rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How I Stopped Uncontrollable Excessive Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)

How I Stopped Uncontrollable Excessive Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)

Just read the article on RoK on stopping excessive sweating and as someone who once suffered from it, I'm here to offer some different solutions if the minimalist approach outlined there doesn't work (believe me I've tried it).

While the methods listed in the article will work for many, they didn't for me.

Hyperhydrosis is a recognized medical condition characterized by excessive and uncontrollable sweating, with no apparent cause (i.e. heat). It can be palms, back, armpits, feet, wherever. It is suspected to be a nerve issue and from what I've seen researching it and helping people I know personally, is very likely genetic. (someone has the signs? ask if their dad does, I've never found an example that didn't)

Mine was armpit sweat, I could literally soak through two layers of shirts and a fur lined jacket from my armpits to my waist, before noon, on any random day.
While shivering cause I was cold.
Which was why I was wearing the jacket in the first place.
And did so very very regularly. I was afraid to hug people, etc, because it felt gross, because it was gross.

There is a variety of ways to treat it, this list of methods I've either researched or tried is from least invasive to most:
  • Finding Triggers
  • Odaban
  • Pills
  • Botox
  • Microwaves
  • Surgery
Triggers!
Trigger warning.
So first, try to find your triggers. This is the method outlined in this article (http://www.returnofkings.com/38496/how-t...t-sweating) and will help many people. Your sweating may be result of diet, stress, or a reaction to your soap, deodorant, etc.
If it is, then stop doing that and your problem is solved.

But if that doesn't work, it may not be entirely your fault, so read on.

Odaban
No Pain No Gain
For those of you with armpit sweat issues like me, this is the holy grail.
It's cheap, effective, and only burns like hell the first couple times you use it.
(for real, it'll leave your pits a bit raw for the first couple applications... but its worth it. Apply some aloe vera and enjoy not sweating you pussy.)
Only 1-2% of your body's sweat glands are in the armpits, you don't need them to stay cool, and if yours are overacting... stop them.
This stuff worked for both me and my father. It wasn't the first thing I tried, but it was the last.
Three or four squirts to the armpit, after drying off from a shower, a couple nights in a row, and you're good for a couple weeks to a month.
It's available here ( http://www.amazon.com/Odaban-Antiperspir...rds=odaban ) and I have no affiliation with this product other than I use it.

I spend 15-20 minutes in a sauna every day, I run, I lift, I take pre-workout to lift (stimulants exacerbate sweating).... It doesn't wear out or let me down. I can be soaked head to toe in understandable temperature regulating sweat, but my armpits will be dry.
It's one less thing to worry about and a bottle will last you atleast a month or two.

But laserbear, that didn't work/it's not my armpits
Then read on.

PILLS!
There's a drug for everything from depression to hallucinogenically altering only your hearing... and your sweaty palms are no exception.

An off label usage of quite a few drugs for urinary issues, is to prevent sweating.
If you ask your doc for a script of oxybutinin for hyperhydrosis, they should help you. Its a common off label use.
This is best used for facial and palm sweating, but worked for my armpits.
I used this before odaban but had to stop due to side effects...
My side effects started after six months of use and included:
Dry Mouth
Nausea
Dizzyness
Dry Eyes
and
Drowsiness
But, they don't happen to everyone, so if you're sweating the decision (haha puns), don't, talk to your doc, figure out which drug is right for you, and give it a try.

Botox
It's not just for your lips!

For armpit sweaters you do have yet another route just for you...
Botox injections into your armpits, it's not cheap, its not permanent, but it does have good reviews.
I don't know much more about it because I never had to, and when I was considering more invasive means, I wanted them to be permanent.
Feel ree to reaserch this one on your own, but if I was gonna be putting up $1000+... I only want to do it once. Not every 3-6 months.

Microwaves
I bet your pits will be delicious.

For real though, microwave destruction of your armpit's sweat glands is a recognized treatment for excessive armpit sweat, has loads of good reviews, and a short recovery time... best of all, you only do it once.
They cool your armpits while applying microwave radiation to them to destroy the sweat glands (which are incapable of healing).
It is done in two sittings, six months apart, and has a complete recover time usually in 1-2 weeks.
It will cost roughly $3000 overall, with variation on a case by case basis and geographically.
More information can be found here (http://miradry.com/)

Surgery
Palms just won't stop sweating?
Out of options?
Really hate pills?
Fuck it, lets just slice and dice some shit.

ETS is a minimally invasive surgery where a doc snips the nerve responsible for your excessive sweating. It is a last resort and is primarily used for palms, and occasionally armpits.
It has a whole list of potential side effects and should only be considered and an absolute last resort.
The side effects range from minor, to extreme, to ironic (compensatory sweating in other areas of the body)... but all share one thing, they are irreversible.
If you're going this route, reaserch it heavily on your own, but here's a few links to start at, I considered it, so I'll give you the option too... just make sure you've tried everything else first.
http://www.sweathelp.org/en/hyperhidrosi...rgery.html
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/...is-surgery
http://www.sweaty-palms.com/detailsofsurgery.html