rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best albums for metal rhythms

Musicians-
I love playing guitar but I need some inspiration to make my playing better. I find myself having a bluesy metal vibe like Corrosion of Conformity but Inwould like to have a faster more crisp feel that's not cheesy. If anyone can relate I'm all ears for new inspiration.

Also guitar players-
Do you use certain tunings you prefer (been using Drop D flat on a 6 string with 13 gauge sets- and Incan play Maiden and Queenstyche solos on strings that thick btw) but a lot of guys are using 7 and 8 strings now- I imagine that would make them sound like Deftones guitarist Carpenter.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Countdown to extinction from Megadeth.

Immaculately constructed album.

Faster and more crisp? Are you leaning more towards thrash? Something like slayer with a blast blast blast feel or something like megadeth with a bit more of a beat to it? Or something completely different?

Standard 6-string guitar tuned to C (every string down 2 whole steps). The rhythm skills in the intro are obscene.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

I learned most of Kill 'Em All. Fun songs to play, pretty simple but fast.

fast and crisp? Perhaps some early Helloween and Gamma Ray. It wasnt cheesy back then

If you want to learn weird rhythms and time signatures, learn Meshuggah. They're boring but you'll get good at complex picking patterns.

Aziz Nuts in yo mothafuckin' mouth - @aziz_nuts

Preferred tunings: Eb for thrash. Drop D for hardcore. D for death metal.

Drop C is overused these days and everything sounds like Parkway Drive when you use that tuning. Anything below D makes the strings too floppy and then you have to work on intonation/change string gauges/etc. At least that's how it worked with my guitar.

It's hard to come up with anything unique sounding when you use standard tuning. I used to have a 7 string and I liked using either standard B or Bb. An 8 string is too fat for my fingers and the low string sounds muddy/shitty anyway.

Still one of my favorite riffs.

Quote: (04-10-2014 06:22 PM)Aziz Nuts Wrote:  

If you want to learn weird rhythms and time signatures, learn Meshuggah. They're boring but you'll get good at complex picking patterns.

These guys are awesome.

A good friend of lead singer in my old band designs their guitars.

Been to 2 shows in the last few years and they never fail to impress!

Thanks for the replies. I already am a fan of all the popular bands.

Is it just me of do you guys love it when you find a band and they really kick ass and no one knows about them hardly? I was that way with Soils Scars album- I've had discussions with their creative brain Adam Zadel (lead guitarist)- he's a cool Chicago polish dude.

I love that Mesa rectifier early 2000s sound of tone but with a lot of speed- any advice there for albums like that?

Sweet Jones- all of the above- I truly enjoy hearing totally new things.
Make a list- its all about learning new music. That's what inspires me and When I get writers block I get some cool philosophy books and read and the ideas just flow but new records do that for me to. Been listening to a lot of Maiden lately and had a good creative streak from it by I love that Mesa Boogie tone with total ferociousness and speed. Marshls are cool but the bogners and Mesas do it for me.

Ps- Why can Jerry Cantrell take two chords and make it the coolest thing ever? What makes a player that cool stylistically (I'm talkingmd AIC not the newer stuff)?
I always want to at fast- and I definitely have the bluesy metal vibe down like Corrosion of conformitys "Vote with a bullet" that's what my sound is a lot like but I want to have that sophistication of refined simplicity like Cantrell but hit as hard as a grenade on my thrash runs too.

It really depends on what direction you're trying to go.

Do you want to pummel the listener?

Or do you want something more creative and "out there" conceptually?

...or something else?

Some of my favorites...

Finnish Gods!

Quote: (04-10-2014 12:17 AM)Tideride Wrote:  

Also guitar players-
Do you use certain tunings you prefer (been using Drop D flat on a 6 string with 13 gauge sets- and Incan play Maiden and Queenstyche solos on strings that thick btw) but a lot of guys are using 7 and 8 strings now- I imagine that would make them sound like Deftones guitarist Carpenter.

Before you add an extra string, make sure you know what to do with the first six.

As far as tunings, I just tune down one step to D. I've been using that for years, it matches my vocal range and just sounds heavy and warm. I dislike flat-E, there's something not right about it.

AB ANTIQUO, AB AETERNO

I'm a guitarist myself. I used to play in a metal band for 5 years. I can link you some of our older stuff, though I think you might classify it as "cheesy", it's far from bluesy.

Here is my band, or better said the band I used to play in, but I left due to having different priorities (career and game):

I think this might be more of your taste, one of my favorite bands:

Deftones - diamond eyes
Sikth- the trees are dead and dying
Animals as leaders- joys of motion
Textures - dualism
Suffocation - effigy of the forgotten

I can go all day. Want more?

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

I did not want to post a new thread so let me ask you guys:

I LOVE Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu" specially with the San Francisco Symphony, I want to find more instrumentals like that with riffs, speed, power, I like to play it while fucking, so, any recommendations?

Newer I would say Isis or Pelican.

Older, Sabbath.

Quote: (05-27-2014 12:23 PM)bars Wrote:  

I LOVE Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu" specially with the San Francisco Symphony, I want to find more instrumentals like that with riffs, speed, power,

Not sure if you want more of the orchestral stuff or just speed and power, but this should cover both bases:

Vitriol - fuck yeah on Gorguts and Cryptopsy. Two of my favorite death metal albums of all time. "Slit Your Guts" is one of my favorite lifting songs.

Quote: (05-27-2014 09:22 PM)Vitriol Wrote:  

I LOVE Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu" specially with the San Francisco Symphony, I want to find more instrumentals like that with riffs, speed, power,

Not sure if you want more of the orchestral stuff or just speed and power, but this should cover both bases:

More like the Dismember one! Thanks.

I did not want to post a new thread so let me ask you guys:

I LOVE Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu" specially with the San Francisco Symphony, I want to find more instrumentals like that with riffs, speed, power, I like to play it while fucking, so, any recommendations?

If you want metal that goes well with sex, you should without a doubt check Ajattara. Their music is MADE for fucking. Like seriously, that was the goal of the band, to make good music to have sex on.

For what it's worth, I've been listening to a lot of Motorhead recently, great stuff. Lemmy is a legend.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken