rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mercedes SL?

Mercedes SL?

Allo everyone,
What's the general consensus on a R129 SL600? I'd modernize it with the full AMG trimmings. Something in the ballpark of this:

[Image: 600-01.JPG]

They're inexpensive to purchase, but the maintenance is going to suck because of the V12, and it's going to chug gas. But do you think it's classy/old money, or a poor man's Merc? I think it's cool, should be more reliable than an R230 hardtop convertible. Since I'm young, I don't want to look like a tool.

Thanks everyone!

Mercedes SL?

The SL600 is a beast, but...

1. Get ready to spend a shit ton of $ on gas

2. Maintenance on a SL600 will not be cheap. At all.

3. How many miles does it have?

4. They are dope cars, but how much are you potentially spending?

5. Style is pretty outdated for Benz.

I was at a car auction a couple of years ago and they had one with BULLETPROOF windows. All white, mint condition but it had 120k miles.

I almost pulled the trigger on it for novelty sake, but didn't.

Auction Selling price? $2,850.00

Mercedes SL?

Quote: (12-28-2013 03:41 PM)McQueensPlayboyRules Wrote:  

The SL600 is a beast, but...

1. Get ready to spend a shit ton of $ on gas

2. Maintenance on a SL600 will not be cheap. At all.

3. How many miles does it have?

4. They are dope cars, but how much are you potentially spending?

5. Style is pretty outdated for Benz.

I was at a car auction a couple of years ago and they had one with BULLETPROOF windows. All white, mint condition but it had 120k miles.

I almost pulled the trigger on it for novelty sake, but didn't.

Auction Selling price? $2,850.00

No worries on gas, we write it off and my truck uses a ton of it already. Maintenance is going to be a bitch but I do most of my own work already, should help a bit. Mileage is ~70k, they sell for $10k or less around here. I've found a prime example, $13k. The styling is the biggest drawback for me. I love the straight line look, but it definitely needs to be brought up to date.

So the question lingers, should I cop it or drop it? xD

About the windows, you sure they were bulletproof? That's some heavy shit, and the SL doesn't seem like the best vehicle to armor. There is a lot of confusion on Mercedes windows, many cars have double pane glass and the idea that they're bulletproof has developed. Every guy on Craigslist with an old Benz is claiming that his has bulletproof glass.

Mercedes SL?

I wouldn't do it. Seems really outdated and something I'd see a middle-aged woman driving. Then I'd think something like...well her husband bought her this when times were better and she hasn't been able to upgrade since. It just strikes me as one of those kind of cars.

However, I'm a big car guy and I have my unique tastes as well, so if you really like it, fuck what anyone thinks and get it.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Mercedes SL?

Yes, they were definitely bulletproof, but I know what you mean about Benz windows.

That's low miles, but I would pass.

Mercedes SL?

How old is that car? Isn't it from the 90s.

I see middle age men driving them, people might think it is your dad's car.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Mercedes SL?

Looks hood rich to me.
What's your car budget? Personally I'd rather have a E46 M3, or a Z4 Coupe, but then again I'm more of a sports car type of guy.

Mercedes SL?

Everyone who buys V12 Benz out of warranty cries when they break. The 8s are good though and fun- solid cars. Avoid flashy colors and black or you look like a try hard.

Mercedes SL?

I really liked the look of that SL when it came out, but I think now it looks more dated than classic.

As others have mentioned, MB maintenance costs are way high. They aren't designed for DIY servicing. I know some MB models used to have proprietary screws holding an engine cover on top of the engine, to make it even harder for the owner to do their own service.

Mercedes SL?

My close friend has this car (lower model, not SL600, but it had the AMG kit). He bought it second hand a few years back. Been out as his wing on many nights out with that car.

Yes it's old (1995 model?). The hardtop can be taken off and left in your house or garage. The previous owner somehow 'lost' the hardtop portion so he bought the car 'as is' and just cruises around with the canvas convertible.

When he got the car, there were numerous problems - noises from the bumper area, wheel issues etc...the worst one was a problem with the convertible roof mechanism. For the longest time after buying it he had roof issues, the convertible roof just wouldn't open. A funny incident happened one day when the mechanism just decided to start working again one evening when he was out cruising with his model girlfriend (now his wife). He decided to try the switch and it worked, much to their surprise but something else happened too. Some kind if oil tube on the mechanism started spewing forth black oil on the both of them! It ruined his interior too, he had the interior redone after that.

In terms of poosy pulling power - let's face it, chicks know it's an old car. The single significant impact it has on chicks is the convertible roof. I noticed that once he gets chicks in his car he would open the top up and chicks would completely forget it's an old car. Roadside bystanders would see a convertible with a pretty chick in the passenger seat. It's all about the roof.

He has now put the car on sale and now driving his company Lexus.

Mercedes SL?

Have you done any research into Mercedes V12 engines?

They are absolute monsters to maintain.

Mercedes SL?

Quote: (12-29-2013 02:34 AM)AfgScarface Wrote:  

Have you done any research into Mercedes V12 engines?

They are absolute monsters to maintain.

^^^What he said

If the engine goes you might as well junk the car

Mercedes SL?

It would have been a cool car just for the v12. Decided against it after seeing a 500 on the street today, I could tell it was pretty old and not in a good way. Maybe one day...

Mercedes SL?

I would prefer the Boxster over that lol

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Mercedes SL?

I don't think the R129 is getting enough credit though.

That entire generation had, undoubtedly, the most supreme cars in the entire contemporary Mercedes Benz history. Designed by Bruno Sacco, one of the most influential car designers of all time. Every aspect of those cars down to the last nut and bolt is over engineered to an almost inconceivable degree. The only problem with the car you're looking at is the V12 engine. Even when they were new those engines were a nightmare to maintain. The V8 would be a much more practical choice in comparison.

For all its worth, I think that Benz in the picture has a far cooler vibe and character than any of their other models from 2000 onward, aside from the obvious choices like the SLS and AMG models.

2pac had one, lets just put it that way.

Mercedes SL?

I still keep stumbling on the R129 lol. The 500 is much more affordable than the 600, and it's still powerful enough. I like the fact that there's no stupid power hardtop to break on me lol.

Also, to the R129's credit:

The SL73 AMG. Has the Zonda engine inside :o

[Image: SL73.JPG]

Mercedes SL?

Quote: (12-31-2013 09:56 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

I still keep stumbling on the R129 lol. The 500 is much more affordable than the 600, and it's still powerful enough. I like the fact that there's no stupid power hardtop to break on me lol.

Also, to the R129's credit:

The SL73 AMG. Has the Zonda engine inside :o

[Image: SL73.JPG]

Too bad they never brought the SL73 to the US.

If I was looking for something reliable & reasonable to own I would go for the SL300. Besides most women wont be able to tell whether it has 6, 8, or 12 cyl.

Mercedes SL?

Quote: (12-28-2013 06:28 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Everyone who buys V12 Benz out of warranty cries when they break. The 8s are good though and fun- solid cars. Avoid flashy colors and black or you look like a try hard.

Exactly. Many issues with the V12s.

Mercedes SL?

I've heard of nightmares with the BMW 850's V12 engines, stuff about Nikasil.
I think the 8 series look badass but the pop up lights are a turn off. If I could make them fixed, I'd have one right now lol.
If I get a V12, it definitely won't be a practical decision whatsoever. Nothing screams Russian Mafia quite like an old, black, German V12 car lol.

What's the take on the older CL600s?