rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's Your Signature Drink?

A few months back, I wrote an article entitled The Gentlemens Guide to Bourbon (http://www.returnofkings.com/35541/the-g...-bourbon). Despite a few asinine comments, the article went over well. My question to the family here is: do you have a signature drink? If not, whats on your shelf right now?

And go.

Old fashioned

Similar thread here - http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18547.html

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

I was big on old-fashioneds but recently discovered the Vieux Carré, a classic from New Orleans.

Although 100% spirits, it goes down easy and is a great fall/winter drink, in my view. Mint-juleps for the summer. Packed with crushed ice of course. Ohhhh lawd!

A year from now you'll wish you started today

I make a cocktail with whiskey and sweet tea. I always called it the hole in one, but I found out recently that's not right. Meh.

I've used it to get girls back to my place like 15 times. "You don't like whiskey?! I bet I can make a whiskey cocktail you'll like."

Cuba Libre (rum coke splash of lime) or a Mojito depending on how much I feel like tipping that night.
Always gotta tip extra big for good mojitos, such a pain to make.

Manhattan.

Johnny Walker Black, straight up. Simple and pretty universal (ie. lots of bars tend to carry it, regardless of where you are in the world), and people can't fuck it up. For every fantastic bartender, there are 2 or 3 who can't even make a Rum and Coke well.

As much as I love my staple, there's something to be said for drinking what is local/good/what everyone else is drinking. Examples:

If I'm at the Kentucky Derby, I'll drink Mint Juleps. I'm not a particularly big fan of them all the time, but there's something about the South in the spring that the drink just fits in.

If I'm at Henley and the sun is out (something extremely rare, in my experience), there is nothing better than a Pimms. If it's raining Henley is not nearly as fun. Henley can be a wild time and the liquor starts flowing at 10 AM. Pimms for whatever reason is fantastic there, I haven't found a good Pimms cup anywhere else.

The south of France I love to drink the wine there, even €5 house wine at most places tends to be not bad. It's something about the atmosphere and being there that it is just fantastic. Also, the pairings with the cuisine are perfect.

Everywhere has their domestic/local drink of choice. You can have whatever you want in your local dive, but if you're traveling, or even going to a different bar in your hometown that has specialty, try something new. You'll be surprised.

Quote: (06-22-2014 08:04 AM)ElJefe Wrote:  

I was big on old-fashioneds but recently discovered the Vieux Carré, a classic from New Orleans.

Although 100% spirits, it goes down easy and is a great fall/winter drink, in my view. Mint-juleps for the summer. Packed with crushed ice of course. Ohhhh lawd!

Ingredients in the Vieux Carré? Cus Im too lazy to google that shit

Soda water with lime [Image: smile.gif].

I go the old cowboy route and generally stick to the whiskey family (whiskey, bourbon, scotch) when I'm at my regular bar and in on-lock status when the two popular bartenders I know are there. Plus I just like the taste. If I'm trying to get smashed I'll usually go for a couple selections of the Wild Turkey 101; if I go too far I wake up with a really shitty hangover since whiskeys will pound your skull like a five-dollar whore, though. If I'm just out and enjoying my night, however, I'll usually ask for Johnny Walker Black or Double Black depending on the venue.

Lately I've been going the McQueen route and sticking to vodka-based drinks when I'm out so I don't regret my life decisions. Still, my signature is the various whiskeys.

Quote: (06-22-2014 07:43 AM)Demitrius Rex Wrote:  

A few months back, I wrote an article entitled The Gentlemens Guide to Bourbon (http://www.returnofkings.com/35541/the-g...-bourbon). Despite a few asinine comments, the article went over well. My question to the family here is: do you have a signature drink? If not, whats on your shelf right now?

And go.

I read that. As someone who usually goes that route when I'm out it was absolutely spot-on.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Negroni or Americano, at least in summer. Manhattan or Sidecar are always good in colder weather. Vodka Soda w/ lime when planning to drink a lot.

In the winter I stick to the the classic Boulivardier. Or whiskey neat.

Summer I drink lots of Champagne (or sparking, prosecco, cava, etc) and Tequila (fresh lime, shot of soda and a blood orange slice).

I love mint Juleps on Sunday afternoons though.

guinness

For RVF, just like The Dude, it should be a White Russian.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Wild Turkey 101 Manhattan, I call it, "the man's Manhattan."

white russians are good

for beer, honey brown

Huge bourban, rye, and scotch fan. Good beer and wine have their place as well, but truly I'm a whiskey man. Outside of the occasional Manhattan, I take all of the following neat. Always willing to try something new if the bartender knows what they're doing though.

Bourbons

Knob Creek Single Barrel(120 proof be careful) - The first sip may be rough, but after that it's delicious. If it's a little too much to handle have it made as a Manhattan and that should do the trick.

Buffalo Trace - Dirt cheap and great to boot. Great for your flask whisky or out and about.

Ryes

Templeton - From Iowa and a little hard to find. Becoming more popular at whiskey establishments that pride themselves on their selection. Allegedly
Al Capone's drink of choice. Smooth.

Wild Turkey - Not at all like it's rougher bourbon stablemate. Delicious and does the trick quicker than most others.

Scotchs

Either Glenfiddich 12 or Glenlivet 12 - For scotch on a budget either one of these is quite decent. The 18s are very reasonably priced and tasty as well as a significant step up.

Macallan 18 - At 25 a drink I don't do it often, however when I do it's well worth it. Now and again you may find it at a buck a year, which is an absolute steal.

With the exception of the Macallan 18 all of the above are quite reasonably priced at a bar or as a bottle for home use.

With all that said, my current job site is isn't in the most urbane of environments so my overall drink of choice based on years of stats...

Jack on the Rocks. Can't be beat when there's nothing better...

Quote: (06-22-2014 09:06 PM)DirtyWork Wrote:  

Huge bourban, rye, and scotch fan. Good beer and wine have their place as well, but truly I'm a whiskey man. Outside of the occasional Manhattan, I take all of the following neat. Always willing to try something new if the bartender knows what they're doing though.

Bourbons

Knob Creek Single Barrel(120 proof be careful) - The first sip may be rough, but after that it's delicious. If it's a little too much to handle have it made as a Manhattan and that should do the trick.

Buffalo Trace - Dirt cheap and great to boot. Great for your flask whisky or out and about.

Ryes

Templeton - From Iowa and a little hard to find. Becoming more popular at whiskey establishments that pride themselves on their selection. Allegedly
Al Capone's drink of choice. Smooth.

Wild Turkey - Not at all like it's rougher bourbon stablemate. Delicious and does the trick quicker than most others.

Scotchs

Either Glenfiddich 12 or Glenlivet 12 - For scotch on a budget either one of these is quite decent. The 18s are very reasonably priced and tasty as well as a significant step up.

Macallan 18 - At 25 a drink I don't do it often, however when I do it's well worth it. Now and again you may find it at a buck a year, which is an absolute steal.

With the exception of the Macallan 18 all of the above are quite reasonably priced at a bar or as a bottle for home use.

With all that said, my current job site is isn't in the most urbane of environments so my overall drink of choice based on years of stats...

Jack on the Rocks. Can't be beat when there's nothing better...

Glenfiddich 12 is my go-to scotch for my home spirit. You have good taste.

I keep a bottle of rye at home. Have you noticed any difference in brands? Jim Beam has served me well so I'm wondering if there are any others that might be better.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Whiskey Sour.

Toro is also good for the summer.

Sprite + vodka. Used to work in a club that had a special for florida tracksuits, pretty girly but fuckin' tasty. 1/2oz orange vodka 1/2oz raspberry sourpuss + 1-2oz redbull, seperate like a yagrbomb.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

Cuba Libre.

"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis

Bourbon & ice. Fancy stuff is okay (Four Roses Single Barrel, Booker's, Rowan's Creek), but I'll go Jim Beam from time-to-time since all of the other shit doesn't burn anymore going down, like bourbon should. Makes me feel alive again, unlike something like Maker's, which tastes like ice water at this point.

Some ladies think this is a hard-ass move, others treat me like a goddamned monster.

Whatever. Fuck it. I don't drink it to impress them--it's just fucking delicious.

Vigo.

Gin & Tonic or Norcal Margarhita-paleo freindly

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Whenever I have guests I make a giant 4 liter Mohito in a punch bowl.

But I usually drink Hendricks gin with tonic and some sliced up cucumbers in there.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

Walnut liqueur.

[Image: 21b78081b4d7864f58a7a0513f31ef4b_view_l.jpg?v=0]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before