rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

why are lemons and limes so expensive in the states right now?

Its weird how the price skyrocketed in the last few months. Limes are $.50 each and lemons are $.75 each. A few months back limes were like 6 for a dollar. Wtf?

There's a worldwide shortage, the Mexican cartel got in on it and has controlled prices. I'm not even kidding, that's the funny part.

However, its pretty much over, prices were as high as $1.50 per lime at one point.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

Not to mention inflation from QE.

Quote: (05-28-2014 01:35 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

There's a worldwide shortage, the Mexican cartel got in on it and has controlled prices. I'm not even kidding, that's the funny part.

However, its pretty much over, prices were as high as $1.50 per lime at one point.

haha. I wasn't expecting the cartels to be behind this. Those bastards!

I have a lemon and lime tree in my yard. As well as two orange and an avocado tree.

I give away all the avocados. And most of the lemons (shit I should have opened a stand and charged a quarter each). The oranges I use in smoothies.

Quote: (05-28-2014 01:35 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

I notice teh same thing used to always be like 10 or 20 for $1, now your lucky if its like 3 for $1. The other day I paid 49 cents for a lime.

My girl is Mexican her dad is always talking about this. I thought it was crazy at first and would always make fun ofthem when we were drining like ration those limes the cartel is driving prices up but then did some research and yes it is indeed true lol

I have a friend that has a lime import business. I'll ask him.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Fuck I googled it and Epic was right: Full story here

Quote:Quote:

Limes are an essential ingredient in much of Mexican cuisine, and one of the country's key exports.

The green citrus fruits are largely grown in one specific region: the state of Michoacán in the country's southwest. And that's where a cartel called the Knights Templar has been elbowing in.

They're basically extorting the famers and it's very astute actually.

The military and Federales down there are useless. If I were a 20-something man in Mexico I'd be looking for join a cartel and work my way up.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Holy shit. I noticed they'd been getting more expensive but hadn't really clued into what is going on. But Kim Kardashian is getting married *squee* a shiny!

yeah, it sucks, here at the grocery store they were 1.25 each. I cant even get my favorite club soda and lime at dinner now, the restaurants only have lemons.

Yeah its Mexican mafia.

Just spent the last 6 months in Mexico and its all over the news there.

Their next target could be lettuce, broccoli, tomato's or squash.

So many farmers in California's Imperial and Palo Verde Valley's along with the Gila Valley in Arizona have sold their water rights to cities like LA, Vegas and Phoenix that they no longer grow these vegetable staples. About 100% of American lettuce in winter came from these areas.

Now, the Salinas area grows about 10% of our winter lettuce, tomato's etc. The rest is imported from Mexico.

I love squash, but it has hovered near $2 a pound. It used to be 99 cents a pound. If they gained control of these -- salads would be exorbitant. And dammit I love me a good salad.

Great material for elderly chat.

^^^especially for opening Mexican girls at the Mexican markets I shop at, where the price really hasn't changed

I used to think it was just seasonal. At my local Mexi-Mart, limes went from 7/$1 to 3/$1.
Must be global warmening.

Yep, it's the cartels.

I was joking about this with a friend last week. We we're talking about how Corona is a shitty beer, but you don't realize it because they always serve it to you with a lime at the bar or when you buy it yourself.

It wasn't the end of the world because Corona is reasonably priced at around $7-8 for a six pack, plus the price of a lime, but now you have to shell out more for a lime so you really have to take into consideration the price of lime's when buying Corona, if you actually we're to buy it.

yeah corona tastes like piss water.

Corona is the Milwaukee's Best of Mexico. Mexicans don't drink it.

On that note, Aussies don't drink Foster's either.

A drought destroyed much of the crop. This drove up prices which later attracted the cartels to muscle their way in to extort growers and take over distribution networks.

The drought came first.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Inflation and strategic in balances will cause major volatility in food prices. Remember a few years when Honey are escalating higher then gasoline? I believe a major bee die-off sparked price or something but it took a wile before they finally cooled back down. China came to the rescue by trolling and expanding its honey production and now has become the largest producers of honey globally and help sink prices back down, best believe the Chinese are planting lime crops as we speak.

Lesson:

More money to be made strategically investing in food and crops.

One thing is that Rice has been outperforming stocks for years. If you invested in Rice you would be ahead of the market.

8 or 9 for a dollar here, just checked. I could make myself few mojitos.

Limes were scarce down here too, they are starting to show up more now but for the last two months or so was a serious lime shortage.

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.

Quote: (05-28-2014 01:33 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

Its weird how the price skyrocketed in the last few months. Limes are $.50 each and lemons are $.75 each. A few months back limes were like 6 for a dollar. Wtf?

Are you kidding???Waaw. Just waw!

Quote: (05-29-2014 06:09 AM)funkyzeit Wrote:  

where?

Quote: (05-29-2014 07:24 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

Quote: (05-29-2014 06:09 AM)funkyzeit Wrote:  

where?

I was shopping at my local Mexican markets yesterday. Both had limes for sale 2 pounds for $.99. I didn't buy any because I had stocked up last week when they were 3 pounds for $.99. Typically produce is 1/4 to 1/3 the price at Mexican markets compared to the gringo markets. Lemons are typically more expensive than limes, but still almost always cheaper.