rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Surge in Fake OKCupid Accounts (and How to Detect Them)

Is it just me or has there been a big surge in fake accounts on OKC lately? I'm talking like the last couple of months. My theory is that it has something to do with the (new) requirement that you must have a picture on your profile to view others' pictures. Now, people (dudes) who had second accounts for various crypto-purposes have been practically forced into trolling.

But even if that is a factor, that doesn't fully explain the increased level of sophistication in the fakes. I'm surprised at the amount of work that'll go into troll, which I'll end up confirming with a simple reverse-image search or general intuition. I can't help but think that a resource with its own set annoyances (thirsty spammer dudes, SIFs, 6s with the delusions of 8s, et cetera) might be getting a new one.

Have you guys noticed this? What are your theories on why this is? And more importantly, what are your methods for detecting them? Besides, reverse-image searching--which I'm rarely willing to put in the time to do--and a general too-good-to-be-true vibe, I haven't found any other good tells. Well, maybe being way over-the-top sexual and slutty is another one.

Note: This thread is not for the purpose of debating the at-large merits of online dating.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

EDIT: My evidence for the new image requirement being a factor is the fact that I'm also seeing a surge in blank profiles with only one image--clear fakes that only have picture to fulfill the requirement.

I have no idea truthfully, how do you spot them? Care to give any examples?

I've got this smoking, smoking hot chick who wants to play hard to get with her phone number, doesn't want to make plans to meet yet, doesn't use facebook despite having 9+ looks, makes jokes about sleeping around or talking about sexy stuff...

I mean come on.. the only thing stopping me from being dead set sure that this is some gay guy trying to get me to sext him fap material is that none of her pictures showed up in reverse image searches

Girls that are really interested in me are quick to give me their number and often want my facebook to feel more comfortable meeting me off the internet without knowing me..

I even told this girl.. you know this is in the internet.. how do I know you are you? She had a lame response

I even had one girl, with like 5 looks (not even hot), all of a sudden turn into a dude telling me that he isn't trying to freak me out, but he thinks we could vibe.. am I into bi stuff?

smh

I've noticed the same with POF. POf is a lot more popular in Canada so.

I installed an add-on for tineye reverse image search in Firefox. So all i do is "right click" and it'll do the search

Any profile that only has 1 pic is usually a fake
Almost any profile that makes a straight proposition for straight sex.
Profiles that say their looking for fun.

Also with most girls who are easy lays from online rarely present themselves as such initially so when they immediately discuss looking for fun or wanting to explore themselves i assume its a fake.

Not where I am.
I think okc must be made with NYC in mind.

There has been a big increase in trannies calling themselves women, but then putting it somewhere in their profile that they are "trans".

Tuth, try doing this if you haven't already: go to locals and just swipe right rapidly. Okc will message you with the girls that matched you, then you can open them instead wasting your time opening up fake profiles.

Okc is, at it's core, a website for indescretion and secrecy. It's the option for people who don't want to rely on the club to find sex. Now it's even more in that direction with the tinder function- where people are secretly matching each other instead of having to take risk and messaging some profile they are attracted to.

Holy crap didn't see the locals function .. Nice

I'm a flag mod on OKC and I've noticed this gradually over the last few years. Most are just lazy modelmayhem or general model pics easily found by Google image search. The profile to go with them are often highly sexual so they are easily spotted when a dime piece says she's looking for guys in the 18-99 range.

Some weirdos write long elaborate profiles and answer 100s of question and take the pics from some rather small blogger/instagramer. These are the ones you have to watch out for. They are some sick version of online stalkers living out a shadow life of their subject. Making phony plans, and using fake numbers. Really sad stuff.

i just reinstalled my okc, one of the first profiles i saw, i think looks pretty fake,

interested in guys 18 to 40, keeps saying she is dtf and she put up a lot of hot beach photos-basically perfect looking. ah hell, i am messaging her anyways, lol

Good...I hope online dating will die and we can all meet girls in real life and the girls won't have those unrealistic expectations!

Quote: (01-07-2014 01:41 AM)soup Wrote:  

Okc is, at it's core, a website for indescretion and secrecy.
I think its important to remember this, some girls on online dating have boyfriends but are looking for dick on the side, some just log on on a friday or saturday when they are dtf.
We all read that article about the girl who put up the worst profile ever but with a girl who looks like a model. A girl only really needs to put up one pic and the vast majority of guys will still message them, and would still be willing to meet them. Its fine that we are cautious just know that a couple of them just have hangups about being judged for looking for dick on a website.

One time i got an unsolicited message from an empty profile with no pics, she gave me her number and said she could send me pics there if i wanted to. She was cute but i got all paranoid and asked for spoon pics, of course she just said ok nevermind and didnt text again, a month later i was deleting contacts from my phone and i looked at her pic on whatsapp, it was really her and she was really really hot. I missed out on a booty call for being too paranoid.

How on earth do you know it was 'really her?' why couldn't it still be a SIF?

Here's a common type of fake (since someone above asked to see an example). The profile is blank, apart from the biographical data, and pictures are too good to be true. This one is kind of obvious, but they can get way more subtle. Notice, though, this person didn't just add one pic--which is all they needed to see others' peoples pictures--they added three.

Imagine if, like many others do, they'd bothered to add some text into the profile.

[Image: attachment.jpg16353]   

[Image: attachment.jpg16355]   

Last time i checked she had a full body pic where you could also see her face as her profile pic on whatsapp. Why would anyone create a fake profile on the internet and also go and buy an extra SIM card with a burner cellphone just to trick some guy on the internet?

Its not the first time something like this happened to me, i messaged with girls who i thought no way could be real because they only had a pic and were more good looking than the average on the website, with some of them i just wrote their first name on google plus twitter or facebook and usually they pop up on the first page.

Why is it so hard to believe that a girl would be looking for some random dick on a dating site?

I think this counts as getting too paranoid from reading a rare case of catfish (if you watched the show you would see that those guys are hopeless omegas) on the internet and thinking that every other case is bound to be the same.

Quote: (01-07-2014 05:13 PM)dog24 Wrote:  

I hope i dont get banned for this but i think this counts as getting too paranoid from reading a rare case of catfish

That's the whole point of the thread, to establish how common these are in your areas. In the case of mine, they absolutely aren't rare. And they have--without question--proliferated in recent months. The example I've given is one of many. Also keep in mind that a lot of guys may not have the acumen I have in detecting subtler cases of fakes. I'm pretty sure I have above-average Internet detective skills.

I did just did a Google search and turned this up. Clearly I'm not the only one noticing this. This is only from a couple of weeks ago. The guy didn't get any answers, just trolled by some herb-looking dude.

Is anyone noticing the great influx of fake profiles?

The one tell that I've noticed is that fake profiles usually have pictures of a girl by herself. The typical American girl pulls her profile pictures off of Facebook, which usually include her group of slutty friends or male orbiters. This isn't perfect. I myself made a female OkCupid profile before starting my real profile, and I used a 7 with her friends instead of the model mayhem outtakes common to the troll profile. I also filled in the profile with brief answers that a girl might say. It was equal parts [Image: troll.gif] and education.

I haven't noticed this yet, but I've backed off OKC game in the past two months.

What is the game of these profiles? Are they phishing for embarrassing info or just trolling for amusement?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Quote: (01-07-2014 07:37 PM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

I haven't noticed this yet, but I've backed off OKC game in the past two months.

What is the game of these profiles? Are they phishing for embarrassing info or just trolling for amusement?

I have a fake account, and use it to look at and search for women so they do not constantly see how "masterthespian visited your profile!"

I also use it to see if any guys use any decent openers.

Some of the fakes use straight-up stock photography, and don't even bother to crop out the stock-photography watermarks. Apart from dudes using fake accounts for the the purpose that master_thespian mentions above, I can't help but think that all of the blogs and articles of people running "experiments" or looking for lulz to populate their sites are driving a lot of these.

[Image: attachment.jpg16359]   

[Image: attachment.jpg16360]   

This one looks fake to me. I'm not sure why anyone would want to spend the time necessary to maintain fake OkCupid accounts.

This fake account has three pictures, so Tuthmosis' theory about the requirement to post a picture doesn't account for it.

I actually suspect that the fakes may be being used for some kind of blackmailing/racket setup.

Anyone who's familiar with the concept of E-Whoring (it's basically fake girl's who offer nudes or sexual favors over CL or chat rooms, only to extort money) might see why E-whore's would branch out.

A lot of people are weak with online security, it wouldn't be hard trick some dude into sending dick pics/talking dirty and then threatening to send the material out unless he pays money.

Scammers could also hit up betas to give them money or something like that as well.

Just my theory.

The locals thing just got me laid. Tangent..

I will update this thread on if my probable fake ends up fake or not

what is this locals thing? how do I unlock it?

edit, it is just the quick match on the phone app? yes it is awesome.

How do you reverse image-search when on mobile? For example with skout, wechat, etc?