rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving - Bypassing Broker Fee

Any advice from nyers to a nyer on bypassing a broker fee when moving. Id prefer to take it in the ass than give a talentless leach a months rent. Been focusing on craigslist now. Full of these mofos. Owners too lazy to do the work themselves so its been tough finding owner listed vacancies. Any advice? Thx

removed

If you want to be in a high rise on the UES. Try Glenwood Management. They own tons of buildings and some in other parts of the city.

I found a nice parlor apt in Carrol Gardens a couple years ago on Craigs List directly from the owner.

There's also lot's of no fee apartment websites out there. You could use StreetEasy.com and search No Fee as well.

I hear what you're saying about not using a broker. Sometimes it's worth it if you're going to be staying in the place for a few years because the rent should be lower with a broker. They will always try and move you into some shithole they can't rent. You need to hold out, eat up their time until they are ready to give up the goods.

Yes. Try Streeteasy.com. Select Rentals, then "no fee". GREAT site for renters and buyers alike!

You'll have better luck with larger apartment complexes where you can lease directly from the management company. If you want to be in a brown stone or a specific neighborhood it seems that you just have to eat it and pay the fee. A lot of postings on Craigslist will say no fee, but will actually be by brokers with a fee, so as others have said street easy is a better source.

Standard fee these days is 15%, but I've been able to negotiate that to about 12% in the past. This is probably the worst time of the year to be moving with college kids graduating, getting internships and what have you.

November and December are the best months to move in NYC, so if you have the option to wait it out for a bit that could help as well.

Thanks gents. Looking at outerboroughs. Going to try to get in touch with building managers but I might have to deal with the fuckers. Reminds me of a Tyson quote.." I mean, I been robbed of my most of my money, can I at least get a blowjob...."...crooks I tell ya.

Bear in mind that you pay one way or another: Apartment complexes that rent with "no fee" typically charge a higher price per month, also, they tend to jack up the rent like crazy the second year. So, if you expect to be in the place more than a year or two, you might save money by paying the fee. I paid a fee once in NYC to rent a BEAUTIFUL condo. The owner was an investor who lived overseas. He just wanted a clean, safe mature tenant who wouldn't wreck the place. I got a rock-bottom rent...and then he didn't increase it for 5 years!

removed