rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gulf states info questions

Hey,

So I am considering moving to one of the gulf states to teach English, taking advantage of them generally paying for your housing, airfare, and having low/no taxes on foreign workers. I hope to use this opportunity to save a good chunk of money.

Anyway, I have never been to the Gulf, the only Muslim country I have been to is Jordan for a few days. Basically, being American, I am sure my mind is full of all sorts of misconceptions and lies about what life is like in the Gulf states.

From what I've heard, Saudi is particularly "dull" and they are a bit stricter on really enforcing all of their strict rules on morality.

I am not looking to go there and have a debauched crazy time, obviously I understand that you will have to follow certain rules there. But basically I am looking for a country/city that I can be reasonably free to live my life without looking over my shoulder all the time.

Can anyone with experience in these countries help to give me a general feel for which places a westerner might feel a bit more or less at east, relatively speaking?

For instance, I've heard Qatar may be a bit more lax than Saudi. But I have no idea really.

most of it is terrible, maybe dubai is an exception.

Realize you are going for the money an save every last penny

I've not been.

But. I hear that if you're a Western employee, you are pretty much given a pass to consume alcohol at the private house parties around town.

In Saudi Arabia, oil is so cheap and the life is so boring that Saudi men just drive around all the time. It costs next to nothing and nothing is all that there is to do.

If you really decide to go, probably Dubai is best. Maybe Qatar also. Saudi Arabia is probably quite depressing but I hear that Jeddah is more open and liberal, compared to Riyadh.

Do not go to Saudi Arabia, it sucks. It's one country I have not been to, but by all reports . .

Qatar will slowly drive you insane, I did not like it.

The UAE is OK, Dubai is huge and international, Abu Dhabi is smaller and more manageable.

Bahrain is very small, could not see staying there for too long.