rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is alcohol affecting you more as you get older?

I'm starting to notice that I'm getting a little crazier as a drink the older I'm getting. It's not just the hangovers, but it's like my risk taking has really sky-rocketed. Oddly, in certain ways I'm more responsible and in control (I don't forget things such as my keys, don't try to drive, etc. no matter how wasted I am). But at times I really like taking risks, worse that when I started drinking ages ago (started around 14, I'm 30 now). Really considering giving it up as a whole. Thoughts?

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Alcohol fucks up my sleep more and more as I get older, to the point that I've stopped drinking except when I go out and game chicks. I had 4 drinks last night, went to sleep around midnight, woke up and 12 and couldn't fall asleep anymore. This is pretty typical when I get a few drinks.

It doesn't affect me the night of - I can drink as much as in my younger and more vulnerable years. I require longer to mollify the aftereffects of a hangover.

Speaking of risk-taking, this probably pales in comparison to what it sounds like you do. But here in NYC, I've noticed girls can be quite bold when they're properly sloshed.

I was on the subway once with a bitch, and we'd been drinking in the Lower East Side. Crowded subway at maybe midnight on a weekday. This bitch was giving me a handjob. With almost no cover, only my bag or something like that. But everyone knew what she was doing.

Yeah I'm starting to seek out violence more. Not in a "puff-your-chest" kind of a way, but more for the thrill. Maybe I'm just bored with life.

Quote: (01-31-2014 11:56 PM)nek Wrote:  

Yeah I'm starting to seek out violence more. Not in a "puff-your-chest" kind of a way, but more for the thrill. Maybe I'm just bored with life.

You're one step away from serious danger bro. Might not be a bad idea to put it down for a few months. I'm not saying you're an alcoholic. I'm just saying you might want to take a break.

Any anger issues are not related to the alcohol though. Alcohol is just a mask. An escape.

Putting down the mask will allow you to look at the anger - without judgement or expectation.

Anger is just an emotion. Your emotion is not unique. It is just an emotion that our brain produces. Like the way our heart produces an electrical current that keeps us alive. The brain is just a tool.

And yes, your metabolism slows down as you age so it becomes much harder to clear your system of it. It also effects different people differently - genetically.

Alcohol is fun, but it's also a slippery slop that can quickly put you in situations you weren't anticipating.

Other than recovery time taking longer after a fun night, not so much has changed as I got older with drinking.

Quote: (01-31-2014 11:50 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Alcohol fucks up my sleep more and more as I get older, to the point that I've stopped drinking except when I go out and game chicks. I had 4 drinks last night, went to sleep around midnight, woke up and 12 and couldn't fall asleep anymore. This is pretty typical when I get a few drinks.

Yeah, this. I have also stopped drinking except for when I go out, and now have a limit of 3, preferably 2, drinks. The pre-dawn "wake up" and loss of sleep degrades the next day. I'll probably end up quitting, eventually I'll have one beer and feel like shit for a week.

I say it's putting the "toxic" back in "intoxicated."

Quote: (02-01-2014 01:17 AM)jtbabycarrots Wrote:  

Quote: (01-31-2014 11:56 PM)nek Wrote:  

You're one step away from serious danger bro. Might not be a bad idea to put it down for a few months. I'm not saying you're an alcoholic. I'm just saying you might want to take a break.

Any anger issues are not related to the alcohol though. Alcohol is just a mask. An escape.

Putting down the mask will allow you to look at the anger - without judgement or expectation.

Anger is just an emotion. Your emotion is not unique. It is just an emotion that our brain produces. Like the way our heart produces an electrical current that keeps us alive. The brain is just a tool.

And yes, your metabolism slows down as you age so it becomes much harder to clear your system of it. It also effects different people differently - genetically.

Alcohol is fun, but it's also a slippery slop that can quickly put you in situations you weren't anticipating.

Yeah but I'm not angry in these situations. In fact, it's quite the opposite. It's usually when I'm in a really good mood already. Like I said, It's as if the thrill of drinking in and of itself has dimished, and this just keeps it fun.

For me also it has got worse with time. When I was 20 I could drink 10 beers at night, wake up at 9 and go to work without problems. But now when im 27 sometimes I drink 3-4 beers and I might feel shit and have headache whole day next day. Im thinking its either my metabolism that cant take it anymore or that when I was younger I drank alot more than I do now, maybe its just my body isnt used to it anymore?

Same problem as I got near 30. Hang overs last longer, when I'm drunk my emotions spiral towards dark places, hard liquor wrecks me like a beast (NYE I basically drank five glasses of scotch and six beers, spent the night vomiting and paranoid.) So I have to moderate like no other.

For me, being 45 and getting shit faced is a no no. I'll drink socially, but not to excess. It hurts too bad, and for too long days after. As far as my mood? If I've got a lot of stress going on I'll feel more aggressive, so if I feel my body language changing and my mood getting darker I cut myself off.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

EVERY LITTLE THING YOU DO affects you when you are older.

20s: Eat whatever, sleep whenever, do....whatever.
As you get "older" (everybody's different): Watch what you eat, get a good amount of sleep, back off of the late night boozing. Hell, you can't even f*ck like you use to back in your early years!

Your bodies ability to handle/process alcohol overdosages is largely based on your liver function.

Remember, moderate consumption of alcohol on a daily basis is actually good for you. It's anti-inflammatory and good for your digestive system. Of course, we're talking about decent quality alcohol and not rot gut/cheap swill/mass produced corporate beer.

That being said, your diet and overall health are very important in your ability to process alcohol...and that largely pertains to the FATS you eat in your diet.

The typical fats found in most processed/fast food/convenience food and restaurant food (soybean, canola, corn, sunflower, cotton seed, and even olive oil that is not extra virgin) are all inflammatory oils, and over time, inhibit liver function.

Throw in a lot of sugar/fructose corn syrup etc., which also are hard on your liver, and your bodies ability to handle alcohol overdosage is severely impacted.

Take it from me...I was a binge drinker from the age of 14 to about 35. I'm 40 now, and in the past 5 years, I've gotten drunk only a handful of times.

In all my years as a binge drinker, I've said my prayers to the porcelain god too many times to count. I've had the 2 day hangovers. Been there, done that.

Yet, ever since I fixed my diet and eat a lot of healthy fats in my diet (especially the coconut oil), my liver function is outstanding. I can easily drink 6 beers and 5 drams of whiskey in an evening, and wake up the next morning feeling perfectly fine. (I don't normally drink that much, but going to parties or holiday celebrations, I throw down with all the other drinkers).

If you find yourself drinking around the same amount you always have, but your hangovers or after effects are getting worse, I would say your liver is no longer working as well as it used to. Not only do you need to cut back or quit drinking, but you probably also need to more carefully look at your diet and cut out the inflammatory fats from vegetable oils, up your intake of saturated fats and coconut oil, and cut out sugar/high fructose corn syrup completely.

I have a post about it at my blog in which I've cited several pub med articles on this topic. In short, researchers ran trials with rats, giving them the same dosages of alcohol, but one group was given coconut oil with their feed at every meal, while the other group was given soybean oil.

At the conclusion of the experiment, the rats where killed and then their livers where examined.The coconut oil control group showed zero liver damage and perfect liver function, while the soybean oil group all had fatty liver, liver damage, and obesity.

I also site another study that showed rats that had liver damage from alcohol and polyunsaturated vegetable oils in their diet, where able to completely reverse the liver damage from changing to saturated fats (coconut oil and butter) in their diet.

TL;DR - The fats you eat in a regular basis are very important to how your liver functions. Your liver function determines how quickly it detoxifies alcohol and you recover from over dosages (hangovers), as well as your tolerance.

Fuck, I'm 20 and already can't handle alcohol as it is.

5-6 beers will get me drunk and mildly hungover.

A couple shots with a few mixed drinks will get me very drunk and horribly hungover the next day.

I can't imagine what things will be like as I age.

Then again, I seldomly drink so it's not like I've ever started to build a tolerance.

Yes. Went out last night, drank a bunch, three gin and tonics, two gin cocktails and a beer, but still performed.. Did that twice this week, with a 60hr+ work schedule, smoking cigarettes and banging much younger women. Having fun but I feel like this is accelerating my aging. Two nights this week with under 3 hours sleep. I am 38. Have a babyface. Feel like I am going to lose it if I keep this up..

I don't think it affects me any more than it did when I was a teenager. The difference is, I didn't give a fuck then, but now I do. A hangover was considered an unavoidable part of life, and I would get one whether I had 8 drinks or 25. If you're gonna get one, might as well make it a good one eh?

I used to drink to blackout most times I went out in my teens/early 20's, but now I realise that as a result of that mindset I've lost so many memories, money, friends, and opportunities, and it's just such a fucking waste. Nowadays I might have 3 or 4 throughout a night, just enough to get and maintain a good vibe.

Hangovers hurt with age, but heartbreak gets easier though. You gotta really watch what kind of liquor you drink, and counteract with front loading all the vitamins/minerals that alcohol strips, stop at least an hour before sleeping and get some more h2o, and a light snack to fill the belly. Coconut water is your friend.

I try to avoid dark liquors, and mixing with anything other than ice/h2o. They just hurt me more. Keep your drinks neat. Mixing grape and grain is a killer, no matter what your age. Don't do it. I can still get blistered, wake up still drunk, and work 12 hours in the dead of summer outside in Kuwait for a reason. Its all in the preparation and execution.

I did a post on drinking and aging a while back that guys who are thinking about this may be interested in.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-29245.html

The bottom line, as I discuss in the post, is that not only does alcohol affect you more as you get older, but also hard drinking itself ages you, among other things. I've seen guys age in a hurry because they kept drinking hard well past 30.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

It ages you, as you age you handle it worse.

However, this large (12,000 man) study across widely different cultures
found alcohol consumption was correlated with lower mortality form heart disease. Meat and animal food in general were associated with higher mortality.

The worst thing was butter, the best was legumes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10485342

Qulaity of life-wise, I've become more and more anti-alcohol as I age and see friends stagnate, get fat with drinking, and go off track in their lives.

I myself put on weight I still have not been able to get off years later now that I rarely drink.

The one reasonable excuse I had was I was working a remote and dreary prison and hated it, but needed to save up a certain amount of money and thus could not realistically quit.
To keep going, I felt that I had to drink at night most nights, and drank about 2/3 bottle of wine per night which led to me gaining weight.

in that case, I rationalized drinking as sort of a anesthesia; a way to tolerate an operation that was necessary but temporary.

But just as you may need anesthesia for an operation and it would be insane for your to continue taking those powerful drugs, it's equally insane, once you are in a reasonably rich environment, to continue getting drunk.

The worst thing is the opportunity cost. With the sort of rare exception of social drinking with new and interesting people and finding out things you would not have found out otherwise, time drunk is time spent not learning, not achieving , not practicing as well as you could have.

And overall achieving less in your life.

Quote: (02-02-2014 04:26 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

It ages you, as you age you handle it worse.

However, this large (12,000 man) study across widely different cultures
found alcohol consumption was correlated with lower mortality form heart disease.

This effect vanishes when adjusted for various confounds:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8921452

Quote:Quote:

Int J Epidemiol. 1996 Aug;25(4):753-9.
Alcohol, fish, fibre and antioxidant vitamins intake do not explain population differences in coronary heart disease mortality.
Kromhout D, Bloemberg BP, Feskens EJ, Hertog MG, Menotti A, Blackburn H.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Within the Seven Countries Study data we investigated whether population differences in 25-year mortality rates from coronary heart disease could be explained by population differences in alcohol, fish, fibre and antioxidant intake.
METHODS:

Baseline surveys were carried out between 1958 and 1964, on 12 763 middle-aged men constituting 16 cohorts in seven countries. In 1987 and 1988 equivalent food composites representing the average food intake of each cohort at baseline were collected locally and analysed for their fibre and antioxidant content in one central laboratory. The vital status of all participants was verified at regular intervals over 25 years.
RESULTS:

Alcohol and fish intake were inversely related to 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease in univariate analyses. These associations became non-significant when the confounding effects of saturated fatty acids, flavonoids and smoking were taken into account. Fibre and antioxidant vitamins intake were not related to coronary heart disease mortality in either uni- or multivariate analysis.
CONCLUSION:

These cross-cultural analyses show that alcohol, fish, fibre and antioxidant vitamins do not explain population differences in coronary heart disease mortality, independently of saturated fatty acids and flavonoids intake and cigarette smoking.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Yes, to answer the question.

I'm nursing a mild hangover from last night. The day has been a write off. I don't do this often but it's still too frequent.

I might need to consider the 2014 drinking wagon challenge.

Quote: (02-02-2014 04:26 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

To keep going, I felt that I had to drink at night most nights, and drank about 2/3 bottle of wine per night which led to me gaining weight.

Red wine has the mellowest hangover, at least for me. Liquor is the worst (regardless of top shelf/label) and beer is in the middle, but the kind of beer that doesn't give you a hangover (cheap lite beer) sucks to drink.

Grey Goose seems to be the one spirit I can drink and be ok, provided I'm drinking water between each drink

I'm in my very late 30s.

To avoid hangovers, I drink a lot of water and stick with one kind of alcohol (e.g. Grey Goose only). Hangover headache is caused by lack of water in the brain. That water is being taken by the liver to process alcohol while you sleep. The more water you drink, within reason, the less headache you get.

I was a lightweight anyway with alcohol when I was younger.

Now being older, I am a friggin' bantamweight. About 2 strong drinks and I am toast.

Quote: (02-01-2014 05:44 PM)K Galt Wrote:  

Yet, ever since I fixed my diet and eat a lot of healthy fats in my diet (especially the coconut oil), my liver function is outstanding. I can easily drink 6 beers and 5 drams of whiskey in an evening, and wake up the next morning feeling perfectly fine. (I don't normally drink that much, but going to parties or holiday celebrations, I throw down with all the other drinkers).

Careful with the coconut oil, long term use will fuck up your arteries. Coconut oil contains palmytic and myristic acid in quantities which will raise LDL (bad cholesterol). Other than diets rich in butter, there isn't much worse for you in terms of raising LDL. Agree with the benefits, but mind your cholesterol levels!