rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New Gym Shoe Suggestions?

I need a new gym shoe.

In the past, I've just taken whatever old shoes I had, and used those as my gym shoes, but now I'm doing a ton more running and leg exercises. As a consequence, the treads on my old shoes have actually worn off and I slide a bit when pushing a tire on flat surfaces. Plus, I'm just spending a lot more time at the gym.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good gym & running shoe?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Nike freeruns, no questions asked.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

Quote: (05-17-2014 02:21 PM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

I need a new gym shoe.

In the past, I've just taken whatever old shoes I had, and used those as my gym shoes, but now I'm doing a ton more running and leg exercises. As a consequence, the treads on my old shoes have actually worn off and I slide a bit when pushing a tire on flat surfaces. Plus, I'm just spending a lot more time at the gym.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good gym & running shoe?

Just depends on what you want to use them for. Personally, I use Nike Air Pegasus 29s. They are a little more supportive than Nike Free's, but that is just my opinion. Just don't wear those damn shoes that have individual toes or what not, might as well bring your purse in too then lol. Good luck boss.

Converse or anything flat. If you go somewhere relatively clean work out barefoot and use sandals to walk around

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

+1 on the Free runs. Just picked these bad boys up today, love them.

[Image: hXEQyQvl.jpg]

The Adidas powerlift 2.0 really helped my squat/deadlift game, would recommend.

I use Nike Free for all other athletic purposes. Love them but I'm sure there's better.

Quote: (05-17-2014 05:11 PM)Felix Wrote:  

The Adidas powerlift 2.0 really helped my squat/deadlift game, would recommend.

I use Nike Free for all other athletic purposes. Love them but I'm sure there's better.
Yeah I have the Nike romaleos for oly/squats, love em to bits.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

For running shoes:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

Local shop fitted me with some bad ass new balance running shoes, my feet kick a bit inward, the shoes adjusted that.

Lifting shoes, I've got Vans Authentic classics and the Classic Chuck Taylor High Tops. Screw spending $100+

I love the Converses, but I always thought of them as a good casual shoe more than a workout shoe.

The freeruns look nice, but what about them do you love?

Also, I wasn't planning on getting them, but why do 5-toed shoes get so much hate?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Mizuno Wave Evo Levitas

[Image: mizuno-evo-levitas-trails.jpg]

As minimal running shoes with zero drop, I find them very comfortable for squatting and deadlifts. Great for wind sprints. They also look fucking good, quite unique. Wear them w/ khaki shorts and you don't look like a complete douchebag.

I get compliments on them all the time.

The others that gave me a ton more compliments were the New Balance xc 900s, which you can find cheap more easily.

[Image: NewBalance-XC900-trails.jpg]

Also minimal drop. Only problem is the stitching came undone at the forefoot, so bad I could stick my whole foot through it. I would buy them again in spite of their being so poorly constructed, but not use them to run (ironically). Good looking as fuck.

If you couldn't guess my favorite esthetic with all shoes is thin soles, even if they're not as practical in different situations. Only exception is basketball, of course. What I love about the xc's is they're literally spikeless track shoes, and track shoes look baller.

I am getting myself powerlifting shoes. Their good if you are doing squats with heavy weights and I also like doing olympic lifting exercises.
[Image: adidas-Powerlift-2-lead.jpg]
I will need another running shoes for warm up, for that I have Nike Pegasus 29.

for running shoes...I would only ever wear Asics. Not as "fashionable" as Nike / Adidas perhaps, however, I have tried them all and think the best ride is with the Asics....my personal choice would be the "Nimbus".

My tactic is rotate my shoes....buy a new pair and use them solely for running outdoor (or on the treadmill).....then when the cushioning starts to go (between 3 and 6 months pending on the miles/kilometres you put through them).....use them in the gym for weight training days / cycling, ie - none impact.

ps - I once trained for an Ultra distance event and was running 100 km a week......the shoes were trashed in no more than 6-8 weeks!

Reebok CrossFit Nano is supposed be designed for running and lifting, heard good things about them.

I don't see any issues with stuff like Vibram 5 Fingers

Quote: (05-18-2014 03:04 PM)LeBeau Wrote:  

I don't see any issues with stuff like Vibram 5 Fingers

its the geekiest shoe of all dude

I am partial to spike less cross country shoes.

Running Warehouse

Flat 0 drop shoe that is good for general workouts and sprinting. They have minimal cushioning so running more then a couple of miles may get uncomfortable. Cheap i.e. prices for them are generally reasonable and they come up on sale a lot. These style shoes do run narrow, if you have a real wide foot they many not work. I have gone through 2 pairs of the Brooks Mach series and like them a lot. I recently picked up the Saucony for $40 and will go with them when my current pair of Brooks are done in.

I recently picked up some Nike Romaleo 2s. I like them a lot for squats. I wouldn't use them for anything besides lifting, though.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

With zero drop shoes if you land on the toes or mid foot, you can run for more than that. They are not designed for shod running on the heels.

I'd like something like minimus but wider toe box for spreading. I don't like running but more for sprinting and lifting.

I am thinking about getting a pair of powerlifting shoes as well. I was thinking either the Romaleos 2 or the Adipowers.

To those guys who do have powerlifting shoes, what exercises do you wear them for? Do you do only squats? Or do you pretty much do your entire weightlifting workout in them?

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Quote: (08-17-2014 03:29 PM)objectivist tree Wrote:  

I am thinking about getting a pair of powerlifting shoes as well. I was thinking either the Romaleos 2 or the Adipowers.

To those guys who do have powerlifting shoes, what exercises do you wear them for? Do you do only squats? Or do you pretty much do your entire weightlifting workout in them?

By Powerlifting shoes do you mean the kind with the raised heel? They're usually called Olympic Lifting shoes.

And yeah their only useful for squats and olympic lifts obviously. Doesn't really matter whether you wear them for other things. Definitely want to take them off for Deadlifts and OHP though

Quote: (08-17-2014 08:31 PM)thedavidgt Wrote:  

Quote: (08-17-2014 03:29 PM)objectivist tree Wrote:  

By Powerlifting shoes do you mean the kind with the raised heel? They're usually called Olympic Lifting shoes.

And yeah their only useful for squats and olympic lifts obviously. Doesn't really matter whether you wear them for other things. Definitely want to take them off for Deadlifts and OHP though

I've heard people say to leave them on for deadlifts and the military press.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Olympic lifting shoes fucked up my squat. The raised heel allows you to squat deeper than your ankle mobility allows in flats. This is great for cleans and snatches where you catch the weight in a deep squat and you should squat with them when you're training those movements so that you nail that portion of the lift. If you're not actively training the olympic lifts though I'd recommend doing everything in flats so that you can feel the limits of your mobility and work on it separately. I had to spend some time retraining my body to do squats in flats but now I squat deeper with better form than I did in olympic shoes.

Chucks for lifting. I don't run so don't know about running shoes.