rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

YOU are not the ONLY AMERICANS!

For years, I've heard English-speaking natives of Latin America say…

"Why do people from the United States think they are the only Americans?
We are Americans too"

Well, for one thing…
There is only one country in the world with "America" in its name.

Another thing...
There is no other word in English to describe someone from the US.

In many trips to Latin America, people have asked me…

¿Es Ud. AMERICANO?
¿Sos AMERICANO?
¿Eres AMERICANO?

NO ONE has ever asked me…

¿Es Ud. ESTADOUNIDENSE?

I've never heard the word "estadounidense" in conversation…I've only read it in newspapers.

(Estadounidense can be translated as "United Statesian" I suppose…which of course sounds ridiculous in English. There is no such world in English).

This "you're not the only Americans" thing DOES NOT bother me because of "national pride". I'm a libertarian. I don't worship governments. I'm not some flag-waving Fox Newser.

It bothers me because…it is ILLOGICAL and RIDICULOUS.

If some Latin Americans are offended by Americans referring to themselves as Americans…then they need to have Spanish speakers stop referring to AMERICANS as AMERICANOS in their own language.

Gentlemen, your thoughts?

This old thing? Latin Americans are always getting their knickers in a twist over this.
It's the ENGLISH LANGUAGE. "America" = short for the USA.
In Spanish, it's different.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Technically North America (United States & Canada) and South America both have "America" in their name.

Sometimes people want to wave their flags in front of other people's faces for no reason other than creating a sense of identity for themselves and trying to make the non-residents "lesser than thou".

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

There's no point in arguing semantics with people when abroad, especially if it's a bunch of dudes. They have their own way of looking at things and nothing you say or do will change that.

What you should be concentrating on is nailing as much hot latin pussy as possible.

[Image: Death%20to%20America.jpg]

I'm sure these guys must be referring to Latin America. [Image: dodgy.gif]

I thought you were going to come in here bitching about Americans calling themselves Americans and was just going to say "dude chill the fuck out." haha

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I've made that same argument. You're always called an American, but then when you say from America you're wrong.

^^ With regards to Brazilians, I always used to say "sou estadounidense" until one girl kept correcting me saying it was awkward.....

But I will continue to utter that anyways just to come off as "aloof charming" in future instances....

¿Es usted gringo?

Its not about what is correct but about what people uses the most.

Its like someone asks you 'can you hand me that scotch tape' for non Scotch brand adehesive tape and you try to correct them. Americans mean White people from U.S.A

Btw Indians are asians too (this british guy told me they call them asians there)
Can you imagine Indian guy calling himself as asian in states?

This annoys me.

It's the United States of AMERICA for Chrissake. America is in the country's name!! It's that simple. Nobody is saying "hey I'm from America" out of some sort of arrogance it's just actually part of the name of the country.

As another example, Mexico is technically Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United States of Mexico) and is commonly referred to as "Mexico."

Duh.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

I've never met anyone outside of the US who referred to themselves as American.

Coming from New Zealand, there is no way in English for me to say " I am _______"

It has to be, "I'm from New Zealand" or "I'm a New Zealander". [Image: dodgy.gif]

Quote: (06-21-2014 06:02 AM)draguer Wrote:  

Coming from New Zealand, there is no way in English for me to say " I am _______"

It has to be, "I'm from New Zealand" or "I'm a New Zealander". [Image: dodgy.gif]

Really? "I am Kiwi"

Where are you from?: ¿De donde eres?

I'm from the US/Japón/Inglaterra: "Soy de los Estados Unidos/Japan/England."

If someone asks you:
¿Es Ud. AMERICANO?
¿Sos AMERICANO?
¿Eres AMERICANO?

You can answer, Sí, soy Americano, without them saying "¡No, uds. no están los Americanos unicos!"

In Spanish speaking South American countries people refer to S. America, Central America, and N. America (incl. Canada and Mexico).

Quote: (06-21-2014 01:11 AM)buja Wrote:  

For years, I've heard English-speaking natives of Latin America say…

"Why do people from the United States think they are the only Americans?
We are Americans too"

Gentlemen, your thoughts?

Not one person has ever said this to me in Latin America when I told them I was American. I find it surprising that people have been saying this to you for years.

In addition, Latin America includes countries in the Caribbean. I would find it surprising for someone in Cuba, for instance, to tell me they are also American. Which countries are you talking about?

Another way to respond: "Soy norteamericano."

Quote: (06-21-2014 09:06 AM)The_CEO Wrote:  

Another way to respond: "Soy norteamericano."

In Argentina is rare to find anyone calling "Americano" to someone from the USA. We usually use "norteamericano" (wich is also wrong, beacuse Canada is also in North America, and Mexico depending of some geography books), estadounidense, or Yanki (wich, if i am not wrong, it is also wrong, it was used to call the people from the north-east states, right?). But yes, it irks some people (i learnt to ignore it), but it is nothing to serious.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

America (Americas is a broad term) its actually mean anyone from the New World . From Canada to the South America including Caribbean.

Also, in Latin America they don't count North and South America as two different continents -- it's only one.

Probably adds to the confusion of the matter.

I've also heard people say Negro-Americano or Afro-Americano, and never heard anyone from Latin America question these terms or get offended.

Every thing down to Panama is technically part of North America.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (06-21-2014 10:17 AM)Mekorig Wrote:  

Yanki (wich, if i am not wrong, it is also wrong, it was used to call the people from the north-east states, right?).

Yeah. In Russia too I've heard "Yankee go home!" which is funny, because I try to explain that where I come from Yankee is very insulting too (Texas).

The only latinos I know who get bent out of shape with the whole "you're not the only americans" thing are chileans and argentinians. It doesnt make sense to me. They would never travel to Asia for example and introduce themselves as Americans. They would say im Chile or Im Argentinian. So why would they not expect us to say Im American? Its a term that is well-known and understood to refer to inhabitants of the USA especially post world war 2. Opposition to this use comes across as envious and displays an inferiority complex imho.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Blame Amerigo Vespucci.

You could also try: "Soy Americano, como uds.!" and see how that goes.