rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting educated cheaply and quickly with Comptia.

Hi there guys

I've been working the last few weeks after I got a forklift license. It took me about 2 days to get it and its sort of fun... pays a bit better than minimum wage. Anyway my question for those of you tech guys is this. I've been looking at kijiji in Toronto quite a bit just for quick certifications I can get. I have a little previous background in computer but I haven't really got a way to show it so I was thinking of getting these:

Comptia: A+, N+, Linux,
CCNA
MCSE

Now for those industry guys who are going to say these are worthless or what have you, that might be the case in your country or at your level but I need something to prove I'm not mentally retarded. Quite a few entry level tech jobs require these... anyway, I was wondering if its possible to be able to learn all of the material just by studying on sites like Infinite Skills and Professor Messor. I looked at Kijiji and the courses there for the A+ and N+ are going for nearly $1000 for a week long class. Do you think it's worth it? I don't mind paying as long as the teacher isn't just going to read off lecture notes (like the security course I just took $250)

In Canada certifications/designations and licensing seem to mean the difference between loads of jobs and none, as I recently acquired the Security license as-well and have been inundated with shitty minimum wage offers. [Image: biggrin.gif]

I got the TESOL about 10 years ago for $1500 and its taken me all over the world.... so I figure an A+ can at least pull me out of the factory. Going to a college isn't really a possibility, my grades were so low in high school [expelled twice], there's pretty much no other way except to use private colleges.

Check to see if there are test centres such as Pearson Vue near you. You can self study, then just pay to sit the exam. Go with LPIC-1 rather than Linux+. I think it's now MCITP rather than MCSE too.

They're not worthless, every entry-level job in my area that pays $15 an hour or more for a tech requires at least A+

A cheap way to land decent money is A+, Net+ and possibly Server+

MCSE and MCSA are expensive to get, even if you can get the training materials for free the tests are $125 a pop and you gotta pass about 10 tests I think for MCSE. Plus add in that you'll likely fail 2-3 and have to retake (no refunds for fail).

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Cool, much appreciated advice. Any further suggestions?

A+, Net+, and Server+

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classes-lessons/c...nFlag=true

http://www.netpluscollege.com/ptcourse/2...014%29.pdf

What do you think? Worth the money? I'm not opposed to spending a couple thousand to get the wife and I a bit of education. Both of us can program, I know VHDL, Javascript, Python, Delphi, C++ and a bit of Assembly, she does VB. Not a huge fan of Java, too wordy.

I thought the two of us could put together a simple game with the Cocos2D library, I have all the sprites done from several years ago... just as something to quickly showoff during a job interview. Is there a certification for Autodesk or Photoshop?

Quote: (09-18-2014 02:04 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  

I got the TESOL about 10 years ago for $1500 and its taken me all over the world.... so I figure an A+ can at least pull me out of the factory. Going to a college isn't really a possibility, my grades were so low in high school [expelled twice], there's pretty much no other way except to use private colleges.

Is there no way to apply as a 'mature student'? There are generally different rules for admission of older students with work experience. Admission guidelines can also be overruled if you speak nicely to the correct people (and you're suited up).

Quote: (09-18-2014 03:23 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  

Cool, much appreciated advice. Any further suggestions?

A+, Net+, and Server+

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classes-lessons/c...nFlag=true

http://www.netpluscollege.com/ptcourse/2...014%29.pdf

What do you think? Worth the money? I'm not opposed to spending a couple thousand to get the wife and I a bit of education. Both of us can program, I know VHDL, Javascript, Python, Delphi, C++ and a bit of Assembly, she does VB. Not a huge fan of Java, too wordy.

I thought the two of us could put together a simple game with the Cocos2D library, I have all the sprites done from several years ago... just as something to quickly showoff during a job interview. Is there a certification for Autodesk or Photoshop?

Depends on how much you already know.

Pick whichever course you have the most knowledge in already and find out what book they use, then buy it and study on your own.

Take a few practice tests. If you feel comfortable go take the real exam.

If you don't feel comfortable with the material, then take the course. Repeat for each course.

I've never found any certification I had to be worthwhile.

I think it is easier to network your way into a entry level position. Then get the required certs. They usually give you 3 to 6 months.

That being said, I would get these for entry level certs:
Comptia: A+, Network+, Security+

From here I would move into getting Microsoft certs.
MTA: 98-365 Server Fundamentals

Having these 4 certs could land you an entry level position in Desktop Support or Server support.

If you want to make a career out of being a Systems Administrator I would add:

Server:
MSCA then go for MSCE

Networking:
Cisco's CCNA then go for CCNP

Storage:
Comptia Storage+ then go for SNIA

I was A+ Certified in 1998. It was worthless. This was in 1998, when there was supposedly a boom.