rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How knowledgeable are the average gym trainers?

Are the trainers that work at your gym (or your personal trainers) actually knowledgeable in building strength, hypertrophy, endurance training, etc? Do they know the theory behind exercising?

Do you trust them to design your workouts or do you design them yourselves?

Do you ask them for help and advice or do you usually recur to the web?

not only no but HELL NO.

I literally have to turn away because I sometimes start laughing from the useless shit they do.

It's said to see people wasting money on those services.

90% of trainers don't know shit.

You can't generalize.

Like everyone in different jobs, some know their shit & most don't. You have to see the results they've given other people.

Beware though that a trainer who himself is jacked doesn't necessarily mean he can get his clients ripped & jacked. Many like this are just not good "teachers"

I used to go to a university gym. In this case, the workers there have either completed a program involving sports, fitness, nutrition, rehab, etc, or are currently enrolled in such programs. So they are generally young, but are very knowledgeable and more importantly, can provide personal anecdotes to some training questions you may have. This is not to say that every person working there is competent in teaching/demonstrating/creating a workout plan for you. Knowing something vs. teaching something are two completely different acts. Though at the uni gym I do have a question for them, I'm much more likely to receive a more informed response than, say, the trainers at my 24-hr gym now, who are just there to man the service desk, change the towels and sell training packages.

So really, it depends on where you work out.

For a commercial trainer/gym it makes sense to keep you confused and only moderately successful. So that you would come back to him.

Most trainer thrive on people being too lazy or insecure to do thing on their own. Unless you are an elite athlete who is competing you don't need a trainer.

The gym I where I work out has been owned by the same guy since he opened it in 1962. The man KNOWS his shit. He is an old-school trainer. The two guys he has there training people also know their shit. This gym is the exception to the rule. Almost every other gym I have been to has trainers that are lazy and don't know shit from shinola. Just my $.02.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

"Knowledge without mileage is bullshit" -- Henry Rollins

"Fine....you go ahead and run down the hill and fuck one of those cows. But me, I'm going to walk down and fuck 'em all" -- Wise Old Bull

In a field as complicated and unsettled as human biology, what does it mean "to know your shit"?

WIA

As with most things in life it depends on the individual.

Most people won't know how to judge a trainer until they study and put in years in the gym/fitness world themselves.

Unless they're a trainer at Planet Fitness...

Off the top of my head...
What do they look like? Is their musculature balanced or do they just have show muscle? What did they look like 5 years ago? Are they naturally gifted or did they put in a ton of work? What did they look like 6-12 months ago? Have they improved? How is their mobility? What is their injury history? How is their clients' injury history? Do they compete in something? Do they compete locally, regionally, or nationally? How do they perform? How is their technique? How are they at critiquing the technique of others? How good are they at tweaking the little things? Who do they train with? Who have they trained with in the past? Who have they learned from? What seminars have they attended? Who else do they train? Do they train people who compete? How successful are those trainees? How many people have they trained? What is their diet like? Do they follow fad diets? What supplements do they use? Are they trying to get you to buy supplements from them? Are they telling you that you NEED this supplement? What model(s) do they use for programming for themselves? For clients? Are they prone to using fad training programs? How well are they able to adapt to different levels of trainees? Do they use a lot of catchphrase words? If they use big words do they really know what those words mean?

Yeah, I left out certifications and/or education. I know plenty of trainers with certs that are useless. I know people who have no certs that a phenomenal at working with others.

Just start talking to someone and keep asking "Why?" to see how deep they can go with their knowledge. This is advice for anytime you want to see how much someone knows.

Granted, I am far from being a beginner, but in terms of everyday trainers at regular gyms I'd have a hard time running into someone that was able to pass all this criteria. Not saying they aren't out there, just difficult to find. It also depends on the gym you go to. You can get phenomenal coaching online and most of those guys also work in gyms too, but more often than not they are their own facilities or more specific gyms.

I'd only use a trainer as a beginner for getting proper form. When I broke into the gym, it was really useful as he helped me get my form all set. Once I learned that I was off to the races on my own.

But most of the people I see with trainers are old and unsure of where to start. They're all nice people, but it's always the same people they're helping.

My problem was I wasn't asking the right questions to a trainer. Should have found a guy who was a bean pole like me.

Here in the UK one can be qualified as a personal trainer and begin work in a commercial gym by doing a one week course.

Says it all.

My dad was injured while working with a trainer. He used to be real buff (said he could curl 300 lbs), and is still stronger than me even though he's over 60 years old. So, he is not a lifting newb.

He was doing some exercise that was new to him, and the trainer wasn't paying enough attention to his form and didn't properly explain the purpose/function/focus muscle groups of the exercise. It put him out for months, and he couldn't golf and cycle. So, point in hand they can be more harm than good and can definitely be incompetent to the point of dangerous.

Unless they have a degree in kinesiology and are or are aspiring physical therapists doing personal training on the side, I wouldn't put complete faith in a personal trainer.

The good ones have generally worked with athletes to accomplish specific goals and can provide references. Everyone else is suspect.

Quote: (08-05-2014 01:47 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Here in the UK one can be qualified as a personal trainer and begin work in a commercial gym by doing a one week course.

Says it all.

Meanwhile if you have real qualifications such as being UK Strength and Conditioning Association certified, or have an MSc in Sport and Exercise Science, then you're not qualified to work in gyms as a trainer because you're not REPS approved. I imagine it's all so that private training providers can make money with their shitty REPS courses.

Quote: (08-06-2014 04:20 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Says it all.

Meanwhile if you have real qualifications such as being UK Strength and Conditioning Association certified, or have an MSc in Sport and Exercise Science, then you're not qualified to work in gyms as a trainer because you're not REPS approved. I imagine it's all so that private training providers can make money with their shitty REPS courses.

It's a scam designed by the training companies and the insurance companies.

A very, very successful scam.

Quote: (08-06-2014 04:40 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Quote: (08-06-2014 04:20 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Says it all.

It's a scam designed by the training companies and the insurance companies.

A very, very successful scam.

Fucking oath it's a scam.

I remember when I was doing training I had over 10 years experience in boxing and muay thai and this counted for nothing, while some clown who did a 2 day course got accredited for "punch fit" or "boxercise" or some other faux-combat gimmicky shit.

Quote: (08-05-2014 03:48 AM)Albertron Wrote:  

I used to go to a university gym. In this case, the workers there have either completed a program involving sports, fitness, nutrition, rehab, etc, or are currently enrolled in such programs. So they are generally young, but are very knowledgeable and more importantly, can provide personal anecdotes to some training questions you may have. This is not to say that every person working there is competent in teaching/demonstrating/creating a workout plan for you. Knowing something vs. teaching something are two completely different acts. Though at the uni gym I do have a question for them, I'm much more likely to receive a more informed response than, say, the trainers at my 24-hr gym now, who are just there to man the service desk, change the towels and sell training packages.

So really, it depends on where you work out.

I go to a university gym too. The personal trainers are youngish (mid 20's) but don't know shit. I'm bigger than almost all of them too, and I'm merely "toned". A couple are kinda chubby too.

I am bigger than most trainers here coz I am on roids. They look like shit since they are not on roids.

Quote: (08-06-2014 07:21 AM)roid Wrote:  

I am bigger than most trainers here coz I am on roids. They look like shit since they are not on roids.

[Image: troll.gif]

Edit: now I remember this guy, he trolled hard in the Bahasa Indonesia thread (8/99 total posts) last year, recommending a piece of shit but more widely available dictionary over the actually useful one. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26575-...#pid507133
Changed emoticon to reflect how I really feel.

I had a personal trainer for 8 months or something like that back in the states.

I felt like his ideas were a lot different than mine, and sometimes I had to push back when he nudged my training in a certain direction. So you want someone who is flexible, open-minded, and who doesn't force their own ideas on you too much (either that or find someone with similar beliefs regarding fitness).

The real value in having a private trainer was just having someone there pushing you and keeping you motivated. And obligating you to show up.

I got good results, but I guess the above is nothing you couldn't find in a workout partner.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (08-06-2014 10:21 AM)Rutting Elephant Wrote:  

Quote: (08-06-2014 07:21 AM)roid Wrote:  

[Image: troll.gif]

Edit: now I remember this guy, he trolled hard in the Bahasa Indonesia thread (8/99 total posts) last year, recommending a piece of shit but more widely available dictionary over the actually useful one. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26575-...#pid507133
Changed emoticon to reflect how I really feel.

I am a native Indonesian speaker. You are the one that is trolling, man.

Quote: (08-06-2014 10:33 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I had a personal trainer for 8 months or something like that back in the states.

I felt like his ideas were a lot different than mine, and sometimes I had to push back when he nudged my training in a certain direction. So you want someone who is flexible, open-minded, and who doesn't force their own ideas on you too much (either that or find someone with similar beliefs regarding fitness).

The real value in having a private trainer was just having someone there pushing you and keeping you motivated. And obligating you to show up.

I got good results, but I guess the above is nothing you couldn't find in a workout partner.

I agree with you 100% on this, BB.

I've never used a trainer myself and don't see it happening. But at the same time, I recognize that what works for me might not work for someone else. Maybe some guys would benefit from having a "coach" to push them, suggest routines, etc.

Like anything else, it should be seen as part of the big picture. Is there value there? Is the cost reasonable? These are the questions I'd ask if I were thinking about it.

But all in all, my guess that most people do not really need a trainer.

All the trainers at my local gym are obsessed with those battle ropes and other Cross Fit type stuff. I've rarely seen any of the trainers working on The Big 3 with their clients.

Quote: (08-06-2014 11:44 AM)cmrocks Wrote:  

All the trainers at my local gym are obsessed with those battle ropes and other Cross Fit type stuff. I've rarely seen any of the trainers working on The Big 3 with their clients.

Had to google battle rope. I still don't get it.
But yeah, the gym I go to is similar or worse: heavy deadlift prohibited, no squat rack. The most hardcore trainer I've seen was spotting a guy doing dumbbell press.
The only cool thing I can't get out of my home power rack set up is the cable cross, and half the time trainers and girls are hanging on the central pullup bar showing off their crunch ability, as if that is the primary and unique function of the machine.