rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

May 2014 - Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Krakow, Riga and Kiev

Will be traveling to Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Krakow, Riga and Kiev starting May 8th.

I researched each city on this forum but other than a data sheet for Budapest from last year, it appears a lot of the info may be dated. Given clubs, bars and restaurants come and go in popularity and quality, I wanted to seek recommendations on what are the hotspots for 2014. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Would like recommendations on the following for each of the above-referenced cities using the the following criterias: i Quality experience; and ii. Cost is not a factor.

1. Accommodations: Name of the part of town to stay that is centrally located. If known, specific name of hotel or condo/flat. Location, comfort and safety.

2. Clubs/Bars: Name of places and a detailed and specific description of why you would recommend it. The more descriptive the more it would be helpful. No need for a laundry list, just the one or two you would recommend and why would be appreciated.

3. Restaurant/dishes: Name of places AND dishes you would recommend there. Strong preference of taste over atmosphere since we are men. Hole in the wall places are all good so long as the food is great.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated recommendations.

I'm doing the first four of those cities in July.

@ Que Enspastic: Glad to hear I am on the right track. Any particular reason, you would like to share, as to why you chose each of your cities? Other than the culture, architecture and history, that is.

Quote: (05-03-2014 02:25 AM)3z3z Wrote:  

Will be traveling to Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Krakow, Riga and Kiev starting May 8th.

I researched each city on this forum but other than a data sheet for Budapest from last year, it appears a lot of the info may be dated. Given clubs, bars and restaurants come and go in popularity and quality, I wanted to seek recommendations on what are the hotspots for 2014. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Would like recommendations on the following for each of the above-referenced cities using the the following criterias: i Quality experience; and ii. Cost is not a factor.

1. Accommodations: Name of the part of town to stay that is centrally located. If known, specific name of hotel or condo/flat. Location, comfort and safety.

2. Clubs/Bars: Name of places and a detailed and specific description of why you would recommend it. The more descriptive the more it would be helpful. No need for a laundry list, just the one or two you would recommend and why would be appreciated.

3. Restaurant/dishes: Name of places AND dishes you would recommend there. Strong preference of taste over atmosphere since we are men. Hole in the wall places are all good so long as the food is great.

You sure you want to visit Kiev at this time? With a civil war looming and dozens dead in East Ukraine and south (Odessa) not sure if too many ladies will be in the mood to party. I was there last year and the party atmosphere was OK but even then Maidan was showing the strains of protests.
If I were you I would instead spend more time partying in Riga and perhaps make your way to nearby Tallinn or Vilnius.

Quote: (05-03-2014 02:25 AM)3z3z Wrote:  

@ TripleG: Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, going to Kiev is not a good idea right now. Had a dream list of cities to hit after returning from an amazing adventure in Brazil and Kiev went on and off the list a few times due to the concerns you raised, with the hope things simmered down. The maxim, play smart to party another day comes to mind and is certainly the right decision. The not so rational side of this man versus himself dialogue is pointing out: Dude, you are so close and it cannot be the epic trip without Kiev; It is Kiev. The talent, apparently being off the charts, justifies a stealth entry and exit to test waters for a longer excursion in the future, besides all the drama is to the far far east and far south; etc. That said, both Vilnius and Tallin were alternate options, which is nothing to shake a stick at, so once again, I think I am on the right track given your suggestions. Thank you.

Tempting to go Kiev, but I would stay away from that place. Although most of the fighting is in the East, it's simply not safe. If you have a friend who speaks good russian or ukrainian then it would be a better option.

Prague is a beautiful city, it has become corrupted, even in the last 4-5 years, more like the Western European cities. Food is good, women are beautiful and a great nightlife.

I wanna hit Berlin at some point this year and see the much talked about Artimis FKK club, probably the best club in the world lol

Quote: (05-03-2014 10:14 PM)3z3z Wrote:  

@ TripleG: Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, going to Kiev is not a good idea right now. Had a dream list of cities to hit after returning from an amazing adventure in Brazil and Kiev went on and off the list a few times due to the concerns you raised, with the hope things simmered down. The maxim, play smart to party another day comes to mind and is certainly the right decision. The not so rational side of this man versus himself dialogue is pointing out: Dude, you are so close and it cannot be the epic trip without Kiev; It is Kiev. The talent, apparently being off the charts, justifies a stealth entry and exit to test waters for a longer excursion in the future, besides all the drama is to the far far east and far south; etc. That said, both Vilnius and Tallin were alternate options, which is nothing to shake a stick at, so once again, I think I am on the right track given your suggestions. Thank you.

Give yourself a Kiev bailout option (in case of escalating conflict) - Lviv. It's not yet been affected by the Ukraine turmoil, but local costs have dropped (because of falling currency values). It's really too far away to be drawn into it (save for civic protests).

Do Krakow the Lviv.

But then maybe you ought to don your Hemingway helmet and go to Kiev anyway?

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

@ Constitution45: Thanks for the confirmation. Glad folks are chiming in and being the voice of reason. Safety is indeed first. I do have my fingers crossed, real tight, that things will settle down real quick. Must be real nice to be able to speak Russian/Ukrainian as another language. Thanks for the thumbs up on Prague.

Quote: (05-04-2014 02:26 AM)Constitution45 Wrote:  

Tempting to go Kiev, but I would stay away from that place. Although most of the fighting is in the East, it's simply not safe. If you have a friend who speaks good russian or ukrainian then it would be a better option.

Prague is a beautiful city, it has become corrupted, even in the last 4-5 years, more like the Western European cities. Food is good, women are beautiful and a great nightlife.

@ Banafly: The fruits of: I see. I want. Let me assess, strategize, implement, and conquer (or at least make a respectable attempt) is extremely rewarding. However, it is an interesting option. I believe in respecting the local culture, as well as experiencing what each region has to offer. My buddy who suggested adding Berlin to this epic trip must have had something up his sleeve since he was in charge of the logistics, since Berlin was not one the list until recently. Thats why he is my boy. lol Thanks for your input.

@ Orson: Hemingway is exactly what I was feeling with this man versus himself dilemma. Props for recognizing it. Lviv, as a back up option to Kiev did cross my mind given the info provided by Debauchary and OldNemises. Lviv almost bordering Poland is a real plus for safety check. Only problem is, I will not be able to stay long in any one city hence further internal conflict since action must be real quick.

I am 6'1", 185lbs, above average looks, knows how to turn on the charm, dresses well and money is a non-issue, however I do not have the luxury of time. Thank you for your insight and suggestions.

Quote: (05-04-2014 08:54 AM)Orson Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2014 10:14 PM)3z3z Wrote:  

Give yourself a Kiev bailout option (in case of escalating conflict) - Lviv. It's not yet been affected by the Ukraine turmoil, but local costs have dropped (because of falling currency values). It's really too far away to be drawn into it (save for civic protests).

Do Krakow the Lviv.

But then maybe you ought to don your Hemingway helmet and go to Kiev anyway?