rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tennis Elbow and Golfer's Elbow

I recently had a case of Golfer's Elbow. I actually don't play Golf. It was caused by overuse from lifting. For treatment I didn't see a doctor but consulted a trainer that I trust. The pain is on the inside of the elbow with Golfer's Elbow and the outside of the elbow with tennis Elbow.

I took two weeks off from the gym as I wanted to avoid it becoming chronic. I iced my elbow for 20 minutes, 3 times a day for. I experienced the pain when doing curls, pull-ups and lat pull-downs. After two weeks off from the gym, I worked around biceps and back, focusing on the other muscles groups for about one month. After one month I slowly incorporated biceps and back into my work-out regimen with lighter weight, especially for biceps. It took about 6 weeks of this and I am back to my normal routine. I still feel slight tenderness so I continue to ice and make sure I am not over-extending myself when working those areas.

About ten years ago, I had tennis elbow. The pain is on the outside of the elbow and occurs when the tendons are stressed and over-worked. Tennis elbow is often caused by activities other than playing tennis such as weight training. In this case I was reluctant in changing my work-out routine and it developed into a chronic condition. Again, caused by overuse and perhaps improper technique from lifting weights. The pain was left from working my triceps and during some chest work-outs.

From my refusal to rest appropriately, I developed chronic Tendinitis . The pain in my elbow was such that it hurt to hold a glass of water. This last roughly 5-6 months and ultimately I took some time off from the gym because the of the pain.

Lesson learned: I have a tendency to overwork biceps and triceps. When I feel that sharp pain, I immediately stop, give it rest and focus on other muscle groups while applying ice a few times per day.

I've had both. Had a shitty repetitive stress job years ago, developed tendinitis, and it's never really gone away. Plus I still work at a computer all day which doesn't help. Lifting for the last 6 months hasn't helped either but oh well. I ice my arms a few times a week.

So yeah, lesson is don't develop tendinitis because it'll be recurring at best and chronic at worse.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Can you expand more about the symptoms you experienced with Tennis/Golfer's elbow?

My finger, wrist, and elbow joints crack a lot on some days. I can even crack them at will and after a while it feels very uncomfortable, although there isn't really pain.

I am not sure if this is because of playing guitar for way too long back in the day, Aikido, too much computer, or lifting....

Quote: (08-01-2014 09:56 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Can you expand more about the symptoms you experienced with Tennis/Golfer's elbow?

My finger, wrist, and elbow joints crack a lot on some days. I can even crack them at will and after a while it feels very uncomfortable, although there isn't really pain.

I am not sure if this is because of playing guitar for way too long back in the day, Aikido, too much computer, or lifting....

When I was researching the symptoms it is common to have sensation, pain and tension in the wrist, hand and fingers. However, my pain was concentrated in the elbow and was a direct cause from lifting weights. The key is to avoid a chronic condition. The tennis elbow took me a solid 6 months where the pain was manageable and I was able to resume my normal work-out.

One thing you can do is wear a compression sleeve on the arm that hurts.

I've also noticed that ice doesn't help my tendinitis issues in my right arm I prefer heat and rest. Rest is the only long-term solution. Along with changing your mechanics.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

The best info I found on this is a site called Tennis Elbow Classroom. Corny name but well researched and discusses evidence behind commonly proposed treatments.