rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Recommend me a brand of whey protien that tastes like fruit!

I'm tired of mixing my whey protein with milk and trying to down it. After about the 4th serving of the day I become so grossed out by the flavor and texture that im really struggling to gulp it down and not gag it back up. It really does become a chore by the last glass of the day. Not to mention the gastric upset and intense shitting sessions that follow due to all the lactic acid.

Why don't I mix it with water instead, you say? Because chocolate powder mixed with water tastes fucking nasty. The same goes for Vanilla, strawberry creme, cookies and creme and chocolate milkshake flavors. All the "creamy" flavors are fucking gross in water, and only marginally better-tasting in milk.

Can you guys recommend me any decent whey protein brands with say, something like fruit punch as a flavor instead? I want something I can mix with water and drink down quickly without puking it out my nose. I don't necessarily need something as high-quality or expensive as Optimum Nutrition, just one that tastes like Orange, Cherry, Strawberry, Grape etc.

I would optimistically like to spend $30 or less. Im used to buying the Body Fortress $16 tubs at Wal Mart so I really don't want to drop a significant amount.

Thanks in advance.

I have never tried a fruit flavored protein. They are out there tho and I have had fruit flavored creatine and pre-workout mixes that have not been terribly bad.

I just kind of look at protein like feeding the machine. I'm not drinking it cause I love the way it taste and I like to have a cool watery protein shake to unwind when I get home from work. I'm drinking it for the benefits it gives my body not cause I love the taste. You just gotta kind of man up. I do know where you are coming from tho. When I was working out everyday extra hard and drinking a shake every morning, post work out, in the afternoon, then a Casein shake before bed every night 7 days a week.... after the first month of that I was ready to quit protein and working out ha. Fortunetly I was seeing great results that helped to change my mind set to if this is what I wanna do and how I wanna look drinking shakes is part of the game. Then I just pretty much had a whole new outlook on it and thought about it like putting gas in my car. It sucks to do and gets expensive but if I wanna get where I am going it needs to be done.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Ive spent 3+ year periods drinking this shit without any breaks in excess of 150g a day. So im quite familiar with manning up and drinking it down.

I just want something that tastes similar to creatine in terms of its flavoring. I don't get why whey always has some shitty chocolate flavor when creatine is flavored like candy in comparison. Also taking 8 or 9 shits a day becomes a bit old, and I don't want to consume that much milk anyway.

Gold Standard has a banana creme and strawberry flavor whey that everyone on the internet says taste decent. I have had the Gold Standard mocha cappuccino and its pretty damn delicous as far as proteins go. I would drink it every morning and it really does taste like a cappuccino.
They got a tropical punch flavor whey.... dunno nothing about it but it could be what your looking for.
It would be nice if the tropical punch was good then it would mix with creatine and you could kill two birds with one stone. I mixed choclate whey and fruit punch creatine one time..... it made me feel pretty ill

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-30-2013 11:47 PM)AfgScarface Wrote:  

Ive spent 3+ year periods drinking this shit without any breaks in excess of 150g a day. So im quite familiar with manning up and drinking it down.

I just want something that tastes similar to creatine in terms of its flavoring. I don't get why whey always has some shitty chocolate flavor when creatine is flavored like candy in comparison. Also taking 8 or 9 shits a day becomes a bit old, and I don't want to consume that much milk anyway.

Talk to MikeCF i remember him mentioning some raw chocolate ones that are awesome.

I've used a few different brands, but I always went for banana flavour with each. I used to drink shakes with milk, but when I cut out milk to get rid of bacne I found that what tastes good with milk doesn't necessarily taste good with water and vice versa.

Bulk nutrients brand is the best I've tasted with milk, but is not so good with water. Although this probably isn't much use to anyone outside australia.

The best I've tasted with water is BNRG Proto whey.

Worst of the ones I've tried is Optimum nutrition Tastes like medicine, whatever you mix it with. Avoid.

Every fruit flavored protein I've ever tried is nasty. Try Optimum Nutrition vanilla in orange juice if you're going for pure taste. Surprisingly pretty good.

Aziz Nuts in yo mothafuckin' mouth - @aziz_nuts

Cheap protein is going to taste like shit and mix poorly.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein...in+isolate

This is all I use. You can mix a scoop in just 8 ozs of water with a few shakes of a blender bottle without it sticking to the side or clumping. It doesn't taste like anything, no sugar or carbs, so none of that bloated feeling you get from drinking Body Fortress and milk.

Quote: (12-31-2013 01:02 AM)Enigma Wrote:  

Cheap protein is going to taste like shit and mix poorly.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein...in+isolate

This is all I use. You can mix a scoop in just 8 ozs of water with a few shakes of a blender bottle without it sticking to the side or clumping. It doesn't taste like anything, no sugar or carbs, so none of that bloated feeling you get from drinking Body Fortress and milk.

Nice, this is the closest suggestion so far in terms of what im looking for.

The only drawback I see is that the 1.5 lb tub only contains 16 servings! So at 4 servings a day you would only have 4 days worth of powder?! Damn, this totally fits the bill, too.

Yeah, the 5 pounder is a much better value. This stuff blows every other powder I've tried out of the water though.

NOW also makes a strawberry flavor. I tried it and enjoyed it. I haven't bought it again because I prefer the gold standard chocolate.

I have also added vanilla flavored whey to smoothies with mango, banana and frozen black cherries. Depending on your goals and diet, this may be too much sugar but I enjoy it before workouts on occasion.

Also, if the lactose is bothering you from the milk, have you considered using almond milk instead? Less carbs and it tastes just fine to me in a shake.

Syntrax Nectar is the best fruit flavored protein, a little bit expensivr though.

http://www.olympushealth.com/olympus-hea...n-5kg.html

5kg for £32.99 - I've only tried strawberry flavour but it's the first whey I've actually enjoyed the flavour of (with milk).

Not sure about shipping overseas but it's the cheapest (quality) product I've found in the UK.

I tried Protein Water recently which was very easy to drink. It was on special offer at the time (and still is) but I don't think i'd buy it at full price.

Quote: (01-06-2014 06:41 AM)Scuba_Instructor Wrote:  

http://www.olympushealth.com/olympus-hea...n-5kg.html

5kg for £32.99 - I've only tried strawberry flavour but it's the first whey I've actually enjoyed the flavour of (with milk).

Not sure about shipping overseas but it's the cheapest (quality) product I've found in the UK.

Thanks for plugging me .

I just purchased the chocolate flavour . £33 + shipping is great value for 5 Kilos . I certainly couldn't any cheaper .

+1 from me .

This thread was so long ago I forgot I even made it!

For the record I just gave up whey protein altogether. The bloated, uneasy feeling, the 12 shits a day I would have to take, the disgusting texture no matter how well its shaken or stirred. I decided its just not worth it. Have you ever come home half drunk some nights and then realize you still have 2 scoops to meet your protein quota? Bleh..

I start my day with 5 hard boiled eggs and a bagel for breakfast, every day. Ill have a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch as an in-between snack and have some sort of pasta dinner or something like that. Whey just doesn't feel natural, not to mention how rapidly my gains seemed to disappear the second I would stop taking it. Not so much with real food.

I think that the iso-pure pineapple orange banana and the alpine punch aren't that bad. It is kind of pricey though @ $2 per serving @ 50g of protein

Its probably because you buy cheap protein that you feel bloated, uneasy, diuretic, etc. Look up youtube videos on what makes a good or shit protein powder.

I started drinking Muscle Pharm Combat powder since December 2014 and its great. It has a wide variety of wheys including casein so it will feed your muscles for up to 8 hours as it claims. Also has benefits of added glutamine and BCAAs, not that that is very important. Whats important is that it taste absolutely delicious with water, and mixed easily in my shaker bottle.

I dont throw my powders in a blender with fruits and shit because i find it gets too foamy. Just water and powder. For combat powder i've tried:
Cookies and cream = delicious
banana and cream = also quite good.

The best deal I've found on the stuff has been from costco but here in Canada they only carry Cookies and cream. I've been buying it for a little more expensive over bodybuilding.com to try the different flavors. Just ordered Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Right now I take 7 scoops a day so having something that taste good and has a balanced nutritional profile is important.

Also I'm almost out of combat powder so i tried 2 vegan protein powders and they taste like absolute shit.
Vege Pro-7
Nova Forme Phytopro
Both in chocolate.

This stuff is the best protein I've ever bought.

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-cat...otein.html

It's pure isolate for a very reasonable price. Better than I could find anywhere else.

Mixes perfectly in milk or water.

Personally I go with unflavoured but the banana one tastes amazing.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

I like Designer Whey Strawberry. Tastes great, and mixes very well.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/22410...72&veh=sem

This stuff is a premixed shot of whey protein. The link is for watermelon flavor, but they have fruit punch and grape, too. I get it at Walmart, but it probably could be found other places. It's 42 grams of protein, it tastes fruity, and it goes down real easy.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Quote: (12-30-2013 11:59 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Gold Standard has a banana creme and strawberry flavor whey that everyone on the internet says taste decent. I have had the Gold Standard mocha cappuccino and its pretty damn delicous as far as proteins go. I would drink it every morning and it really does taste like a cappuccino.
They got a tropical punch flavor whey.... dunno nothing about it but it could be what your looking for.
It would be nice if the tropical punch was good then it would mix with creatine and you could kill two birds with one stone. I mixed choclate whey and fruit punch creatine one time..... it made me feel pretty ill

I've always used Gold Standard strawberry flavour whey. Just tastes like strawberry milkshake - that shit is delicious; I'm always tempted to drink more than my fill because it's just damn tasty.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

If you're looking for a cheap, healthy alternative to WHEY, and have a blender, try making smoothies with 6 eggs, pumpkin seeds and goji berries (+veggies of course).

I've heard that whey protein might be bullshit anyway, as it's just the left-over shit from milk production... I could be wrong, but regardless it's probably better to consume protein from whole food sources and not a powder.

Again, I don't know your stance on it, nor if you have a blender or any interest to be healthy. However most people only focus on getting protein in, and neglect all other nutrients that our body also needs which could definitely help you not only put on weight, but also feel better too.

If you have a blender, try it... Eggs are cheap, pumpkin seeds and are cheap and goji berries are a little more expensive but a super food and won't work out to being more than a $90 bucket of protein powder, per serving anyway.

Captain Chardonnay,

Guilty as charged. I bought the six star brand of protein from wal mart routinely. It was simply what I could afford, I think it was like $16 a tub. This may be why I had such unpleasant effects.

Nevertheless, I stick with whole foods now. I was reading some articles on SEALfit, the training program and it mentioned that Navy SEALs are heavily discouraged from taking protein powders. just food for thought.

Quote: (03-05-2015 04:50 PM)AfgScarface Wrote:  

Captain Chardonnay,

Guilty as charged. I bought the six star brand of protein from wal mart routinely. It was simply what I could afford, I think it was like $16 a tub. This may be why I had such unpleasant effects.

Nevertheless, I stick with whole foods now. I was reading some articles on SEALfit, the training program and it mentioned that Navy SEALs are heavily discouraged from taking protein powders. just food for thought.

Theres a misconception about protein powder that I want to address.

Also I'm ex Canadian military and wanted to try out for selection (there was a guy from my unit who passed the selection physical but failed the swim test) so if you want a perspective from that angle here is my take.

Protein powder is just food. You can't compare protein powder supplement to a pre-workout supplement because one is just food and the other is meant to enhance performance. SEALs are discouraged from taking performance enhancers because the whole point of selection is to see if you have the mental fortitude to bear the pressures of high stress situations and if you're disciplined enough to physically prepared yourself for it.

I have compared protein powder with free range egg whites and for the amount of protein, carbs, and fats, protein powder is cheaper coming to around $1/scoop while if I were to eat the equivalent (protein, fat) in egg whites, it would be almost the whole container which is $4.

With SEAL selection, they want to push you physically and mentally and they do that by sleep deprivation, physical exhaustion mixed in with poor nutrition.

If you are training to become a SEAL then you should give your body the absolute best nutrients so that you go into selection 100% physically ready with a body of an athlete. If you're not training to become a SEAL then why does it matter?