rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Career Path? - Stuck In A Conundrum. Need some wisdom.

Hey everyone, looking for older guys & wisdom here.

I'm looking for a field to go into until I can get my own business off the ground. My goal is to make 100-200k off a web based business and then I'm off to do my own thing (I have my plans hehe. As well I have friends who are getting deep into IM. From here I plan on going after more lucrative things). The freedom to me is better than the money. I really have two fields I'm looking into however and could use some wisdom here. I have never really listened to those older than me but I'm starting to realize how valuable it is now (I have read so many books in the past few months it really is amazing. Learned more in 3 months than I have my entire life).

Finance people seem very interested (Think IB and the like) in me currently. I have a 3.7 in Petro Engineering and I'm analytically very smart. I also have the social skills and I'm very aggressive with what I do. I can go into banking/finance and probably bank hard here. The downside here is less time. The first 3 years will be spent as a bitch analyst, however I will have ample money. I do know people go into banking almost always have an exit strategy and many do not like it. However oddly I enjoy numbers. It seems like a good and bad idea at the same time. Though it feels like once I head down this direction there's no turning back.

The second option is Oil and Gas sales. Ideally work 2-3 years as an engineer and then move into engineering sales at 26-27. This would give me more time to do my own thing and the killer sales skills. I would most likely be ruthless and try to get to that sweet 200-300k range. Additionally I can sell things to industry and bank hard $$$$. Additionally I can develop my skills further here and it seems like a better place to launch a company from. The industry is known to have a good work life balance as well as travel. Or I might end up in a VP spot and make 250k/yr and hide in. I don't really know. One thing that really attracts me is the freedom that comes with selling. Once I develop relationships I can work on my own shit and read a lot in my spare time. Additionally I can sell in other B2B industries. There's a lot of flexibility and I won't be doomed to finance. It seems like a lot of fun, but anyone who has info here would be great. Worst case here is golden handcuffs.

I want to choose a path because at this point looking at so many options and really want to focus my efforts while I'm in college. But Ideally --> Career until I can get 100-200k from a business thats semi passive and then move to more lucrative things.

I'm extremely hardworking and persistent like a mother fucker. Some wisdom would be ideal however.

My time before this was spent learning game and partying thinking making money is easy. NOPE. Luckily I was at a top school studying engineering. Gotta get my shit together lol. Not going to go out for a while.

I have good social skills and INSANE analytical skills. A deadly combo. However I don't know where to go. I want to make money and at least slightly enjoy what I do. Finance it seems like would trap me (but it pays very well) while sales seems to have more freedom and more options.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated [Image: smile.gif].

ABN...Always Be Networking. That's where the money comes from

It sounds like you have already decided on the oil and gas sales. You will get to work on your game while doing that. Great salesmen often are great at gaming the hottest women.

Do what you want though.

I've known people from both paths. The engineers in the field had way more fun than the bankers. IB only makes sense if you want a finance job in the future.

Long-term the IB path is more money, but quality of life will be significantly lower. Who fucking wants money at the expense of happiness?

Consultancies would also be interested in your resume. Money is probably comparable to oil & gas but quality of life is better and the places you travel to won't suck as much as being in some field in the middle of Durkadurkastan.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Your O&G sales idea sounds great. I hope you have great success with that.
I'm kind of jeleous that a career path like that isn't available to me, I'd love to have a job where your salary and future salary potential is directly proportional to how hard you work, and where those kinds of figures are available to 'the best'. Go for it.

That's the idea. I'm going to go the engineering route. I think I've made up my mind. Freedom + happiness. Plus I have heard sales guys are the best with the hot girls, that is true.

Thanks guys. I have to find an internship for this summer.

Well I talked to the finance club. I have to really decide this weekend. Not really worried but it feels weird.

Any more wisdom would also be appreciated.