rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Bitch Hunt" 1996 vs. bitch hunt 2011?

Below is a link to an archived article entitled "Bitch Hunt: Why is the District the Home of the Coldest Shoulder in Western Civilization?", which appeared in the October 25, 1996 issue of the Washington City Paper, the Washington, D.C. area's "alternative" free weekly newspaper. The article is by one Catherine Alter, and as far as I know she's actually a woman and not a male writer using a pseudonym; nor, as far as I know, is she a woman acting as a front for a male writer; although the article is so sympathetic to male feelings and the male point of view that I've always had to wonder whether it might actually be the work of a man.

The article examines, mainly through field research in various bars, the bitchiness of D.C.-area women and their massive resistance to being picked up. Now, admittedly, the game of most of the guys portrayed in the article is pretty wretched, and in some cases doesn't even deserve to be called "game" at all; but on the other hand, if the women portrayed had any real motivation to socially bond with men in a bar setting, presumably they'd lower what they expected out of male bargoers at least a little bit.

I'm curious to know rooshvforum readers' views on how much conditions in the Washington, D.C. area have stayed the same and how much they've changed in the fourteen-plus years since this article appeared. Also, how similar to this, or unlike this, would you say conditions were in other parts of the U.S. in 1996?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/artic...bitch-hunt

Washington DC chicks put on an "initial front" and that is all. They WILL break down because the ratio of decent available women is MUCH more than available men. I always thought that the DC area is a great place to meet good women because there are so many here.

C'mon dude, most dudes here were like 10 in 1996.

Having said that, this was the Dark Ages - PUA/DJ stuff wasn't common knowledge. Most guys now have a rudimentary understanding of game thanks to the Internet. A PUA from 2011 would clean up in 1996.

And better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

Great article. I actually think this is true. DC area women are very difficult to deal with. Whats most unfortunate tho is that a lot of women here don't go out. The dating scene here is kinda weird. I always believed that flakiness was due to a lack of interest but I've had a few girls here who said they were very attracted to me not respond to my texts or calls after the initial meeting.

Interesting quotes

"Guys like Tim are supposed to be having the time of their lives in D.C. Urban lore holds that there are something like five single women for every single man in the District. Actually, Census Bureau figures indicate that the odds aren't quite so skewed, but still, for every 100 single women, there are approximately 85 single men. Add in the high number of D.C. guys who don't swing with females of any sort, and D.C. bars should be packed with a massive surplus of women, many of them dying to beat the odds and find a nice fella. But every night in the District men march into the night armed with that juicy numerical advantage and end up collecting countless verbal knees to the groin—courtesy of the bitchiest women north of the Potomac.

What gives? Is the D.C. water more toxic than we imagined?

Begin with the fact that D.C. is one of the least romantic places on the planet—where else does anyone work C-SPAN II into first-date conversation? But it's more insidious than that. The District is a place where people are on guard as a matter of course, a culture where suspicion and cynicism are viewed as adaptive traits. It's a way of living that becomes second nature, so it makes sense that plenty of women pack some serious attitude when they head out for the night."

"That may help explain why women here are so damn picky, but it still doesn't account for why they take such unfettered joy in exercising their fickleness."

Btw. Either those census results are lies or DC area women don't go out because just about every night in this city its a SAUSAGEFEST. Happy hunting tonight! LOL

A sausagefest in DC?

Every time I have went out in DC (now I only do the nightlife during special-event weekends), there were ALWAYS way more women than men.

I do not know where you all are going.

Quote: (01-22-2011 03:23 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

A sausagefest in DC?

Every time I have went out in DC (now I only do the nightlife during special-event weekends), there were ALWAYS way more women than men.

I do not know where you all are going.

I've lived here for over 3 years. Just about every bar and 90 percent of the clubs are majority men. During special events its more even. Since i've been here there has been a handful of nights that i've seen a good ratio.
[Image: 165344_487476041380_44908071380_6043143_3618662_n.jpg]

Ultra Bar

Quote: (01-22-2011 03:32 PM)rakishness Wrote:  

I've lived here for over 3 years. Just about every bar and 90 percent of the clubs are majority men. During special events its more even. Since i've been here there has been a handful of nights that i've seen a good ratio.
[Image: 165344_487476041380_44908071380_6043143_3618662_n.jpg]

Ultra Bar

I'll throw one out there. Let me first say this. When it is cold, DC is not all that vibrant in the bars/clubs. Plus DC ain't Toronto, which can have 20 clubs packed on the same night. Still, try...

Sequoia's in Georgetown

Spinaroonie: First of all, I doubt that roughly 24 or 25 is the average age (the mean, as statisticians say) of RooshV Forum users; nor would I think that that's the age of highest concentration (the mode); nor would I think that mid twenties is the age range of the majority--i.e., more than 50%--of users. I suspect that the mean and the mode (and the median as well, for that matter) are 30 years old or higher, and that the ages of users are widely distributed enough so that no small age range could in and of itself account for more than 50% of the total.

Second, regardless of which central age range, narrow or wide, might be found to encompass more than 50% of the users, it seems to me that you're committing the common--and vicious--fallacy of acting as if "most" is synonymous with "everybody", and, as a corollary, that "a minority" is synonymous with "nobody". I don't care if most users of this forum weren't at least 21 and hanging around in bars in 1996: all I need is a few to comment on my post. (And similarly, I don't care that most users of this forum aren't familiar with the D.C.-area bar scene then or now: again, all I need is a few to comment on my post.)

Third, I wouldn't necessarily call late 1996 the "Dark Ages" of pickup: I'd say "early Renaissance" might be more like it. Let's not forget that in October 1996, when this article appeared, Internet mania had been going full throttle for over a year and a half, and the seminal Ross Jeffries-based alt.seduction.fast newsgroup had been up and running for a couple of years.