rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you get addicted to strength training?

Wondering what most of you guys think of this. It can get quite addictive increasing the bar weight over time and measuring your progress. Do you have to force yourself to change your focus to something more nebulous like your "physique"? Or is there a more athletic/performance-oriented approach you can take towards that goal?

If only you knew how bad things really are.

No. I much prefer seeing differences in my body than Strength.

I just enjoy the physical sensation of lifting fairly heavily. As far as progress goes - both in strength and size gains - it's very rare and limited these days. In fact I've never been able to lift quite as heavily on most lifts as I did 20 years ago when I was 18 and had only been working out for three years.

Yes. I love it because it shows me how hard I have been working. To look in the mirror and see a tight body and a six pack. To look at my arms and see the veins popping out. To feel the differences when running or jumping. It feels great getting stronger.

Make sure you are careful not to overwork yourself. It is necessary to take some breaks or to have "off" weeks where you don't exercise as hard. Otherwise you will start pulling muscles like me. That sucks.

Weight training is one of the best sensations there is along with having sex with a beautiful woman, eating good food and swimming or exercising in the 'wild'.

I'm physique orientated, I like to see my improvements visually although knowing you can bench or deadlift more than the 20 betas around you at school or work is great.

For me i'm addicted to the strength gains. Physique changes will follow.

Strength is a quantitative way of measuring progress, whereas changes in the mirror are qualitative.

I think a combination of both has kept me going this long, I'm not stopping anytime soon.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

I get addicted to it then one of two things happen:

a) I get so big I can't fit in my clothes

or

b) I injure myself.

I'm naturally tall and strong naturally anyway so it's quite bizarre…trying desperately to avoid dropping below 8 rep sets this year…doing ok so far…so far...

I would say that strength training is probably more "addictive" because you are measuring your progress and always pushing to improve yourself. It is great because you can chart your progress over time and you can always set goals to work towards. Bodybuilding is probably less because it is harder to set hard goals because you are seeking an aesthetic and not a raw number (how much can you squat, bench, deadlift, OHP, etc). I suppose you could go for body fat % or bicep circumference. It is more subjective though because some may be pleased with how their bodybuilding physique looks while someone with the same physique may feel that it is not enough. Strength training is nothing but the raw numbers and you can measure yourself against other people out there.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Quote: (10-06-2014 12:09 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Wondering what most of you guys think of this. It can get quite addictive increasing the bar weight over time and measuring your progress. Do you have to force yourself to change your focus to something more nebulous like your "physique"? Or is there a more athletic/performance-oriented approach you can take towards that goal?

I'm addicted to lifting. I never miss a lifting session, meanwhile I can't say the same about cardio, even though I have an exercise bike right outside my bedroom. Switching from SS to bodybuilding hasn't changed that for me, if anything I enjoy it even more.

It's not just increasing the work weights on my big compound lifts, or watching myself pack on muscle, it's the dopamine rush I get from it. To quote something I said to Sourcecode a few hours ago:

Quote:Quote:

deadlifts make me feel more boss then anything in this world
even more then watching myself fuck doggystyle in the mirror spanking dat ass

I don't think I will ever quit lifting. I love it so much, I'm in this for life.

hahaha you guys should go on another fitness forum, i love the honest replies tho...
if you str train your own body's physique will follow and form on it own, it'll just take longer depending on the GENETICS of the person as well if they are targeting muscle groups for body building it could speed the sculpting process. As well accessorized exercises help form the body too.

I am addicted to strenght training, today I broke my squat 1 rep max, I was listening to Suicide & Redemption by Metallica and I lifted five full reps, almost puking myself. I am addicted to this feeling, almost as good as sex. Could not leave it by anything. Love working lifting heavy, hell yeah, lightweight baby!

I dunno if addicted is the right word, but I do get obsessed. I spent most of the summer recovering from an injury and it feel great to be getting back to where I was preinjury (with much better hip and ankle mobility).

Quote: (10-07-2014 12:14 PM)vancitygame Wrote:  

hahaha you guys should go on another fitness forum, i love the honest replies tho...
if you str train your own body's physique will follow and form on it own, it'll just take longer depending on the GENETICS of the person as well if they are targeting muscle groups for body building it could speed the sculpting process. As well accessorized exercises help form the body too.

Physical fitness is a huge part of the type of game preached here. Talking about it is a way of staying committed and improving.

I have an addiction to that rush I feel after working out. The worst thing is being stuck against a plateau and feeling like your strength is disappearing. Worst feeling ever.

I recently saw Pumping Iron. Arnold equated the high of lifting with an orgasm.

About an hour or so after completing a heavy training session I get a deep relaxed sense of peace. Something I don't get from any other kind of exercise.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I never miss a lifting session. No matter if I'm hungover, sick, whatever; I'm a miserable human being until I've had my workout for the day. I'm addicted to the endorphins more than anything and the feeling of lifting heavy weights.

Cardio is a different story. I haven't done cardio in years outside playing basketball 1-2 times a week.

Slight exaggeration, but Arnold has a point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZ1v96-veM

Last couple of years I was working 8am-8:30pm 6-7 days a week. Without lifting when I got home I dont think I could have done it. I didnt have a life but it equaled a lot of economic freedom and was worth the sacrifice. But I could have never done it without the good feelings from lifting 3-4 times a week after work. Then shower, sleep, repeat.

Im addicted to pumps. To quote Arnold, "it is like cumming."

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

I'm addicted to the peace and tranquility I get walking out of the gym. After putting in an honest day's lift, the rest of my life is stress free no matter what is going on.

Being sore after a hard lift might be the best feeling in the world.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

I'm an addict.

My addiction has led to injuries which have consumed over 1/10th of my life so far(I'm 19). I once lifted heavy every day, alternating upper lower for 40 days straight. Soonafter I was injured.

When I get back in the game I'm still gonna lift as hard, but I'm gonna lift smarter too.

No, I like the burn, the pump and the aching the next day. I've found I get both by lifting lighter and focusing on form and range of motion. When I just lift as much as possible, my form sucks and the joint gives out before the muscle.

No, because I have shit genetics, so progress is slow, unsteady, fettered. I've spun my gears for long.

I just wanna be sore. I use soreness as a measure to judge myself. If I'm not sore, I'm not improving myself. If I'm not improving myself, I'm wrong.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha