rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going to live in Spain ¿any advice?

Hi guys!

I have visited Spain many times ,I have been in Barcelona,Madrid,Valencia,Alicante,Murcia,Sevilla..and all I can say is that I love it! I love the country,the people,the lifestyle..everything!

I will move this summer to Madrid to look for a job,and dont worry,I have saved enough money.

I have one friend that will create a start up in Madrid so I will probably work on it

My doubts are:

What can I do to get the nationality?

I have been looking in the internet and I have found some interesting stuff about expats who are coming to live in Spain,I have noticed that more and more young people specially from western countries are coming to live there

this is the website of the guy of that video:

http://www.aroundtheworldin80jobs.com/li...-in-spain/

http://www.aroundtheworldin80jobs.com/re...good-idea/

PD: For those who say that Spain is in crisis,now the country is starting to recover,but obviously it wont come back to the levels before the crisis.I wont change my mind to go to Spain to live.

Don't eat paella.
Don't drink sangria, especially the bottled one.
Try to speak spanish.

Quote: (06-05-2014 02:02 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

Say whaaa on paella? Haha. I love that stuff

Economy is shit at the moment (especially for young people), prepare yourself for a long job search. Speak Spanish fluently.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.
why dont eat paella? its delicious dude!lol
Quote: (06-05-2014 02:56 PM)void Wrote:  

Economy is shit at the moment (especially for young people), prepare yourself for a long job search. Speak Spanish fluently.

the economy as people say nowadays from Spain and the media,both say that is recovering.

Also,friends who are living there,say that if you're stubborn and ambitious looking for a job,you can find it,and also with career promotion.

I'm Spanish studying in the UK but spend my holidays back home here in Spain. You will struggle when looking for a job. If you don't have a degree then I hope you are billingual or better (German is of a considerably higher demand than English). If you do get a job it will most probably be in the tourism sector where speaking more than one language is key.

As for the nationality I believe you need to be a resident for at least 5 years. However, some countries have agreements with Spain (such as in South America) to get the nationality at an earlier stage.

I recently landed a summer job through contacts. If it wasn't through a contact I would have close to 0% chance of getting a job anywhere for the summer season as a Spanish resident speaking English, Spanish and Catalan. Completed high school and on my first year of Computer Science.

Also why are you going for Madrid? I honestly suggest cities such as Valencia, Mallorca and Barcelona if you are going to move to Spain for the beach.

Quote: (06-05-2014 02:04 PM)Brosemite Wrote:  

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

me too, but only 1 out of 100 restaurants will do it properly.

Quote: (06-05-2014 03:02 PM)Bratusek Wrote:  

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

the economy as people say nowadays from Spain and the media,both say that is recovering.

Also,friends who are living there,say that if you're stubborn and ambitious looking for a job,you can find it,and also with career promotion.

It is recovering, just like portuguese economy, however it's still in the shitter. It doesn't really matter if you're 5cm under the surface or 5m. in the end, you're still covered in shit.

Quote: (06-05-2014 04:56 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

It is recovering, just like portuguese economy, however it's still in the shitter. It doesn't really matter if you're 5cm under the surface or 5m. in the end, you're still covered in shit.

are you from spanish/portuguese origin?

Quote: (06-06-2014 04:03 PM)Bratusek Wrote:  

Quote: (06-05-2014 04:56 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

Don't eat paella.
Try to speak spanish.

are you from spanish/portuguese origin?

yes, both actually, but i live in Lisbon

What's so great about Spain? Lots of other spanish speaking countries out there.

enjoy the sangia, at least in the restaurants where its made fresh with the fruit soaking overnight.

enjoy the local women, nothing sexier than a pretty girl with a castillian spanish accent. during the summer plenty of European tourists, my friends and i hooked up with some swedish girls last time i was in barcelona

take advantage of the tourism to make $$$. give local nightlife tours/ pickup tips tailored to specific bars/clubs to all the single guys. pickup coaching.

I'm also Spanish and I concur with those saying that the economy is shit at the moment. I suggest you learn Spanish first and you try to pick up some contacts before searching for jobs here (I guess it also depends on what kind of job you want to do).

As for the paella thing, if you try it somewhere in the "Comunidad Valenciana", it will be properly done 99% of the time, whereas in places like Madrid or Barcelona... not so much.

To be honest I wouldn't quite recommend Spain for long term living right now. There's other cool places in Europe that are cheaper and probably have better job opportunities (Poland, Romania, Croatia...etc). Also Eastern European women >> Mediterranean Women, although that's just my opinon

The main strong aspects of Spain are the lifestyle, culture, climate (which I hate- it's too warm during 4-5 months of the year) and perhaps women if you come from the US (can't really tell, since I've never been there).

If the startup gig works or you find a job I think you can apply for a working visa, but I'm not really sure.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

I lived in both Cadiz and Valencia and I would move back to either of those in heartbeat - great weather, friendly people and a laid-back lifestyle.

If you are working on a start-up then definitely base yourself in either Madrid or Barcelona. Then again, if its an online venture then you can live wherever you please.

Ask some more specific questions and we'll help you out.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

I thought unemployment in Spain was over 20%, and even higher for the under 30s.......although would imagine that this varies wildly region to region, and I would envisage far more employment opportunities in Madrid.......than in some of the Tier 2 and 3 cities

Unemployment must be higher than 20%, which seems low to me.

What is the word on Ibiza?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

25.93% in first quarter of 2014....so the stats say..........

Quote: (06-12-2014 11:29 AM)sportbilly Wrote:  

25.93% in first quarter of 2014....so the stats say..........

Which probably means it is alot higher.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

perhaps...but also could be a lot of people claiming "unemployment" benefits and being paid "cash in hand".

how is everyone getting by underemployed? does spain have decent benefits?

Unemployment under the youth is around 50%, if you go be prepared. It is a good place to go on vacation. Not a good place to live atm. I don't think the economic situation is going to improve any time soon.

I think people are not really getting by, that is why many Spanish are moving both to Europe and to Spanish speaking countries in South America.

Great thread....I leave for Spain in almost 3 weeks.

I will try to update the Barcelona date sheet.

Whatever the official stats are, the real unemployment rates are a bit higher since many people don't receive any more help from the state. Unemployment in the youth is definetly 50% aprox. The government says that the economy is improving and that unemployment is decreasing, but this is mainly because people are leaving the country and others have just used up all the state aid. Europe is pretty much flooded with young Spaniards that leave home as soon as they finish college. Most of them go to the UK, France or Germany but recently more and more are moving to E.European countries like Poland or CR. Unerground economy is also very big and it is very common to buy goods/services without paying taxes.

Truth is, if you go to any major city, you probably won't see too many symptoms of a country in crisis. People still go to malls, bars, clubs etc. If this was any other country, there would be massive protests and probably even more violence (e.g a bit like in Brazil or Greece) but perhaps due to our "laid back" mentality we are slightly more passive, although things are slowly changing.

Overall, I'd say if you like the culture, country etc, go for it, but it is definitely not the best moment. I wouldn't cross out the option of going somewhere else in Europe.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Tough to get a a job in bcn even before the crisis hit.
spanish girls are fun to drink with but the easiest notched was definatly with the swedish girls who hang out around the skater bars .

Quote: (06-12-2014 08:52 PM)mandatoryhoes Wrote:  

Tough to get a a job in bcn even before the crisis hit.
spanish girls are fun to drink with but the easiest notched was definatly with the swedish girls who hang out around the skater bars .

does the weak economy equate to lower rents? Maybe I can buy a condo for 30,000 USD? I have EU citizenship, even if I can't get the girls at least they won't be like hostile American androgynes...