rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cheapest place to live in Central or South America?

Hey Guys,
Sweet forum, happy I found it. Anyways, I live in San Francisco right now, and I was looking to cut out this summer for 3 or 4 months or so until I start grad school in the Fall. I was looking to save some of the money I had by moving south for the summer and having a good time.

Now what I require is

1. A solid reliable internet connection, as I am taking 7 units online in the summer, so I need to be able to get my assignments done.

2. Somewhere that I can stretch my dollar. I should have about $3,000 total for the summer. So that is for about 100 days. I know I could do this in Thailand, as I lived there for a while and would TOTALLY go back, but I feel like I should see more of the world than to just go back and slay tons of thai and toursit pussy for the summer in Thailand [Image: tongue.gif].

3. Awesome stuff to do. Picking up on hotties is fun, but I'm more into just doing fun stuff for myself right now. I was originally thinking that I would go to Nicaragua, or El Salvador and just hunker down in some coastal town and do my school work and surf in my spare time. I'm open to suggestions if you have a better idea, or can support if this idea is a good one. The best would be somewhere dirt cheap, tons of hotties, solid internet connection with a place that I can surf, or do some other fun outdoor hobby.

If you have any ideas or advice, please feel free to share and thanks in advance.

Hmmm....El Salvador is pretty well known for surfing. So generally that would be a good choice. But I was in Playa El Tunco last year and there was no internet access because someone had stolen a kilometer of cable. And here's the thing...it was out for over 9 weeks!!! I have no idea why it was taking them so long to get the cable back in. Obviously, those sorts of things are a bit random and you may be fine if you go there. On the other hand, who knows??? Just something to be aware of...

Insider info: If you go to El Salvador, try the Sea turtle eggs that they sell by the beach areas. Eat about 3. But make damn sure that your sleeping next to a lady friend that night.

Hmmm, I'll have to give those turtle eggs a shot.

And my buddy who has lived in Costa Rica was warning about random stuff like that. He was saying the power will just go off and that kinda crap. I figure that as long as I have somewhere somewhat reliable for internet, that would be great. I also figure if I need to I can high-tail it to a city and find somewhere with internet access.

Bolivia and Paraguay and very cheap to live in.

"Insider info: If you go to El Salvador, try the Sea turtle eggs that they sell by the beach areas. Eat about 3. But make damn sure that your sleeping next to a lady friend that night."

Aren't those turtles in danger of extinction? If so I don't think you should eat their eggs man.

I know you asked about Central or S. America, but have you considered the Philippines? It has everything you're requiring, plus very cheap and hordes of sexy little thing that would love to warm your bed in no time...

Bolivia and Peru are pretty cheap but think you'll struggle to last anywhere for 3 or 4 months on just $3000. Or I would at least, maybe you're super frugal.

Yeah, I know how to live super cheap. In Bali a few years back I did $20 a day with no real trouble at all.
$5 for hotel room (with jaffel breakfast)
$2 surfboard rental
$1.50 for noodle soup for lunch
$2 for hooka
$3 for dinner
$3 for beer
$3 for 2 hr internet

And that was really it. I didn't really struggle to do it, but I also guess everything was just cheap as fuck there too.

wow, I need to check out Bali.

When I was in Costa Rica one day it rained and the internet and phones went out, and I got the impression that was pretty normal.

If you plan to live cheaply and not party much or do any activities etc then you can probably live off that budget in Bolivia and Peru.

Bali is way more expensive than that now