rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Idea: buying a one way flight abroad and not looking back

Travelling is something I am becoming more and more fond of. Many of us here love to travel as well and to some extent make it part of, or become our lifestyle.

Nevertheless, the last thing I want to do as I start to get older is be stuck in a corporate job in NA without other options and being tied down by debt like the majority of the population.

I would rather buy a one way ticket abroad to try to hustle it or at the very least enjoy what I can out of life than be stuck in a rat race city for the rest of my life, working pay check to pay check like everyone else.

I would rather live out my days to the max and die early than live a boring life with a one week abroad vacation a year, and all the other weeks spent slaving away dreading the trapped life that you have and live to old age.

This is an extreme situation, but I use it for example purpose. But anyways, here's this idea.

Say you save up some cash, enough to buy a one way ticket abroad, and keep you afloat on a steady budget for 2-3 months. Ideally a place where you can grow, has your type of weather, favoured culture and language, girls and people.

You are not allowed to come home, unless by emergency. Figure shit out on your own. Whether that means picking up easy work gigs at bars or restaurants, stores, warehouses, finding a way to make cash online while outside your country, etc.

Try to make some money, spend less, so that you can extend your stay to 5 months. Maybe once you've spent 4 months there you land a temporarily secure gig that allows you to stay at least another 3 months. Then you go from there.. Perhaps you never even have to return, only by choice to see family and friends.

I was talking about this with a family friend of mine yesterday. He's mid 30's happily married in a very stable relationship with a wife he's been with for 10 years. They don't have kids and don't plan to, they travel abroad 3 times a year for week long trips to a different countries every time and have been doing this for years. Oftentimes they take weekend trips to other cities a short flight away, such as Montreal.

He told me when he was 20 he worked hard back home in Brazil for 2 straight years making enough money to stay afloat in Europe for 6 weeks. Bough a one way flight to Madrid, with a return trip 6 weeks later from Amsterdam. Absolutely nothing planned in between, nothing.

He said it changed his life and opened him up to travelling and making it a part of his life. He named off so many cities he stayed in and enjoyed for a short time in different countries, and nowadays he goes back to visit and spend more times in the ones he enjoyed most.

He tells me if he was my age today, he wouldn't even have done university like he completed in his 20's. He says he would save enough to buy a one way flight to Europe and stay abroad for at least 2 months, and try and hustle and allow himself to stay longer, like I detailed before. Explore his options, keep an open mind. Maybe that means getting a degree in the near future, or not, or working as a freelancer of some sorts and playing things by ear.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

I feel like this is something that is more possible nowadays than ever before. If I were to ask the average person about this they would say it's impossible, as they go back to work tomorrow in their corporate job. Obviously it isn't, especially for us who prioritize our self development in our younger days and if we are to even consider the possibility of getting married and starting a family, it's something that will happen when we are much older, such as late 30's and 40's. This would be something near impossible for someone who is tied down by many commitments, but being single without kids on it's own is worth it's weight in gold for the time being.

I bought a one way ticket to China in 2012. Spent 6 months in Asia then ended up back state side. I had only planed on staying back in the states for summer at my sisters. She lives at the beach I thought it would be ok to spend summer in the USA at the beach. I have been in the USA since. I am getting my shit together and planning another overseas trip in the next few months. I am torn between going back to Asia which I LOVED, or going to South America which is originally where I always wanted to go.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

I have the same thoughts about buying a one way ticket. I've also done it before, more than once.

-You want to have more than 2-3 months' worth of savings. IMO ideally over a year, at least half a year + emergency fund for a return ticket.
-Have family or good friends who will help you out if things go wrong.
-Think about what you want to achieve by moving abroad. Just flying to Western Europe from North America is not that much of a change. It could be even worse: you'll be surrounded by people of pretty similar or the same ancestry who speak a different language, earn less and spend more than you do in Canada.
-Is it about swooping girls? If so, what kind of girls do you prefer? This will help you decide on the region/country.
-3rd world countries offer much better value for money. For example, you can live in Bangkok reasonably well on $1000/month, very well on $1500/month. Good luck with that in most cities in Europe. However, there are fewer job opportunities for lower pay in the 3rd world. You may want to consider teaching English.

Quote: (03-02-2014 02:39 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I bought a one way ticket to China in 2012. Spent 6 months in Asia then ended up back state side. I had only planed on staying back in the states for summer at my sisters. She lives at the beach I thought it would be ok to spend summer in the USA at the beach. I have been in the USA since. I am getting my shit together and planning another overseas trip in the next few months. I am torn between going back to Asia which I LOVED, or going to South America which is originally where I always wanted to go.

Unless you prefer Latin American girls, Asia in general is much better both as a tourist destination and for potential job opportunities. Cheaper, safer, better infrastructure, pretty much everything is better except for girls' figures.

Quote: (03-02-2014 02:51 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Quote: (03-02-2014 02:39 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Unless you prefer Latin American girls, Asia in general is much better both as a tourist destination and for potential job opportunities. Cheaper, safer, better infrastructure, pretty much everything is better except for girls' figures.

Thats the kicker... I love Latin women. Always have, dark hair, darker skin, brown eyes and curves... Its my kryptonite.
I love the Philippines tho, the vibe, the people, the ease, the cost, the safety, everyone speaking English. I had a nice social circle there and my living situation was great.

I am very very conflicted about whether or not to go back there or head down to South America. One day I will be set on one or the other and then 2 days later change my mind.

You have me even more interested in Bangkok as well. I can swing $2000 usd a month pretty easy with out working in Bangkok. I didn't know it was that cheap to live well there. I planned on flying to Bangkok when I left the Phills but I got to the airport to late to catch the flight so I just flew back to China.... I often wonder how much different things would be for me if I made that flight to BK. I ended up just going back to America a month after I went back to China.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

For Bangkok, there is a very good datasheet here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-32193.html

Sure, give it a try and see how it feels to live that lifestyle.

Ideally you should have enough resources to deal with any eventuality. Mainly this means have cash set aside.

Don't burn your bridges. If you're enrolled in college, apply for a year's deferment. If you're employed, leave on great terms with the promise to ping them when/if you return.

If you're going to Western Europe or similar, apply for a working holiday visa so you have one option for a base to work legally.

I can tell you from experience that although travel is awesome, eventually you will get tired of living out of a suitcase. My limit is about five months.

I'm not a big believer of this "employment is slavery" bullshit that you read around the web. In some cases it might be the right advice, but it will be harmful to the majority of people who decide to follow it.

If relying on starting a web based business and earning sustainable income from that, do a proof of concept before leaving your hometown.

I also don't recommend a plan like this for a first time traveler. First do some normal, limited traveling and acquire some travel skills and independence.

2 months sounds like such a short time. Sounds like a good plan though. I would rather die than work a corporate rat race type of job. I've never worked a 9-5 job in my life. I've always despised every job I've had. This leaves me with the only option of working for myself. If I found myself broke, I'd figure out a way to get some type of gig related to high adventure, such as a skiing or rock climbing instructor.

You should really figure out a way to start your own business and go 100% on that. Do whatever it take to make it work. Either you figure out how to work for yourself or you die, whichever comes first.

I did what your friend did in 2007. Had a lot of money saved up and wanted to travel. Bought a ticket in and out of Madrid w/6 weeks between flights and nothing planned except a hotel room the first day. Had a phenomenal time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hey Nascimento,

I'm going to do exactly that in a few months, heading to Canada actually (Montreal). From there I plan to hang in out NY for a while and gradually work my way down through Central America and eventually get to Brazil.

Bar any funerals or weddings of close family and friends, I won't be back in Ireland for quite some time.

Quote: (03-02-2014 02:25 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I would rather live out my days to the max and die early than live a boring life with a one week abroad vacation a year, and all the other weeks spent slaving away dreading the trapped life that you have and live to old age.

Boring actually makes you die early. It's been proven scientifically that pleasure and excitement boost your immune system. Try this book - Feeling Good Is Good for You: How Pleasure Can Boost Your Immune System and Lengthen Your Life.

I left the corporate world around 2 years back and have gone into freelancing, as well as in the process of establishing some solid online income streams. One of the chief reasons, apart from the innate hatred towards the 9-6, is the freedom I'm experiencing. Once I'm able to increase my rates, I'm planning on working from abroad for extended periods, not just a vacation. The fact that I know I'll be earning while travelling somehow makes the whole vision all the more sweeter.

I always fly one-way and never have a clue when I'll be returning. The first time I did it I had no clue what I would do to pay my way. I did have some cash in my pocket to make it for a while on that trip, but I let it dwindle down to nothing before I got to work, and once necessity hit it only took a couple weeks to identify a way to make money and then get it off the ground and put the loot in my pocket.

It can get hairy, and over the years I've let it slowly die and then built it from scratch again several times, but I still recommend it.

Even to this day, people always message me on Facebook and say, "So when you coming back home?" As if I'm here temporarily and will be done with my "vacation" one of these days.

My usual answer is "Probably not any time soon, but it would be nice to visit this year if I can."

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Nice ideas so far guys.

I think if I were to do something like this, I'd fly out to a SEA country like Thailand, or an European country at random and see where that leads.

I'd buy a one way flight, have 4k in the bank, and try to last as long as possible. Just because I land and it's my first few weeks doesn't mean I can spend on some luxury hotels.

I'd think SEA would be a cheaper option. Although less to room to discover, as in Europe I can trot around all those countries and drink different beers.

I'm actually going on my first solo trip abroad in 2 weeks to the DR. Although that is a leisure trip, it will also give me skills to travel on my own and handle myself in a different culture and language. If I were to ever do something like this I would benefit greatly from this first trip.

I think I will discover just how much I enjoy travelling, despite all the hardships that will come along, that will change my mindset for the future.

I say if you're young you should be trying different stuff to grow and find your identity.

With that said, I would also be looking long term and developing skills that I could use long term. You don't want to be teaching English or working bars all of your life.

This is difficult for a lot of people. It requires consistent work and most people are not good at staying on a schedule when they don't have too. Try it out for a year and see how it works out. You should be able to decide after that if that is the type of life you want.

*** disclaimer this is not a knock on Roosh since he is the extremely rare exception ***

Do not fucking do this.

I repeat do not pack your bags for some hippie nonsense "gap year" to find yourself.

The truth is that at 20-25 you will not bang hot chicks in hostels or any of that romantic comedy nonsense. The best case scenario is you get to bang hotties because you are very good looking in exchange for a life of poverty.

No.

You are young. Use all of that energy to build niche knowledge and grow a business in the future or at least learn a real trade.

You need to be mentally tough.

I can tell you from real life experience once you make real dough and you work on your looks the chicks you bang in the future will not even touch the girls you banged in the past.

The real road to maximizing your own life is by grinding out a niche.

If you delay pain today you will regret your decisions tomorrow.

---

The die young argument is complete crap tbh. Your value as a guy doesn't even begin till your late 20s. So you have ~7 years to get to work. Better than dicking around.

Quote: (03-03-2014 09:37 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

*** disclaimer this is not a knock on Roosh since he is the extremely rare exception ***

Do not fucking do this.

I repeat do not pack your bags for some hippie nonsense "gap year" to find yourself.

The truth is that at 20-25 you will not bang hot chicks in hostels or any of that romantic comedy nonsense. The best case scenario is you get to bang hotties because you are very good looking in exchange for a life of poverty.

No.

You are young. Use all of that energy to build niche knowledge and grow a business in the future or at least learn a real trade.

You need to be mentally tough.

I can tell you from real life experience once you make real dough and you work on your looks the chicks you bang in the future will not even touch the girls you banged in the past.

The real road to maximizing your own life is by grinding out a niche.

If you delay pain today you will regret your decisions tomorrow.

---

The die young argument is complete crap tbh. Your value as a guy doesn't even begin till your late 20s. So you have ~7 years to get to work. Better than dicking around.

WC, while I agree that you shouldn't waste your twenties with the idea of working hard in the 30s +, I disagree that he shouldn't experiment some to figure himself out.

This is the time for him to take chances because, at that age, he can bounce back a lot easier.

Let's face it, at that age, he doesn't really know anything. He may think he knows what he wants but only experiences will dictate whether they are true or not.

This romantic notion of taking off without a safety net may end up being a 2 month holiday simply because the reality wasn't what he had imagined.

He won't know unless he gives it a go. Surely, traveling is a good life experience and well worth a year of your life. The learning experiences from traveling a year will help him in his long term goals. It can give you a very good perspective on life. Sometimes you don't know how good you got it until you see some shit holes.

WC, I see the message in your post.

If I were to do something like this it would be for the experience. For the challenge, difficulty, and hustle it would require. In an emergency situation (I no longer have money to keep myself abroad without starving or being able to pay for a room) I'd be allowed to take myself home. Nothing would be different, I'd resume where I left off.

Travelling like this isn't to bang girls. Girls I realize are a result of building yourself up game and lifestyle wise, and sometimes just coincidence. If I was abroad like this for 6 months sure I'd like to bang some foreign girls, but if I wen't those 6 months without it I wouldn't consider the trip a failure if I had learned and developed in other areas.

I painted an extreme situation. I'd rather die at 30 having lived out my life and done many things I have wanted to do and visited many places I'd have liked to visit then live to 60 without travelling outside my home country, been constantly slaving away at work because of mortgage/car/banks debts and entrapments and looking back on my life and realizing that the best time of it was before I had gotten into all this.

Obviously it's not a one or the other option. I'm well informed to know that I can work out of the later situation, and once I'm 60 if I do get there look back on my life at my achievements and experiences, that were just what I wanted them to be, if I were to put the work in and avoid what most people get into as they age.

@wwt I see your point. I still think there are better ways to find yourself though.

I know too many people who went to "see the world" now they can't even go out to eat dinner with me on weekends because it "costs too much"... Complete fail.

If this is a shirt stint then maybe, guess I am thinking about blowing your 20s = bad idea man. A month or two? Sure you'll realize how hard it really is.

Quote: (03-03-2014 10:01 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

@wwt I see your point. I still think there are better ways to find yourself though.

I know too many people who went to "see the world" now they can't even go out to eat dinner with me on weekends because it "costs too much"... Complete fail.

If this is a shirt stint then maybe, guess I am thinking about blowing your 20s = bad idea man. A month or two? Sure you'll realize how hard it really is.

Yeah, that is why I agree with the overall meaning of your post. It isn't exactly easy to figure things out, but when you do there is a calmness in your life.

Some guys would rather put that off and use the "live now" as a reason.

Only time will tell if they made the right choice. For me, it wouldn't be my choice but everyone is different. I know I wouldn't want to be traveling the world for 10 years using couchsurfing and thinking I was free. Freedom, for me, requires a flat at minimum. hah

^ yep.

If you're couch surfing because you're a wealthy minimalist you're cool.

If you're couch surfing because you're broke at 30+ and are **forced/need** to...

Basically what I am saying is if your 30s are worse than your 20s you've made some terrible life decisions

I think there is a difference is living it up in your 20's (early ones especially), by travelling abroad, rather than drinking yourself beyond means several times a week while in college.

Many of my buddies my age drink heavy 2-3 times a week outside of exam season. Go out and hit the clubs, parties, and enjoy the most out of their college life, before reality kicks in when they realize after graduating their degree isn't a guarantee of a job and they are full of debt to pay off.

Sure, drinking and partying is awesome when you're young and in your college years. Although I only did that for my first year. Nowadays I don't hit up college parties anymore (although I would more still a bit if I had more connections every once and a while) and don't spend dozens of dollars a week just on alcohol. I still hit up a couple bar/club spots on weekends because it's fun and I get to work on my game, but that is done sober so I save lots of money I'd be spending otherwise. But I digress.

I'd rather party for a single year hard, then travel and look elsewhere for self improvement than party hard for all years and then decide where to go next.

Quote: (03-03-2014 10:14 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I think there is a difference is living it up in your 20's (early ones especially), by travelling abroad, rather than drinking yourself beyond means several times a week while in college.

Many of my buddies my age drink heavy 2-3 times a week outside of exam season. Go out and hit the clubs, parties, and enjoy the most out of their college life, before reality kicks in when they realize after graduating their degree isn't a guarantee of a job and they are full of debt to pay off.

Sure, drinking and partying is awesome when you're young and in your college years. Although I only did that for my first year. Nowadays I don't hit up college parties anymore (although I would more still a bit if I had more connections every once and a while) and don't spend dozens of dollars a week just on alcohol. I still hit up a couple bar/club spots on weekends because it's fun and I get to work on my game, but that is done sober so I save lots of money I'd be spending otherwise. But I digress.

I'd rather party for a single year hard, then travel and look elsewhere for self improvement than party hard for all years and then decide where to go next.

If you are talking many years, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to figure out what you want to do when you go back home.

It's like the stories I hear about English teachers. They originally do it to travel and make some coin in order to live. I suspect most don't plan on doing it long term but they end up being trapped because they have no other skills to get a good job back home or anywhere else.

That is what you want to avoid. You can learn skills while traveling but that will take discipline on your part.

Capitao,
This is a noble endeavour and I do applaud you for having the balls to plan something like this at this young age. Needless to say that traveling will teach you infinitely more than any classroom or school ever will.

As I told you the times we met and talked, my suggestion is to go enjoy your DR trip, get a taste for the life overseas and being with foreign girls. Then, come back and go straight to the oil sands come late march early April which is the perfect timing as the weather is getting better and most importantly, this is a prime hiring season. Work there till end of September to mid oct and then call it a day.

By then, you will be in a very strong position: you'd have learned a valuable skill that could easily be parlayed into avery lucrative career with plenty of time off and gained experience in a very in demand field, you'd have great contacts in that industry and as the icing on the cake, a very healthy bank account. You'd have enough money to buy you a year or two of dolce vita pretty much anywhere in the world. During that time, learn a new language, get a portable and location independent biz off the ground and then you'd be golden.

Believe me, few things can match the oil sands as a legal life hack and its much much better to be working in the oil sands between April to mid Oct than between mid Oct to mid march!!!

Boa sorte rapaiz.

I really entertain the idea of having a location independent biz setup in the future. Would take a lot of work initially, but we all know it can be done.

The oilsands is still a possibility, although if I go through with it in 2014 it will be in the latter part of the year. Still going through that monster thread and making notes, I'm about 3/4 of the way done.

The idea I have on this thread is just me throwing up a thought in the air, it's something I'd like to do sometime, even if it's just a short term thing. Could be when I'm 25, 30, etc.

I think what I am getting from this thread is:
- travel in general will pay back in life experience
- a trip like this is very beneficial short term, but long term make sure you are setup in some way and know what you are dealing with
- although the best time to do this is when you are young, make sure you are not sacrificing your developments in other areas for this.
- I should be prospering, and not struggling in my 30's. I remember watching a video that was linked in the forums recently. '30s are not our new 20s' The time to hustle and get shit done and struggle is now.

^ good.

Yeah I am not saying to become some weirdo aspengers drone with negative game who couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons...

But.

You should definitely not dick around for 5+ years or some nonsense.

A month of travel while doing nothing but exploring isn't bad, 5 years... is a prison sentence though.