rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting 1 week late in college. Setting up

Due to some BS about my background, I've been denied access to my first choice of college course. I now have to get in some last minute interviews to other colleges for a place, the problem is that they've already started, so I'd be going in 1 week late.

Is this a big deal? Are most people still setting up themselves? I would've liked to start from day 1, but being denied my previous place and contracting a bad illness means I'm a week behind.

Am I overthinking this? Or are there things I should do to help me get on level with everyone else?

-B

You'll be fine. Most freshman take the entire first semester to really get a feel for being in university. Social circles won't start to solidify for another couple of weeks at the least, unless your school is on the small side. You'll still have plenty of opportunities to meet people, join groups, that sort of thing.

I'd be more worried about missing a week of class than anything else; depending on what you're studying, that could mean a lot of makeup work. And there's nothing worse than falling behind right from the start-it's only going to get more difficult as the semester goes on. I'd focus on catching up with schoolwork, and then when you get a breather after the first round of exams dedicate some time to being social.

Quote: (10-01-2014 05:17 PM)Little Dark Wrote:  

Due to some BS about my background, I've been denied access to my first choice of college course. I now have to get in some last minute interviews to other colleges for a place, the problem is that they've already started, so I'd be going in 1 week late.

Is this a big deal? Are most people still setting up themselves? I would've liked to start from day 1, but being denied my previous place and contracting a bad illness means I'm a week behind.

Am I overthinking this? Or are there things I should do to help me get on level with everyone else?

-B

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I just recently graduated, and social circles take quite a bit to set up! In fact, you might have a small advantage with this, since you have an easy, natural opener that you can use on girls ("I'm a week late, where's the best place to eat...", etc). Get comfortable quickly and just go out and have fun. Over the course of the semester it shouldn't matter whatsoever. I started an entire semester late at my college, and even though it took some adjustment, it eventually worked out just fine!