rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Laureles/Estadio Area of Medellin

Hey guys.

I, and two of my friends, will be visiting Medellin for the first time in mid-April. We'll be staying from the 16th to the 30th and renting out a really nice 2 BR in the Laureles/Estadio area. We booked it through airbnb and based on the pictures, it looks like it will be a really nice place.

I've searched the forum for information on the Laureles area but can't seem to find anything. The property manager stated that it's about a 10 minute cab ride to El Poblado and Parque Lleras which seems quite reasonable. It may not have the same nightlife that Poblado has, but I feel like we'll get a better taste of the culture based on what I've read.

A little background: All three of us are born and raised in NYC and in our mid-twenties. My family is of Colombian descent and I was raised in a household where I needed to speak Spanish, so I speak the language fluently. Colombians, as most spanish-speaking countries, have their own words and lingo that they use. I guess it's safe to say that I am privy to that and incorporate it into my Spanish as well, so I assume that will be a big plus. I'm not much of a dancer, but I will be taking classes the next few weeks to improve my salsa abilities.

So, I suppose my questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone know about Laureles? Ever stayed there? Any recommendations on food/clubs/activities?
2) Anything to avoid in that area?
3) Will anyone be in Colombia/Medellin between the 16th-30th of April and interested in linking up?
4) Other than improving my dancing ability, pipelining girls through colombiancupid (which i've been doing), dressing well, and making sure my spanish is on-point, is there anything anyone can recommend to make the most out of our two weeks?

Also, what's the phone situation like out there? I have t-mobile, and can't really afford to be completely disconnected for the entire duration of my trip. Anyone have experience with that and can provide recommendations? I understand that whatsapp is used heavily out there so I already have that setup for communication with girls I meet, but I can't just completely disconnect from the states.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I will, of course, provide a datasheet upon my return from the trip - so stay tuned!

Laureles was richer than El Poblado 20 years ago, before a huge crime wave made all their rich inhabitants run away to Poblado and over the hills.

There are a few things around there, but very scattered. I think it's cool you go off the beaten path but this area is a serious headache when I lived there. This is the south part of my teenage-years neighborhood. Let me explain:

- Avoid the whole area when it's Nacional vs Medellin. The riot cops are usually involved. If you do, don't wear green, white, red or blue. Any of the sides will take out frustration on you.
- Avoid all Estadio after 10pm. Nothing goes on there anyways and gets full of low lives.
- West, in direction to the river, is Carlos E. Carlos E is a "tolerance area" and university students can't avoid it, so it's a known crime-ridden area. Don't go alone or without somebody who knows the deal.
- East is fine, but just residential. It's called Calasanz, and not very exciting. Don't go past Calasanz, because that is full ghetto right after, the infamous 13th. This is my old neighborhood and we were the buffer between the heavily armed gangs of the 13th and the common people and the 4th brigade area. There is a university for stupid people called Luis Amigo and has bars up front, one of the few nightlife areas.
- North, opposite to the river, you can find 4th Brigade Headquarters and La Iguana. The soldiers don't give a damn and the Iguana is one of the oldest and most hated ghettos of Medellin.
- Across the small smelly creak is Old Laureles. From Suramericana station, a short street goes all the way to UPB and it's the only party in the area. The neighborhood is not really safe either, tho, so keep your head up. There is a good reason a lot of people have sold most of the 80-year old houses in order to flee to more peaceful places.

In my opinion, stay there if you wish but party somewhere else. It's just a mid-class neighborhood where people go to sleep.

Quote: (04-01-2014 06:56 PM)Volk Wrote:  

Laureles was richer than El Poblado 20 years ago, before a huge crime wave made all their rich inhabitants run away to Poblado and over the hills.

There are a few things around there, but very scattered. I think it's cool you go off the beaten path but this area is a serious headache when I lived there. Let me explain:

- Avoid the whole area when it's Nacional vs Medellin. The riot cops are usually involved. If you do, don't wear green, white, red or blue. Any of the sides will take out frustration on you.
- Avoid all Estadio after 10pm. Nothing goes on there anyways and gets full of low lives.
- West, in direction to the river, is Carlos E. Carlos E is a "tolerance area" and university students can't avoid it, so it's a known crime-ridden area. Don't go alone or without somebody who knows the deal.
- East is fine, but just residential. It's called Calasanz, and not very exciting. Don't go past Calasanz, because that is full ghetto right after, the infamous 13th.
- North, opposite to the river, you can find 4th Brigade Headquarters and La Iguana. The soldiers don't give a damn and the Iguana is one of the oldest and most hated ghettos of Medellin.
- Across the small smelly creak is Old Laureles. From Suramericana station, a short street goes all the way to UPB and it's the only party in the area. The neighborhood is not really safe either, tho, so keep your head up. There is a good reason a lot of people have sold most of the 80-year old houses in order to flee to more peaceful places.

Thanks for the reply, Volk. I suppose I was planning on daygaming the majority of my time in Laureles, while saving the nightlife escapades for Poblado/Parque Lleras. My only local guides will be the females I meet, so that may be hit or miss. Would you suggest keeping the partying to the Parque Lleras/Poblado area on nights where we don't have guides/locals with us?

Or Sabaneta, La Estrella, etc.
You can try to daygame. I never tried there so whatever I tell you would be false. Colombia runs on social circles, and that was my game there.

Quote: (04-01-2014 06:56 PM)Volk Wrote:  

There are a few things around there, but very scattered. I think it's cool you go off the beaten path but this area is a serious headache when I lived there. This is the south part of my teenage-years neighborhood. Let me explain:

- East is fine, but just residential. It's called Calasanz, and not very exciting. Don't go past Calasanz, because that is full ghetto right after, the infamous 13th. This is my old neighborhood and we were the buffer between the heavily armed gangs of the 13th and the common people and the 4th brigade area. There is a university for stupid people called Luis Amigo and has bars up front, one of the few nightlife areas.

In my opinion, stay there if you wish but party somewhere else. It's just a mid-class neighborhood where people go to sleep.

You paint a dark picture on Medellin. Are there any safe areas there?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Conquistadores is the top barrio in the Laureles communa. Safest and $$$$

Nutibara has a bunch of restaurants and is very safe to walk.

33 from 80 to 70 is full of bars. Continuing on 33 to 66 and the autopista/regional you have bars scattered still on 33. Haven't stayed in estadio, but 70 has many bars and is popping on the wknd.

That first weekend u arrive is Good Friday......the city will be dead for that wknd except for Wednesday andthursdy where it's a good party. Nightlife is no joke here,, I am sure you've heard. Social circle game is a must. But since you may not know many, yes you can still try your luck but it isn't easy.

Quote: (04-01-2014 06:31 PM)Renz1088 Wrote:  

1) Does anyone know about Laureles? Ever stayed there? Any recommendations on food/clubs/activities?

Plenty of restaurants in the strip between Segundo Parque and Primer Parque de Laureles. Try a few and pick what looks good to you.

Steaks: Lenos y Carbon at Jumbo de la 65
Burgers: Chef Burger a couple of blocks away from 2nd park
Healthy lunch: SaludPan just off av 70

For nightlife there are three areas close to where you're staying
Avenida 70: Getting better with some new clubs opening. Concentrate on the bigger venues closer to the UPB end. May not be exactly what you want since some of those places have an older crowd.
La 33: Not as good as it used to be.
Bars near University Luis Amigo: I've never been there, but you should probably check it out.

All the areas mentioned above are mostly smaller venues. You may prefer the bigger clubs in Poblado, Las Palmas etc.

The whole area of Laureles is OK. What Volk wrote is a bit over the top in my opinion.

3) Will anyone be in Colombia/Medellin between the 16th-30th of April and interested in linking up?
4) Other than improving my dancing ability, pipelining girls through colombiancupid (which i've been doing), dressing well, and making sure my spanish is on-point, is there anything anyone can recommend to make the most out of our two weeks?

PM me. Will send you my contact details and a couple of extra recommendations.

I stayed in Los Laureles and consider it pretty safe. Nice, clean, flat (important !), quiet area with lots of universities nearby (lots of students live there). In fact I'd probably choose to stay over Poblado there next time, away from tourist areas.

I don't paint it over the top when it comes to Laureles Estadio. I don't have any hangups about the area anymore. If any of you wants to jump into Iguana or the 13th/San Javier with a suit and an iphone, be my guest, it's your trip anyways.
The areas that are being described also are conquistadores and anywhere next to nutibara. As I said, this is where the nightlife is on the area and it's fairly ok.

Hey guys.

I, and two of my friends, will be visiting Medellin for the first time in mid-April. We'll be staying from the 16th to the 30th and renting out a really nice 2 BR in the Laureles/Estadio area. We booked it through airbnb and based on the pictures, it looks like it will be a really nice place.

I've searched the forum for information on the Laureles area but can't seem to find anything. The property manager stated that it's about a 10 minute cab ride to El Poblado and Parque Lleras which seems quite reasonable. It may not have the same nightlife that Poblado has, but I feel like we'll get a better taste of the culture based on what I've read.

A little background: All three of us are born and raised in NYC and in our mid-twenties. My family is of Colombian descent and I was raised in a household where I needed to speak Spanish, so I speak the language fluently. Colombians, as most spanish-speaking countries, have their own words and lingo that they use. I guess it's safe to say that I am privy to that and incorporate it into my Spanish as well, so I assume that will be a big plus. I'm not much of a dancer, but I will be taking classes the next few weeks to improve my salsa abilities.

So, I suppose my questions are as follows:

Also, what's the phone situation like out there? I have t-mobile, and can't really afford to be completely disconnected for the entire duration of my trip. Anyone have experience with that and can provide recommendations? I understand that whatsapp is used heavily out there so I already have that setup for communication with girls I meet, but I can't just completely disconnect from the states.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

1. Laurles is not a bad area. Very authentic medellin. I have spent roughly
6 months in MDE 2010-2012.

2. Estadio is def rougher than Laureles. I was playing tennis in Estadio
at the courts there....Not exactly an area I wanted to hang out. Downtown at night is VERY rough.....murder central...stay away after dark.

3. MDE is dead on some weekends. Try to take some of your girls you pipeline on weekend trips....Sante Fe and Guatape would be nice weekend trips to get out of the city. A lot of people leave MDE for the weekend and goto fincas with their social groups.

Good luck....

Thanks for all the great info guys! Keep it coming if you have anything to add!

It's very cheap to travel in Medellín so don't limit your activities to that area. The train costs only 2mil COP which is about $1 USD and will take you everywhere. I stayed in Parque Lleras and Poblado and Parque is definitely a nice spot. I don't know much about the other areas but I have taken the train plenty of times near the Universities and other Parques near Centro, etc. It is relatively safe during the day and I never had any incidents but at night once when I was walking with a Colombian amiga, 2 guys asked for the time so that I could pull out my phone and they could steal it. My Colombiana pulled me away immediately to avoid them.

So yeah, things are around but be smart of where you're going

Also, what's the phone situation like out there? I have t-mobile, and can't really afford to be completely disconnected for the entire duration of my trip.

Thanks in advance!

can you call into your t-mobile voice mail while in colombia with a Skype out account. for me 800, 877 toll-free calls are free on Skype so you could check vm anywhere there's wifi. i guess you should set up the acct like you're in u.s.a and prepay from usa

I lived in the Laureles Area for one year and I think its a good choice for you, because its not that packed with gringos like Parque Lleras but still a middle-upper class area (estratos 4-5) , while Poblado would be estrato 6...
Poblado and Parque Lleras are located at another part of the city but it is "just" 10 minutes away with taxi , because the city is not thaaat big..

@ Volk , do you mean by "13th" San Javier - comuna 13 ?? This is of course the most dangerous and crime ridden ghetto of Medellin but cmon man this is quite far away from Laureles!! Noone staying in Laureles will end up walking through la 13 by accident... so dont worry about that ..

anyway I think Volk was right about some other things: DONT walk around Estadio at night!! Because no one does, and thats why well-organized thugs and other shady characters take advantage to assault you.. I got assaulted at gunpoint just at the estadio at night, trying to walk from la 70 to la 50 .. this part of la 70 behind the Estadio is NOT the part where the bars are, there is nothing and noone, so its 99% probable you get assaulted..

I love football though and I visited many matches of the Colombian League , I also was in the Estadio when there was Nacional vs Medellin.. absolutely nothing happened.. there´s heavy police presence there anyway.. just dont walk with a red medellin jersey at la 70 because its considered "Atletico Nacional territory" ..

the "main venue" of that area would be la 70, where you can find many restaurants and bars .. some go to party there, but I didnt like it because its just bars to drink and maybe dance salsa (which I dont enjoy) .. I liked much better the reggaeton clubs of Barrio Colombia and Poblado..

there are two universities in that area, Luis Amigó and the UPB .. UPB has tons of hot chicks but you wont get access to the campus unless you are a student.. anyway just look for them walk outside in the streets and do daygame there..

I thought Laureles was pretty safe, compared to some other parts of Medellin but PLEASE BE CAREFUL where you walk (which street etc) at night!!! or better dont walk at all , at night, just taxi [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (04-01-2014 06:35 PM)Renz1088 Wrote:  

I will, of course, provide a datasheet upon my return from the trip - so stay tuned!

Good luck!!! I just booked a plush apartment in Poblado, but I was seriously thinking about Laureles. Its close enough where I can check out the scene there, which I plan to do.

Hung out on La 70 during the national futbol championship game. Was pretty wild. This was the theme song of the day.

Quote: (04-19-2014 11:42 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Quote: (04-01-2014 06:35 PM)Renz1088 Wrote:  

Good luck!!! I just booked a plush apartment in Poblado, but I was seriously thinking about Laureles. Its close enough where I can check out the scene there, which I plan to do.

Laureles/Estadio is a bit far from Lleras, Barrio Colombia, and all the good spots. Kinda shady if you ask me. I've been there with some friends who live in that area. Most of them are wealthy. Ironic.

I always stay at an apartment in Alejandria, very close to oviedo. I've been more than 6 times in the last year. Already have a social circle there and all.

Where did you book the apartment? I've used Medellín Corporate Stays. Nothing but good experiences with them.

I'll be there on june for 2 weeks if anyone wants to meet up.

Quote: (05-31-2014 06:44 PM)Pete Wrote:  

Laureles/Estadio is a bit far from Lleras, Barrio Colombia, and all the good spots. Kinda shady if you ask me. I've been there with some friends who live in that area. Most of them are wealthy. Ironic.

I always stay at an apartment in Alejandria, very close to oviedo. I've been more than 6 times in the last year. Already have a social circle there and all.

Where did you book the apartment? I've used Medellín Corporate Stays. Nothing but good experiences with them.

I'm back in the USA now for a bit, but i usually use airbnb. I've never had an issue in Laureles. In fact, many people I know like it because everything is about half the price of Poblado and the vibe is more of an authentic feel. There are other areas I like as well outside of Poblado.

Some folks like the Parque Llaras scene. I can do that sometimes but I like to get away from the high prices, tourist traps and places where I tend to run into gringos. It seems like many gringos start out in Poblado and then branch out.

Quote: (06-01-2014 12:17 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

I'm back in the USA now for a bit, but i usually use airbnb. I've never had an issue in Laureles. In fact, many people I know like it because everything is about half the price of Poblado and the vibe is more of an authentic feel. There are other areas I like as well outside of Poblado.

Some folks like the Parque Llaras scene. I can do that sometimes but I like to get away from the high prices, tourist traps and places where I tend to run into gringos. It seems like many gringos start out in Poblado and then branch out.

Hey I just posted a thread asking for advice on Colombia. If you (or anyone in this thread) has lived there longer-term...do you know the price /month of an apt. in Medellin, in a decent area? A modest studio in Poblado for example? What about other cities in Colombia. I want to stay a few months and am having some trouble finding precise info. on this.

Quote: (06-01-2014 06:45 PM)dogcynic Wrote:  

Quote: (06-01-2014 12:17 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Hey I just posted a thread asking for advice on Colombia. If you (or anyone in this thread) has lived there longer-term...do you know the price /month of an apt. in Medellin, in a decent area? A modest studio in Poblado for example? What about other cities in Colombia. I want to stay a few months and am having some trouble finding precise info. on this.

I found a very modest, furnished studio just a couple of blocks from Parque Lleras on Calle 36 near Domino's for $325 a month, and later an unfurnished 3 bedrooom/2 bath in Manila (still Poblado, just lower, near the metro station) for $400. I found both of these by walking the streets and having a local girl call rental numbers for prices. These would be pretty rock-bottom I think, but prices would start from there and go up. $500 a month might be more realistic for something decent and furnished these days. Manizales is probably 20% cheaper than Medellin across the board, and Barranquilla is just as expensive, I can't tell you about anywhere else.

Quote: (06-01-2014 08:47 PM)Corroncho Wrote:  

I found a very modest, furnished studio just a couple of blocks from Parque Lleras on Calle 36 near Domino's for $325 a month, and later an unfurnished 3 bedrooom/2 bath in Manila (still Poblado, just lower, near the metro station) for $400. I found both of these by walking the streets and having a local girl call rental numbers for prices. These would be pretty rock-bottom I think, but prices would start from there and go up. $500 a month might be more realistic for something decent and furnished these days. Manizales is probably 20% cheaper than Medellin across the board, and Barranquilla is just as expensive, I can't tell you about anywhere else.

Do you pay month-to-month or is this a 6/12 month contract? Do you have local sign as your fiadoro (sp)?

This is what La 70 looks like after a Nacionals game. I had to walk 3 blocks to find an open place for dinner, because I had to eat something. A lot of foam spraying, which is what you see in the pic:
[Image: uxXvodT.jpg]
[Image: gA1LpjL.jpg]
I also went to the outdoor gym by the stadium a few evenings around 8-9pm without problems.

Quote: (06-01-2014 09:18 PM)Freedom Wrote:  

This is what La 70 looks like after a Nacionals game. I had to walk 3 blocks to find an open place for dinner, because I had to eat something. A lot of foam spraying, which is what you see in the pic:

I made the mistake of leaving one of my car windows down while driving. I was hit with the foam spray. Being a fan I didn't mind so much. A kid jumped in the back seat with a large nacional flag and wouldn't get out. lol

Quote:Quote:

I also went to the outdoor gym by the stadium a few evenings around 8-9pm without problems.

I was leaving the clasico game walking by there and a drunk guy hit is wife/girlfriend over the head with a beer bottle. Blood everywhere and she was trying to hit him back when the police showed up. Be mindful around estadio at night.

Is the Colombian league in full swing during August? How is this month for games?

There's a chance I might be in the city during this time and I'm wondering what it would be like. I wouldn't mind jumping in the crowd, I love futbol and am familiar with being in a crowd full of crazies.