rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

High blood pressure, young, skinny, non smoker

So a few doctors visits in a row I have had blood pressure somewhere around 135/80 which doctors and nurses are like "woah, thats high" and then proceed to brush off.

I am in my 20s, non smoker, drink maybe 2 times a month, never a ton either. I exercise regularly, but not as much as I could. My diet is healthy, lots of naturalbfoods, meats veggies etc. Again not perfect, I do eat carbs, I do eat sweets, I like things like shrimp, red meat, whole fat dairy etc. But I almost never eat peocessed junk.

The only thing could be my salt intake. I cook and am not shy about salt.

Anyone have any tips besides cutting salt, exercising more, and cutting out saturated fats? I will begin doing these things and see if it makes a difference.

My brother had the same issue all his life (has a six pack, is an athlete). Switched to paleo, and the six pack became even more defined, he has a lot more energy, thinks clearer, is in a better mood, and for the first time in his life, his blood pressure numbers came up healthy. He wishes he would have known about paleo years ago.

Its funny I did paleo for a while and my blood pressure was still high...

I still eat pretty paleo. I could give it another go. Is he 100% strict or more 80/20.

For instance today I ate:
3 eggs fried in avocado oil, salt and pepper
Coffee with heavy cream and agave nectar
Almond milk strawberry smoothie, no sweetener
Coconut milk
Bread with fresh mozzarella cheese (yikes, wheat!)
Roasted chicken and mashed potatoes (w butter and cream)
Avocado, tomato, onion salad
Tilapia sauteed in coconut oil and butter, with a cream garlic sauce

So you can see, definitely paleo ish, if you allow for dairy. The horror though, I ate bread! Biggest problem really is I am not getting enough fresh fruits and veggies it seems.

Fwiw my family all has healthy blood pressure and eats far more carbs than I do. Bread, pasta, cereal are much more common in my parents house than in mine, and they are doing better than me on the blood pressure!

Energy drinks were spiking my blood pressure.

Definitely lay off the caffeine and see how that works for you.

He was not 100% for a while (he'd eat cheese), but he switched to 100% a couple of weeks ago after seeing the amazing effects.

So, no milk (only water allowed, he'll have coffee here and there, but avoids it after noon, to minimize any negative effects on sleep) no cheese, no bread, no potatoes, for starters.

I haven't seen him add salt to anything.

If you're going to try it, try it 100 percent for a month or so at least, so you can more accurately judge your body's reaction to it.

No milk (only water allowed, he'll have coffee here and there, but avoids it after noon, to minimize any negative effects on sleep) no cheese, no bread, no potatoes, for starters.

I haven't seen him add salt to anything.

If you're going to try it, try it 100 percent for a month or so at least, so you can more accurately judge your body's reaction to it.

Could be stress related. How much sleep do you get?

Sleep has always been an issue for me I can never get to bed early enough to bet ruly well rested.

I have heard paleo people say potatoes are fine. They are natural tubers and clearly, hunter gatherers dig up and eat tubers. Salt also is a necessary nutrient, though cutting it out could be wise.

I do not believe dairy is bad from an evo. perspective because clearly I ak lactose tolerant thus evolved to digest dairy.

But I could still try cutting thid out and seeing how I feel. Problem is I am skinny and if I onoy drink water, eat meat and leafy greens, I will waste away...

Quote: (09-29-2014 11:53 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

I still eat pretty paleo. I could give it another go. Is he 100% strict or more 80/20.

Coconut milk

So you can see, definitely paleo ish, if you allow for dairy. The horror though, I ate bread! Biggest problem really is I am not getting enough fresh fruits and veggies it seems.

Fwiw my family all has healthy blood pressure and eats far more carbs than I do. Bread, pasta, cereal are much more common in my parents house than in mine, and they are doing better than me on the blood pressure!

Paleo-diet has been already often de-bunked:

[Image: fallon-mimi-photo.png]

Especially if you look at the long-term paleo-pushers - they went to fat and unhealthy. The ones that keep on being fit are adding plenty of non-processed carbs like potatoes and vegetables.

My guess is that you may lack some nutrients and orthomolecular supplements would help. Another point may be trans-fats.

An easy way to start with it is to go RawTill4 which means eating raw vegan food until 1600 and then some vegan, vegetarian or even meat/fish later on. You might feel the effects pretty fast.

What's your sodium intake like? the AHA recommends less than 1500mg sodium/daily to help reduce hypertension. you may not realize it but salt is hidden in lots of foods. also, 1500mg is not much sodium at all, less than 3/4 teaspoon.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions...rticle.jsp

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Quote:Quote:

Especially if you look at the long-term paleo-pushers - they went to fat and unhealthy. The ones that keep on being fit are adding plenty of non-processed carbs like potatoes and vegetables.

My guess is that you may lack some nutrients and orthomolecular supplements would help. Another point may be trans-fats.

An easy way to start with it is to go RawTill4 which means eating raw vegan food until 1600 and then some vegan, vegetarian or even meat/fish later on. You might feel the effects pretty fast.

Zel, if you're going to poop on something, please read up on it before you do, instead of just printing nonsense.

In the interests of being polite, and also because I've got some studying to do, I'll stop there, but, Jesus man, your comment (and pic) above shows you have no idea what paleo is. Please read up on it before posting a pic and a comment like that.

Paleo is not a "heavy meat and dairy" diet, is it?

I thought no or little dairy and only some meat with lots of fruits and vegetables with legumes and nuts.

Quote: (09-30-2014 08:13 AM)Sp5 Wrote:  

Paleo is not a "heavy meat and dairy" diet, is it?

I thought no or little dairy and only some meat with lots of fruits and vegetables with legumes and nuts.

Exactly, it's no dairy.

The rest is spot on, except no legumes either.

The only drink allowed is water, to avoid drinking calories.

"The Paleo Solution," by Robb Wolf, is the book I read on the topic, and it was really great.

The book also emphasized high intensity work outs and always getting enough sleep as being essential to health.

As an aside, I always had trouble falling asleep at night (internet, smartphone, TV, socializing, etc.), and since reading that book, I prioritize sleep. It's not an exaggeration to say that it's changed my life for the better, and I highly recommend taking a look and giving it a shot.

I have nothing to do with the book, I just found it to be worth reading/recommending.

Quote: (09-30-2014 08:00 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Zel, if you're going to poop on something, please read up on it before you do, instead of just printing nonsense.

In the interests of being polite, and also because I've got some studying to do, I'll stop there, but, Jesus man, your comment (and pic) above shows you have no idea what paleo is. Please read up on it before posting a pic and a comment like that.

I researched various diet styles from all angles and my opinions are well-founded, but I do not wish to engage in a discussion here. But Paleo is known for this food-pyriamid:

[Image: paleo+pyramid.jpg]

While raw vegan food pyramids looks like this:

[Image: raw_pyramid.jpg]

And 80-10-10 even like this:

[Image: pyra1.jpg]

Either way - I have heard sometimes high variations of paleo-diets with some people consuming huge quantities of vegetables, nuts and berries only with some high quality fish and meat. To me that is a long way off from Atkins. And frankly such a diet would make great sense, especially if you don't have access to largely pesticide-free fruits and veggies (which is a problem for raw vegans and it also means that 80-10-10ers have to spend 1000-5000$ per month per person on organic food or the toxic load of pesticides would kill them - they eat huge quantities of it as well to make up the caloric value of meat).

And I also concede that meat and grains keep you alive the fastest as far as the quantity of food is concerned - you need the least amount of it in order to be relatively healthy.

Anyway - my recommendation is to research the various diets and experiment them on your own body. Also look at long-term users and how they fare. As a closing argument - high blood pressure is extremely rare among vegans and especially raw vegans (though as mentioned - such a diet is expensive).

Quote: (09-30-2014 09:28 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  

Anyway - my recommendation is to research the various diets and experiment them on your own body. Also look at long-term users and how they fare. As a closing argument - high blood pressure is extremely rare among vegans and especially raw vegans (though as mentioned - such a diet is expensive).

I agree that experimentation is key. I'm on the warrior diet and about 99% paleo and while it works for me some of my friends just stack on the fat eating at my window times.

As far as vegans go though every single man I know has no "yang", meaning that their attitudes and mental strength just seems impotent. I'm sure that there are people out there that can make it work I just haven't met any yet. It's probably fine for women.

Potassium can help lower your blood pressure too apparently.

Quote: (09-30-2014 06:08 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  

Quote: (09-29-2014 11:53 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Coconut milk

Terrible photo comparison of looks not to mention the apples to oranges comparison.

Here's another picture of "Mimi"

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

No woman at 70 is going to look good. The wall spares no one.

That BP doesn't seem "high", but for a healthy male in his 20s I guess it could be a sign.

Some other things to consider:

How do they check your BP? Manually or with an electronic machine? I've used electronic machines that I can probably swing 15-20pts higher on the systolic just with different arm positions. I've yet to see a wrist version that is accurate, but the ones that I have used you need to hold your wrist against your chest.

Are you nervous when you into the doctor's office? Nervousness raises BP. If you start worrying that your BP is gonna be high, it is gonna be high. Try and relax before going into the office or asking to wait a few minutes before you get your BP checked when you go into the back office.

Are you stressed out the rest of the day?

No stimulants prior to going in.

Does hypertension run in your family?

Make sure you are hydrated.

No idea what your workouts are like, but more exercise is not necessarily better. Try walking more. It doesn't have to be an intense walk. Not everything needs to be high intensity. I've recently started biking and that dropped my resting HR and BP from really good to even better.

Everyone is different, but my experience with it was that mine went down very gradually over a 2 1/2 year period (so far), but this is making sure you have no HFCS, fries, fast food, etc. I also just flat out ate a lot less too, it was mainly a diet that happened to lower my blood pressure after I went from 230 to 175.

I never do heavy cardio either, mainly just because of laziness but I lift and do pushups.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (09-30-2014 12:42 PM)Doctor Wrote:  

Are you stressed out the rest of the day?

No stimulants prior to going in.

Does hypertension run in your family?

Make sure you are hydrated.

I have had the high BP many times throughout the years, and usually just forget about it cause doctors never seem concerned. Every time I've had a cold or a sinus infection or whatever, they do my blood pressure, and it almost always gets a surprised reaction from the nurse and then an assurance that it's fine and nothing to worry about.

I have usually just forgotten about it after, thinking "hm must be a mistake" but this has been going on for years.

I drink a typical amount of coffee. My family does have a history of heart disease, but it usually went along with bad eating, obesity and smoking. My parents, who are generally healthy, don't smoke or drink heavily and exercise, have fine blood pressure.

I have had times of high stress in my life, times of low stress, it seems that there's no correlation...

Hydration, I dunno maybe...

I exercise but I am still skinny, I lift weights but have a hard time putting on mass.

I used to eat more paleo but was so thin that I decided to add back in dairy and carbs to try to gain some weight.

^^^^

It doesn't have anything to do with any white coat syndrome?

Quote: (09-30-2014 04:59 PM)Cheetah Wrote:  

^^^^

It doesn't have anything to do with any white coat syndrome?

I was going to say that. Mine is to the moon at the doctors but normal at my house after a drink.

Sonsowey buy your own machine.

Cheetah, el mech, I dont think so

I have had similar results at pharmacies that have the machine, and with medical professionals in my family who had their own bp monitors and did it at home.

Quote: (09-30-2014 07:20 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Cheetah, el mech, I dont think so

I have had similar results at pharmacies that have the machine, and with medical professionals in my family who had their own bp monitors and did it at home.

I assume that you don't think of feminists or anything else that might make you upset while having those BP tests? [Image: huh.gif]

Exercising more, eating better etc is probably not so bad for your health notwithstanding any bp reading. The doctors say that you shouldn't worry about your bp, it's not like it's extremely higher than normal. You worrying about your slightly higher bp is probably doing more harm to your health than the slighly higher bp itself.
Just a guess though..

Listen we diagnosed your condition properly on the internet. What more can you ask for? We said.. Buy a machine and drink. Then test to see if you have what we told you.

Are you a big guy?
I had a problem for years with high blood pressure that was due entirely to the doctor's office using a cuff that was too small.