rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting an internet business?

I have been considering starting an internet business in my spare time, but I am looking at a lot of things and am feeling overwhelmed in the businessosphere. I have a badass career but as any smart man I would like multiple income streams incase something goes to shit. I would simply go to Thailand (or wherever the hell else) and work on my business. Additionally I'm sort of a workaholic and would rather make money than sit on my ass and watch TV. One of the supplements I'm taking killed my sex drive so I really don't want to go out.

I talked to my dad and he has money to invest (few thousand dollars. He doesn't mind giving it to me as long as it's not going to be wasted). I was looking at paid traffic and I like the idea and, but I'm also looking at other options.

Tldr: I'm sick of picking up chicks and want to start an internet side business.

I'm sure this would give a lot of other people ideas as well. It would be awesome for someone who actually banks online would give some input.

If I read your post right you have a career right now but want to give it up to start an internet business. If that's true I would advise you to wait before leaving your job and get your internet business producing good income first. Once the internet stuff is doing well then you can quit your job. You also have to remember that the first, second, or third idea might not work. If you gave up your job without succeeding in your first attempts then you are pretty fucked.

TLDR: Don't quit, start biz now, once successful quit job.

Quote: (06-25-2014 12:19 PM)jake1720 Wrote:  

I have been considering starting an internet business in my spare time, but I am looking at a lot of things and am feeling overwhelmed in the businessosphere. I have a badass career but as any smart man I would like multiple income streams incase something goes to shit. I would simply go to Thailand (or wherever the hell else) and work on my business. Additionally I'm sort of a workaholic and would rather make money than sit on my ass and watch TV. One of the supplements I'm taking killed my sex drive so I really don't want to go out.

I talked to my dad and he has money to invest (few thousand dollars. He doesn't mind giving it to me as long as it's not going to be wasted). I was looking at paid traffic and I like the idea and, but I'm also looking at other options.

Tldr: I'm sick of picking up chicks and want to start an internet side business.

I'm sure this would give a lot of other people ideas as well. It would be awesome for someone who actually banks online would give some input.

I am NOT sure if I understand how any RVF guy could be sick of picking up chicks... unless such activity was distracting him from achieving other personal goals.

I am sure that it is possible that picking up chicks is NOT always without its negative aspects, and over the years, I have experienced my own fair share of problems with women (chicks). Nonetheless, I remain unclear if I get your point about being sick of picking up chicks?

Quote: (06-26-2014 12:23 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

I am NOT sure if I understand how any RVF guy could be sick of picking up chicks... unless such activity was distracting him from achieving other personal goals.

When you focus on picking up chicks, you are chasing skirts. Fine but not fulfilling.

When you focus on your business, lifestyle and self-improvement, skirts come as a bonus.

Quote: (06-26-2014 02:24 AM)CaptainCrazy Wrote:  

When you focus on picking up chicks, you are chasing skirts. Fine but not fulfilling.

When you focus on your business, lifestyle and self-improvement, skirts come as a bonus.

I am in my 40s, so I have been doing both of these kinds of things (chasing girls and business activities) for years... more than 20 yrs.. .and I am still single and still doing these kinds of things... and plan to do more chasing and business in coming years.. hopefully more chasing and less business, but specifics of the future time allocations are still to be worked out... but seem to be more on the chasing skirts side of things.

Surely, each of us will find life balances that suit our interests and needs, and certainly in my life, I have had to spend time focusing on my career many times, and sometimes foregoing skirt chasing for extended periods.... ; however, I would NOT phrase the situation that I was "sick of picking up chicks," but rather that I did NOT have enough time and/or energy to engage in such activities.

Probably, we do NOT have any major disagreement overall here, except that I was just a little confused by your choice of phraseology, and I think that I understand better, now. [Image: idea.gif]

Quote: (06-26-2014 03:05 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

I am in my 40s, so I have been doing both of these kinds of things (chasing girls and business activities) for years... more than 20 yrs.. .and I am still single and still doing these kinds of things... and plan to do more chasing and business in coming years.. hopefully more chasing and less business, but specifics of the future time allocations are still to be worked out... but seem to be more on the chasing skirts side of things.

Surely, each of us will find life balances that suit our interests and needs, and certainly in my life, I have had to spend time focusing on my career many times, and sometimes foregoing skirt chasing for extended periods.... ; however, I would NOT phrase the situation that I was "sick of picking up chicks," but rather that I did NOT have enough time and/or energy to engage in such activities.

Probably, we do NOT have any major disagreement overall here, except that I was just a little confused by your choice of phraseology, and I think that I understand better, now. [Image: idea.gif]

I went on a nootropic spree this year and stimulant spree and killed my adrenals and something brought my sex drive down immensely.

I go out and game and it's fun, but I don't want to close. So I'm spending the next time getting awesome financials. I want to be balling here in the next few years.

Quote: (06-26-2014 10:43 AM)jake1720 Wrote:  

I went on a nootropic spree this year and stimulant spree and killed my adrenals and something brought my sex drive down immensely.

I go out and game and it's fun, but I don't want to close. So I'm spending the next time getting awesome financials. I want to be balling here in the next few years.

I try to go all natural with my nutrients, and probably my main stimulant is coffee.

I do NOT have anything against stimulants if they are strategically worked into your lifestyle, but we certainly need to be careful regarding long term implications - b/c guys may think that they are balling in their 20s and 30s and making a lot of progress, but then when they want to enjoy all of their gained riches, they have lost their health and sex drive.

so ultimately we need to be able to attempt to achieve some balance, and frequently that balance is easier said than done... and the actual application becomes a real challenge... so in that regard, it remains very important to have short and long term goals and to be making progress towards those goals on nearly a daily basis b/c before you know it you were 20 with all this time and then you are 40 and wonder where all the time went.

Quote: (06-26-2014 10:50 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (06-26-2014 10:43 AM)jake1720 Wrote:  

I try to go all natural with my nutrients, and probably my main stimulant is coffee.

I do NOT have anything against stimulants if they are strategically worked into your lifestyle, but we certainly need to be careful regarding long term implications - b/c guys may think that they are balling in their 20s and 30s and making a lot of progress, but then when they want to enjoy all of their gained riches, they have lost their health and sex drive.

so ultimately we need to be able to attempt to achieve some balance, and frequently that balance is easier said than done... and the actual application becomes a real challenge... so in that regard, it remains very important to have short and long term goals and to be making progress towards those goals on nearly a daily basis b/c before you know it you were 20 with all this time and then you are 40 and wonder where all the time went.

No I totally agree. Lesson learned. I'm getting into paid traffic. I plan on starting small and moving up - all whist staying on my current career path (which also pays very well) incase that does not work out.

I use caffeine normally. I keep modafinil on the side in case I need it also. Although I have gotten much healthier lately.

If anyone has any real business advice - let me know. I'd be more than willing to listen.

No they don´t

You still have to go out and meet people.

Quote: (06-25-2014 01:00 PM)username Wrote:  

If I read your post right you have a career right now but want to give it up to start an internet business. If that's true I would advise you to wait before leaving your job and get your internet business producing good income first. Once the internet stuff is doing well then you can quit your job. You also have to remember that the first, second, or third idea might not work. If you gave up your job without succeeding in your first attempts then you are pretty fucked.

TLDR: Don't quit, start biz now, once successful quit job.

Good advice.

Quote: (06-26-2014 11:09 AM)jake1720 Wrote:  

If anyone has any real business advice - let me know. I'd be more than willing to listen.

There may be a way to succinctly outline your business plan and goals (of course without giving away of any of your specific trade secrets) in order that guys here may be able to provide some input for you. Lots of guys here have lots of variation of business and travel background, and even if a guy has NOT specifically planned or done what you are planning, you still may be able to receive some valuable input, which seems to be what you are seeking.

For example, you could outline your intended time line, and maybe some of the financial goals that you would like to achieve. And, accordingly, describe why you believe the plan is reasonable or reachable.

You stated that you have received a certain amount of capital, and how much capital and/or time do you need. Once you put together some of the basics, what are the expected revenue streams, are those going to be steady or sporadic? How much money would you need the business to generate? how much time would you need to spend on it, in the beginning and maintenance? Are you going to need employees or contractors or partners? How would you expect the monetary flow to change over time (I think that worst case scenarios need to be considered as well as best case scenarios).

There are a lot of ways to provide information to answer some of these basic questions or to frame the matter in your own way, and a more detailed description from you would likely provide some springboard and guidance for us to engage in better discussion(s) of your current considerations.

Some guys here may think your plan is crazy or stupid or NOT monetizable. Yet, ultimately, the plan would be yours, and there may be some feedback here that could be more helpful or less helpful in figuring out ways in which you can better help yourself in setting your goals, adjusting your goals and hopefully ultimately achieving them.

Quote: (06-26-2014 03:32 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

There may be a way to succinctly outline your business plan and goals (of course without giving away of any of your specific trade secrets) in order that guys here may be able to provide some input for you. Lots of guys here have lots of variation of business and travel background, and even if a guy has NOT specifically planned or done what you are planning, you still may be able to receive some valuable input, which seems to be what you are seeking.

For example, you could outline your intended time line, and maybe some of the financial goals that you would like to achieve. And, accordingly, describe why you believe the plan is reasonable or reachable.

You stated that you have received a certain amount of capital, and how much capital and/or time do you need. Once you put together some of the basics, what are the expected revenue streams, are those going to be steady or sporadic? How much money would you need the business to generate? how much time would you need to spend on it, in the beginning and maintenance? Are you going to need employees or contractors or partners? How would you expect the monetary flow to change over time (I think that worst case scenarios need to be considered as well as best case scenarios).

There are a lot of ways to provide information to answer some of these basic questions or to frame the matter in your own way, and a more detailed description from you would likely provide some springboard and guidance for us to engage in better discussion(s) of your current considerations.

Some guys here may think your plan is crazy or stupid or NOT monetizable. Yet, ultimately, the plan would be yours, and there may be some feedback here that could be more helpful or less helpful in figuring out ways in which you can better help yourself in setting your goals, adjusting your goals and hopefully ultimately achieving them.

Capital - I can probably bring together 10 grand if it's a good idea I can convince my parents and friends.

I'm currently in college and have 2 more years - with some part time semesters. Ideally I can run it solely from a laptop. I travel too much to really worry about a physical location.

I have a badass career after college planned. I don't mind working 12 hours a day. Profitability is negotiable but I'd like to see a potential of at least 100k+ a year. At that point I'll sell it or run it on the side.

I've been brainstorming but this is the first time I have conciously tried going into business. I had to deal with some health issues for the past 4 years. I do have a good GPA in engineering so I know I'm smart enough to do this and hardworking enough. The issue mainly is that I have no business background and knowledge. Reading books has helped immensely but I still feel confused. I'm going to go ahead and start failing now while I'm young [Image: smile.gif].

Quote: (06-26-2014 03:45 PM)jake1720 Wrote:  

Quote: (06-26-2014 03:32 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Capital - I can probably bring together 10 grand if it's a good idea I can convince my parents and friends.

I'm currently in college and have 2 more years - with some part time semesters. Ideally I can run it solely from a laptop. I travel too much to really worry about a physical location.

I have a badass career after college planned. I don't mind working 12 hours a day. Profitability is negotiable but I'd like to see a potential of at least 100k+ a year. At that point I'll sell it or run it on the side.

I've been brainstorming but this is the first time I have conciously tried going into business. I had to deal with some health issues for the past 4 years. I do have a good GPA in engineering so I know I'm smart enough to do this and hardworking enough. The issue mainly is that I have no business background and knowledge. Reading books has helped immensely but I still feel confused. I'm going to go ahead and start failing now while I'm young [Image: smile.gif].

I realize that you made the above bolded statement tongue in cheek, meaning that you probably did NOT really mean it.

I personally believe that if you attempt to address several of the questions of my previous post with specifics and a specific plan, then going through such specifics would likely help you to figure out the likelihood that money will flow to you from such a business. Sometimes successful internet businesses begin at a loss or without a real money flow, but if they are able to achieve considerable adoption, then they can be monetized from that increased adoption.

The kinds of specific plans would be to maybe dedicate a certain number of hours a week to the business and then to have various targets along the way that you would reassess the situation. Almost no business goes from $0 to $100K without some kind of planning or progression, which may be very small or even negative in the first few years. So in that regard, you would maybe consider what your timeline would be in that you may decide to abandon or convert the business at a certain point if certain things develop - such as lack of monetization or lack of adoption or a competitor with a better product.

Personally, I believe that it is NOT the right mindset to go in thinking that you are planning to fail - even though statistically it is likely... and yes there are positives that can be gained from NOT achieving the goal or NOT having success in the business - which some may deem failure.... and you can definitely use your youth to rebound if necessary and to try again or try some other variation or try something completely different - but there still can be opportunity costs when you choose to employ your skills in a certain direction rather than another direction, and that is part of the purpose to engage in some fairly detailed planning - even if you do NOT share some of the details with others (especially strangers on the interweb... ). [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (06-26-2014 01:42 PM)LaCobra Wrote:  

No they don´t

Sure you do, just not with the the goal to woo sluts.

Quote: (06-27-2014 06:07 PM)CaptainCrazy Wrote:  

No they don´t

Guys should be able to multi-task somewhat. Don't tell me that forum members are NOW against gaming or attempting to incorporate gaming into the lives of guys.

I have NO problem with guys wanting to focus on building themselves or building their businesses or creating some kind of financial capital; however, do some of us really believe that it is necessary to denigrate gaming, when in fact a large number of guys in this forum remain interested in gaming and incorporating gaming into their lives.

NOW, on the other hand, if you are NOT a guy and you are trolling this thread with a variety of incomplete and anti-gaming thoughts, then maybe forum culture is NOT really for you.

Surely, I would be interested in why any real guy feels that it is necessary to denigrate the concept of gaming or the concept of chasing skirts or the concept of incorporating these activities into building business and/or financial objectives?

Quote: (06-27-2014 06:33 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2014 06:07 PM)CaptainCrazy Wrote:  

No they don´t

Guys should be able to multi-task somewhat. Don't tell me that forum members are NOW against gaming or attempting to incorporate gaming into the lives of guys.

I have NO problem with guys wanting to focus on building themselves or building their businesses or creating some kind of financial capital; however, do some of us really believe that it is necessary to denigrate gaming, when in fact a large number of guys in this forum remain interested in gaming and incorporating gaming into their lives.

NOW, on the other hand, if you are NOT a guy and you are trolling this thread with a variety of incomplete and anti-gaming thoughts, then maybe forum culture is NOT really for you.

Surely, I would be interested in why any real guy feels that it is necessary to denigrate the concept of gaming or the concept of chasing skirts or the concept of incorporating these activities into building business and/or financial objectives?

I don't know. Either way right now i'm in my "screw girls, I want money phase" but I have gone out for years up to this point. I realized I want my freedom more than anything else at this point really.

I also have an idea for an online business. Does anyone have books or recommendations they could give for doing this?

Mentors, forums, websites etc?

Nevermind, found fizzle.co and signed up for a 1month trial. Thanks.

A great resource from a fellow manosphere guy, Victor Pride, is BAD.net. http://boldanddetermined.net/

He will set up a site for you with WordPress installed. He will will also provide you with a few e-books. It's all free besides the cost of web hosting.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

I heard an interview with Mark Cuban a while back where he said anyone who takes a loan to start a business and starts in debt is an idiot. Now I don't completely agree with that as some businesses require an initial investment. Internet business however is not one of them, you can start an internet business on a shoestring budget. I don't see any reason to lay out a large investment. Also are you planning on going the ecommerce route or just doing blogging or affiliate marketing?

"Paid traffic" isn't a business model. You to have something that'll make you money with free traffic before you even consider paying for traffic. "Paid traffic" is a marketing method for a business model, not a business model in itself.

Your first step is to think of a website that will make you money if you can get traffic to it, then work out how you're going to get the traffic to it (eg paid traffic).

VIctor Pride from BoldandDetermined talks a lot about having an internet business. You should check him out. I think that a big part of this is having an idea of something that you want to sell. A lot of people want to get into the internet game, but they haven't figured out their niche.

Think about roosh (dating and game)
Victor Pride (Fitness and motivation)
That limp wrist yoga dude (yoga and self-improvement)

You can also sell products, but first you need a niche that you can break into and learn the ropes in.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

ONe thing to consider when choosing a niche is how do you plan to monetize and how will you run and host the site.

Reason being if your doing a dating site maybe you wanna do commission junction with some dating site affiliates and also supplement with maybe amaxon affiliate and adsense. Problem being if you stary getting into sex adsense may ban you.

Also from a blog platform perspective a while back blogger took down either all adult sites or at the very least all adult sites with advertising. People basically got 3 day notice their business model was going away and 3 days to port it over to wordpress before it was deleted