rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Assessing the Impact of Tinder

I just joined this today. I'm like wow.

I know there is a Tinder thread, but it's already completely useless to peruse through. 35 pages and growing? Get outta here!

So I wanted to start a thread for assessing the social impact of Tinder. That's it.

The way I see it, this is the marginal effect in a variety of dimensions:

1. More opportunity for status whoring by girls
2. More approaches by men for each girl
3. Increased access to opportunities will increase likelihood of cheating for both sexes

I'm sure there are many more, but these off the top of my head.

I see this rendering cold-approaches totally moot, but on the other hand, guys who do cold approaches will still have the advantage of voice tone and body language. However, this will never beat a solid picture in terms of sparking initial attraction. The question is whether a good picture and "don't fuck up" game is enough to carry you to the finish line. My experience says probably not. This relates to the next point.

There will increasing interest directed at the top 10% of women. Exponentially so. This could have adverse effects on their likeability, making them bitchier and more difficult than ever before. Will it also lead to girls riding the carousel harder? Will girls increase bangs as access to fresh cock becomes easier than ever before? I think we will see marginal positive effects here. Small, but significant.

Tinder could become - could - the NASDAQ of Sexual Markets. We will see how attractive mates access to larger markets of potential mates will send their market value through the roof. In some ways, this could be a benefit as it could mitigate assortative mating tendencies where highly educated people seek out mates at institution of higher learning, which is where most people find their spouses - it is the largest sexual market today. Tinder could help change things back to a more even distribution, which would be good for things like national and social cohesion (to some degree).

As women who are not hot are increasingly rejected, we might also see a more direct incentive for improving looks, losing weight, and making serious efforts to improve how photogenic a girl looks. Some of the improvement will, of course, be fake, but a lot will be positive.

As for cheating, this can be dealt with by increasing monitoring, but keeping an eye on a bitch is an emotional pain in the butt. Men in particular, in their quest for variety, will be especially hard-pressed not to continue hunting for new pussy when pussy is so bountiful. Before it would take donning some nice clothes and heading out and running game. Tinder reduces initial investment costs by allowing you to retain your best looks in picture form while allowing you to continue your hunting efforts.

As a force for good and bad, I see multiple scenarios, but overall I think Tinder will have a positive social impact, since it can force people to confront certain truths about themselves that could possibly lead to better attitudes towards life and relationships.

I'd love to hear what you other guys think.

PS. Statistical analyses from Tinder could be super interesting. As a first off, I bet you could show a huge positive impact for a girls chances of getting a "like" if she's got long hair, even after controlling for every thinkable alternative explanatory factor.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

If you get no matches, the feedback is that
a) your pics are bad
b) you are ugly

The match rate will be the top 10-20% of the guys with 80% of the women, because the women still chooses. And we know how women judge online dating pictures, their judgement range ends at a 6 or 7 rating (for male models). The best is only good enough.

And yes, fatties wont get a match with the hot stud. (SHOULDNT)

Hooking up get easier, because if you are matched you know she find yo attractive (at least on the pictures)

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Sounds great for doing approaches like a human being. Chicks and dudes will hide behind tinder because its easy, fewer dudes will approach in person because they are afraid/too worried about tinder. Some guy walks up to a girl and says hi,she's amazed, asks or somehow searches for him on tinder...he's not on it. How could such an attractive guy not be on tinder? Mysterious further escalated commence easy lay. Its like not having facebook all over again.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I played with Tinder for a little while last year before I met my girlfriend. I clicked like on a couple of girls who had apparently "liked" me before, but decided not to contact them because it was too impersonal. I hope it works for people.

It'll follow the same pattern as other similar sites before. Exponential growth, stabilization, and decline. Years ago there was Hot or Not which was pretty much the same thing. They recently remade it into an app.

The increase in cheating and lack of stable relationships is due in part to the escalating influence of social media. I don't see how these technologies/apps can help in creating more cohesive long term relationships. It's pretty much a fuckfest out there, and will continue for years to come. Great for guys like us, terrible for society and actually building a connection with a woman. I'm still relatively young so I don't see this as a problem. If I ever want to get married or settle down, this is a major fucking problem.

In most relationships people are settling. The person they are with is usually the best they can get at that time.

Our brains are not designed for potential access to hundreds and hundreds of mates in the span of a week. How can you settle on one, when there's another pussy a few clicks away?

In the end players/sluts win and nice guys/girls lose out. But this has been happening for years already.

What happens is that more guys become players and women sluts. Seeing that their sexual strategies aren't working, they simply adapt. With access to such a large pool of sexual partners we revert back to our primitive selves.

This is just more fuel to add to the fire in helping women ride the cock carosel a little longer.

If older women can continue to find men with ease to fuck them their hamster will use it to rationalize their desirability even if guys are using them strickly for pump and dump.

And lord knows the thirst level of most men in the US so post wall women just got a boost to their access to dick with tinder.

As for its impact on monagomy well this is going to hurt that as this makes it.even easier to cheat. This will create an abundance mentality in access to sexual partners. That combined with a grass is always greener thinking with an easy ability to see your sexual options will be another hammer in the coffin of monagomus relationships like marriage.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

I've never used this app but I'm surprised it's being assessed mostly positively by our members, because we are usually very skeptical (and with reason) of Facebook and alikes.

What bothers me is that it seems to have further impact on our privacy, which is degrading fast, and Tinder adds up to that degradation. Anything linked to facebook will be known by all your friends, which usually means your boss and stepmother included. Can't we just have one good dating app unlinked from facebook?

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

I think it will seperate alphas and betas even further.

Alphas will find ways to exploit the online system and be in that top 10% and get all the dates. Top alphas will meet girls mostly elsewhere.

Betas will be stuck to meeting girls over social circle or work environments and stuck trying to get non flaky online numbers. Won't ever be doing a day approach.

Mobile Match Apps Are 'Dating On Steroids'

NPR just did a piece on it yesterday. Pretty much confirms everything said above 100%, as far as I can see.

It was copied from an app for gay hookups which I wasn't aware of.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Do you get to see more than one photo? Seems like a high chance you will get lots of SIFs / face shots.

It seems like facebook photos. So all a girl's profile pics.

I naturally only have one photo (my best).

A more competitive sexual market among suppliers (females) is a good thing for men. This will encourage women to upgrade their SMV. Especially when the returns to doing so are so clearly high.

Free markets and competition, my friends!

A year from now you'll wish you started today

at least check pages 6-8 in the current tinder thread. soup and blurred sevens discuss how to get a chick from tinder to your house for a 0 date bang recipe.

Sites like Match.com, eHarmony, POF and even OKC have been put on notice; pivot your business model or get eaten alive. Traditional online dating of carefully crafted long winded profiles will die on the vine. Women and men have no problem meeting someone in person they see a few pictures of, and share a few texts with. Others have popped up, like Hinge. I cant even use Match or any of those dumb sites anymore, I just dont have the time or focus to devote to it. Any busy man doesn't really anyway. Just joined OKC a few weeks ago and I get matches all day long with nothing in my profile except for my height, a stupid statement at the top, and my pics.

The drawbacks are few, but foremost its that pictures lie. 7 times out of 10, I get buyers remorse upon meeting the girl. This is the issue with online dating in general, but more profile info lessens that I guess. I have over 2600 matches in my Tinder account right now. Based on my experience I have neither the time nor desire to weed through these girls because almost all of them I will find unappealing, probably 95% or more.

What I have found;
A gorgeous girl that I have to meet will get me to use it. That ups my usage..
Traveling to a new city for quick meet ups works the best.
Women are easy to meet up with quickly, more so than any other dating site.
Transition to text after 3-4 exchanges. Fairly easy.
Women are more likely to engage you and meet up than any other dating site. Match/OKC/POF. It makes old school online dating look like what it really is, a time suck and mostly disappointing.

Another thing though is SPAM. I see more SPAM on Tinder now than ever before. See the image below from Newcastle beer. I got this yesterday on Valentines Day. Newcastle very well could have paid Tinder for this, as they deserve to create revenue. I liked the ad, and being free, you can expect more of this... TINSTASFL

[Image: oyQYBtp.png]

[img][Image: PkIwCny.png][/img]

Quote: (02-15-2014 03:28 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

Sites like Match.com, eHarmony, POF and even OKC have been put on notice; pivot your business model or get eaten alive.

Good thing Match.com and OKC own Tinder.

Quote: (02-15-2014 03:31 PM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Sites like Match.com, eHarmony, POF and even OKC have been put on notice; pivot your business model or get eaten alive.

Match owns OKC but not Tinder. They are owned by the same holding company called IAC, but totally separate businesses. Its like competition between Buick and Oldsmobile. Word is the two companies hate each other. http://www.hatchlabs.com/hatchlabs/main.php

more Tinder SPAM.. they need to figure this out because this will only get way worse, very quickly.

[Image: XPGRkBCl.jpg]

[Image: GsjPPe3l.jpg]

I have over 2600 matches in my Tinder account right now. Based on my experience I have neither the time nor desire to weed through these girls because almost all of them I will find unappealing, probably 95% or more.

[Image: icon_eek.gif]

Time Magazine did a piece on Tinder this past week that was pretty interesting, at least as far as Time pieces go. Unfortunately I can't post a link, you need to be a subscriber to read it online.

The author talks about how one of the benefits of Tinder is the constant stream of affirmation she gets from it. She was posting from NYC, where she could get so many matches that she didn't really notice the rejections. She also wrote a lot about people using it just as a game, because it's so mindless, it's easy to play for an hour and then wait to watch the matches stream in.

I agree with other posters here that Tinder seems to be mainly a source of validation for women, especially for less attractive ones. Top tier women are still going to get approached regularly, but online, and especially on Tinder, even ugly chicks are getting hit on. Girls don't notice, or don't want to notice, the difference between a guy wanting to pump and dump them and a guy wanting to date them. For guys Tinder is good if you're significantly more attractive than average, but for average guys it's a crapshot. Approaching in any other setting will always be better, because so few guys are willing to do that.

Has anyone noticed a surge in underage girls on tinder lately?
Like 1/7 matches is a girl who says she underage...which is very scary.

I've gotten off tinder a few times because i really don't want a Facebook profile to be active.
Most of the girls aren't worth the trouble beyond bangs...
I find this troubling, mainly because i don't consider people throw away but with tinder i rarely meet the girl again...

Large amount of validation for females in their sexual prime cannot be good for society.

Quote: (02-15-2014 11:05 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I think it will seperate alphas and betas even further.

Alphas will find ways to exploit the online system and be in that top 10% and get all the dates. Top alphas will meet girls mostly elsewhere.

Betas will be stuck to meeting girls over social circle or work environments and stuck trying to get non flaky online numbers. Won't ever be doing a day approach.

Mostly this. A tool that is tailor made for the generically photogenic. Could become so powerful everyone else takes a hit.

Quote: (02-15-2014 03:38 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

Match owns OKC but not Tinder. They are owned by the same holding company called IAC, but totally separate businesses. Its like competition between Buick and Oldsmobile. Word is the two companies hate each other. http://www.hatchlabs.com/hatchlabs/main.php

Iac/Interactive Corp owns all three, match.com, OKC and Tinder. Hatch Labs is just their way to make Tinder hip and more startup esque than having it as a big corporate product. Word is all three will be bundled together once the Match.com unit is spun off this year or next (unlocking shareholder value)

"The app was born in a startup lab controlled by IAC/InterActiveCorp (IACI), Barry Diller’s portfolio of digital companies, which now has a dominant equity stake. Venture capital firms that would otherwise have bid up funding rounds have approached Tinder and struck out

In March 2011, IAC struck a deal with a startup incubator called Hatch Labs to function as a semi-autonomous skunkworks. IAC is an acquisitive company; it had just spent $50 million to buy OkCupid, an upstart challenging its market-leading Match.com unit, which boasts 1.9 million paid subscribers. Why not try to build businesses in-house, before they get pricey? Hatch would operate out of IAC’s offices, and IAC would get first dibs on whatever it dreamed up."

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/201...tches-fire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAC/InterActiveCorp

Quote: (02-16-2014 02:22 AM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Quote: (02-15-2014 03:38 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

Iac/Interactive Corp owns all three, match.com, OKC and Tinder. Hatch Labs is just their way to make Tinder hip and more startup esque than having it as a big corporate product. Word is all three will be bundled together once the Match.com unit is spun off this year or next (unlocking shareholder value)

"The app was born in a startup lab controlled by IAC/InterActiveCorp (IACI), Barry Diller’s portfolio of digital companies, which now has a dominant equity stake. Venture capital firms that would otherwise have bid up funding rounds have approached Tinder and struck out

In March 2011, IAC struck a deal with a startup incubator called Hatch Labs to function as a semi-autonomous skunkworks. IAC is an acquisitive company; it had just spent $50 million to buy OkCupid, an upstart challenging its market-leading Match.com unit, which boasts 1.9 million paid subscribers. Why not try to build businesses in-house, before they get pricey? Hatch would operate out of IAC’s offices, and IAC would get first dibs on whatever it dreamed up."

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/201...tches-fire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAC/InterActiveCorp

from what I've read the OKC acquisition was by Match, under the IAC umbrella, and Tinder is not associated with the two, but still under IAC.

That's like having 3 of your kids compete. Man, they'll compete to their heart's desire, but when push comes to shove (ie, when profit comes to shareholders), IAC is backing them all.

Do you guys actually put your phone numbers in there? I heard it used to spam your contacts...?

Seriously man, I have no luck on Tinder unless a girl writes to me first. Anytime I match with a girl and shoot her a message, it never makes past a couple of exchanges before she goes silent. It's like they don't even want to put the effort into trying to make a conversation, like it's just too much work for them. It's somewhat understandable given that she knows nothing about you and it's hard to have any good conversation that fast with someone on an app that you don't know. As men we are motivated by our desire to get some fresh pussy. But she's not going to have that same motivation toward you. If she writes you first, it means she finds you particularly interesting and is motivated to meet you. The problem with any dating sites or apps is that women's motivation level is way too low. They have the illusion of endless options. If you don't really stand out to her, you don't have much of a chance of getting her face to face.

For you other guys on here, and particularly average looking guys(I take the guy above with over 1000 matches MUST be a pretty boy), how much luck do you have when you have to initiate? What's your fail rate in getting them to meet up versus girls who message you first? I'm starting to feel more and more like writing a girl on a dating site/app is a waste of time. Just put your best photos up and let them contact you. Any chic that doesn't contact you first will very likely flake anyway.