rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Building your network before you arrive in a foreign city

I prefer traveling only to places where I know somebody local who can help orient me. There's a lot of friction involved with trying to figure a place out and when I can I prefer to avoid that work so that I can focus on other things.

I work hard to cultivate an international network, and I treat people who pass through my territory like royalty so that I might receive a similar treatment when I enter their domain. This strategy has worked well and I've been rewarded with some unbelievable travel experiences as a result.

Sometimes though you find yourself traveling to a place where you don't know anybody, nor do you know anybody who knows anybody there. As great of a resource as the rooshnet is, there are still many places left undocumented by forum members. So you're on your own to figure out where to stay, what to do, where to game, where to work and how to act in that place.

How then might you cut down the learning curve of figuring out a new place?

You build a network.

But how do you build a network in a city you've never been to, where you don't know anybody, and where you don't speak the local language?

A few ideas:

1. Tapping into existing online networks
Online networks like couchsurfing, badoo, ASmallWorld, etc., can often provide you with some contacts. Not always the best, but it's something.

2. Super niche facebook groups
There are hyperlocal facebook groups for everything these days. Whatever interest you have, there is probably a local group for it.

3. Language classes
Signing up for group classes at a language school can be a good way to network with other foreigners there. Often times they've got useful intel for you. I'm more interested in locals though, so let's keep going.

4. Hosting an English meetup
I like this idea because you're putting yourself in a leadership position by bringing everyone together. Advertise at the local university, with English schools, with local blogs, on couchsurfing, tell all of the cute girls you meet on badoo about it.

Of the strategies mentioned, hosting events is going to take the most amount of work to pull off, but I think it comes with the biggest reward. You can quickly build a name for yourself in a new city by doing this, and establish yourself as a leader. If you are known as a guy who hosts cool parties, people will want to invite you to their parties.

Hosting an English meetup is a pretty simple idea, but I think there might be a better way to do this.

What are some other ideas for how you might build a network in a foreign city?

Note: I titled this thread "before you arrive" with the idea that you arrange all of this online. We don't want to waste time and we want to make a bang from the get go.

This may not be a way to initiate networks, but I expand mine by tweeting and instagramming at the friends I made in past trips. Friends of friends start to recognize my presence and it makes it easier to transition those friends of friends into my own social circle.

Girls love to use social media because there's zero risk of you making a move, which makes them open and non-defensive. Plus, talking to people in other countries is exotic.

You might also find some expat groups on InterNations or Facebook. I have found most of these folks to be weird, but weird people have some normal friends, and normal people have some attractive female friends.

Language is something that will open doors for you. A little goes a long way. Don't try to make international friendships on English alone, because you and the other person will both miss the nuances of each other's personalities.

One more idea is to get in touch with a volunteer program before your visit. You can find programs like the Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity in many corners of the world, and if you're just looking for a couple people to help you get up to speed on the local culture, spots to go meet people, etc, this is a very easy one because most people in those organizations will freely trade their knowledge to someone whom they perceive as giving up time to help others.

I've had very good experience using Meetup.com, one of my go-to tools in a new city. Great way to both network in your biz field or hobbies and at the same time there's always girls there who are into foreigners. Both made some friends and banged some girls from it.

Quote: (07-02-2014 11:52 PM)polymath Wrote:  

This may not be a way to initiate networks, but I expand mine by tweeting and instagramming at the friends I made in past trips. Friends of friends start to recognize my presence and it makes it easier to transition those friends of friends into my own social circle.

Girls love to use social media because there's zero risk of you making a move, which makes them open and non-defensive. Plus, talking to people in other countries is exotic.

You might also find some expat groups on InterNations or Facebook. I have found most of these folks to be weird, but weird people have some normal friends, and normal people have some attractive female friends.

Language is something that will open doors for you. A little goes a long way. Don't try to make international friendships on English alone, because you and the other person will both miss the nuances of each other's personalities.

One more idea is to get in touch with a volunteer program before your visit. You can find programs like the Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity in many corners of the world, and if you're just looking for a couple people to help you get up to speed on the local culture, spots to go meet people, etc, this is a very easy one because most people in those organizations will freely trade their knowledge to someone whom they perceive as giving up time to help others.

I agree with everything in your post, but have you ever actually networked with these 'weird' people, to get to the 'normal' people and in turn their attractive friends? I could never be bothered with that.

Ethan Amarante's datasheets:
*Glasgow