rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

HSBC Expat Survey Tool - and my own survey of you.

HSBC Expat Tool

7000 expat surveys later, based on input criteria you provide, this thing is kind of cool. Of course, it doesn't take into account some of the things that folks here are focused on. For things included, if you don't care (e.g. child care costs), just uncheck the boxes. Play with it a while, see if it confirms where you've actually chosen. Its a bit blunt but worth a few minutes.

I'm almost sure I am going to move out of Shenzhen in the next six to twelve months to a different East/Southeast Asian city, outside China. I am trying to figure it out - game is actually not a consideration for me. If I continue to worry about that, I'll do it on the road whilst traveling for work. I expect at the beginning I'll be with a pregnant significant other, and then of course, with a child, so my thought process is different for this. Considering a 2-5 year window perhaps staying there as a "home base" with significant portions of time traveling, in the USA, etc.

Criteria is:
1. A major airport within a short trip nearby which is a major international hub. Can be a short flight away (a la Phuket to BKK).
2. Good economics for someone whose income is location independent
3. Relatively safe for foreigners/place is decently accepting of foreigners
4. Clean air/water
5. Healthy food choices centered around fresh produce and fish (easy in East Asia to be sure)
6. Reasonable infrastructure, particularly telecom as so much of my work is via telephone to the USA/Europe.
7. Ability to get an air conditioned, modern apartment to purchase (preferred if theres an economic arbitrage, SZ apts. in desirable areas cost up to and over USD 1 million) or rent in a building on an affordable basis.
8. Lack of visa headaches, keeping in mind that i travel frequently.

Scuba diving proximity, aesthetics (near the ocean is preferred, not dirty like Manila, which would be disqualified on air quality anyway) and not ridiculously crowded in the living area chosen are also considerations I'd give weight to. I also, at this point, kind of hate cold weather. Finally, a decent size Chinese community (like those in Malaysia, Singapore, etc. would probably go a decent way to make my sig. other comfortable with the new locale).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, if they're specific on the issues I raised. Just saying Bangkok isn't really that helpful, as we're all aware of the city.

Some cities other than Bangkok I am considering (and Bangkok is one I am) are Cebu and also KL (which I've actually never visited but would of course check out like any other potential destination).

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Quote: (02-16-2014 02:55 AM)G_global Wrote:  

HSBC Expat Tool

7000 expat surveys later, based on input criteria you provide, this thing is kind of cool. Of course, it doesn't take into account some of the things that folks here are focused on. For things included, if you don't care (e.g. child care costs), just uncheck the boxes. Play with it a while, see if it confirms where you've actually chosen. Its a bit blunt but worth a few minutes.

I'm almost sure I am going to move out of Shenzhen in the next six to twelve months to a different East/Southeast Asian city, outside China. I am trying to figure it out - game is actually not a consideration for me. If I continue to worry about that, I'll do it on the road whilst traveling for work. I expect at the beginning I'll be with a pregnant significant other, and then of course, with a child, so my thought process is different for this. Considering a 2-5 year window perhaps staying there as a "home base" with significant portions of time traveling, in the USA, etc.

Criteria is:
1. A major airport within a short trip nearby which is a major international hub. Can be a short flight away (a la Phuket to BKK).
2. Good economics for someone whose income is location independent
3. Relatively safe for foreigners/place is decently accepting of foreigners
4. Clean air/water
5. Healthy food choices centered around fresh produce and fish (easy in East Asia to be sure)
6. Reasonable infrastructure, particularly telecom as so much of my work is via telephone to the USA/Europe.
7. Ability to get an air conditioned, modern apartment to purchase (preferred if theres an economic arbitrage, SZ apts. in desirable areas cost up to and over USD 1 million) or rent in a building on an affordable basis.
8. Lack of visa headaches, keeping in mind that i travel frequently.

Scuba diving proximity, aesthetics (near the ocean is preferred, not dirty like Manila, which would be disqualified on air quality anyway) and not ridiculously crowded in the living area chosen are also considerations I'd give weight to. I also, at this point, kind of hate cold weather. Finally, a decent size Chinese community (like those in Malaysia, Singapore, etc. would probably go a decent way to make my sig. other comfortable with the new locale).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, if they're specific on the issues I raised. Just saying Bangkok isn't really that helpful, as we're all aware of the city.

Some cities other than Bangkok I am considering (and Bangkok is one I am) are Cebu and also KL (which I've actually never visited but would of course check out like any other potential destination).

I think Penang is worth considering. I haven't rented an apartment there but from what I've seen on ibilik.my, they seem to be a great value. You've got a (mediocre?) beach available, as well as a small mountain. Atmosphere at least in Georgetown is better than KL. I believe it has a larger Chinese population than KL. Langkawi is a short boat or plane ride away and has maybe a better beach and duty free alcohol. Taxis here and in the rest of Malaysia are kind of dickheads but the bus system is quite good. Food is clean and affordable. I think Penang could be even more affordable than Chiang Mai. As for KL, I personally only enjoy the Bukit Bintang area which has a great variety of food and interesting if somewhat seedy atmosphere. Outside of that, it feels a bit boring and suburban. Well, I guess Penang is a little bit boring too, but maybe that's okay for your home base. If you have a Regus membership, the branch in Penang is very pleasant, not busy at all and has a great view of the coast.

Thanks Dodol, I'll check out the information you provided. I've spent a limited time in Malaysia so a lot of it is entirely new to me, including the websites you mentioned. Appreciate someone taking the time.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China