unnecessary. You're right - it sometimes is. But if you're travelling around all the time, high-end luggage, as long as it's not just high-end because of the brand on the tag, tends to be smarter and is a valuable comfort.

Backpacking, for example. Be it camping or travelling around, a comfortable and durable bag is worth it's weight in gold. If you've ever lived out of a bag for extended periods of time, you start to value how higher-end stuff is well designed for your needs and makes it easy to separate and access different types of stuff (say, foods/gear/shoes/dirty clothes). While two bags may look the same on a shelf, when you put them on you can feel how the higher end stuff (usually) has a much more ergonomic and lightweight design - which makes carrying it much easier. Again, you could go backpacking with one of these:

[Image: KGr_Hq_N_l_MFHmev_IMEv_BS_E3gru_UQ_60_1_large.jpg]

But it will be a significantly different experience than wearing one of these:

[Image: 61tuhfzb3_CL._SL1050.jpg]

Another thing to keep in mind is zippers. Most bags have a bunch of them. If you're using your bag lightly and for short periods - no worries. I've been guilty of pushing my luck with my luggage in the past [Image: angel.gif]. Zippers are usually the first thing to break. High end stuff tends to have better zippers and sewing. I've had a bag from Ogio that had pretty much indestructible zippers - they were designed to self repair, so every time they broke or lost alignment I just had to unzip it the whole way and zip it back up, and it was like new. Nothing worse than having your zipper break before catching a flight or bus ride...

Good luggage should last a long, long time. Depending on how often you use it, it's an investment in comfort and peace of mind.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (06-18-2018 01:11 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

I also bought a Pacsafe backpack for everyday use and as my carry on and it was the perfect size for my needs.

I was just about to post about Pacsafe.

I saw this model in person two months ago: Vibe 40 anti-theft 40L carry-on backpack

[Image: 41R0MG3C0RL.jpg]

I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of the build and how well designed it was - and I do consider myself as somewhat of a backpack conoisseur, haha.

I had just bought a new everyday bag, but was very tempted to get it anyways. Maybe soon.

Luggage Data Sheet

A great tip I got from forum member Linux is to buy the stuff they sell at costco and you can return it at any time. I bought a giant roller suitcase and traveled to over 30+ countries and had 50-75 flights and beat the shit out of my luggage and then returned it last week for a full refund because the wheels were starting to become wobbley.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (06-18-2018 12:26 PM)Crash_Bandicoot Wrote:  

I don't see the point of getting stylish/costly luggage:

Stick with the cheap shit gentlemen

I am all about value. I do not care whether I pay $100 or $1,000 for something. The key is whether it provides great value for the price point.

When I was young, broke, and stupid I bought shirts at K-mart or Wal-Mart. They would fade or seams would unravel after only a few washings. I later discovered that, after double or triple markdowns at the end of the season, I could but top-of-the-line designer shirts at Macys for slightly more money -- and they would last forever. The same idea applies to most things in life. Identify great value first, then search for a deal on the item that you identify.

While I agree that you should not necessarily buy stylish/costly luggage, I would also argue that you should stay far away from cheap luggage. I think that if you buy upper mid-range luggage (e.g., Eagle Creek) on sale at a deep discount or used on ebay, then you have the best of both worlds (great quality at a great value) -- especially if the company provides an excellent warranty.

I took a trip with a friend last year. He purchased a crap piece of luggage at a thrift store. It arrived at the destination with a broken wheel. He spent the entire trip, plus the trip home, having to deal with the situation.

And just try living out of a few cheap suitcases as a full-time PT. Go ahead, I dare you.

Luggage Data Sheet

I figure when I travel if I have a checked bag that my carry on can be smaller because when I arrive at my Airbnb/hotel, I'll leave most of my stuff there and will only be carrying some items around with me in the city (in my case camera gear).

With a 40L carry on bag like that, it wouldn't look as casual using it to go around the city so I don't think it is as versatile. For shorter trips or if you don't carry a bag with you around the city then that wouldn't be a problem though. The big pro with that bag is that you can put everything you pack on your back.

For anyone wondering this is the Pacsafe bag I got and I just remembered for my carry on I used this bag and a small duffel bag.
https://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v25-anti...ra#start=1

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (06-18-2018 01:23 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Quote: (06-18-2018 01:11 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

I also bought a Pacsafe backpack for everyday use and as my carry on and it was the perfect size for my needs.

I was just about to post about Pacsafe.

I saw this model in person two months ago: Vibe 40 anti-theft 40L carry-on backpack

I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of the build and how well designed it was - and I do consider myself as somewhat of a backpack conoisseur, haha.

I had just bought a new everyday bag, but was very tempted to get it anyways. Maybe soon.

While I do not own any Pacsafe luggage, I am a big fan of Pacsafe products. I own several of their security products. Honestly, this bag is a copy of the original MEI design that has been around for over thirty years -- and that other companies have copied over the years. I own this MEI bag and it is great to use on European Airlines where wheels would otherwise place you over the skimpy European airline weight limits. At one time, it was considered the best all-around travel bag in the world for the price.

https://meipacks.myshopify.com/collectio...i-voyageur

Luggage Data Sheet

Building on what Tail Gunner said, my Atlantic check in bag is a lot of value for what it is. I remember I got it for 80 USD. Bag looks great and is very tough. I didn't even realize it was a mid range brand until I looked at this thread because I got it for such a crazy deal.

Luggage Data Sheet

Quote: (06-18-2018 01:50 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

Building on what Tail Gunner said, my Atlantic check in bag is a lot of value for what it is. I remember I got it for 80 USD. Bag looks great and is very tough. I didn't even realize it was a mid range brand until I looked at this thread because I got it for such a crazy deal.

You just spurred me to do a little research. The bag that I just had repaired at Eagle Creek retailed for $300 -- and you could buy it on sale for about $200.

In 2010, I bought a gently used one on ebay for $60, including shipping. So, I have owned it for eight years and it is not even close to wearing out (and was, in fact, just refurbished by Eagle Creek for free). That is outstanding value. First, identify value gentlemen, then look for the deal. Why buy cheap luggage, when you can buy great luggage for cheap?

Here is a stock photograph of what the bag looked like when new:

[Image: attachment.jpg39289]   

Luggage Data Sheet

I bought these years ago. The one is 8 years old, the other 5. Scratches and dents just add to the appeal.

Its not cheap, but I have never regretted the decision to spend 30% more and get the good stuff.

Also, because its metal, some airports have a special baggage section for pick up and drop off. At first I thought this might be a pain, but its been a stroke of good fortune. Now I pick up with musicians, DJ's and others who transport items that need extra protection.

[Image: gVWJdHg.jpg]