rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help Me Choose a Motorcycle

I'm going back to the states soon but not for long. I will need to get a vehicle that I can come back to and use when I'm stateside.

I owned a Suzuki Intruder casually for a few months but other than that I really don't have a lot of riding experience.

(unless you count the hours long death scooter rides I've taken while in SEA, which really seems like trial by fire training)

I would like to keep costs around 3000 USD (although I'd go as high as 6 for a good deal).

I don't really think the "cruiser" look fits me but I also am not crazy about the crotch rocket thing either.

I don't want a bike that's too powerful for me as a beginner either.

(this one seems pretty cool but I'm not sure it's me)

So something that's tough, is a great beginner bike, affordable, and cool while still fitting my style.

I found this bike in Las Vegas and it seems to have the look I like with everything else but the price seems steep considering the miles and the fact that it's around 8000 brand new.

Basically, I know jack shit about bikes but I want one and need to get up to speed on what's what asap.

Thanks for the help in advance.

As an allround bike I really liked Kawasaki Versys. Easy to drive and can do both touring and driving on less good roads. I found that it was driving quite smoothly as well.

Quote: (10-14-2014 03:33 AM)Cheetah Wrote:  

As an allround bike I really liked Kawasaki Versys. Easy to drive and can do both touring and driving on less good roads. I found that it was driving quite smoothly as well.

I'll check it out. I'm also looking at these vintage cafe racers. They're pretty rugged looking but still sporty.

I got a motorcycle recently, it's a crotch rocket (suzuki gsxr 600 '08), chicks dig it. Maybe I can help. I'm reading:

- 3-6k
- no cruiser
- no supersport
- not too powerful
- tough
- cool

but then you listed an 06 yamaha R1, which is:

- a supersport
- very powerful
- not a beginner bike

The FZ8 is the bike that ticks all your boxes. Price on the one you listed seems a bit high even considering all the mods, given its high mileage. You should be able to find a cheaper one, stock, no mods, with less miles. Also check out the Suzuki GSR 750 or the Kawasaki Z750, if we're already talking naked bikes. Beware the lack of wind protection on those. Don't know if you're planning a lot of highway riding.

Quote: (11-15-2014 08:53 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
But guys, the fight itself isn't the focus here. How the whole thing was instigated by 1 girl is the big deal.

If you want a cafe racer look at Triumph Bonnevilles and Thruxtons. A lot of guys mod them to where they look really rugged, vintage, and bad ass.

I don't much about cost in the US, but I would consider a Streetfighter/Naked Bike, from what you say about not wanting a cruiser or crotch rocket.

[Image: MV%20Agusta%20F4%20Brutale%20989R%2008.jpg]

[Image: kawasaki_z1000_2010_01.jpg]

Quote: (10-14-2014 07:18 AM)lowside Wrote:  

I got a motorcycle recently, it's a crotch rocket (suzuki gsxr 600 '08), chicks dig it. Maybe I can help. I'm reading:

- 3-6k
- no cruiser
- no supersport
- not too powerful
- tough
- cool

- a supersport
- very powerful
- not a beginner bike

The FZ8 is the bike that ticks all your boxes. Price on the one you listed seems a bit high even considering all the mods, given its high mileage. You should be able to find a cheaper one, stock, no mods, with less miles. Also check out the Suzuki GSR 750 or the Kawasaki Z750, if we're already talking naked bikes. Beware the lack of wind protection on those. Don't know if you're planning a lot of highway riding.

Yeah the R1 doesn't fit my criteria but it's hard not to notice. Just a sharp looking bike.

I looked at that versys and I have to say the look of the bike is not for me.

I'll check into these other bikes you mentioned.

I wish there was a modern bike that had the look of a cafe racer but with updated tech.

Quote: (10-14-2014 07:23 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

- 3-6k
- no cruiser
- no supersport
- not too powerful
- tough
- cool

- a supersport
- very powerful
- not a beginner bike

Yeah the R1 doesn't fit my criteria but it's hard not to notice. Just a sharp looking bike.

I wish there was a modern bike that had the look of a cafe racer but with updated tech.

Yep exactly why I got a supersport. I like how I look on it, how it rides, sound, everything. It is painfully uncomfortable at times though.

There are modern bikes with an old school look. Check the lineup of Triumph (mentioned before in this thread). Kawasaki has one model too, if I remember correctly it was the W800 or something, check it out on their website. Motoguzzi has some too, they could be out of you price range though.

The problem with all these is that they're old school in looks, but not real cafe racers....you would have to mod them. As far as i know there isn't really a brand that produces modern cafe racers. Would love to be corrected on this one.

But guys, the fight itself isn't the focus here. How the whole thing was instigated by 1 girl is the big deal.

Honda CB1100 looks old school and is not a cruiser but it's over your budget.

How about an old used CB350, 450, 650, etc. ?

If only you knew how bad things really are.

[attachment=22165]

These things ride awesome.

Pic was too big I'll find another.

Also I have an intruder 700 here that I traded for some work if you want it ship it out there and when your done with it sell it and send me the jack.

[attachment=22166]

Or buy a motoconcho and go into business

Quote: (10-14-2014 08:22 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Also I have an intruder 700 here that I traded for some work if you want it ship it out there and when your done with it sell it and send me the jack.

Or buy a motoconcho and go into business

I still can't see the pic. What is it??

edit - ok there it is. Yeah I'm liking the looks of the old school bikes but I also don't want to be dealing with oil leaks and maintenance all the time.

Fisto, this is slightly off-topic, but if your experience with bikes is limited, I highly recommend taking a quick motorcycle safety course while you're in the states. In Cali, passing the course gives you lower insurance and you can skip the driving portion of the test (if I remember correctly), but I took it just for practical purposes. They'll take someone who has never been on a bike at all to road-ready. My own experiences were severely limited and I barely knew how to operate a motorcycle when I showed up but left with a perfect score on the final test.

More importantly, I've had a few lifelong motorcycle riders who told me they took the course and learned things about handling a bike that they never figured out on their own even after decades of riding. I know some of the small, extremely counter-intuitive things I learned have saved me from crashing way more times than once.

Look into it.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (10-14-2014 09:23 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Fisto, this is slightly off-topic, but if your experience with bikes is limited, I highly recommend taking a quick motorcycle safety course while you're in the states. In Cali, passing the course gives you lower insurance and you can skip the driving portion of the test (if I remember correctly), but I took it just for practical purposes. They'll take someone who has never been on a bike at all to road-ready. My own experiences were severely limited and I barely knew how to operate a motorcycle when I showed up but left with a perfect score on the final test.

More importantly, I've had a few lifelong motorcycle riders who told me they took the course and learned things about handling a bike that they never figured out on their own even after decades of riding. I know some of the small, extremely counter-intuitive things I learned have saved me from crashing way more times than once.

Look into it.

Yeah I absolutely intend on taking the course, don't worry.

This Triumph Scrambler looks cool as hell but I can't find one that's used.

Bonneville would be my choice if you could.

Check out http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/

Also see this video
The $3,000, brand-new motorcycle - /RideApart

I think the Honda CBR500R might be a good option. Not crazy powerful but plenty of kick. Really good value when it comes to price.

Has a better seat position unlike a ninja so you don't get tired as quickly. I thought it was fun to drive.

[attachment=22167]

You like this?

The scrambler is cool, it just came out last year and the old school look is a small market, which is most likely the reason why cant find a used one.

I been riding for about 6 years. I jokingly always say I think I hold a record for owning the most bikes before ever learning to ride one. I started buying bikes back in college to learn on but all were projects and with me not being too handy never got any in safe riding condition so never did muhc more than cruise around the neighborhood. I owned a couple early 70's CB750's, a goldwind, suzuki 650 cafe cruiser, kawasaki kz550, etc.

My first real bike was an intruder like you used to own. I bought and still have a 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800. I got it for $2000 or $2300 I think, bike was 14 years old at the time but only had 1400 miles on it. I actually went to the dealership to buy a Suzuki 550 sportbike but it was sold and couldn't pass up the deal on this one.

As far as image, don't get hungup on image, your not buying a bike for the image your buyying something that fits your riding style and because you like to ride. I'm not your typical sportbike type of guy but woudln't stop me from buying a sportbike. I'm also not a 40 year old dad but ride a cruiser. Don't get hungup on the style or image of the bike you buy. I can't tell you how many guys I know who bought sportbikes for the image and either hated how uncomfortable the bike was or just didn't like riding period and sold the bikes shortly after.

I love my cruiser, its comfortable for long rides, I can carry some gear on it for longer rides if I wanna head up to starved rock or something for the day or weekend.

If you want the performance of a sporbike but not really the look or hte lean of a sportbike it seems to be everyone loves the Suzuki SV650. Read some reviews and blogs but sportbike riders and cruiser riders alike all seem to say its one of hte best bikes you can buy. Price is fantastic, great performance and a good compromise on comfort as well. Its also a more upright riding position.

If you woudln't mind going back to an intruder I personally think its one of the best bikes out there. You don't have a chain or belt so almost no maintenance there no loose belts or needing to tighten chains. Get the shaft drive oil changed one a year and your good to go. I'm a bit biased but I love my bike. My next bike will probably be a Suzuki VS650.

Quote: (10-14-2014 06:33 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

Quote: (10-14-2014 03:33 AM)Cheetah Wrote:  

I'll check it out. I'm also looking at these vintage cafe racers. They're pretty rugged looking but still sporty.

If you like the cafe racer style checkout the Triumph Scrambler, not your typical cafe racer but same kind of style, they also come wiht some road/offroad tires if you want so you can do city and country. Its a pretty cool bike, not a bad price tag if you pick one up a year old

Just realized someone above had mentioned the scrambler. They are a little pricey used for what they are but then again all triumphs are a bit on the high side. You can get some good deals used but people must like the bikes because you won't see many for sale. I was looking for one last summer and despite contiunally checking craigslist and various motorcycle trader sites in the entire chicagoland area and probably a 50 mile radius I maybe saw 6 for sale the entire summer.

Jamaicabound, I remember reading this about you before I think.

I'm really liking these Cleveland Cycle Werks bikes....both the Ace and the Heist are really cool.

DD and Mechanico also have some good suggestions.

Fisto, I second jamaicabound's suggestion of Suzuki SV650. I bought it two years ago as my first bike and it's been fun to ride. Powerful but not crazy. A downside that my instructor mentioned when I attended a safety course is that you can't maneuver it as easily as lighter bikes, I mean I was supposed to circle around these orange "hats" placed on the asphalt and couldn't do it at first, then again I was a total beginner and from what I read you already can ride since you rode scooters in SEA.

Now, the above applies if you'll mostly do shorter trips, for cross-country rides I'd go with a cruiser that'll be more comfortable.

Quote: (10-14-2014 11:21 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

I'm really liking these Cleveland Cycle Werks bikes....both the Ace and the Heist are really cool.

Fitso figured you would based on everything you needed and reading about you over the years on the forum thought it would fit your style.

My cousin has one and I love riding it, Only thing he changed is the shocks I think that's what everyone changes on it after sometime

Quote: (10-14-2014 12:13 PM)Teekay Wrote:  

Fisto, I second jamaicabound's suggestion of Suzuki SV650. I bought it two years ago as my first bike and it's been fun to ride. Powerful but not crazy. A downside that my instructor mentioned when I attended a safety course is that you can't maneuver it as easily as lighter bikes, I mean I was supposed to circle around these orange "hats" placed on the asphalt and couldn't do it at first, then again I was a total beginner and from what I read you already can ride since you rode scooters in SEA.

Now, the above applies if you'll mostly do shorter trips, for cross-country rides I'd go with a cruiser that'll be more comfortable.

Here's a tip for anyone taking the motorcycle test. I failed it twice before a guy waiting for his test gave me this tip and told me how they score the test. With majority of bikes its difficult if not impossible to actually weave through all the cones. WIth my Suzuki it has a really long/wide wheelbase so though I havn't measured it I almost think it would literally be impossible to pass with my bike.

This guy told me that if you put your foot down its an automatic fail however if you miss a cone you just get docked one point. You can miss something like 3,4, 5 points I forget exactly. Anyhow long story short the rest of the test is easy as hell so waste your points on the cones and the rest of the test is pretty easy to do perfectly.

My states DMV test is basically weave between 6 cones, do a circle around a large rectangle, come to a stop with your tire in a large square and thats about it. WHat I id was go through the first and second cone and totally skip the rest dont even try to do them. I wound up getting docked 3 or 4 points and passed the rest of the test flawlessly and got my license.

Quote: (10-14-2014 07:23 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

- 3-6k
- no cruiser
- no supersport
- not too powerful
- tough
- cool

- a supersport
- very powerful
- not a beginner bike

The R1 is not a bike to be trifled with. A small change on your wrist position may mean that you end up on the floor. Don't get an R1 if you don't have enough biking experience.