rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Greek Yogurt

Greek Yogurt

I have heard that this type of yogurt is great for your stomach and gives your body GOOD bacteria. An Old wives tale or true? Whatever the case may be I always keep some in my fridge and dip fruit or eat it with a spoon.

Greek Yogurt

Yeah greek yogurt is good for you and has a high protein content.

Greek Yogurt

Best I had was in Athens. This is where I go now: http://www.chobani.com/culture/chobani-soho

Greek Yogurt

Try and find some made with sheep and goats milk.

Greek Yogurt

My favorite store brand is Fage. I use it as a substitute for sour cream.

Greek Yogurt

It's a good substitute for mayo in a tuna salad. Tuna, chopped hardboiled eggs, greek yoghurt, mustard, garlic, paprika & curry powder.
Also good when making a chicken salad for wraps. Chicken, cucumber, avocado (mashed), greek yoghurt & garlic.

Greek Yogurt

Greek Yogurt is a scam!

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Greek Yogurt

I can't stand it. Hell, it tastes like bacteria.

Greek Yogurt

Love greek yoghurt. I like it more than regular yoghurt now. Lots of protein and probiotic bacteria.

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-09-2014 12:51 PM)FrenchCanadian Wrote:  

I can't stand it. Hell, it tastes like bacteria.

Tastes like sour cream to me.

Not a fan of it but I still use it from time to time. Rather use mayo to fit my macros though.

Greek Yogurt

Full fat tastes a hell of a lot better than 0%. But all costco has is 0% (at least where I live) Pisses me off.

It looks pretty expensive compared to other sources in terms of cost per calorie/cost per protein gram when I crunched the numbers, so I look at it as more of a dessert/reward after I've just ate a huge bulk meal of beef chili or whatever. Probably in my head but when I'm bulking and eat a gigantic meal, I feel like it helps digestion if I can get something that makes my mouth water to finish off, like Greek Yogurt, or Peanut Butter with some honey etc. Along with the extra calories.

Greek Yogurt

The plain yogurt goes great inside the chili as well.

Greek Yogurt

I buy this brand from HEB:

[Image: attachment.jpg22060]   

90 billion probiotics per serving.

It's sour but contrasts well with strawberries. Solo it tastes like butthole sprinkled with crushed aspirin. I see a difference when I cycle off it. Pectin in ACV helps promote the growth of bacteria in the gut, which 70% of your immune system is tied. Take both for the win win.

Recipe ideas:

http://www.whitemountainfoods.com/YogurtRecipes.html

Greek Yogurt

I suspect that the mass-produced Greek Yogurt sold in US or Japanese supermarkets is just a response to the latest diet fad and is not the same things, health-wise as eating locally produced yogurt in Greece or nearby countries. Am I wrong?

Just in case, however, I dump a small amount of supermarket Greek Yogurt into my Vitamix juice everyday. I hope it is doing something for me.

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-09-2014 06:58 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I suspect that the mass-produced Greek Yogurt sold in US or Japanese supermarkets is just a response to the latest diet fad and is not the same things, health-wise as eating locally produced yogurt in Greece or nearby countries. Am I wrong?

Some larger companies pasteurize the yogurt then add the bacteria. I don't trust them and the Dannon brand got caught bullshitting in Europe. Stick with the smaller brands. As for the research, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lie_Metchnikoff

Emech swears he invented Greek yogurt.

Greek Yogurt

according to MIT greek yogurt makes you more fertile, gives you swagger, makes your hair shinier, makes your nuts heavier, and makes you more masculine overall.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...at-yogurt/

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-09-2014 02:07 PM)poledaddy Wrote:  

Full fat tastes a hell of a lot better than 0%. But all costco has is 0% (at least where I live) Pisses me off.

It looks pretty expensive compared to other sources in terms of cost per calorie/cost per protein gram when I crunched the numbers, so I look at it as more of a dessert/reward after I've just ate a huge bulk meal of beef chili or whatever. Probably in my head but when I'm bulking and eat a gigantic meal, I feel like it helps digestion if I can get something that makes my mouth water to finish off, like Greek Yogurt, or Peanut Butter with some honey etc. Along with the extra calories.

I agree. Full fat is the bomb. I used to be able to buy full fat greek yoghurt at the store then one day it all but disappeared. You can get full fat greek yoghurt at Trader Joe's still.

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-10-2014 12:17 PM)the chef Wrote:  

according to MIT greek yogurt makes you more fertile, gives you swagger, makes your hair shinier, makes your nuts heavier, and makes you more masculine overall.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...at-yogurt/

I thought was celery? I'm just gonna dip celery in greek yogurt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then find a good stick to fight the girls off.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Greek Yogurt

Last time I was at the supermarket I went to the fridge to get a tub of yogurt. Right next to the one I usually get, there was a "new" brand of greek yogurt that was half the size and pricier. Ok, lets try, I get the small tub of pricier "natural" yogurt, go home, and as soon as I try it, it tasted as I had taken a spoonfull of sugar.

So I check the ingredients, and sure enough, it contained sugar and thickeners. So, I end up paying twice as much for the same shit, with sugar and gelatin. Natural my ass. Nah thanks.

Greek Yogurt

Get the greek yogourt that is flavoured, rather than plain. You can't go wrong with vanilla.

Yes, it has more sugar. But for 150 calories, you get around 15-18 grams of that being in protein. The only competitor for that amount is cottage cheese. And having had experience with both, I'll take vanilla greek yogourt any day.

Also experiment with adding some honey to it. Raisins as well. Great meal alternative.

Greek Yogurt

How do you make this yoghurt yourself?

I'm not interested of any pasteurized industrial shit.

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-13-2014 09:52 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

It's pretty simple. Unless you live in the Balkans though you are going to need to heat the milk up to kill off the local bacteria that are harmful for you. Then you introduce a culture of good bacteria and let those proliferate. If you find a brand of local yogurt you like you can simply use some of it to seed your own yogurt. Once you have your own culture you can change it's flavor profile by adjusting what you feed it. Personally I love the taste that develops from sheep and goats milk - it doesn't develop that distinct yogurt note which I can't stand.

To make it Greek you just strain off the whey.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/...ecipe.html

Greek Yogurt

I can't find any Greek yogurt here in Peru. Most of the yogurt they have is in cartons that you drink. Or the yogurts with all the candy in the lid.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard

Greek Yogurt

Quote: (10-13-2014 09:52 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

You heat up the milk to just under 90-95º celcius for 10 minutes to kill any competing bacteria that it might have. I found this step to be unnecessary if you are using pasteurized milk right from the carton, but it helps to be safe.

Then you wait until its cooled down to 45º celcius. This is capital, not one degree above, not one below. When its down to 45º, add your culture, which can be from a packet or just use a couple of spoonfuls of natural yogurt. Check the ingredients on the tub and make sure that theres only milk in it, not sugar, additives or thickeners.

Then keep the whole thing as close to 45º as you can for 3 to 6 hours. I use a bain-marie cooker over the stove pilot and leave it overnight.

Best tasting yogurt and you know for sure that the culture is alive.

Greek Yogurt

My mother buys a small container and makes her own. You boil a gallon of whole milk in a pot to kill off any bacteria.
Let it cool to room temperature then add a few spoons of the yogurt. It will grow and turn the whole pot into yogurt.

Team Nachos