rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gone Girl

Gone Girl

Everyone's talking about Gone Girl. I saw the trailer a few months ago and thought it looked like a rehash of another movie Affleck was involved with, Gone Baby Gone. I kind of passed it off.

I saw it last night in a packed movie theater. I took a girl with me and the first place we went it was sold out. Got to the 2nd theater 45 minutes early and waited in two separate long lines to get tickets in squeeze in. It was close to a Star Wars-level showing in terms of numbers.

Without getting into spoilers the movie itself was amazing...Pretty much as good as cinema gets in my opinion. My only complaint was that it was really fucking long at 2 1/2 hours. Unlike some long films though, only one or two people left the theater the entire time to go pee or whatever. I myself had to piss for 90% of the film but just held it in because the movie was so good.

Highly recommend this movie. There's even some Red Pill observations that will be pretty obvious to you guys.

Gone Girl

David Fincher's one of the few reliable directors out there who can be trusted to make a good movie.

It's cool that Trent Reznor scored this.

Good review! Definitely on my list to check out next!

Gone Girl

I've been avoiding potential spoilers as I check out every David Fincher movie just in case he returns to Fight Club form...looking forward to this one.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Gone Girl

The slashfilm podcast loves the movie but they are tearing it apart from a very feminist/pro-woman point of view for reasons we cannot go into without spoilng the movie.

Gone Girl

I read the book some months ago. It was a fast-paced, intriguing thriller with some insights into the mind of a sociopath. Won't go into detail; anything further would spoil it. The book is known for the "cool girl" passage:

Quote:Quote:

Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain. (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)

I read that the movie differs from the book; I'm excited to see how.
I'm meeting my regular girl next weekend to go see the movie.

Gone Girl

Gone Girl is a fantastic book. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

Gone Girl

Just got back from seeing it. One of the rare times I have seen a packed theater on the edges of their seats. Great flick.

Gone Girl

Well it's settled. Watching this tonight..

Edit** god damn shitty streams filmed on a camera. looks like ill have to wait a bit.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

Gone Girl

wtf... weak third arc though.

Gone Girl

I just watched it. Excellent flick with some Red Pill moments.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Gone Girl

I saw Ben Affleck in a video of important recent directors. He was very humble and seemed like a very nice guy ( in the good sense of the word, curious and open to learning from others. It's hilarious "nice" has become an epithet) .

One thing that was fascinating to me is it was clear the 4-5 other directors there were clearly starstruck with Quentin Tarantino. He was the most extreme in his views, and you could read between his lines that he just generates massive volumes of work like a true natural genius. ( He gestured to an imaginary stack of paper 5-6 inches high when he described his groundwork writing for Inglorious Basterds).

He truly hates video, and stated that even if he shot in film once film projection ( when the movie is displayed) is gone he doesn't even want to make movies any more.

Ben Affleck strikes me as a guy who maybe wasn't that natural of a talent, but with humility, hard work, and being open to help from other talents he has nonetheless achieved greatness.

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-12-2014 11:10 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I saw Ben Affleck in a video of important recent directors.

One thing that was fascinating to me is it was clear the 4-5 other directors there were clearly starstruck with Quentin Tarantino.

^ That sounds interesting, do you have a link to that video?

Or any ones similar?

I'm always curious where different directors/actors shake out from a respect/status perspective among each other.

Gone Girl

Not to derail the thread, but some of the stuff that Tarantino comes up with, I find genuinely disturbing.
In almost every one of his movies, there's at least one scene, sometimes more, that is just sickening.
Think about it, there's the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs, the gratuitous blowing the guy's head off in the car in Pulp Fiction (which many people thought was hilarious, not me), the carving the swastika sign into peoples' heads in Inglorious Basterds, the mandingo eye gouging in Django, truly sick shit, yet QT regularly works in at least one of said scenes into pretty much all of his movies.
I don't know if he's truly a twisted fuck or if he's living out his victim mentality on film or what the deal is, but whatever, it strikes me as the product of a truly fucked up, twisted mind.
(Maybe I'll start a separate thread on this,)
Ok gentlemen, as you were, back to the topic at hand, ie. 'Gone Girl' (I plan to see it this week, will report back).

Gone Girl

This film was fucking great. I haven't been that gripped by a film for so long. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was. Sure, it was long, but I had no idea what direction it was going in and couldn't wait to see what was happening next. Highly recommend it.

Gone Girl

Thanks for the recommendation. I like Fincher's movies, particularly The Game, based on the Neil Strauss book.

Gone Girl

I went and saw it a couple days ago. I wasn't sure what to think going into the theater, but it was excellent and didn't even feel like a full two and a half hours.

It's hard to go into detail without giving everything away, so I'll just leave it at that.

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-13-2014 09:46 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

Thanks for the recommendation. I like Fincher's movies, particularly The Game, based on the Neil Strauss book.

Are you referring to the Michael Douglas movie? That is not based on the Neil Strauss's work. So far as I know, there's never been a movie based on that book.

Edit: Fincher's movie was made in '97, so maybe you're thinking of a different movie.

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-13-2014 09:57 AM)Lucky Wrote:  

Quote: (10-13-2014 09:46 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

Are you referring to the Michael Douglas movie? That is not based on the Neil Strauss's work. So far as I know, there's never been a movie based on that book.

Edit: Fincher's movie was made in '97, so maybe you're thinking of a different movie.

I know, I was fuckin' around [Image: biggrin.gif] Yea, it's with Douglas and Sean Penn. Very underrated movie, IMO.

Gone Girl

Yeah I've heard some rave reviews of this movie though like you said that its very long. I'm not a fan of long movies as date movies.

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-13-2014 10:03 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

I know, I was fuckin' around [Image: biggrin.gif] Yea, it's with Douglas and Sean Penn. Very underrated movie, IMO.

I actually looked it up to see if there was such a movie [Image: lol.gif]

Haven't seen the David Fincher movie but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Gone Girl

I want to talk about this movie with everybody....

But you absolutely can't without spoiling the entire damn thing.

So yeah - go see it [Image: smile.gif]

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-13-2014 05:15 AM)amity Wrote:  

Not to derail the thread, but some of the stuff that Tarantino comes up with, I find genuinely disturbing.
In almost every one of his movies, there's at least one scene, sometimes more, that is just sickening.
Think about it, there's the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs, the gratuitous blowing the guy's head off in the car in Pulp Fiction (which many people thought was hilarious, not me), the carving the swastika sign into peoples' heads in Inglorious Basterds, the mandingo eye gouging in Django, truly sick shit, yet QT regularly works in at least one of said scenes into pretty much all of his movies.
I don't know if he's truly a twisted fuck or if he's living out his victim mentality on film or what the deal is, but whatever, it strikes me as the product of a truly fucked up, twisted mind.
(Maybe I'll start a separate thread on this,)
Ok gentlemen, as you were, back to the topic at hand, ie. 'Gone Girl' (I plan to see it this week, will report back).

Never enjoyed Tarantino.

Whenever I see the sheer amount of fandom Tarantino generates, it makes me think of our generation's consumerist nihilism.

Is our society so materially comfortable that we can parade around a bunch of sick images and revel in their absurdity and gratuity?

At least some of the other directors - including Affleck and Fincher - say something. Their form may be postmodern, but the substance is still there.

Gone Girl

Quote: (10-13-2014 11:47 AM)Kid Strangelove Wrote:  

I want to talk about this movie with everybody....

But you absolutely can't without spoiling the entire damn thing.

So yeah - go see it [Image: smile.gif]

Maybe there should be a separate thread titled:
Gone Girl: Alert With Spoilers

for separate discussions...though I have not seen the movie yet at this point

Gone Girl

Saw it today, and maybe my expectations were too high. It was a good movie which did bring a non-feminised perspective to relationships which could be considered somewhat subversive. However as cinema, it was too long and none of the plot twists were surprising.

It's worth going to the cinema to see, epoch-defining, no.

Two of the pre-movie advertisements absolutely disgusted me. One of them promoted chocolate biscuits and consisted of a female voice rejecting human company, while sensual images of melting chocolate filled the screen: "if you want a massage, I know a good Thai massage down the street" and "if you need face time, look in the mirror". Cut to the smug, red-lipsticked female face as she bites into her hydrogenated sugar vehicle, with the final word of the ad being "...Brian" to leave us in no doubt that the person she has been taunting and rejecting is male.

Fuck these corporations which are telling women that it's better to consume garbage food alone than be loving companions and partners. I used to be a libertarian, but now I would rather a fascist state which would make this shit illegal and smash these corporations in favor of family promotion.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Gone Girl

*******POTENTAIL SPOILERS - DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED THE FILM*******

@RawGod I largely agree.
I think it had the potential to be one of the best crime thrillers of all time.
Halfway through, I was mouthing to myself "this is genius filmmaking, outstanding....".
I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation.
But... for me, the second half didn't deliver on the incredible promise of the first half of the movie (aside from the faux hipster speak nonsense in the opening twenty minutes which I could've done without).
I've also seen a lot of fawning over Rosamund Pike and her character and how beautiful and amazing she was.
Poppycock for the most part.
She's quite attractive with the long hair, a solid 6, perhaps a 6.5 at a stretch, but certainly nothing remarkable.
With the short hair, she's just a standard mid 30s woman with a slim but somewhat mannish physique with little curves, not unattractive, but nothing special either.