rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Australia general advice

Australia general advice

Planning a visit to Australia and will arrive in late July or early August. Yes, I read the data sheet and there's some good tips in there, but I'm looking for some more specific info from anyone who's been more recently and can give some updated intel on bars, clubs, lounges, pretty much anything as I know there's tons of churn in the nightlife industry and things change. Me: twenty-something, relatively tall, and half black. Looking to stay in CBD for roughly a week. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Australia general advice

Which CBD?

Australia general advice

Sorry for not specifying, I'll be in Melbourne for majority of my time. I'm from California and don't feel the urge to hit up Sydney, given the intel and advice from friends and such.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-08-2014 08:14 PM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

Sorry for not specifying, I'll be in Melbourne for majority of my time. I'm from California and don't feel the urge to hit up Sydney, given the intel and advice from friends and such.

Visiting Australia and not visiting Sydney?? I'm a Melbournian and even I think it's worth visiting for the tourist side of things, especially in summer time. You'll be arriving in Melb in late winter at the very start of semester 2 of university, keep that in mind. Do a short term rental on an apartment for a week, and do make sure it's in the CBD. PM me closer to your arrival

Australia general advice

Thanks, Deluge. I suppose you're right about visiting Sydney. Melbourne is probably a better fit considering my interests and what not. Weather does not concern me, but could you elaborate on the student situation you referred to?

Australia general advice

I would say that it would be worth checking Sydney out, even if you're going to be here for just a few days.

Since you're a half-black American, if you've got tight game and exhibit some social status, I think you'll do well.

Check out my datasheet: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34544.html

Australia general advice

Thx, Biologist. I read the data sheet and it was informative, but I'm confused because you said it's not a good city for gaming unless you're bankroll is endless or you've got status. I have a friend in Sydney and can roll with him, but I'll be solo for most of the time in OZ. That being said, what's the best strategy for gaming in Sydney? My game is decent, decent looks, relatively tall but this is new territory for me and I know nothing comes for free.

Australia general advice

Sydney is mostly about bankroll and status, especially if you want to get with the upper tier local girls.

As Sydney is extremely multicultural and multiracial, nothing is really considered "exotic" here. That being said, there is a small niche market for black Americans - perhaps something you could take advantage of.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-08-2014 11:41 PM)Biologist Wrote:  

As Sydney is extremely multicultural and multiracial, nothing is really considered "exotic" here. That being said, there is a small niche market for black Americans - perhaps something you could take advantage of.

Melbourne has more black people then Sydney (and soon to be people in general [Image: tongue.gif]), and black people are still "exotic" here. Walk into a club and there will be like two black guys at most unless it's a hip-hop night/club, often times there could easily be zero. The bulk of black people here are East African (Sudanese, Ethiopian etc), so an African American is even more rare. Africans in Australia aren't uncommon though, but they're mostly white South Africans [Image: lol.gif]

Edit:
Quote: (06-08-2014 10:43 PM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

My game is decent, decent looks, relatively tall but this is new territory for me and I know nothing comes for free.

American members I've met have told me Australia is not much different game wise to back home. All were white though.

Australia general advice

I think Alex from RSD said melbourne is the 'clickiest' centre of the world, everyone has their own groups and everyone stays to them.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-09-2014 04:44 AM)Capt. James Cook Wrote:  

I think Alex from RSD said melbourne is the 'clickiest' centre of the world, everyone has their own groups and everyone stays to them.

Doesn't mean tight game can't get you breaking through.

Having lived in Melbourne previously (now in Adelaide), from my experience it is a fairly welcoming city. You walk into a bar, let's say Sydney Road, Brunswick for example, and you're greeted in a genuine and kind fashion, even if you've never set foot in the place before.

I feel most at home in Melbourne. It's a vibrant city, full of creative types and progressive thinkers. Adelaide on the other hand....

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-09-2014 05:03 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

Quote: (06-09-2014 04:44 AM)Capt. James Cook Wrote:  

Doesn't mean tight game can't get you breaking through.

Having lived in Melbourne previously (now in Adelaide), from my experience it is a fairly welcoming city. You walk into a bar, let's say Sydney Road, Brunswick for example, and you're greeted in a genuine and kind fashion, even if you've never set foot in the place before.

I feel most at home in Melbourne. It's a vibrant city, full of creative types and progressive thinkers. Adelaide on the other hand....

Funny, because Sydney Rd and Brunswick in general is supposedly one of the most pretentious places in Melbourne due to it being a hipster capital. People everywhere are tribal, that's just human nature. It's completely understandable to get blown out of a venue in Fitzroy or Brunswick if you walk in wearing an Ed Hardy tank top for example, same way that attire wouldn't fly at a high end venue or a suit wouldn't fly at a trashy suburban club.

Read enough datasheets on the forum and you will quickly realize that every city in the world get's accused of being cliquey and social circle oriented. Well guess what, most people don't go out to clubs/bars to pick up like we do for the most part, they go out with friends to celebrate and have fun. Dealing with that is Game 101 going to back to the god damn Mystery Method and it's not that hard. Most people (myself included) tend to go to the same venues over and over too. It's fun to see some of the same people each time you go there and it makes you look good to girls sometimes but it's not like you need to be a known quality at a venue to pull from there at all. People blow this way out of proportion.

Australia general advice

Thanks guys. For what it's worth, I've seen the definition of 'cliquish' on exhibit in exclusive upscale joints in LA, SF (California b-shields can be serious) and other major cities across the world. So unless a guy is some farmer from a tier 3 city or from the middle of nowhere, it's pretty obvious. But again, it's new to me so your intel is still good. I've never been to any of these venues, so I'm sure it will be fun and good practice if nothing else.

Anyone have updated intel on bars/lounges? Big nightclubs are not my first choice for gaming.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-09-2014 11:00 AM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

Thanks guys. For what it's worth, I've seen the definition of 'cliquish' on exhibit in exclusive upscale joints in LA, SF (California b-shields can be serious) and other major cities across the world. So unless a guy is some farmer from a tier 3 city or from the middle of nowhere, it's pretty obvious. But again, it's new to me so your intel is still good. I've never been to any of these venues, so I'm sure it will be fun and good practice if nothing else.

Anyone have updated intel on bars/lounges? Big nightclubs are not my first choice for gaming.

Personally I mainly go to clubs except on dates, there's not enough young girls in most bars and not enough sets for me to approach, but each to their own. There's a fuck ton of bars/lounges in Melbourne. You're going to have to be more specific about what kind exactly you're looking for.

Australia general advice

Yo Yo, Lonsdale St.

Australia general advice

Deluge - Thanks, can you name a club or two? If I'm going to a club, it should probably play at least some hip-hop and I can do electro/EDM or whatever but have no clue on what's what. I've looked online a bit and haven't found a ton of clear info, so a local's advice would be clutch. PM me if that's easier, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Que- I believe I will be in the general area of Lonsdale street. What are some decent watering holes? Bars and lounges that are relevant and draw a good female audience?

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-09-2014 11:44 AM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

Yo Yo, Lonsdale St.

For amazoncrime, Yo Yo is a hip hop club, never been myself.

Quote: (06-09-2014 07:50 PM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

Deluge - Thanks, can you name a club or two? If I'm going to a club, it should probably play at least some hip-hop and I can do electro/EDM or whatever but have no clue on what's what.

What kind of girls and crowd are you looking for? Just mainstream or anything special?

Australia general advice

Aha, now it makes sense. Is probably say mainstream as a catch-all, hipsters are cool I guess but don't want to chase that type too hard. Generally, prefer professional females over student crowd. A lot of major cities have spots playing nothing but radio hits and other noise, so if you know something that's a little different, I'm open to that.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-09-2014 09:26 PM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

Aha, now it makes sense. Is probably say mainstream as a catch-all, hipsters are cool I guess but don't want to chase that type too hard. Generally, prefer professional females over student crowd. A lot of major cities have spots playing nothing but radio hits and other noise, so if you know something that's a little different, I'm open to that.

Cool, I got a lot on this week, I'll PM you some specific advice on the weekend.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-10-2014 06:00 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Quote: (06-09-2014 09:26 PM)amazoncrime Wrote:  

Cool, I got a lot on this week, I'll PM you some specific advice on the weekend.

In Melbourne the game plan is to hit up clubs or high volume bars to pull or get numbers and then use the cool little bars to your advantage on dates.

Pick up joints:
Eurotrash - Tuesday
Asian Beer Cafe (warm up venue)
Spice Market - Thursday
Love Story (The Toff) - Thursday
The Carlton - Friday
Motel - Friday/Saturday
Rooftop - Friday/Saturday
Yo Yo - Saturday
The Long Room - Saturday *Older crowd*
Silk Road - Saturday *Older crowd*

Too hard:
Baroq (no one ever gets laid here, not even the pretty boys)

Date joints:
Innumerable. Some of my favs were Sista Bella, e-55, District 8, The Carlton Club, Prudence, The Red Mockingbird, Gin Palace, Madame Brussels.

Australia general advice

Nice intel you've put together, that was just what I was looking for! And the challenge Baroq presents makes me want to check it for myself but there's plenty of spots without a disclaimer and I'd rather not waste time if there are other options. For the record, could you please define "older crowd", how old are we talking here?

Australia general advice

Baroq extremely cliquish with girls wanting to look hot rather than bang. Rare to see make out. V common to not receive any smiles on approach. Bouncers screen at door based on looks and dress attire so talent is v high. Been there maybe 10-15 times.

Older crowd is 25+ for Long Room, more like 30+ for Silk Road.

Australia general advice

There's a club/bar in the Melbourne central mall. It's called the Lion or something like that, it's not bad. I don't know what it's like rolling solo but they have a tendency in Melbourne to turn down groups or pairs of guys. Even just me and my buddy got turned away until we could pretend we were with some girls.

Australia general advice

^ The Lion is low quality. Anything above a 5 there is a surprise.

Melbourne is very strict on dudes. You will be KB'd at many places unless you wear a long sleeved shirt with nice shoes and/or have girls with you. Always bring ID. If you don't have girls, do not attempt to enter by yourself nor with 2 or more friends. Always go with one mate.

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-11-2014 06:56 AM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

^ The Lion is low quality. Anything above a 5 there is a surprise.

Melbourne is very strict on dudes. You will be KB'd at many places unless you wear a long sleeved shirt with nice shoes and/or have girls with you. Always bring ID. If you don't have girls, do not attempt to enter by yourself nor with 2 or more friends. Always go with one mate.

Melbourne Central Lion Hotel is what it's called and I don't know why that even rates a mention here, it's rubbish as a club and below average as a pub.

+1 to Baroq being attention whore central. The pretentiousness and entitlement factor is off the charts too. Last (and only) time I went, I was dressed to the nines and doubt I still would've gotten in were I not accompanied by 2 somewhat attractive female friends dolled up and showing lots of skin. Even then we had to mention a guest list. Did notice the occasional makeout but my friend's brother has solid game, dresses well, is built, is a promoter, etc.
Apart from that you'll be very lucky to be given the time of day.

Unless you're here for an extended period or are invited there for an event, I'd move on.

Can concur with the club strictness thing. Having said that, here are the following places off the top of my head that I got let in solo:

Spice Market - Just below Baroq and Silk Road in terms of pretentiousness and exclusivity. Generally older clientele though a guy in his mid/late 20s won't stand out. I wore a jacket and good shoes though.

Trak Centre - Another supposedly "nice-shoes-and-arm-candy" sort of venue, I've entered solo without either of those. OK, I wore a jacket and a smart shirt, but even then that's overdoing it. Mainly pulls a considerably younger, Eastern-suburbs, privately educated crowd. One of those clubs with massive spaces and little else in substance -- it's literally a cavern inside. You'll find a DJ headlining an act every now and then.

Royal Melbourne Hotel - Attracts lots of alternative types. Much more down to earth than Baroq et al., though you'd be have to have a thing for tattoos and metalheads. Dressing up isn't mandatory.

The Night Cat - A jazz club more than a "traditional" club in that it has live music. Attracts a slightly older crowd too and talent is a bit hit and miss. Usually no cover charge.

The Prince Bandroom - Oh prince. Home to many a legendary live act, the club element draws a much more mainstream crowd. Dressing up will get you laughed at.

Tl;dr -- yes Melbourne nightspots are anal on dudes, clubs more so. But while I've heard the "if you're rocking up without chicks or another mate, don't bother" line, it's simply not always true. Maybe they just liked the look of me, I don't know.

amazoncrime I'm happy to give you a hand in a few days. I was never a huge club person so you're better off getting bar advice off me.