rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tethering and Portable Hotspot options

How are you guys getting internet access on the go? Are you tethering to your cellphone data? Or do you use a portable wifi hotspot?

I'm trying to figure out our connectivity needs for work. I think we need a family cell phone plan with unlimited shared data. Then just use the phones to tether our laptops and share files through dropbox?

How are you guys doing it these days?

Team Nachos

I just use the hotspot on my phone when using the laptop in the truck.

Theres always options if you are on a truly unlimited plan with your service provider that happens to be "grandfathered" and you happen to have an Android device you may root it and install a wifi hot spot app that will make them believe youre using the data within your phone and not tethering the difference between that is that companies know when you tether straight from your phone and you might get over charged or in some case it will stop working after certain MBs used.

There's also a few hot spot devices that are lets say $50 a month for unlimited 4G on up to 5 devices a good example is the H20 Bolt Spider,if you go this route check the coverage on the areas you're usually at
[Image: h2oboltspider.jpg]

The other option that I've personally used is purchase an unlocked GSM phone from Amazon either BLU or Maxwest decent brands at decent prices
Activate it with T-Mobile on the $35 Plan the one that has unlimited data and unlimited texts and I believe 250 mins (this plan is only offered via web so be careful it differs from another plan they have with the same price, this same mentioned plan has a $15 option for unlimited tethering which it comes out to a $50 a month and its also 4G Ive used and have streamed soccer games on my laptop from there with no trouble..

Funny to see this topic mentioned here. I've been looking into this for the past few days myself trying to tether my MetroPCS Freeform 3 to my computer. I haven't had any luck finding any compatible software or drivers though. If you really want to look into this stuff the best place off the top of my head would be the Howard Forums. In my opinion it's hands down one of the best resources I've seen so far.

It isn't written all that clearly, but my understanding of the new Mac updates this fall gives MacBooks the ability to tether to IPhones for free. That's my understanding, it doesn't explicitly state that it will be free on apple's update page.

If someone knows better please inform me because I am interested.

Yeah, I tether. It can be a real life saver especially if you're trying to do work from a remote location in a random country. My phone is jailbroken. I use an app called "tetherme" which allows me to tether from anywhere.

I still have the truly unlimited Verizon data plan. I surf the web a lot on my phone (Droid 4) which suits my needs pretty well.

I've only used the tethering app a few times. Mostly when land based internet isn't available. Honestly with 4g I can hobble by quite well. I just need to be careful because I can kill my phone with enough pushing.

Probably would have saved some cash getting rid of cable and using my phone as my primary device.

I ran across a new deal yesterday that seems decent. Red Pocket wireless sells data on the T-Mobile network for as little as $5 for 512 MB. $10 for 1GB, etc. The only downside is they just sell you the SIM, it's on you to find an unlocked hotspot or aircard.
http://goredpocket.com/plans#gsmt-mi

Walmart sells a 3G only hotspot running on the Sprint network under the name "Internet On The Go" which is unique that in addition to regular old monthly megabytes that expire, they also have data that can be purchased and rolls over each month!
http://www.internet-go.com/#plan

For the FREE option, purchase a hotspot from FreedomPop. If you are in a WiMAX covered area you will not pay ANYTHING per month, I currently have one of these active right now as proof. Just pay for the device. If you have no WiMAX but still want a freebie you can purchase FP's LTE hotspot for $150. The WiMAX devices are nearly free to buy. You get 500 MB free each month, but it can be boosted up to 1 GB by using their freedom friends feature. Several deal sites have a huge list of e-mail addresses you can add to get your extra data gratis. If you have enough freedom friends that actually read their e-mails you can also ask for data from them, although for me this rarely works.
When signing up, BE CAREFUL! They will try to tack on extras per month, that's how they make their money, off of people who don't pay attention to this when signing up.
http://www.freedompop.com

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Bump. Anyone know how to set up a personal hotspot or use tethering on an iphone (not jailbroken)?

Quote: (02-14-2016 03:25 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Bump. Anyone know how to set up a personal hotspot or use tethering on an iphone (not jailbroken)?

Without a jailbreak, it depends on the carrier.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (02-14-2016 04:31 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

I'm using AT&T on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, but my phone is unlocked.

Quote: (02-14-2016 04:37 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Quote: (02-14-2016 04:31 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

>>I'm using AT&T on a grandfathered unlimited data plan<<, but my phone is unlocked.

^^You should be all set then.

Just:

Go into "Settings"
Under "Cellular", you should see the option for "Personal Hotspot"
Enter
Slide the slider to green
You'll get a popup asking if you want to either USB tether or Wifi/Bluetooth tether
Choose which one you want
Start tethering

If you don't see the "Personal Hotspot" option above, call AT&T and ask then to turn it in on for you.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

Looks like I have to call AT&T. Thanks.

Quote: (02-14-2016 07:41 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

Looks like I have to call AT&T. Thanks.

You're welcome. All they need to do is literally flip a switch on their end.

When you tether, I recommend that if you have your iPhone in a protective case to remove it; the phone throws off a lot of heat. 5-10 minutes here or there, is fine, but 15+ minutes, yeah, it's going to heat up.

Also, if you do do a lot of tethering (gigabyte levels), you'll start to see your battery life go down. Excessive heat deteriorates the battery. Just keep that in mind.

If I'm going to tether large amounts, I use an Android phone and keep the back cover off of it.

AT&T won't do it because I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

But if I switch out SIM cards and use different carriers when I travel, this becomes moot?

Quote: (02-15-2016 03:39 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

But if I switch out SIM cards and use different carriers when I travel, this becomes moot?

That's correct, just make sure your phone has been unlocked. If you are going to be in a country, such as the Philippines, make sure the SIM card is a 4g LTE card. They will sell you a 3G or 4G SIM card by default.

When I was there I bought a portable 4G LTE hotspot for about 5,000 pesos. It worked great. I would suggest doing that so you don't use up the juice/battery-life in your phone.

I remember in college times when I moved and didn't have internet at my new place yet, I just tethered my phone to the laptop and used that internet. Burned through the data but didn't mind having a slow internet. Used the tether extensively for a whole month. Then mentioned it to a friend, he told me that there are fees for tethering. I checked the website of my phone carrier and promptly shit a brick when I understood how much I'd have to pay in fees if they caught it. It would've been upward of 2000€. Thankfully, they never mentioned it and I never did it again.

Point of the story: stay safe poverty ghosts

Quote: (02-15-2016 03:39 PM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

First I've heard of that. I'd try again. Have them transfer you to Retentions.

As long as the phone is unlocked >>and the carrier allows tethering<<, then yes, it's moot. Vodafone in Europe for example, has tethering on pretty much all of their plans.

You can always jailbreak your iPhone and install a tethering app like PDANet on it and unofficially tether.

Quote: (02-15-2016 03:54 PM)I DIDNT KILL MY WIFE Wrote:  

I remember in college times when I moved and didn't have internet at my new place yet, I just tethered my phone to the laptop and used that internet. Burned through the data but didn't mind having a slow internet. Used the tether extensively for a whole month. Then mentioned it to a friend, he told me that there are fees for tethering. I checked the website of my phone carrier and promptly shit a brick when I understood how much I'd have to pay in fees if they caught it. It would've been upward of 2000€. Thankfully, they never mentioned it and I never did it again.

Point of the story: stay safe poverty ghosts

Install a tethering app like PDANet on it and unofficially tether. It's your data, you pay for it. Use it as you like.

I've used iPDANet on both iOS and Android when needed for years, never been a problem. Buy the full version and run it in stealth mode. For ~$20, it's well worth it (it's the only app I've ever paid for).

With Verizon you no longer have to root the phone, at least not an Android. I use FoxFi on a non-rooted android, and can wifi tether to my heart's content.

I turn my phone into a wireless hotspot whenever I travel, and my 3 GB per month allotment (usually totally unused) is more than enough to last me a few days. In the worst case, I can always pay a few extra $ and purchase another 3 GB. Finally one good thing about Croatia [Image: biggrin.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (02-15-2016 03:58 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

First I've heard of that. I'd try again. Have them transfer you to Retentions.

Called Retentions, and no dice. I hammered them good, but they're really holding their ground on no tethering for unlimited data plans.

It's not that important right now, but I'll be going with different carriers when I start traveling anyway. In the event I come back to the US, I'll just use a pay-as-you-go traveler sim from t-mobile.

I don't want to jailbreak my iphone yet, since it is only a year old. If it were 3-4 years old, sure.

There are services that specialize in this type of service where the more Gigabytes you buy, the cheaper the service becomes.

I was in the same boat as you. I wound up just jailbreaking with Pangu. It's totally reversible and very very unlikely you'd brick your phone. After that, you just download an app called MyWi which allows wifi, USB, and bluetooth tethering on your unlimited data plan.

I did it this way for a few years until I upgraded to a iPhone 6 64gb. Now I'm on a 15gb plan that allows sharing, but I STILL use MyWi because it's much better at tethering.

CS out of curiosity why are you afraid to jail break the phone?