rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

National Geographic wants to bring back non-misogynistic Home Ec

This is a recent article in National Geographic which involves 3 spinsters (?) discussing what is the best way to get people cooking again. Of course, instead of stating the obvious (that Western women are about as useful in the kitchen as gardening tools and need to start cooking for their families) the 3 hags hamster like never before.

Article:
http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2...e-to-cook/

Some of the content:

Quote:Quote:

Charlotte: I’m a huge proponent of bringing back Home Ec. I think Home Ec should be gender-neutral and involve all the stuff that you have to do in your house

Maryn: I’m totally with both of you that Home Ec needs to come back, in a non-stigmatizing way. So it’s not the pretty girls making cookies for the football heroes, which is what I experienced in high school

I kind of envision that for cooking: Ask retired people—of whom there will be a lot fairly soon, unless we’re all so poor that we can never retire—to teach younger people how to cook. A grandmother corps, I guess, only it doesn’t have to be women.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Author:

[Image: 825d6824-753e-45a0-be71-98d1e704a119_zpsbc5bef3e.jpg]

The best cooks are men. If you go to Mars the best cooks will be men.

Team Nachos

Holy shit that broad is ugly as sin.

From what I gather here, schools teaching girls to how to properly feed their offspring is a bigger sin than teaching them how to kill said offspring in utero.

Better to have all the girls prepped to become little worker bees for the man. Marry them to the corporation, not individual men.

These women think they're liberated, but they're so blinded by ideology that they can't see they're whores being used by corporate America, which wants to grow the labor pool so they can shrink wages.

Whoever came up with the idea of selling wage slavery and kid warehousing to women as "empowerment" is the true genius of the 20th century.

Seriously how hard is it to learn how to cook? I taught myself relatively quickly once I got my own place. If I need any advice on how to cook something specific youtube and America's Test Kitchen have got it covered.

So many girls have no idea how to cook it's like they just take ingredients and waste them.

I had a girl tell me she bakes with apple sauce instead of butter and that it's just as good, and you couldn't tell the difference.

If you can't tell the difference between butter and apple sauce in a baked good, you may as well just save money on food and eat dog food your whole life. I swear, it tastes like steak!

Your criticism of them is baseless and incoherent.

The average person in Western society spends several years living without parents or a spouse. And if they want any semblance of control over their diet, they simply *must* prepare their own food. Man or woman. It's not difficult.

Having lived the first year on my own at the age of 22. You just do it. I'm a bachleor so I cook the same thing until I get tired of it. I've mastered close to a dozen dishes in a year. It's not hard. Trial and error. Women should be able to cook as much as a man should able to. From my limited experience I've found women with feminine traditional mothers tend to pass on those traits. Current girls I'm seeing with feminine mothers aka homemakers etc know how to cook really well.

I don't see anything objectionable in the article. They're absolutely right. Many people in my generation are pretty damn helpless in the kitchen or around the house. The generation growing up right now will be even worse, I'm sure. Modern cookbooks even assume the people using them are clueless; the few I have are dumbed down to the point of being half useless to me, because I don't use canned products in my meals. And if I want to make pizza, I don't want to be told to thaw out the dough I bought at the store, I want a fucking dough recipe!

I had home economics in middle school around 15 years ago. It was a useful class. I don't remember specifically what we did except I learned to sew, and we had cooking projects at home. There was lots of other stuff. It seemed fairly gender neutral to me. In my school, both boys and girls took basic shop and home economics classes. Shop was another very handy class, and as with home ec I still use those skills today (although I've built on the basics considerably).

I don't agree with everything they want to do in specifics, but in general? I think helping young people become more self reliant and useful is an excellent way to spend time.

However, the real reason so many kids are fairly useless around the house is their parents are failing them in myriad ways, which they only hint at. Like specifically not teaching your daughters to cook so they don't become housewives... way to go, dipshit. What happens when they're not rich enough to afford a live-in cook and their kids need to eat? Better hit up McDonalds, I guess.

Quote: Maryn: I’m totally with both of you that Home Ec needs to come back, in a non-stigmatizing way. So it’s not the pretty girls making cookies for the football heroes, which is what I experienced in high school

What century was this woman born in? Home ec was mandatory for both genders when I was in high school (2005 grad).
We baked the same shit, took the same tests, and wasted an equal amount of time not taking it seriously.

Anthony Bourdain mentioned the same thing in his second memoir, Medium Raw. He lamented that the rush to kill home ec for girls because it's unfair that women should have to cook led to two things; the demise of shop class for boys (because we can't have boys learning by themselves) and it led to a generation that can't cook anything more complicated than pop tarts. If home ec had been made to include boys rather than eliminated, we'd probably be in a mug better position in terms of health too (home Cooke meals with fewer processed foods).

"Nothing comes easier than madness in the world today
Mass paranoia is a mode not a malady"
Bad Religion - The Defense

home ec was mandatory for both genders when i took it, which was over 20 yrs ago.

indeed sounded girly but really was entirely gender neutral. learned to cook some basic stuff, do basic laundry and do some basic budgeting. everyone who has ever lived on their own uses those skills. they are attributing gender script where none existed.

Quote: (08-24-2014 09:09 PM)Maphew Wrote:  

Holy shit that broad is ugly as sin.

I'd do her.

Maryn: I’m totally with both of you that Home Ec needs to come back, in a non-stigmatizing way. So it’s not the pretty girls making cookies for the football heroes, which is what I experienced in high school

Yeah, now the pretty girls unashamedly suck the football players off. You've come a long way, baby :/

Quote: (08-24-2014 09:34 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

So many girls have no idea how to cook it's like they just take ingredients and waste them.

I had a girl tell me she bakes with apple sauce instead of butter and that it's just as good, and you couldn't tell the difference.

If you can't tell the difference between butter and apple sauce in a baked good, you may as well just save money on food and eat dog food your whole life. I swear, it tastes like steak!

What she is saying is, she uses applesauce to add moisture and to bind the flour and other ingredients together. Both do the job fine but one has no fat and far fewer calories. It's not about taste. When you eat every baked good, do you taste butter? Cranberry muffin? Key Lime pie?

I like to cook.

Quote: (09-08-2014 03:11 PM)DannyAlberta Wrote:  

home ec was mandatory for both genders when i took it, which was over 20 yrs ago.

indeed sounded girly but really was entirely gender neutral. learned to cook some basic stuff, do basic laundry and do some basic budgeting. everyone who has ever lived on their own uses those skills. they are attributing gender script where none existed.

Was about to post the same thing. I sewed a fucking bag together and learned how to cook basic dishes right next to the girls from class. Then we all had gender-neutral woodshop together the next semester.

I'll cook if she doesn't want to. I don't mind.
But she will wash the dishes and clean up.