rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have minimalist shoes changed the size of your feet?

I thought I was going crazy because all of my shoes were suddenly too big, even ones I had barely worn since buying. I did some searching and apparently it's pretty common when people make the switch to more minimalistic footwear. Some report their feet getting bigger, but there are also people who've gotten shorter like me, including a notable track athlete named Alan Webb. Apparently it has to do with your arch become flatter or more pronounced?

For those of you who workout/run in minimalist or barefoot style shoes, did you notice a change in the size of your feet?

I'm debating whether I should ebay some of my shoes since I have a few pairs that are in great condition and are simply unwearable at this point. They still sit fine on my feet but they're not filled out vertically towards the toe, which gives them a long, flat effect that looks terrible. But I'm concerned my feet are going to fuck around and get bigger as soon as I size down [Image: lol.gif]

P.S. I know your shoe size can drop with your weight but mine has been pretty consistent. If you have any other theories though, feel free to share.

Interesting, I started doing my leg exercises barefoot after I got a small joint effusion. Shoe size is still a 10-10.5 though.

Quote: (12-31-2013 06:16 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Interesting, I started doing my leg exercises barefoot after I got a small joint effusion. Shoe size is still a 10-10.5 though.

I think it's tied to running in them. Running forums are where I've found the most discussion about it. I don't do much distance but I try to knock out a mile or two and some wind sprints at least once a week. The less supportive footwear forces you to change your running style and hits different muscles in your legs and feet. Plus, I ride my bike pretty often, do plyometrics, and lift, all in the same minimalist shoe.

When I use to run with my Vibrams they use to make the loudest noise ever on the treadmill,

Was a little painful at first to run outdoors in them as well,

I'd personally just go with the lightest shoes I can find, which usually are quite minimal, and nope no change whatsover in feet size, but i'm already flat footed

^Are you a mid-foot or forefoot striker? I'm wondering if the people that experienced their foot flattening or remaining flat could be mid-foot strikers, while people who's arches have deepened are forefoot strikers like myself. Also curious if it could have something to do with whether they run for distance or speed.

Mostly I'm just concerned about having to replace my shoe collection though [Image: tard.gif]

I think it makes the ball of your foot wider, so you need a wider toebox. Your spreading toes out when you walk for one thing which the foot was originally designed to do. Not sure when they started make the toe box narrow but its not really a natural shape for the foot.

Maybe it makes a difference if you wear footwear 24 hours a day, but walking around barefoot in your home, beach, or in the woods if you are a shape shifter I'd think balances out any "squeezing" footwear might do. I wear KSO's but only when working out. Running around the house barefoot is far more common.

I used to wear a size 12, and now I'm a size 11. My arches were slightly flat, but just recently I had to stretch out a couple pair of dress shoes that were too tight in the arches. I use the Vibram Five Fingers in the gym, and for short treadmill runs, and sprints. But when it's time to run outside (that shit ain't happening in Chicago right now) I use the New Balance Minimus. It gives me more cushioning for pounding the pavement.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Quote: (01-01-2014 02:03 PM)vinman Wrote:  

I used to wear a size 12, and now I'm a size 11. My arches were slightly flat, but just recently I had to stretch out a couple pair of dress shoes that were too tight in the arches. I use the Vibram Five Fingers in the gym, and for short treadmill runs, and sprints. But when it's time to run outside (that shit ain't happening in Chicago right now) I use the New Balance Minimus. It gives me more cushioning for pounding the pavement.

I wear Merrell Bare Access 2 for pretty much everything, which are similar to the Minimus. Haven't made the jump to a fully "barefoot" shoe.

I went and tried on shoes today...I'm at least half a size down but some of the shoes that fit in the toe were too narrow for the rest of my foot.