rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Planning My First Significant Trip

I'm going about planning my first significant travel trip. I say significant because I have done some traveling, but mainly for the purpose of music festivals / partying in general. I've been around a few places in the U.S., Cancun (spring break), and my company takes us to a place in the Caribbean once a year for a four day long shit show (all employee "meeting") which is always good (D.R. food is horrendous, by the way).

But, I'm in my late 20s, and I've never travelled with the intent of enjoying another culture. Or learning anything. I believe my first trip is going to see a few sights I've always wanted to see. I've been interested in ancient civilizations since I was younger. A few examples of sights I would like to see:

Ancient ruins
Pyramids
Caves/caverns

I'm torn between: Teotihuacan Mexico, Lima Peru, and Belize. I'm leaning towards Peru, since it has Machu Picchu, the nazca lines, and the sacred valley. Mexico is a close second because of the pyramid of the sun and the many caves it's known for.

I've done a bit of research online, and there are a few "guided" tours through Peru, although I'm not sold on doing these, since it seems it would be very "tourist-y", as opposed to making the effort myself. But either way.

My question to the experience travelers on the forum is: have any of you guys been to any of these sites? Is it a lot of trouble to book on your own, or did you use an agency to book? Any dangers I should know about? Or just any useful information in general would be greatly appreciated.

A few things of note:

- I'm strongly considering bringing my dad along on this trip. He would get a kick out of all this
- I have my passport, but am not sure what else I may need (especially since some of the sites may spill over into neighboring countries).
- I'm not too limited on budget, I've got about $5,000 to throw at this trip. I can easily budget more if needed, but I wouldn't want to go crazy, if possible.
- I speak a little bit of Spanish, but probably not enough to avoid getting screwed over by cab drivers. I'll probably start brushing up this year on it.

Thanks in advance for the tips/suggestions.

ryanf most of the information you're looking for can be found in typical travel guides. Do you plan on banging any local girls or is this going to be Lonely Planet type travel? Please do not bring your dad...that would be a mistake and utterly screw your logistics should you desire to sleep with a girl.

Lima is extremely well touristed, so you really can't go too wrong. Get into the country and book tours from there. You will get scammed by taxi drivers...it's just a rite of passage. The amounts are inconsequential.

I know it could be found, but I wouldn't mind hearing some anecdotes - maybe a story about somewhere interesting to go that I haven't heard of, maybe someone recommends not going there at all, stuff that I would trust the guys on here to tell honestly. Travel guides are always biased.

It's not going to be a trip about notches; I'm not saying I wouldn't partake, but I'm certainly not making it my main focus. I've done that before, and it's always fun, but I want to make a trip where that is secondary or less. But, if I end up staying longer than 4-5 days, I can put some energy towards that.

The only reason I am leaning towards not bringing my dad is because he is getting older and having some hip issues, and I'm not sure how much physical endurance is required for this trip yet. But he is (and always has been) a player. He would aid in my hunt, if anything. But he is getting up there in age.