rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Traveling while suited up

I know when you get on a plane for a long flight you want to be comfortable. I always see people dressed down. Guys wear jeans and t-shirts and women rock their sweatpants.

Rarely do I see anyone suited up or "Dressed to the 9's" while traveling.

I have a business trip coming up next week(ironically back to Chicago). I'm going to give my airport suit game a try. It's a short flight.

Anyone ever try this?

Team Nachos

I have, but not by choice. I had a meeting soon after landing. Taking off my jacket, belt and lace-ups to get through security was a pain. The plane was really hot and stuffy. Oh yeah, was suited up and seated next to a huge woman.

Quote: (03-30-2014 02:04 PM)Ardbeg Wrote:  

I have, but not by choice. I had a meeting soon after landing. Taking off my jacket, belt and lace-ups to get through security was a pain. The plane was really hot and stuffy. Oh yeah, was suited up and seated next to a huge woman.

You mean she was "average" size [Image: lol.gif]

Team Nachos

You have to go suited up, what if the girl seated next to you works at taco bell?

Quote: (03-30-2014 02:45 PM)L M McCoy Wrote:  

You have to go suited up, what if the girl seated next to you works at taco bell?

My Taco Bell game is tight [Image: thumb.gif]

Team Nachos

i fly across the atlantic alot and i dress really stylishly to the airport and i also get there early to hang out in the lounge...if u can get in using miles or u r flying business i recomend this as the drinks are free and any women who are there are generally bored and down to be sociable. If nothing has clicked by the time the flight is "wheels up" I go to the bathroom and change into super comfortable clothes for the duration of the flight.

Not purposely, only to rush off the flight straight to a meeting. If you are dressing nicer for the sake of dressing well, jeans and sport coat look better than most there, a casual suit and you will probably be the best dressed.

I generally look like a homeless person when traveling.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Try a white summer suit made from cotton. An example was posted in one of the more recent suited up threads.

When you have a suit that fits it can feel a lot more comfortable than baggy ill-fitting clothing.

Once you start wearing stuff that flatters you, the stuff that doesn't just feels uncomfortable.

I actually find it easier to travel suited up. So my routine is that all of metal is already in my jacket/Jacket pockets, so I dont have to remove anything. My phone, watch, and change are all in my pockets. I always wear lacless loafers when I fly so those slip right off. Also thick dress socks are good because they help put more fabric between your feet and the nasty ground (i live in florida so a lot of people walk around the security area barefoot bc of flip flops). Then when right as im boarding the plane I will ask the stewardess to hang my jacket. Most planes have coat closets where the pilots keep their jackets and larger planes will have more for first/business class. Also dressing well, puts you first for free upgrades if they have space in first. It makes them look better if they have a stylish good looking guy in first class then an empty seat. (for this try inquiring about the price of an upgrade before your flight to see if they are available. be nice to the ticket people and they are usually receptive most people yell at them all day). Regardless of what class you are flying if the plane has a closet and you are charming you can always get them to hang it. Also...this is a good way to start gaming the flight stewardess if she is worth gaming.

Sometimes, if flying for fun I'll wear a cotton blazer, oxford cloth shirt and jeans. If im flying for a conference Im almost always fully suited. Also, you just get treated like an elite traveler. Ive been able to skip waiting in the main security line for travel and gone through the staff/pilot line because I am an "experienced traveler".

Unrelated funny story, one time when I was 19 I did this and a stuffy bussiness woman behind me goes "ummmm this is line is for seasoned travelers only." I took one headphone out as my rap music blared to her disgust and replied "and how many languages to do you speak?" shut her up pretty quickly.

Quote: (03-30-2014 01:49 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I know when you get on a plane for a long flight you want to be comfortable. I always see people dressed down. Guys wear jeans and t-shirts and women rock their sweatpants.

Rarely do I see anyone suited up or "Dressed to the 9's" while traveling.

I have a business trip coming up next week(ironically back to Chicago). I'm going to give my airport suit game a try. It's a short flight.

Anyone ever try this?

I recently had 5 interviews in various cities and went suited up on the plane every trip. A good navy suit and sharp haircut, clean shaven. My suit if comfy though, I actually prefer wearing it to jeans and a regular jacket.

I definitely got IOI's. A cute college girl (7) actually opened me up! I also was approached by another group of girls who were curious. And I'm a 6 normally, but 7-8 with the suit.

And idk, when I wear my dress shoes and feel the suit on, I just walk with way more swagger. I keep this slight smirk on my face too, always vibing. Logistics is hard though, so other than feeling good idk how you can land a bang or a number that will actually work out..

Dark jeans, sportscoat/blazer, and boots.

The girls that help out at the computer checkin terminals / baggage areas sometimes give a quick compliment. Something friendly like "well you sure travel in style". Maybe they say that to everyone, but hey why not run with it. In Hawaii one of the girls came over, touched my suit, and said 'That's really soft...oh shit I just touched you. Sorry!'. If you're not in a hurry these service girls are always bored and down to chat. Hard to make anything come of it though, as you are obviously leaving town. Still, keeps you in that 'always be ready' mentality

Here's my routine:

1. Show up blazer/suit.
2. Carry on my suit bag. A quality suit bag is absolutely worth the investment. Carry on a tshirt and basketball shorts as well.
3. If I'm uncomfortable, I simply change and access the suit bag to stow my suit neatly. If not, I just stay dressed up. Long haul flights are very generous about letting you carry on and stow the suit bag in one of the closets, especially if you walk on the plane in a suit.

I've been rushed through security before when I was suited up for no reason. They also give me less shit when I say I don't want to go through the nuddie scanners.

On a related topic, veterans who have traveled in uniform have seen the difference.

Maybe it should be obvious, but what you wear when traveling can say a lot to people who otherwise would look at you as one of the unwashed masses.

I've only done it a couple of times and only for official traveling, but when I was active duty wearing ABUs (camo and boots) in an airport the treatment was a LOT better. Upgrades, lots of thank-yous and hook-ups from flight attendants.

Do you guys really find wearing a suit uncomfortable? It's just pants a button down short and a jacket. There's no reason that any of those things should feel confining or uncomfortable. If they do, you may want to get to a tailor.

Also, suits are great for traveling because you can layer up or down depending on the temperature wherever you happen to be at any given moment: outside, in the terminal, on the plane. If I'm going from a cold place to a warm place, I'll throw on a sweater as a suit coat to get me to the airport without having to bring a coat that I won't need on the trip.

Exactly, besides you can wear jeans and a sport jacket if you don´t feel like wearing a formal suit.

Quote: (03-30-2014 02:50 PM)tbone46 Wrote:  

i fly across the atlantic alot and i dress really stylishly to the airport and i also get there early to hang out in the lounge...if u can get in using miles or u r flying business i recomend this as the drinks are free and any women who are there are generally bored and down to be sociable. If nothing has clicked by the time the flight is "wheels up" I go to the bathroom and change into super comfortable clothes for the duration of the flight.

How often will you see an attractive chick at the lounge bar who is without her husband and children? I never have.

When I travel, I like to be comfortable. I don't need to be running game, all the time.

I saw this Casey Neistat video about being suited up/travelling (its an online commercial for Jcrew suits):

Quote: (03-31-2014 10:03 AM)j r Wrote:  

Do you guys really find wearing a suit uncomfortable? It's just pants a button down short and a jacket. There's no reason that any of those things should feel confining or uncomfortable. If they do, you may want to get to a tailor.

Also, suits are great for traveling because you can layer up or down depending on the temperature wherever you happen to be at any given moment: outside, in the terminal, on the plane. If I'm going from a cold place to a warm place, I'll throw on a sweater as a suit coat to get me to the airport without having to bring a coat that I won't need on the trip.

I agree. I think it's more that people feel "psychologically" uncomfortable in suits, rather than physically uncomfortable. They're just not used to wearing them. A really good fitting suit is about the closest you can come to feeling naked in public and not being arrested. A decent fitting suit feels the exact opposite of uncomfortable.

I think the OP answered his own question when he observed that most people dress like slobs when travelling. You want to stand out in a good way - so dress up. Maybe 30 years ago you could gain some cache by appearing to be casual. But then more people were dressed formally. Today the pendulum has swung so far in the opposite direction, with everyone from Bill Gates (earlier years) and Mark Zuckerberg looking completely ridiculous in their faux "man of the people" attire that this will only harm you now. When everyone and his brother is dressing down, pretending to be relaxed, it's time for you to dress up. It's a ridiculously easy way for you to DHV. It's the equivalent of the slim girl in a world of fatties. It's just too easy.

Also, a key part of my travel outfit is a Louis Vuitton carry-on. I picked one up used, but can vouch for the authenticity. It's a beautiful bag and adds clout to showing up in a suit.

I bang the thing around pretty good and the quality of the luggage takes it well. If you travel frequently, the thing pays itself back with its durability and the way you're treated everywhere you go with it.

What about getting all suited up or having nice luggage like an LV bag, then you're back in row 20 (i.e. not in first class). Seems incongruent. If I were flying first or business, I'd be more apt to wear a suit. I generally wear a blazer/jeans when travelling. The times I do wear a suit, I feel really good though.

Quote: (03-31-2014 05:56 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

What about getting all suited up or having nice luggage like an LV bag, then you're back in row 20 (i.e. not in first class). Seems incongruent. If I were flying first or business, I'd be more apt to wear a suit. I generally wear a blazer/jeans when travelling. The times I do wear a suit, I feel really good though.

I understand that 10-20 years ago if you were wearing a suit you stood a good chance of being given a free upgrade. Now, however, most airline mileage plans automatically give upgrades to any gold or mid-level members who currently are in economy or economy-plus. So, there aren't any first or business class seats available to give to some dude standing around in his suit in the immediate vicinity. Is this correct?

I strongly recommend travelling suited up. If you are very young 18-25 you will be treated with an astounding level of respect by both staff and plebians as people automatically assume a well dressed young man has much going for him and he is/or will be someone. As we know all too well on this forum people are easily impressed and are very impressionable. If your going to be suited up later in the day anyways why not wear it on the plane? I mean if your even considering it surely it is a comfortable suit.