rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone working in the Oil & Gas industry?

I've done some research and I've noticed that field workers in the oil & gas industry are making good money in Canada ($70k). Anyone has more information about this?

I'll do a data sheet tomorrow. This is a goldmine career for playas w/ a technical background or degree.

Thanks. don't forget to do so m8!

I hear there are similar advantages in Australia if you have a technical background applicable to mining. My company isn't in O&G but we sell a lot to contractors in that industry and mining.

Physical labour as a assistant driller (entry-level) gets you 70k CA$ a year. The good thing about these jobs is you can work a few months, jump on an airplane, travel and return work the fields again for a while. That's what I like about it.

Quote: (03-01-2011 03:58 PM)Tommy Wrote:  

I've done some research and I've noticed that field workers in the oil & gas industry are making good money in Canada ($70k). Anyone has more information about this?

From the hearsay I heard Middle East is much better; I heard from a guy who works in the oil industry, and he says he has 2/2 arrangement - he works there for two weeks 24x7, he lives on site. Then he flies to Thailand for two weeks, all travel paid by the company. Basically ALL his living and travel expenses are covered, so except what he spends in Thailand everything goes to bank. He says he'll retire once he gets 2M.

Sounds good? Then there is a catch. First, he has relevant education and over ten year in relevant experience - sufficient to say, he has a lot of bargaining power. Second, living in a Middle East country like Kuwait or Iran, and having an arrangement like he has is tough; good luck trying to settle up or set up a family. This is not an issue for him as he's not marriage type, but personally I would not settle up to something like that.

Quote:Quote:

First, he has relevant education and over ten year in relevant experience - sufficient to say, he has a lot of bargaining power.

I agree this is key. I don't know about the manual labor option but if that's all it is, I am shocked salaries are so high (or will stay that high for long in this economy). Even with manual labor, it is good to have a skill. Are you a certified welder? Are you willing to be trained/schooled to become one? Any other technical expertise?

There are huge shortages in these industries but they are often for very specifically defined skill sets.

In Canada one can get a 15 days Floorhand course and start working at 26.50 CA$ per hour, 14 days/12 hours a day work, 7 days off. I heard one can work for a few months, take a break and return working for a while. I'm talking about manual labor.

That's 4,4k CA$ every 2 weeks or 6,6k CA$ a month.

Quote: (03-01-2011 08:48 PM)Tommy Wrote:  

In Canada one can get a 15 days Floorhand course and start working at 26.50 CA$ per hour, 14 days/12 hours a day work, 7 days off. I heard one can work for a few months, take a break and return working for a while. I'm talking about manual labor.

2 weeks on, 1 week off....physical labor with good pay, mostly in Alberta. I ve heard a lot about 'Rig pigs' from friends of mine who live out in AB. No education required, 70K a year, lots of off time. Sounds good doesn't it.

The catch is the 'Rig pig' lifestyle. You will be in the middle of no where and in dire need of fun. So what to do? Well, rig pigs are notorious for spending all their money on hard drugs and hookers (much like truck drivers). Those weeks off are often end wasted partying in a nearby motel to your rig site. Tough habits to break once started.

Don't get me wrong, there are some guys who are smart. But its a tough culture to tread in.

Alberta is a unique place where trades make more than education. I know a lawyer who gave up his job at the firm to landscape. He got 90K in contracts in 4 months. You should consider a trade perhaps.

Interesting, Luckystrar.

I called a training centre today and they told me I need to have Canadian social security number. So basicly you have to be a Canadian citizen to get a job in the oil & gas industry in Canada.

I'm wondering if wages are the same in the U.S.A. and if foreigners can work on oil rigs overthere?

Quote: (03-01-2011 10:42 PM)Tommy Wrote:  

Interesting, Luckystrar.

I called a training centre today and they told me I need to have Canadian social security number. So basicly you have to be a Canadian citizen to get a job in the oil & gas industry in Canada.

I'm wondering if wages are the same in the U.S.A. and if foreigners can work on oil rigs overthere?

I would imagine the rigs in Texas pay better. Typically, American incomes are better for the same jobs.

Are there any other manual jobs like this in the USA & Canada offering the same wages?

looking forward to your data sheet, aliblaba

Lately, I have been constantly reminded of Roosh's twitter post a few months ago: The secret of life is to become very good at something that is very hard.

Quote: (03-01-2011 07:47 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

From the hearsay I heard Middle East is much better; I heard from a guy who works in the oil industry, and he says he has 2/2 arrangement - he works there for two weeks 24x7, he lives on site. Then he flies to Thailand for two weeks, all travel paid by the company. Basically ALL his living and travel expenses are covered, so except what he spends in Thailand everything goes to bank. He says he'll retire once he gets 2M.

Sounds good? Then there is a catch. First, he has relevant education and over ten year in relevant experience - sufficient to say, he has a lot of bargaining power. Second, living in a Middle East country like Kuwait or Iran, and having an arrangement like he has is tough; good luck trying to settle up or set up a family. This is not an issue for him as he's not marriage type, but personally I would not settle up to something like that.

So what is the issue? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Seriously. I can't even respond to this dumb shit.

Quote: (03-02-2011 04:25 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (03-01-2011 07:47 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

So what is the issue? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Seriously. I can't even respond to this dumb shit.

What's wrong man?

Here's a data sheet on the gas/oil industry jobs. It's not a white collar/luxurious lifestyle but it can provide the income and months off to live the lifestyle we all desire.

I worked for awhile in the GOM and made top dollar. It didn't come w/out stress as we were in direct support of other's lives and seconds could reflect the end results. Unlike other industries the oil companies sit on “free” money. The faster they produce the more you make...in general.

There are two camps; onshore and offshore. Take your pick. Offshore is more dangerous but exciting and onshore will probably have you sitting somewhere that sux. Either way the company has to pay for your food and shelter. This rocks for the minimalist lifestyle and let's you save up for longer trips abroad.

Advantages:
1.Free food and housing.
2.Large chunks of time off.
3.Independent company resource income.
4.Fat paychecks.

Disadvantages:
1.Long hours.
2.Dangerous.
3.Travel times.
4.Shit scheduling (sometimes).

Jobs range from basic cooks to experienced techs/engineers to project managers. It's not terribly hard to break into the industry. $15 an hour was a normal starting wage in the Gulf of Mexico. I started with a six digit salary having a solid technical/leadership background and no experience in the industry. Experienced divers can make$1K per day. Rotations vary but can include 28 days on/28 off. My company couldn't schedule shit which is the main reason I left.

Living conditions vary. Some older rigs suck but most companies pay out to make their people happy. Once you get some experience out there it's easy to move to another job. Working for a headhunter agency is a good way to feel around the companies.

You can really be a fuckup and stay afloat. Felons and drug addics were getting hired while I was out there. I ain't promising you a rose garden. At least you know where they stand. Better than a slithering white collar piece of shit that will suck the bosses dick to get you fired, and smile to your face the whole time.

For younger guys it can lead to promising careers. It sucks being a “rig pig” but not all of us suddenly became rich and successful w/out ever getting dirty hands...like a few members on this forum. Most careers require doing your time in the trenches.

Get some time under your belt and overseas jobs will start to open. Iraq will eventually open some big paying opportunities. I spent enough time in that shithole to know. I was offered $80K last year to work on hydraulics in Dubai and scoffed at the pay. You can even work in the ME, meet girls, get laid and even married if you so choose. My last passport was approx. 25% full of Kuwaiti stamps. LOL. I've spent years in the region and know it well.

Oh yeah, as for the job descriptions? Well, IME I've held jobs that “required” masters degrees, 20 years, experience, ect. Ect. Blah blah blah. It comes down to the needs of the company and how you sell yourself.

This is all I can think of right now. Actually, I'm considering jumping back in. As fun as getting shot at and blown up in war-torn shitholes it may be time for a career change. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Quote: (03-02-2011 12:09 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Here's a data sheet on the gas/oil industry jobs. It's not a white collar/luxurious lifestyle but it can provide the income and months off to live the lifestyle we all desire.

I worked for awhile in the GOM and made top dollar. It didn't come w/out stress as we were in direct support of other's lives and seconds could reflect the end results. Unlike other industries the oil companies sit on “free” money. The faster they produce the more you make...in general.

There are two camps; onshore and offshore. Take your pick. Offshore is more dangerous but exciting and onshore will probably have you sitting somewhere that sux. Either way the company has to pay for your food and shelter. This rocks for the minimalist lifestyle and let's you save up for longer trips abroad.

Advantages:
1.Free food and housing.
2.Large chunks of time off.
3.Independent company resource income.
4.Fat paychecks.

Disadvantages:
1.Long hours.
2.Dangerous.
3.Travel times.
4.Shit scheduling (sometimes).

Jobs range from basic cooks to experienced techs/engineers to project managers. It's not terribly hard to break into the industry. $15 an hour was a normal starting wage in the Gulf of Mexico. I started with a six digit salary having a solid technical/leadership background and no experience in the industry. Experienced divers can make$1K per day. Rotations vary but can include 28 days on/28 off. My company couldn't schedule shit which is the main reason I left.

Living conditions vary. Some older rigs suck but most companies pay out to make their people happy. Once you get some experience out there it's easy to move to another job. Working for a headhunter agency is a good way to feel around the companies.

You can really be a fuckup and stay afloat. Felons and drug addics were getting hired while I was out there. I ain't promising you a rose garden. At least you know where they stand. Better than a slithering white collar piece of shit that will suck the bosses dick to get you fired, and smile to your face the whole time.

For younger guys it can lead to promising careers. It sucks being a “rig pig” but not all of us suddenly became rich and successful w/out ever getting dirty hands...like a few members on this forum. Most careers require doing your time in the trenches.

Get some time under your belt and overseas jobs will start to open. Iraq will eventually open some big paying opportunities. I spent enough time in that shithole to know. I was offered $80K last year to work on hydraulics in Dubai and scoffed at the pay. You can even work in the ME, meet girls, get laid and even married if you so choose. My last passport was approx. 25% full of Kuwaiti stamps. LOL. I've spent years in the region and know it well.

Oh yeah, as for the job descriptions? Well, IME I've held jobs that “required” masters degrees, 20 years, experience, ect. Ect. Blah blah blah. It comes down to the needs of the company and how you sell yourself.

This is all I can think of right now. Actually, I'm considering jumping back in. As fun as getting shot at and blown up in war-torn shitholes it may be time for a career change. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Good post.

The issue is that with such arrangements it is very hard a) to settle up and b) to start (and keep) the family. It is not regular 9-5 type of job where you come back home every day; for those who never had this kind of schedule it is hard to estimate how difficult it really is if you're not that type. And a lot of people aren't.

Quote: (03-02-2011 03:52 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

The issue is that with such arrangements it is very hard a) to settle up and b) to start (and keep) the family. It is not regular 9-5 type of job where you come back home every day; for those who never had this kind of schedule it is hard to estimate how difficult it really is if you're not that type. And a lot of people aren't.

You make a valid point. The biggest reasons I saw for burnout were:
1. Guys trying to do 90 days at at time.
2. Guys spending too much time away from wife/kids.

The lifestyle isn't for everyone. But let's look at two paths.

1. Work 9-5, getting 2-3 weeks vacation. This realistically allows for 1 international pussy safari per year. Fuck that.

2. Stack 12 months of work into 6 and have the rest of the time off. On a 28/28 rotation you essentially get 6 1 month windows every year to travel the globe and chase tail. I like this option.

I've met some fucking retards that worked onshore here in the U.S. The crews can be very clanish. Offshore seemed to bring a better caliber of worker. On the flipside most cats I met that worked overseas on or offshore were pretty cool. I worked for the diving division of a very reputable company and most of us were tolerable to be around.

HSE and medics are good career choices for those who don't wanna get their hands too dirty. Companies look for business and marketing grads to sell products. Getting on w/ major players like Baker Hughes, BP, Chevron, Oceaneering, or GE may well lead the way to an overseas position. I met some guys years back that were banking $500 per day working in the interior of Africa.

On large operations lots of shit gets subbed out to smaller companies so networking is easy. Once you get your foot in the door it's easy to move around.

Is there a website like monster.com that lists current openings in this industry?

Quote: (03-02-2011 06:54 PM)stein Wrote:  

Is there a website like monster.com that lists current openings in this industry?

oilcareers.com
rigzone.com

Aliblahba, thanks for the information. I like your point of view. I'm working as an account manager at the moment. I don't mind getting my hands dirty. In my opinion it's definately better than working with white collars who would suck penis daily for a smaller pay-check.

Unfortunately I can't work in Canada without a SSN, which takes years to get as a foreigner. You have any idea how I could get in to this business as a floorhand in the U.S. or any other country?

Check out the websites I mentioned. There are a lot of jobs for EU residents. Another option is maritime schools. Some jobs in the offshore sector require dp vessel training/experience. I'm getting ready to fire off my resume to a bunch of companies. I see jobs in Manila, Brasil, Bangkok, ect. The biggest job concentrations seem to be in the GOM and ME. I'd prefer to be in the ME as it's centrally located to places I want to swoop. Jordan, Eritrea, Kosovo, Georgia, and Finland are on my hit list if I can get to work in Oman or Kuwait. Kazakhstan will come later when I pick up enough Russian.

Damn, the thought of having 6 months to travel per year, work in a fly location, and still maintain a good salary is getting me excited. It would be cost efficient to rent a furnished apartment every other month at a different location. A month is enough time to at least get good feel for a nation's capitol.

Working in the GOM may not be bad either. It would put me in proximity of CA/SA. Decisions, decisions.

Aliblahba: Mongolian girls are horny

Quote: (03-01-2011 10:33 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Quote: (03-01-2011 08:48 PM)Tommy Wrote:  

2 weeks on, 1 week off....physical labor with good pay, mostly in Alberta. I ve heard a lot about 'Rig pigs' from friends of mine who live out in AB. No education required, 70K a year, lots of off time. Sounds good doesn't it.

The catch is the 'Rig pig' lifestyle. You will be in the middle of no where and in dire need of fun. So what to do? Well, rig pigs are notorious for spending all their money on hard drugs and hookers (much like truck drivers). Those weeks off are often end wasted partying in a nearby motel to your rig site. Tough habits to break once started.

Don't get me wrong, there are some guys who are smart. But its a tough culture to tread in.

Alberta is a unique place where trades make more than education. I know a lawyer who gave up his job at the firm to landscape. He got 90K in contracts in 4 months. You should consider a trade perhaps.

I agree Lucky. It takes financial discipline not to go broke during time off. Not all jobs require 12 hours of straight hard labor. Guys get bored and try to make up for "lost time". I used to do a lot of reading/studying during slow shifts. This helped my mental outlook when my rotation was over. 28/14 is the best money schedule and preferred by many. A month is a lot of time off, and opens the door to a destructive lifestyle. It's important to set constructive goals and financial limits.